Thread: Massive fire engulfs West London highrise

Massive fire engulfs West London highrise

You don't see many fires in major cities anymore - wonder what went wrong here. No word on any deaths

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/13/europe...tes/index.html

Deadly Grenfell Tower Fire in London

My heart goes out to the victims both living and deceased, and to London. This is so sad and I know there will be a backlash behind this...
    Last edited by cindyt; 06-15-2017 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Fixed link

They are showing on the news at the moment, the press are going round picking up lumps of charred insulating foam...

I hope it's not another Station...

I have always wondered how the fire depts. would deal with high rise fires. i always think about it when I go downtown and see all the tall bldgs. worst fear ever

They weren't able to go above the 10th floor last night, today the got inside and went up but the building is still burning, they've no idea how many people are dead inside.

London has been though hell these last few weeks. My prayers to all.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by spookydel View Post
    They are showing on the news at the moment, the press are going round picking up lumps of charred insulating foam...

I hope it's not another Station...
    First thing I thought of.

I'm not feeling any real emotions from the purported witnesses and survivors.

This lady is laughing before her cue, then suddenly goes into character and puts on her frowny face just after the 4:05 mark-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yecWfSahdOA&t=310s

There's this guy looking down the entire time, sounding like he's reciting a bunch of talking points about remembering to thank the firefighters and such. He hides a fit of duping delight at 1:40-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRBFMEgY4MQ

I've seen three different interviews with this man in his bathrobe. In one, he explained that he had time to put on his dressing gown before tucking his baby into it and leaving with his girlfriend. Of course, the bathrobe evokes much more pity in the viewer than if he had simply put on his coat.
    In this interview, he holds his toddler AND HER TOY SHEEP. Really?! It can't be a doll or teddy bear? Nothing subtle there-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFTLqOFX_Co

And after this interview, he walks behind the reporter and laughs, from about 1:25 to 1:30-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpqE6Zk1Hng&t=0s

Where is anyone with dirty clothes or soot under their nostrils?
    Last edited by RodentLady; 06-14-2017 at 11:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by RodentLady View Post
    I'm not feeling any real emotions from the purported witnesses and survivors.

This lady is laughing before her cue, then suddenly goes into character and puts on her frowny face just after the 4:05 mark-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yecWfSahdOA&t=310s

There's this guy looking down the entire time, sounding like he's reciting a bunch of talking points about remembering to thank the firefighters and such. He hides a fit of duping delight at 1:40-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRBFMEgY4MQ

I've seen three different interviews with this man in his bathrobe. In one, he explained that he had time to put on his dressing gown before tucking his baby into it and leaving with his girlfriend. Of course, the bathrobe evokes much more pity in the viewer than if he had simply put on his coat.
    In this interview, he holds his toddler AND HER TOY SHEEP. Really?! It can't be a doll or teddy bear? Nothing subtle there-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFTLqOFX_Co

And after this interview, he walks behind the reporter and laughs, from about 1:25 to 1:30-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpqE6Zk1Hng&t=0s

Where is anyone with dirty clothes or soot under their nostrils?
    I think the guy you saw being interviewed ( they interviewed him a lot ) was given the sheep for his daughter as there were loads of charities at that point giving out toys , drinks , clothes .
    The guy that looked down all the time could have been embarrassed to be giving an interview on tv , but I take your point - you can't tell if he's about to laugh or cry .

I can't understand people who can calmly report on horrific events without breaking down or shaking either -I'm damn sure I wouldn't have been "together "
    enough to be coherent ,let alone give an interview after seeing such terrible events .But plenty of people do .It does make you wonder sometimes - it's the reason why I always felt the McCanns couldn't be taken seriously .
    Up until last year my son lived on the 10th floor of one of the tower blocks in London - luckily , it had no cladding ( if that turns out to be the cause ) but it did have a fire .The fire was contained in the one flat it started in , it didn't torch like this one.
    I don't think this was a hoax or fake news , but you can bet your bottom dollar that the media will play up the guy who says it was his fridge that started it , and cutbacks by the government making it unsafe by skimming shoddy materials .I hope to God they find out the truth .

I merged the police blotter thread with this one, because, for now, the cause has not been revealed. If it is found to be a criminal act I'll move it to PB.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

death toll could rise to over a 100

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...arch-grenfell/

People say this reminds them of the Station, To me it reminds me of the Winecoff Hotel fire, people were trapped on the upper floors, firemen couldn't get to them as the ladders were too short, people jumping out of windows, dropping children, or just waiting to be rescued or for death.

one survivor reporting that there had been code violations cited in the past and that just before the fire, he heard explosions and saw blue flames, sounds like someone messed up when they put a new gas line in, you see blue flames it's a sign of a gas leak, looks like someone's faulty fridge may have caused a something to spark and there was possibly gas fumes in the air and bam, it hasn't been confirmed yet but reading this article makes me feel that is what happened.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...-will-examine/
    Last edited by pkstracy; 06-15-2017 at 01:36 PM.

From some of the pics I've seen, the outside looks like burning, dripping plastic. Such a horrible way to die.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Last edited by Mansfield67; 06-15-2017 at 04:23 PM.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Suspicious much? I wonder when they will reveal that person's name?

His name is Behailu Kebede, and he says his fridge somehow exploded. If that happened to me, my instinct would be to get out fast and alert as many people as possible. Not get out my suitcases and or bags and pack ! Something wrong with this story.
    Last edited by Mansfield67; 06-15-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I merged the police blotter thread with this one, because, for now, the cause has not been revealed. If it is found to be a criminal act I'll move it to PB.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    His name is Behailu Kebede, and he says his fridge somehow exploded. If that happened to me, my instinct would be to get out fast and alert as many people as possible. Not get out my suitcases and or bags and pack ! Something wrong with this story.
    Sounds like arson to me.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

It's starting to show up in comments from online papers. If it is arson, the question is why.

Behailu Kebede had his stuff packed and ready to bug out. Defiantly arson. Now the big question is motive. Hate crime, Terrorism, Revenge or Money. Plus criminal charges against whoever owned that plastic coated death trap.

It's starting to show up in comments from online papers. If it is arson, the question is why.
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Behailu Kebede had his stuff packed and ready to bug out. Defiantly arson. Now the big question is motive. Hate crime, Terrorism, Revenge or Money. Plus criminal charges against whoever owned that plastic coated death trap.
    Or thrill, Mr. Clean and Masns.

I don't buy him packing his bags during the fire. Who does that? We've had fire alarms go off here and we got the hell out pronto (false alarms). No, he had them packed before the fire, betcha. I saw a caption under his photo yesterday that said he was devastated. He didn't look devastated.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Do you have links to the articles? I'm trying to read and gather up as much info as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Or thrill, Mr. Clean and Masns.

I don't buy him packing his bags during the fire. Who does that? We've had fire alarms go off here and we got the hell out pronto (false alarms). No, he had them packed before the fire, betcha. I saw a caption under his photo yesterday that said he was devastated. He didn't look devastated.
    True, he could just be a pyromaniac.

I saw this sign today carried by one of the residents - NO WATER CANNONS ? NO TRAMPOLINES ? NO HELICOPTERS ? makes you think .......

Tall building fires are a cluster hump from the get go. London's buildings are very close to each other. That, and the turbulent hot air rising up makes it hard for any chopper to get close. I don't know what condition water flow and pressure is like in that area, but that's a damned old city and they are constantly patching up their overworked water and sewage. It does sound a bit like the London FD was ill prepared for this scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by bustakita View Post
    Do you have links to the articles? I'm trying to read and gather up as much info as I can.
    Here is one, I'm finding it strange that a lot of unfavorable comments have been removed from some sites. You have to wonder why that is ! This is the one where his neighbor says his stuff was packed and in the hallway. I'm inclined to agree with cindyt, he did this prior to the fire. Which can only mean it was deliberate. The public, and some of the gang here are questioning it, why are the media afraid to ? http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/14/reside...bours-6709573/

Unless it's a cover up and he was hired by the building owner to start the fire so the building owner can collect the insurance on it, figure that it's going to cost more to do repairs and upgrade than it is to burn it down and collect the money and start over.

Who else thinks the number of reported dead and missing is inaccurate? Why are they trying to cover up all the facts???

More than one journalist has been spreading the urban legend that victims of a building fire can be literally cremated:

"Police fear the fire was so intense and devastating that some victims may never be identified."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ire-say-police

Similar claims were made after the Station Nightclub fire, but the claims were not true.

I don't know if they truly know how many people were living there at the time. For some cultures it's not unusual to have many generations of family living in a small place. From what it sounds like safety codes were not enforced all that well.

Too many things about this are not right

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40380584
    Last edited by bustakita; 06-23-2017 at 05:08 PM.

a refrigerator was the cause of the fire

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/grenfel...ause-1.4174576

Whatever one believes or will be learned about the cause of the fire or how many victims, the cladding DOES have a considerable bad history of flammability. Such material is mostly outlawed in the USA (at least beyond the first several floors) but loosening of regulations and cheap-skating on certain large projects in other countries who were customers of Arconic, (formerly Alcoa, which includes Reynolds) definitely played a role in the catastrophe.

http://2017/06/24/world/europe/grenf...pgtype=article
    Last edited by Linnie; 06-24-2017 at 10:42 AM.