Thread: Bobby Vee, 73

Bobby Vee, 73

https://www.yahoo.com/music/1960s-po...160934915.html

Used to fill in for Buddy Holly, apparently died of the dreaded Alzheimers.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

Still hear his hits on the radio. Rest in peace.

Oh wow. I haven't thought of him in years. My mom liked him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Oh wow. I haven't thought of him in years. My mom liked him.
    I think I got him. Mixed up with "Bobby Vinton" ....Is he even still alive?

Quote Originally Posted by hisandhearse View Post
    I think I got him. Mixed up with "Bobby Vinton" ....Is he even still alive?
    The "Polish Prince" as he used to be called is, at this writing, 81 and 1/2 years old and living in Florida with his wife of 54 years, per Wikipedia. He WAS performing in Branson annually for short engagements, but his official website doesn't mention anything since 2013.

Going back to Mr. Vee, check out this version of "The Night Has a Thousand Eyes" (and, it would appear, a thousand bikinis as well!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBxo8V6R0tc

That's a great video, I hadn't seen it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    The "Polish Prince" as he used to be called is, at this writing, 81 and 1/2 years old and living in Florida with his wife of 54 years, per Wikipedia. He WAS performing in Branson annually for short engagements, but his official website doesn't mention anything since 2013.

Going back to Mr. Vee, check out this version of "The Night Has a Thousand Eyes" (and, it would appear, a thousand bikinis as well!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBxo8V6R0tc
    I remember the video well (especially the bikini's). I also got him mixed up with Vinton. Sadly, there doesn't appear to be anything in Branson that is worthwhile these days...
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

That video is my favorite thing, I wanted to recreate it in my backyard for my birthday I loved it so much. I was even gonna try and convince Robby to perform it for me live lmao!! Bobby was actually a pioneer of music videos and they used to have these things that were basically jukeboxes that played videos and that what that video was made for.

I know I've posted this 9000 times but I'm friends with Robby Vee, (Veline) Bobby's son, in real life, and I feel so bad for him today. He just lost his mom a year or two ago, she'd had a lung transplant and I'm sure Bobby was heartbroken, they were married when they were like 20 or so. Robby was born when Bobby was 26 and he has two older brothers (and a younger sister). Robby and his sister Jenny were on the local news this morning and said they are considering a public memorial.

The thing I love about Bobby and Robby is that they both know how lucky they were with the whole Buddy Holly thing. Not saying Bobby isn't talented because he is amazing, but we all know how hard it is to get that big break, even if you are a great singer. Look at all the American Idol people... Robby is a huge fan of Buddy (and Bettie Page <grin>) and we have talked about the trip down to Iowa to the crash site, he says he stops by every time he's in the area. Bobby was very successful, he had lots of hit songs (even though people always think of Bobby Vinton lol) and Robby grew up in Bel Air. I'm not sure when they moved back to MN but Robby lives in the TC area and Bobby was living up near where he grew up, at least until his wife passed away.

I was really bummed to hear the news today.

And just think he was only 17 when he filled in for Buddy on that fateful day! (edit: apparently it was only 15 according to the article posted in the Buddy Holly thread).

He was living in St. Joseph, which is the town where Jacob Wetterling lived and was kidnapped in.
    Last edited by atomicbettie; 10-25-2016 at 08:19 PM.

I love the video of him on American Bandstand doing Run to Him from 1965, it's in this link. Everyone is always asking who the girl is who is sitting next to him in the comments on this video on YouTube. He seems so sweet. I also love Take Good Care of My Baby, but The Night Has a Thousand Eyes and Rubber Ball are my favorites. I remember going to a 50s themed restaurant for my 8th birthday (my choice) and playing that on the jukebox a few times. I've always kind of been the same person lol. My links are messing up so I'll have to post again with the local coverage where Robby and Jenny are on. See how handsome Robby is ?? And he's the nicest guy too.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bobby-vee-sixties-pop-idol-dead-at-73-w446448

Last edited by atomicbettie; 10-27-2016 at 03:01 AM.

Here's the local story (not the one my mom watched, another local channel reporting on it). I think a lot of people know Take Good Care of my Baby but don't realize it was him or how many hits he had, or that he helped Bob Dylan start his career.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/video/...gELSM.facebook
    Last edited by atomicbettie; 10-27-2016 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    Bobby was actually a pioneer of music videos and they used to have these things that were basically jukeboxes that played videos and that what that video was made for.
    Those videos were called Scopitones, and some of them are hilarious (the ones with Joi Lansing come to mind). Here's a link to a Scopitones archive - it's a great rabbit hole!

http://scopitonearchive.com/

VCNJ~
    Professional Thread-Killer

Quote Originally Posted by VeuveClicquotNJ View Post
    Those videos were called Scopitones, and some of them are hilarious (the ones with Joi Lansing come to mind). Here's a link to a Scopitones archive - it's a great rabbit hole!

http://scopitonearchive.com/

VCNJ~
    It might seem incongruous, but one of his biggest admirers was Bob Dylan.

Gosh I learn so much here, and the fact that Atomic Betty is friends with Robby is awesome! I never really "got" what was so special about Buddy Holly since he was before my time, but I suspect it was a new sound that hadn't been heard before. I had a co-worker say the same thing about the Beatles, and that's when I figured it out. I do think Bobby Vee's voice and songs are timeless, and it's amazing he performed as many years as he did.
    --William Shakespeare!

I always liked his music. It had a very special charm all it's own. I can only imagine how he must have felt being asked to take the place of Buddy right after the crash. He has always acknowledge how lucky he was to be there after that tragedy and started his career. Bobby sang many of Buddy's songs as a tribute. Sorry he's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiddledy Gumbo View Post
    It might seem incongruous, but one of his biggest admirers was Bob Dylan.
    I believe Bobby actually helped Bob get his start. I know when Bobby and Robby and family went to see Bob Dylan perform here in MN recently he did a special dedication to Bobby and pointed out he was in the audience and how special he was to him.

I won't post the picture here because it was private on FB but Rob posted a picture of his dad right at the end, and it was really sad. He had wasted away quite a bit, and looked nothing like the happy man he had even looked like in photos with the family just a couple of months ago. Rob posted a nice tribute saying something along the lines of "I was glad I got to know my dad as two people, the man who taught me everything I know, and the man who I got to got help guide and help when things became confusing and scary for him as his illness progressed". Rob (and I'm sure all the kids) adored his dad and you could tell he really looked up to him, both personally and professionally. I am sure Robby's daughters will miss him immensely, you could tell they adored him as well, the pictures of them together were so darling.