Thread: Allen Toussaint

Allen Toussaint

R.I.P. Allen Toussaint - Allen was totally one of the most underrated artists on the planet! Besides being an amazing singer/songwriter, he was a super nice guy who always took a minute or two to chat with his fans, me included.

Allen Toussaint, the legendary songwriter, producer, arranger and performer hailed by the Grammys, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and musicians and fans worldwide as one of the most influential figures in New Orleans music, died Monday while on tour in Europe, his family confirmed. He was 77.

Toussaint was on tour in Spain and died after performing Monday. Having performed frequently in his hometown over the past several weeks, Toussaint left last Thursday on a tour that was to include stops in Madrid, Belgium and London, according to his Facebook page.

Just last week, it was announced that Toussaint and longtime friend Paul Simon would perform at a Dec. 8 benefit for New Orleans Artists Against Hunger and Homelessness, a charity he helped create. Though always soft-spoken, humble and most often preferring to stay behind the scenes, the list of those who benefited from Toussaint's touch as a producer and arranger is staggering. It ranges from the 1950s to the present day: from Irma Thomas, Aaron Neville, Art Neville, Dr. John, the Meters, Paul McCartney, Joe Cocker and Glen Campbell to the late Ernie K-Doe, Chris Kenner, Lee Dorsey, Jessie Hill, Benny Spellman and Al Hirt, to name but a few. "His greatest contribution was in not allowing the city's old-school R&B traditions to die out but by keeping pace with developments in the rapidly evolving worlds of soul and funk. In addition, he brought the New Orleans sound to the national stage, and it remains a vital and ongoing part of our musical heritage to this day," proclaimed the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which inducted Toussaint as a member in 1998.

Many of Toussaint's songs became familiar not just for their original versions,s but by cover versions as well, including "Ruler of My Heart," "Working in the Coal Mine," "Ride Your Pony," "Fortune Teller," "Southern Nights," "Get Out of My Life, Woman," "Sneaking Sally Through the Alley" and "Mother-in-Law." The diverse list of artists who covered Toussaint songs, all the while holding him in high regard, runs the gamut from The Rolling Stones, The Who, Jerry Garcia, Robert Palmer and Warren Zevon to The Doors, Ringo Starr, The Pointer Sisters and Little Feat.

Touring and performing onstage himself was a relatively new facet of Toussaint's career, mostly a result of his newfound success after Hurricane Katrina, which devastated his New Orleans home and studio. His stepping into the spotlight represented a change for the music legend. "I prefer writing for artists than writing for myself. I get more inspiration from artists, from other people, than I do myself," he said in a 1998 WWL-TV interview with Hoda Kotb, the year he was honored by the Hall of Fame. But after relocating to New York following Katrina, while the piano genius collaborated with other musicians (notably Elvis Costello and Eric Clapton), he released CDs of his original work, performed a solo act frequently and even wrote a ballet. He was nominated for a Grammy award and in 2013, was honored with the National Medal of Arts, the highest honor given to an American artist. "After his hometown was battered by Katrina and Allen was forced to evacuate, he did something even more important for his city -- he went back," said President Obama at the award ceremony. "And since then, Allen has devoted his musical talent to lifting up and building up a city. And today, he's taking the stage all over the world, with all kinds of incredible talent, doing everything he can to revive the legendary soul of the Big Easy."

Incredible talent. RIP
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

Big time talent that was appreciated by so many of my favorites. The Band, Elvis Costello, Warren Zevon, Boz Scaggs.............

Quote Originally Posted by john*thomas View Post
    Big time talent that was appreciated by so many of my favorites. The Band, Elvis Costello, Warren Zevon, Boz Scaggs.............
    Now that brings back some memories......Thanks JT. The things I used to do while listening to his albums
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

Sad to hear that he is gone. What incredible talent! I have heard arrangements he did for Levon Helm and Hugh Laurie. Pure genius.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

He did the horns for "Life is a Carnival", one of my favorite songs by The Band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io9tYdvrFgk