Thread: 500-pound body causes fire at crematorium

500-pound body causes fire at crematorium

Fire investigators say a fire at a crematorium was likely caused by the cremation of a 500-pound body. The fire started when the furnace used to cremate the 500-pound body got too hot, Henrico, Virginia Fire spokesman Capt. Daniel Rosenbaum said.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/500...orium/29048832
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

Bidmor Guest
    Well at least the urn didn't need to be super-sized.

Sad that a persons family has to read this headline, even after death a person can't even have a bit of dignity.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    Was there a mentally handicapped kid named Arnie running around screaming... "momma!! momma sleep!!! momma sleep in fire!!! momma sleep in fire!!! OOOOOoaaaaYYyYYheah!!!!!!" whilst smacking his head repeatedly?

Dude that's nothing. I can't remember if it was King Henry the 8th(pretty sure it was henry the 8th) or Louis the 16th or another king... but one of their corpses was so bloated that it literally exploded during the funeral. The smell was so unbelievably rank people in attendance began throwing up and running for the doors. Of course the King was a dick so no sympathy for him. I feel bad for this guy though.

and that is another reason I am try to lose weight. I have asked questions about cremation on this forum and this post confirms my worst fears. I am nowhere near that big though.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

And the reason I am trying to lose as well, other than health reasons. I hate to think that one day I'm going to buy the farm and I'm really terrified of going before my Mom (I'm also terrified of going alone) I'd hate to cause such grief to my Mom by dying then causing a fire because I'm too big for them to fire up.

Oooh, a grease fire from the fat. How horrible.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Sad that a persons family has to read this headline, even after death a person can't even have a bit of dignity.
    Thank you! I thought the same thing! It's bad enough to lose a loved one without anything else happening to cause more pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    Thank you! I thought the same thing! It's bad enough to lose a loved one without anything else happening to cause more pain.
    The article reads exactly like another one I saw a few years ago, same 500 pounds and everything and I said the same thing. Regardless what happens during a cremation or burial it shouldn't be considered news. It should be like how it is between Doctors and Patients with Patient Doctor Confidentiality but in this case its your Undertaker and you.

Mammy Guest
    The article reads exactly like another one I saw a few years ago, same 500 pounds and everything and I said the same thing. Regardless what happens during a cremation or burial it shouldn't be considered news. It should be like how it is between Doctors and Patients with Patient Doctor Confidentiality but in this case its your Undertaker and you.
    I totally agree!

I will say this though the only report we should ever hear from a funeral home or cemetery is "The Dead have risen!!" and that should make nation wide news.

ozzysmom Guest
    wow, that's horrible His poor family

You know....I wish one of our death hags would chime in about this....is it possible that this grease fired was caused by an inadequate temperature or a build up of grease?......just spit balling here.
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

ozzysmom Guest
    I'd like to know that, as well. ????

Quote Originally Posted by Mcafgr View Post
    You know....I wish one of our death hags would chime in about this....is it possible that this grease fired was caused by an inadequate temperature or a build up of grease?......just spit balling here.
    We have a lot of experts on this. I have wondered about if they have to makes it hotter or just longer. Sounds like this dude flared up like throwing five pounds of bacon on a real hot grill. They may have to develop a cremator just for us hefty folks.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

If this was a fire that just required a little home fire-extinguisher action, then of course it would not be news. But since they had to call in the fire department, that DOES get attention, you know-- then, like it or not, it becomes news, front-page in the local paper, TV-news lead-in on the local TV stations, top-rated video if someone posts it on YouTube.

It's like that 500 lb. chap I posted about a couple of years ago, whose upstairs apartment had to be dismantled to get his body out, then it had to be dropped in a grave (in the biggest body bag ever) because they could find not find a casket that would fit (though IIRC, they DID get a crypt.)

At least, they did not release the name of the individual who was the inadvertent cause of the fire, though everyone in that town surely knew it.

Moral of the story is, I guess you have to knock yourself out to avoid weighing 500 pounds (I've seen a couple of departed who were a tight fit in their caskets and they were nowhere near 500.)

It's not nice or kind or respectful,, but neither is the world if they have to get you out of your house to go to a hospital or the morgue, and when it's finally time to dispose of your deceased person. And it WILL end up trending on the Internets.

And, P.S., it was Henry VIII of England whose carcass smithereened.
    Last edited by Linnie; 10-10-2014 at 11:15 PM.

weirdgurl Guest
    Given the fact that it is still considered "acceptable" to openly mock and disparage overweight/obese people, I would imagine that this man had his share of humiliations over the course of his life. It breaks my heart that even his death didn't end that.

Quote Originally Posted by weirdgurl View Post
    Given the fact that it is still considered "acceptable" to openly mock and disparage overweight/obese people, I would imagine that this man had his share of humiliations over the course of his life. It breaks my heart that even his death didn't end that.
    I think its terrible for his loved ones to be having to see the newspaper headline, not only the sadness over the loss but the fact that they are experiencing similar humiliation that he went through in his life.

I think there should be a media ban on all graveyards and funeral homes unless of course its something where the Undertaker has done wrong (stacking bodies), mass graves, selling bodies to medical science, etc.