Thread: Message from a stranger

Message from a stranger

Has anyone here ever been messaged by a stranger who apparently joined FaD just to write to you?

It's happened to me twice. Once by someone with intimate knowledge of the subject of this post, and then today, someone close to the victim I wrote about in this post.

In the first instance, the person volunteered to tell me details of the crime; I wouldn't call him/her combative, but you could tell it was a delicate, sensitive subject and the tone was definitely defensive. I wrote that they didn't need to give me any details - that it must have been a horrible time for everyone involved and that they deserved whatever remaining privacy they had. The person who wrote me originally was very kind his 2nd message to me and thanked me for my sensitivity. I responded back that given the nature of this group, we were all considerate and cited the example that although the present identity of Dr. Harold Perelson's daughter had pretty much been ascertained, no one would consider contacting her and grilling her about the details (I hope).

Today, the person thanked me for writing the entry as they felt it gave them closure; the victim had been a classmate and the details were sketchy to them in that pre-Internet era.

It made me feel good in a way - that something I had written had touched someone enough they reached out to me.

Have any of you experienced this?

VCNJ~
    Professional Thread-Killer

Not I.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Has never happened to me.
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

Hello Clarice.

"Do mind the pedestrian, Richard."
    - Hyacinth Bucket

The only one I've ever gotten was some gal spamming Buddha.
    Brandon Lee

A link to the newspaper proper is at the end of each article on the following blog

I'd be careful VCNJ, It could be a friendly reach out or maybe a little bit needy but if this person is connected somehow they may have seen you as a kindred spirit. Or they are about to go crazy on you. There's the rub. I have communicated a little bit with folks through DHF or spinoffs, but no, nobody has joined anything just to get to know me. I am not as nice a sumbitch as I come across on this forum.
    Last edited by cleanskull; 09-22-2014 at 06:04 PM.
    "What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" Pericles

That happens here on occasion.

If you get anything odd, feel free to forward it to the mods or Nick. And don't feel obligated to respond to the writer. We'll take care of it.

Life goes on.

Had a similar experience and it turned out really well for me. As many of you know, I'm somewhat obsessed with The Station Nightclub Fire in Rhode Island. A relative of a victim had read our forum, noticed my posts, and sought me out on FB. We are now FB "friends" and I'm delighted to know her.

Quote Originally Posted by maryd View Post
    Had a similar experience and it turned out really well for me. As many of you know, I'm somewhat obsessed with The Station Nightclub Fire in Rhode Island. A relative of a victim had read our forum, noticed my posts, and sought me out on FB. We are now FB "friends" and I'm delighted to know her.
    That's really cool! Apparently nothing in the thread was offensive or the person wouldn't have reached out to you.

It's happened to me twice. One was a very nice message from a person who was related to someone that was murdered and the subject of one of our threads. The second time was a person who registered here for the sole purpose of reaming my ass because she didn't like one of my posts and actually admitted that was why she registered. An awesome moderator took care of that problem very quickly.

[add strange reply here]

Life goes on.

Death Hags are generally nice people and I think we'd all be kind to a victims relatives if they contacted us.

^^true^^ Now when I see this thread title I think of a song title. Don't know if there is one, just sounds cool.
    "What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" Pericles

Of course we should be kind to victims' families, but you do have to exercise caution, and if you feel something isn't right, let a staff member know.
    Brandon Lee

A link to the newspaper proper is at the end of each article on the following blog

Quote Originally Posted by Hidium View Post
    Death Hags are generally nice people and I think we'd all be kind to a victims relatives if they contacted us.
    I think the reason she contacted me was because I was the one who started the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by VeuveClicquotNJ View Post
    Has anyone here ever been messaged by a stranger who apparently joined FaD just to write to you?
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by MiraculousMandarin View Post
    Hello Clarice.
    Yeah, watch out if they start mentioning Quid Pro Quo, that never ends well.
    Morgan

I didn't think of that... might just be a weirdo or a stalker pretending to have a relative who was murdered. People scare me.

I didn't think of that... might just be a weirdo or a stalker pretending to have a relative who was murdered.
    We get those as well on occasion. That's why it's best to ignore the messages entirely or forward them to us.

Life goes on.

No I haven't, but I'd definitely try to be polite to them.
    Huge fan of Vincent Price
    I'm a lady and I'm not on the market.

People have threatened to murder me on here (and wear my flesh). Does that count?

Did it scare you and did you respond?

Life goes on.

That just means you are loved, Serograth.

How's that, Hids?

Life goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    People have threatened to murder me on here (and wear my flesh). Does that count?
    SomeChick - When I get that threat, I just assume it is a sign of love.

SomeChick - When I get that threat, I just assume it is a sign of love.
    Well, it isn't love, but it is breaking the rules to send PMs like that.
    Brandon Lee

I thought Serograth meant someone he knew in FAD said they wanted to wear his skin, just being silly. I didn't realize that it was someone from outside who said it.

I thought Serograth meant someone he knew in FAD said they wanted to wear his skin, just being silly. I didn't realize that it was someone from outside who said it.
    He plainly said they threatened to murder him and wear his flesh.
    Brandon Lee

I hope you called the police. I am sorry, I didn't realize it was a serious threat. If my husband said that to me, I'd feel loved, didn't know they meant it.
    Last edited by Hidium; 10-04-2014 at 08:41 AM.

never had such issues.... call police asap.