Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcyclist David Holmes' last ride

Motorcyclist David Holmes' last ride

British motorcyclist David Holmes was speeding down a rural highway at 97 mph when he crashed into a negligently-driven Renault that turned left and blocked his right-of-way. The event was captured on his helmet camera, and the authorities have now released it for public consumption in on the grounds of promoting traffic safety.

There is no gore, but the doomed motorcyclist's last utterance is plainly audible in the last seconds of the video.

That is just awful. Not too fond of motorcycles. Hubby wants one so bad, but I talk him out of it. I showed him this video.

People seem to have a problem driving on 4 wheels nowadays. Scary riding around these people on two wheels and no frame!
    Last edited by Squishy; 09-05-2014 at 09:50 PM.

Amazing that his parents had the video released. Hopefully lives will be saved. Thanks for sharing.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    Idiot going 97mph. I'm just glad the moron didn't hurt anyone else. RIP dipstick.

ozzysmom Guest
    That was TOTALLY the motorcycle riders fault. He was hauling ass. Had he been driving at a proper speed, he'd be alive today.....

That's not how the law sees it. There were charges and a conviction.

Some further reading. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-agony.html

I can see why they charged the guy driving the car I reckon. But 97 in a 60 mph zone is pure stupidity and he has payed the price. On that note this accident may have happened even at 60 mph though.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxster View Post
    That's not how the law sees it. There were charges and a conviction.
    Yeah, the guy still pulled out in front of an oncoming vehicle. I am not an expert, but seems like that could have still caused an accident even if had been going slower.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

If he had been going slower they wouldn't have met at the intersection. If he was going slower the driver of the car might have seen him. If he was going 37!!MPH slower his injuries might not have been so extensive. At 97 on a small bike he was just a blur. I can see why the poor person in the car got the blame but it's bullshit. The poor guy got called a negligent driver when this dude was going 97 on a motorcycle!!! I'd file this one just like drunk driving. Everything in this incident is exactly the same only the motorcyclist had a few drinks. Then it would have legally been his fault because he shouldn't have been on the road. So going almost 40MPH over the speed limit should apply. If you're going that fast you shouldn't be on the road and any accident you're in is your fault.

I was surprised to see the car as damaged as it was. This could've been much worse. At least the dumbass was the only person killed. I like to drive fast too but not when it could hurt innocent people. I'm assuming the judge put partial blame on Mr. Holmes because he handed out a light sentence for the charge. All in all it's a great cautionary story though.

That was sad. Good grief he was was going fast and weaving in and out of traffic. It makes a huge and sad point.

Motorcycles are supposed to be fast, that is the thrill of them. Open air, speed, quick moves. I grew up around them and so far I have been lucky that none of of immediate family is drawn to them.

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    I can see why the poor person in the car got the blame but it's bullshit. The poor guy got called a negligent driver when this dude was going 97 on a motorcycle!!!
    Everyone had the right to an opinion, but it's the court that had access to both expert- and witness-testimony, including the other drivers who stated that they saw the motorcycle.

Indeed. Everyone is entitled to an opinion... and according to comments here and in that story yours is in the extreme minority. I've only seen one person kind of agree with you. But hey. Minority opinions are valid. The guy pleaded guilty. I would have been interested to see how a jury/judge would have found him after a full trial.

Everyone had the right to an opinion, but it's the court that had access to both expert- and witness-testimony, including the other drivers who stated that they saw the motorcycle.

Yes. 97mph was too fast, but it didn't make the bike invisible. Both parties can be partly to blame.

One thing I.am curious about, and maybe I missed it in the video, is where did the 97mph come from? Was that an estimate, or...?
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Both are at fault.

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by SheeBee View Post
    Motorcycles are supposed to be fast, that is the thrill of them. Open air, speed, quick moves.
    For me, it's the open air, and 65 mph is a nice, comfortable speed.
    Last edited by Maxster; 09-06-2014 at 12:48 PM.

weirdgurl Guest
    The retired nurse wants both motorcyclists and drivers to be more aware of each other on the roads, to stop more crashes like this taking place.
    She said that the driver...did not see the motorcyclist, but that Mr Holmes, who was driving nearly 40mph over the speed limit, also did not have time to take 'evasive action'.
    She said: 'I want to be involved in this campaign because I feel something positive can come out of his loss.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3CZ4TDGqJ
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Was he going too fast? Yes. Do people on bikes sometimes do very dangerous things because they can? Yes. Are motorists often unaware of the differences in braking time/reaction time in the two types of machines? Yes.
    I think the point of the mom releasing this video is that everyone who shares the road needs to be more aware.

The last word that he utters seconds before the impact - 'whoa' - can be heard on camera.
    MY last word would have been a bit more profane and not suitable for a PSA.

It is the speed that thrills, which is the speed that kills.

Ex motorbike rider here. Not a lot of sympathy.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

You had a sport bike, while I ride cruisers. Two completely different types of machines and riding styles.

I'm sorry that the end result was tragic, but he was driving way to fast and reckless..both are at fault to some degree. Look at the guys car after the fact. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-DAVID-HOLMES-ACCIDENT-large300.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	51439

Two major problems going on. At 97 MPH the motorcycle had little manueverability (sp?) to evade and the driver of the car quite possible thought he had time to go through the intersection not knowing this guy was traveling like a missile. I feel bad for the driver of the car regardless of whether he was charged.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulination View Post
    Two major problems going on. At 97 MPH the motorcycle had little manueverability (sp?) to evade and the driver of the car quite possible thought he had time to go through the intersection not knowing this guy was traveling like a missile. I feel bad for the driver of the car regardless of whether he was charged.
    Yeah I think that's exactly what happened. I bet that driver thought he had time and when you look at when he started the turn he would have had plenty of time if the cyclist wasn't riding like a maniac.

The Renault driver specifically stated that he had not seen the oncoming motorcycle. Other drivers interviewed said they had, which suggested this fellow had not been paying proper attention.

Police said the driver, who admitted not seeing Mr Holmes or the car travelling behind, was prosecuted in April.
    Full story on the BBC
    Last edited by Maxster; 09-06-2014 at 08:16 PM.

The Renault driver specifically stated that he had not seen the oncoming motorcycle. Other drivers interviewed said they had, which suggested this fellow had not been paying proper attention.

Full story on the BBC
    I understand but the fact he's going 97 mph means all bets are off. He may have looked up the street, not seen him and by the time he turned and the guy came into view it was too late. Plus what about background interference? A motorcycle traveling that fast could easily blend in and make it even more difficult to see less judge the distance. Much smaller and less obvious than a car.

I understand but the fact he's going 97 mph means all bets are off. He may have looked up the street, not seen him and by the time he turned and the guy came into view it was too late. Plus what about background interference? A motorcycle traveling that fast could easily blend in and make it even more difficult to see less judge the distance. Much smaller and less obvious than a car.
    Stop the presses and alert the media!!! We agree on something!!! lol

The Renault driver missed the car traveling behind the motorcycle, too. Evidently, he was not paying sufficient attention to the road.

Mammy Guest
    No matter who was at fault, I still feel bad for the loved ones of the deceased man. Yes, he was driving like a fool, but it isn't his family's fault and it's a shame a young person is dead. I don't like motorcycles and would be scared to get on one. My pharmacist (yes, he was only mine ) and his girlfriend died two weeks ago in a local motorcycle crash.

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    Stop the presses and alert the media!!! We agree on something!!! lol
    Yes, the End Times may be near.

Earlier today I saw a cat chasing a dog...
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Sorry to hear that Mammy, and I agree with you it's hardly his family's fault. I have never been on a motorcycle either, and when I'm driving on the highway and see them weaving in and out of traffic at a 140 degree tilt it freaks me out.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    Sorry to hear that Mammy, and I agree with you it's hardly his family's fault. I have never been on a motorcycle either, and when I'm driving on the highway and see them weaving in and out of traffic at a 140 degree tilt it freaks me out.
    Thanks, I've been pretty sad about him. The pharmacy I use is very tiny and hometown and I've been doing business with him for several years.

There are safe motorcycle drivers and ones who weave in and out of traffic and drive insanely fast. It's their business if they don't care anymore about their own safety than that, but I don't want to see them smeared for half a mile after they crash. It's ridiculous that it is a state law in Kentucky to wear seatbelts, but motorcycle riders aren't required to wear helmets and the majority of them don't. It makes no sense to me.

weirdgurl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    No matter who was at fault, I still feel bad for the loved ones of the deceased man. Yes, he was driving like a fool, but it isn't his family's fault and it's a shame a young person is dead. I don't like motorcycles and would be scared to get on one. My pharmacist (yes, he was only mine ) and his girlfriend died two weeks ago in a local motorcycle crash.
    I feel bad for everyone involved. The car driver, especially. No matter why the crash happened or who was at fault, this person will have to deal with the trauma of this accident for the rest of their life. I cannot imagine what that would be like (and hope I never find out).
    I think that it was very brave of Holmes' mother to put the video out there. The video shows exactly what his last ride was like start to finish. Speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, putting himself and others in danger. For her to make the video public, knowing that many would react by saying, 'he got what he deserved' took a lot of strength. I feel that she is willing to take that burden in hopes that it may save a life - biker or motorist.

There are pluses and minuses to living in a small town. Knowing most everybody can go either way. I'm sorry for your loss.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdgurl View Post
    I feel bad for everyone involved. The car driver, especially. No matter why the crash happened or who was at fault, this person will have to deal with the trauma of this accident for the rest of their life. I cannot imagine what that would be like (and hope I never find out).
    I think that it was very brave of Holmes' mother to put the video out there. The video shows exactly what his last ride was like start to finish. Speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, putting himself and others in danger. For her to make the video public, knowing that many would react by saying, 'he got what he deserved' took a lot of strength. I feel that she is willing to take that burden in hopes that it may save a life - biker or motorist.

There are pluses and minuses to living in a small town. Knowing most everybody can go either way. I'm sorry for your loss.
    That's true. It would be an awful feeling to be involved in an accident where another person died, even though it wasn't the car driver's fault.

Thanks, I live in a tiny little town and this man was well known. He had a brother who was also a pharmacist at the same pharmacy who was murdered in 2006. Their mother outlived both of her relatively young sons.

Wow, that's crazy ! In Canada, a driver and passenger are required to wear helmets, regardless of age. In fact, the helmets have to have certifications that are deemed acceptable according to the province. Which is a good thing, but you still wouldn't catch me on one.. riding a bicycle here in Toronto is dangerous enough !

Wow, that's crazy ! In Canada, a driver and passenger are required to wear helmets, regardless of age.
    How did we ever survive without the nanny state?

I'm with Max on the helmet thing. Well unless it's a minor. Should be a law saying all minors must wear a helmet because it's not their fault if they have irresponsible idiotic parents that won't make them wear a helmet. But hey if an adult is dumb enough to ride a motorcycle without a helmet let em. If they crack their skull in a wreck and die I figure it's just natural selection. One less dumb ass running around.

However there is one issue that supports a helmet law in my opinion... especially in Canada where taxpayers pay for healthcare. Why should taxpayer money go to fund an idiot that doesn't wear a helmet, wrecks, and cracks their skulls? I say you can ride with no helmet but if you do and crack your skull we just leave you at the side of the road until you die. I'm solutions oriented

Helmets really don't do much anyway. Coincidentally my nephew's best friend died Saturday in a motorcycle wreck. He was wearing a helmet and still suffered traumatic head injuries. My nephew was following behind him when it happened. Terrible situation but it's the risk you take on a motorcycle.

Honestly, when you are traveling nearly 40 MPH over the limit you are breaking the law.

What is scary is how quickly he was killed.

I hope some motorcyclists stop driving like fucking idiots after seeing this

Quote Originally Posted by shipmatekate View Post
    lol I love that. Sorry to hear that McMorbid. Hopefully it won't haunt your nephew forever.

I'm sure it'll stick with him for a while. He held him while he took his last breath. He's holding up for now but it'll sink in sometime. I experienced something similar as a teen and I still have random nightmares about it. But this is all off topic so I'll quit hijacking. Thanks for your words Stew.

Lol , Our government makes our decisions for us...like this one ! http://www.680news.com/2014/08/19/on...ithout-helmet/

Lol , Our government makes our decisions for us...like this one ! http://www.680news.com/2014/08/19/on...ithout-helmet/
    Well I guess we can always make helmets optional and then all the really stupid people would be sure to die

Mammy Guest
    Wow, that's crazy ! In Canada, a driver and passenger are required to wear helmets, regardless of age. In fact, the helmets have to have certifications that are deemed acceptable according to the province. Which is a good thing, but you still wouldn't catch me on one.. riding a bicycle here in Toronto is dangerous enough !
    Wearing a helmet was a state law here for many years. I'm not exactly sure when the law changed. You'd never catch me on a motorcycle either. It's nerve wracking enough to be in a car since the majority of people around here can't drive for shit.

That I don't get. Maybe it's an infringement on freedom of choice like so many things now days.

Mammy Guest
    That I don't get. Maybe it's an infringement on freedom of choice like so many things now days.
    I don't get it either. We are required by law to wear seat belts in vehicles, so there's no freedom of choice for that. I hate wearing a seat belt.

True, but I'm okay with a seat belt. Totally off subject, they should make it mandatory for teens, or older for that matter, to use condoms to prevent them from having "babies for cash" ! I hate to see children suffer, just because their parents had them to get an iPhone.

babyblujems Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    Wearing a helmet was a state law here for many years. I'm not exactly sure when the law changed. You'd never catch me on a motorcycle either. It's nerve wracking enough to be in a car since the majority of people around here can't drive for shit.
    Oh wonderful, I already didn't want to go to my brother-in-laws wedding in Louisville on the 20th. Maybe I can use this as the excuse to back out lol.
    On topic, I've ridden on motorcycles a lot and enjoy it, however, I am the first to point it out if I catch anyone driving like a maniac.

Quote Originally Posted by shipmatekate View Post
    Honestly, when you are traveling nearly 40 MPH over the limit you are breaking the law.

What is scary is how quickly he was killed.

making a turn without looking if the road is clear can be considered murder in this case too...

Besides, this was in Europe.. 97 MPH or 160 KPH is NOT considered extremely fast. We drive cars here that go fast and can still corner

Normally when i drive to work there is a section of highway with very little traffic and i usually reach 150-170 KPH there.. (where 130 KPH is allowed)
    Some compare Elvis to God.. I mean He is good, but He is no Elvis

CT doesn't require helmets either. One of the few states that don't. I never understood it. We have some of the toughest drunk driving laws in the country, but it's ok if you split your head like a melon on the highway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Quote Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
    That is just awful. Not too fond of motorcycles. Hubby wants one so bad, but I talk him out of it. I showed him this video.
    If he had difficulty resisting the temptation to drink, I suggest he stay away from them.

I think this is a case where both drivers were at fault, if you wanna do 94 on a public street you're an idiot and if you pull into an intersection without making sure it's clear you're an idiot. Unfortunately the person in the car has better protection and lives.