Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Mcafgr View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GorgFtCqPEs

This will rip your heart out...Robin and KoKo the gorilla....they laugh together
    jfc this made me cry.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Sad we can't get him past The Other Woman.
    What did I say man? It's fucking EVIL!!! The Other Woman is pure evil.

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PiggyTx View Post
    jfc this made me cry.
    Right? The thing I loved is that you can see the interaction nourished his soul. You can see it in his eyes.

Sad news, has Scott have a photo of his mail box yet?
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Please combine these two posts into one.

<iframe width="500" height="281" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GorgFtCqPEs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This will rip your heart out...Robin and KoKo the gorilla....they laugh together
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GorgFtCqPEs

Folks, it is against forum policy to make consecutive posts, unless they are hours apart. If you make a post at, say, 12:03pm, remember something to add soon after, click on Edit, then add that addiction comment, then click save. I don't want to be a mean witch, but I will enforce this and all rules with cards, if I must.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

The scholarship he endowed made it possible for Jessica Chastain to attend Julliard.

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/the-insi...125848498.html

"Through a scholarship, he made it possible for me to graduate college. His generous spirit will forever inspire me to support others as he supported me. He will forever be missed." In 2011, the "Zero Dark Thirty" star elaborated on the scholarship Williams funded in an interview with WENN: "It paid for my schooling, back and forth to go home for Christmas, books, everything," she said. "He actually made it possible for me to go to school there because my family were not incredibly wealthy and I was the first one to go to college."
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Thanks Madeline. That's a good story. Here's a link that talks about his charity work. http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/12/news...liams-charity/

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    Here is one of his quotes that is painful to read right now. "I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone." Bless his heart.
    That quote he made is so very true. I wonder if in his mind he felt that way through life even though he was loved by so many? Also I had no idea his addictions were so bad. Thank you for the memories Robin I will miss you!....RIP

I haven't posted much in the forums, just always reading everyone else's responses, but had to chime in. I adored Robin. This clip is one of my fav ones with him. It is hilarious. He did so much to support our troops and with USO.

http://youtu.be/QD9QAAEfQEA
    The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.

There are two dates in time they will carve on your stone, and everyone knows what they mean, but what's more important is the time that is known, in that little dash there in between.

Well, here's to hoping good can come from this. Today, I've seen more talk of depression and support of depression than I ever have. Maybe this unfortunate event is putting light to the situation and will be helpful for some people. I would think that if Robin knew of his passing, although unfortunate, helping people, that would have made him happy. I actually reached out to a psychologist today to get some help, something I've been avoiding for years. He inspired me to reach out. I've talked to some nice people today about this dark issue and exchanged friendly and comforting words. All of this wouldn't have come about if it weren't for him. It is terrible and I wish something else could have inspired this help and connection, but it's something good to grasp on to when his loss feels so unbearable. The kind and understanding words in this thread alone are a really nice thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Westboro is threatening to picket his funeral.

Why can't WBC become a real cult and pull a Jonestown on themselves?
    A fucking Men to the last part buddy.

Fuck Westboro. Those pieces of shit aren't even really Christian. They are a bunch of liars who make my religion out to be a joke. Screw them with a rusty anchor.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

Came across this video/commercial on a video game website I browse. As many of you might know Robin was a big fan of the Nintendo series The Legend of Zelda, and even named his daughter Zelda. This is an extended commercial for a LoZ game released a few years back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6oYMtqZk4Y

Seeing them both genuinely laugh and enjoy each other is so nice to see but also heartbreaking now.

More people in America die from suicides than die in automobile accidents. I learned that today. Pretty shocked about it too.

Quote Originally Posted by mustang93 View Post
    Came across this video/commercial on a video game website I browse. As many of you might know Robin was a big fan of the Nintendo series The Legend of Zelda, and even named his daughter Zelda. This is an extended commercial for a LoZ game released a few years back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6oYMtqZk4Y

Seeing them both genuinely laugh and enjoy each other is so nice to see but also heartbreaking now.
    Awww, thanks for sharing that! That's my favorite game - so cool to see them talking about it. He looked SO HAPPY. This is how he needs to be remembered.

Still feeling shocked by this and so very sad.

I just saw them replay the press conference on the news (I was asleep when it aired at 2PM and ABC didn't break into General Hospital which I DVR.) Even more sad now. *shakes head*

I was thinking last night about how horrific this whole Summer has been. Wars everywhere, plane crashes, and now a legend who was loved by so many dying in such a terrible way. 2014 has seriously sucked ass and I wish it would go away. Anyone feel the same?

I just turned on CNN and the first thing I heard out of Mr Blitzer's mouth "the gruesome details." Then he started talking about something else and I was like "Dammit!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Do mind the pedestrian, Richard."
    - Hyacinth Bucket

Foguka Guest
    It was hard yesterday. He was gone. But there was still a little glimmer of hope in that maybe he didn't die in such a violent way, maybe they got it wrong.
    I'm an Aussie, so the last time I was really saddened by a famous death was when Steve Irwin died, it was horrible and his poor children.
    But I am more heartbroken by this. And todays developments. He clearly had had enough. There isn't a way that they can tell his emotional state directly before hand, thank god. I'd hate to think if he was in a manic state or if he was cool, calm and collected because I'm already torn apart by how sad he must've been.
    I too am sick of reading 'selfish'.

I dropped my kids at school this morning and a dad was wearing a Mrs Doubtfire shirt. I followed him out of the school gates and every person who went past acknowledged him with this sad look as if it was hitting them again, you could childhoods flashing and people remembering the most awesome hot dog impression ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Emzy View Post
    Still feeling shocked by this and so very sad.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Fishhead View Post
    I just saw them replay the press conference on the news (I was asleep when it aired at 2PM and ABC didn't break into General Hospital which I DVR.) Even more sad now. *shakes head*

I was thinking last night about how horrific this whole Summer has been. Wars everywhere, plane crashes, and now a legend who was loved by so many dying in such a terrible way. 2014 has seriously sucked ass and I wish it would go away. Anyone feel the same?
    Yes

And for me personally it totally sucks
    Brother and dad both diagnosed with terminal cancer and I just was diagnosed with RA

Hearing we just lost Lauren Bacall too .. It's not 09 but it's getting there..

Bidmor Guest
    The impact of Williams' death strikes me a mix of the surprise of John Ritter with the industry stature of Johnny Carson.

But I have to agree with Williams' own line here from "World's Greatest Dad" regarding suicide:
    http://www.tmz.com/2014/08/12/robin-...ad/?adid=hero6

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Please combine these two posts into one.

Folks, it is against forum policy to make consecutive posts, unless they are hours apart. If you make a post at, say, 12:03pm, remember something to add soon after, click on Edit, then add that addiction comment, then click save. I don't want to be a mean witch, but I will enforce this and all rules with cards, if I must.
    Sorry. I haven't been around in awhile, I didn't know this was a rule. A lot of times, in a very busy thread, your posts don't come in as consecutive, someone else will post the same time you do.

And now I remember why I don't post around here anymore.
    Last edited by Jack'sGirl; 08-12-2014 at 04:33 PM.

I'm I the only one who wants to go throw an egg in the air right now and yell "Fly now, be free"

That's from Mork and Mindy if you didn't know. Mork's first time discovering earth eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post
    Hearing we just lost Lauren Bacall too .. It's not 09 but it's getting there..
    The Epoch Times press release via the Associated Press
    http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/8712...d-reports-say/

Still unconfirmed though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Do mind the pedestrian, Richard."
    - Hyacinth Bucket

Birthplace of the Rocky Horror Picture Show
    I'm I the only one who wants to go throw an egg in the air right now and yell "Fly now, be free"

That's from Mork and Mindy if you didn't know. Mork's first time discovering earth eggs.
    haha i did that yesterday outside, i always give a fresh egg in the grass to my chickens, and i just couldnt help myself but do it lol
    I love you and miss you dad, Antun Perdija 27-06-41 - 28-12-00
    RIP Daniel Colvin 5 June 1974 - 7 June 2011, Best Friend, lover, fiancee

RIP David Edgar, 2 Dec 1953 - 10 June 2011, Uncle
    RIP Agnes Steele Edgar, 17 May 1926 - 4 July 2011, Grandmother

YuukaK Guest
    I love the Academy tweet, it was short but sweet. "Genie, you're free."

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    Hell I and we all forgot one his best. Awakenings!!!
    I love that movie.

And wow. This is something I thought I'd never hear. I'm sorry that he was not able to find what he needed to be able to live with himself, but I hope that he is finally at peace.

YuukaK Guest
    So apparently he hung himself with a belt and there were superficial cuts on his wrists. Am I the only one reminded of David Carradine, you know minus the cuts?

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/n...icide-20140812

I feel sorry for, and fear for, Robin Williams's children. Over the years, they must have witnessed their father going in and out of depression and substance abuse, which may have hereditary components as well. Yet every time, he survived and went forward to new accomplishments and success, even after dry spells. Now, he has finished it forever.

If I was either of their mothers, I'd be worried sick for the rest of my life about their futures, though at this point, I don't recall reading a bad thing about any of them, not even the oldest, Zachary, who's 31 now. Long may that continue and that they can survive their grief and whatever undeserved guilt they may feel about not being able to help their Dad.

Suicide, per se, is not selfish in and of itself if there is such tremendous mental and / or physical pain, but Robin Williams was an intelligent, and it would seem, sensitive man, who must have thought--SOMETIME-- about the effects his decisions might have on his children. If there was an element of selfishness or inconsideration in his manner of life and death, that is the place where it must be admitted.

That much having been said, it seems this was inevitable. Even 4 years ago, in this interview, one can see that Robin Williams was often a sad, confused, and guilt-ridden man. This was also shortly after his heart surgery (which, it has been noted, can train-wreck even the most stable and optimistic personalities) and his back-and-forth with alcoholism.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2010...-alcohol-drugs

Still, why do I get the weird feeling that if Chris and Dana Reeves, and Jonathan Winters were still alive, he would not have done this (not NOW at any rate.) Mr. Winters, especially, would probably have understood Mr. Williams's situation, I imagine, without even being told, having had his own mental health issues.

It's a pity and a damn shame. I did not see all those movies, but liked his work in the ones I did. He STAYED with one, if you know what I mean (felt the same about Heath Ledger.) And I am amazed at the sad effect this is having on so many people.
    Last edited by Linnie; 08-12-2014 at 05:12 PM.

Comedian /actor Norm McDonald made several twitter posts in tribute of Robin. It was a sweet little story, and then the end was sad.

http://thedailybanter.com/2014/08/no...-williams-yet/

Arr Arr!

Quote Originally Posted by MiraculousMandarin View Post
    The Epoch Times press release via the Associated Press
    http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/8712...d-reports-say/

Still unconfirmed though.
    Sadly confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by YuukaK View Post
    So apparently he hung himself with a belt and there were superficial cuts on his wrists. Am I the only one reminded of David Carradine, you know minus the cuts?

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/n...icide-20140812
    Or like Michael Hutchence who died the same way.

Alexandra Guest
    Wow, just heard about this today.

He died on what would have been my grandfather's 101st birthday!

MissZoot Guest
    I'll admit Robin Williams wasn't my cup of tea, but I admired him for taking risks and for getting involved. What makes me so sad, though, is that here was a man with the money and the influence to have access to the very best resources available, and in the end he still couldn't overcome his demons. That doesn't give me a lot of hope for those of us with limited resources but plenty of demons of our own. I can't remember the last time I cried over a celebrity passing, but I cried a few times today, even if they were largely selfish tears.

RIP, sir-you helped a lot of people through their dark times, and I hope you're at peace now.

You guys should really check this out. This is a podcast where he talks about his addictions, his depression, his career, and even suicide. And in a way unlike you'd heard him speak of those things before. Just click on the link and then click on "Listen". http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episod...robin_williams

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    You guys should really check this out. This is a podcast where he talks about his addictions, his depression, his career, and even suicide. And in a way unlike you'd heard him speak of those things before. Just click on the link and then click on "Listen". http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episod...robin_williams
    Wow, great find Stewart!!

http://time.com/3104371/robin-willia...k-remembrance/

Lewis Black said this about their time together on a couple of USO tours:

"We’re going from place to place, he can’t give enough to them, and I’m trying to think, ‘Where can I take a nap?’ It was inspiring.

Wherever we’d land, until the point where we would leave, he’d be talking to them — and not just going off, but being straight with them. I adored him. If you look at the outpouring that’s gone on, that someone of his stature would come to see them was kind of amazing to them.

It’s proof again that the good die young, and pricks live forever. He’s gonna be missed. There’s a hole, and it’s gonna take a long time to be filled.”
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

I'll watch Bicentennial Man tonight, he gave such a touching performance in that. I know I'm going to cry.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post
    I have a friend who has been fighting brain cancer for several years now. He is being treated at The City of Hope here in Southern California, and while it is a workers' comp claim, a class action suit had to be filed by affected employees before the employer accepted responsibility. My friend was one of a handful of satellite truck technicians who got brain cancer due to the fact that their trucks were lacking the appropriate thickness of metal to shield them from microwave transmissions. While litigation was pending, however, my friend's health insurance had a $200 per visit deductible with his oncologist and his bill was over $15,000. He was struggling to pay it off when one day he went into the accounting department of The City of Hope to let them know that he would be late making his payments. The clerk looked up the balance and told my friend that he didn't owe anything. My friend was surprised and thought that perhaps the litigation had been resolved and his company had finally paid up. The clerk told him no, that his bill had been paid in full by Robin Williams, who had a secret, unpublicized "Patch Adams" foundation that he personally funded for cancer victims who had trouble paying their bills.

At the time I found this out (about a year ago), I thought it was such a sweet gesture. Now in light of his money problems, maybe his money didn't go all to substance abuse, rehab, and ex-wives.
    After rereading my post, it sounded considerably more harsh than I intended for it to. I knew he had been through a nasty, expensive divorce, but I shouldn't have made the comment. I am really heartbroken by his death and it bothers me a lot to think about the emotional turmoil he must have been going though right before he died. Thank you for sharing the story about your friend. Robin was obviously a caring and compassionate man and absolutely not selfish. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, it wasn't my intent.

That Podcast I posted seriously is the closest I've ever heard him just be himself. Not that I knew him personally but he's not in character and just talking normally. I think it's because Maron(the interviewer) came to Robin's house to do the podcast so Robin is in his element, relaxed, and not in character. If you listen the stuff he talks about suicide is pretty eerie. There's also some absolutely hilarious stories he tells.

Quote Originally Posted by icalledhisname View Post
    Well, here's to hoping good can come from this. Today, I've seen more talk of depression and support of depression than I ever have. Maybe this unfortunate event is putting light to the situation and will be helpful for some people. I would think that if Robin knew of his passing, although unfortunate, helping people, that would have made him happy. I actually reached out to a psychologist today to get some help, something I've been avoiding for years. He inspired me to reach out. I've talked to some nice people today about this dark issue and exchanged friendly and comforting words. All of this wouldn't have come about if it weren't for him. It is terrible and I wish something else could have inspired this help and connection, but it's something good to grasp on to when his loss feels so unbearable. The kind and understanding words in this thread alone are a really nice thing.
    This is very true and I'm so glad you got professional help in time and I do wish that Robin knew what his passing would mean to people; how much he would be missed.

I told my brother that if he was thinking of hurting himself that he needed to call me ASAP and if I couldn't help him, we'd find help for him and I knew where to go. Although he said that suicide was not an option, he was dead two weeks later on January 8, 2013. If he knew the ripple effect that it would have, how mom and dad hurt, seeing my dad crying grievously for the first time in my life, a lot of explaining to my little girl why she wouldn't have her favorite uncle around to play with AS she grew, so many other private issues which affect my family to this day.

Some reports say that he was too far gone when he entered rehab. I now believe that when a person gets to this point, there's nothing you can say to them to hold them back. This was not my brother's first real attempt. He told my dad to take him to a psych hospital but didn't say why. Dad took him there and the next thing dad sees is the ambulance from the nearby hospital pull up. When Tim walked in he confessed that he drank anti freeze. He told them in the nick of time. He was in ICU for two weeks due to severe kidney damage. He then went to a psych hospital after he got out. We pulled him back from the brink once, but not for a serious attempt the second time. If Tim knew how much he'd be missed.

I really don't want to make this about my family, but I wanted to give some insight from a family who has gone through more than we'd ever imagine in the past 18 months.

I'm glad this is being discussed in the open and I pray that if so many people like icalledhisname
    are encouraged to get help, so many people may get help they need without a second thought.

It's just so sad it took it the life of an all-time great comedian for people to start talking about the fact that depression is just not "feeling down" for a while. It's a potentially fatal condition if not treated in time.

I pray that his family will find some comfort and maybe some peace that his death may help so many.

I'm thinking of it like organ donation in a way. It takes the death of one person to save many people from so many from fatal illnesses. In this case is the ultimate outcome of depression. One person may die which is incredibly sad, but many people may start to live again.
    In Loving Memory of Timothy Houdek, October 22, 1969 - January 8, 2013

My awesome dad: Harry Houdek, September 8, 1933 - November 20, 2013

Words can't convey how much I miss you both. RIP with love.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviatrix View Post
    This is very true and I'm so glad you got professional help in time and I do wish that Robin knew what his passing would mean to people; how much he would be missed.

I told my brother that if he was thinking of hurting himself that he needed to call me ASAP and if I couldn't help him, we'd find help for him and I knew where to go. Although he said that suicide was not an option, he was dead two weeks later on January 8, 2013. If he knew the ripple effect that it would have, how mom and dad hurt, seeing my dad crying grievously for the first time in my life, a lot of explaining to my little girl why she wouldn't have her favorite uncle around to play with AS she grew, so many other private issues which affect my family to this day.

Some reports say that he was too far gone when he entered rehab. I now believe that when a person gets to this point, there's nothing you can say to them to hold them back. This was not my brother's first real attempt. He told my dad to take him to a psych hospital but didn't say why. Dad took him there and the next thing dad sees is the ambulance from the nearby hospital pull up. When Tim walked in he confessed that he drank anti freeze. He told them in the nick of time. He was in IF I for two weeks due to severe kidney damage. He then went to a psych hospital after he got out. We pulled him back from the brink once, but not for a serious attempt the second time. If Tim knew how much he'd be missed.

I really don't want to make this about my family, but I wanted to give some insight from a family who has gone through more than we'd ever imagine in the past 18 months.

I'm glad this is being discussed in the open and I pray that if so many people like icalledhisname
    are encouraged to get help, so many people may get help they need without a second thought.

It's just so sad it took it the life of an all-time great comedian for people to start talking about the fact that depression is just not "feeling down" for a while. It's a potentially fatal condition if not treated in time.

I pray that his family will find some comfort and maybe some peace that his death may help so many.

I'm thinking of it like organ donation in a way. It takes the death of one person to save many people from so many from fatal illnesses. In this case is the ultimate outcome of depression. One person may die which is incredibly sad, but many people may start to live again.
    Love this. I am sorry about your brother. No one should have to go through that, and no one should have to go through what he was battling in his mind. Great post!!
    Last edited by findadeathaddict; 08-12-2014 at 07:35 PM.

weirdgurl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzysmom View Post
    Now that Robin's death position has been revealed, I think that is one visual this Death Hag can do without. I can close my eyes and picture him, and it's breaking my heart to think of him that way.
    I have thought this frequently since I heard the details. It feels far too personal for me to know this and I would rather not have this picture in my head.

I know. Everytime I close my eyes today. Shit.

Watched the birdcage last night. Hilarious. RIP

When he says before one of Albert's shows in the club I think "If you don't finish making up, I'm going to kill myself"

Odd lol

I know. Everytime I close my eyes today. Shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdgurl View Post
    I have thought this frequently since I heard the details. It feels far too personal for me to know this and I would rather not have this picture in my head.
    I agree. Following all the updates about him today, I ran across a picture someone had snapped of him at an AA meeting, and it really pissed me off. They went to the trouble of fuzzing out everyone else's face, because of course that would be invading their privacy.

It's Alcoholics Anonymous for chrissakes, what kind of asshole thinks their constant need to document every second of their life trumps another human being's right to even the smallest bit of privacy, even if the person is famous?
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

48. 08-12-2014, 09:43 PM

Robin Williams at AA meeting.

The AA picture.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	robin-williams-aa-meeting-pp1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	51287  
    Last edited by Gladiolus; 08-12-2014 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by *sarah* View Post
    Comedian /actor Norm McDonald made several twitter posts in tribute of Robin. It was a sweet little story, and then the end was sad.

http://thedailybanter.com/2014/08/no...-williams-yet/
    Those tweets made me cry this morning!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity. ~Edvard Munch

Seagorath Guest
    Robin is still with us. His movies live on...his smiles live on...his spirit lives on.

He was too beautiful in this universe. He was a keeper.