Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Robin Williams

I was not a huge fan of his comedy, but he was great in "Dead Poets Society", one of my favorite movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    Here is one of his quotes that is painful to read right now. "I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone." Bless his heart.
    Amen

What a shock ! Such a talented man, prayers to his family and friends. Whatever demons he was fighting I hope he is at peace. This is so sad.

I'm just waiting for that sorry piece of shit from Supernatural has to tweet about this.

Shuzzbutt.

I just heard this........GEEZ!!!!!........Mr. Williams.....May you R.I.P.......And a Just Damn.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PurrPurr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    I was shocked to see this on Facebook a few seconds ago. I can't believe it!

RIP Robin

I can't say anything bad about someone committing suicide. I wouldn't call it selfish though. You aren't in your right mind, and you just want the pain to stop. It's no more selfish than taking an aspirin when you have a headache. It's a sickness. I hope his kids can realize this and not hold too much anger against him.
    As someone who battled major depressive disorder for years, I always consider depression a fatal disease unless properly treated. It can't be cured, only controlled with medication and therapy. This is an example of tragic consequences when one "falls off the wagon." It is indeed a very sad situation.

I am beyond devastated at this. I have been a Robin Williams fan since the Mork and Mindy days, loved his standup and many of his movies. Sure, there were a few stinkers in there, but there are not many who can go from zany, and sometimes completely insane comedy to dark and sometimes sadistic drama the way he could. A brilliant man, and a true legend. RIP.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    I had not heard this until I saw three threads. Shocked. I understood he had addiction problems and was broke and was forced to take on a sitcom role simply because he needed the money. Terribly sad. Such a brilliantly fast mind. Williams' idol, Jonathan Winters, had similar problems but overcame them to live to a ripe old age.

I hate to speak ill of the dead but suicide is such a selfish act. I think of Williams' children.
    Merged. Normally I would say to the dupe thread starters (which doesn't include Bid): do a search before starting a new thread, but, not this time. Why? Because all three threads were created at the exact same time. Wowser.
    Last edited by cindyt; 08-11-2014 at 05:12 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PurrPurr View Post
    As someone who battled major depressive disorder for years, I always consider depression a fatal disease unless properly treated. It can't be cured, only controlled with medication and therapy. This is an example of tragic consequences when one "falls off the wagon." It is indeed a very sad situation.
    It also doesn't help that he was in the public eye and had no privacy. Any issues with addiction problems, marital problems, financial problems, rehab, etc. that he was struggling with were out for the whole world to see and comment on. Just that fact would be depressing along with anything else he was dealing with.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    Oh Oh Oh!!! A great one!! The World According To Garp... Great Great film.

Bidmor Guest
    Robin on Letterman, 9/25/13...

This has really shaken me, particularly because I have been fighting my own inner demons lately. I hope his death makes people start talking about depression more openly..it doesn't have to be in vain. RIP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity. ~Edvard Munch

OMyStarz Guest
    RIP...very sad indeed.

I just watched "The Birdcage" the other day... I think that is such a cute movie.
    Last edited by OMyStarz; 08-11-2014 at 05:26 PM.

ozzysmom Guest
    I'm hoping his death will put depression more in the spotlight. This was not a selfish act, this was a desperate act of a very depressed person who wanted the pain to stop. Once we stop labeling the act of suicide as selfish, we are open to learn about it and try to understand and help those that suffer from it.

The World According to Garp is my favorite Robin Williams movie. Rest in peace, T.S. Garp #terriblysad

Whitdal Guest
    Wow...RIP Robin

ozzysmom Guest

I can't believe this. Just off the top of my head I can think of a dozen funny moments I've watched this man perform. He was joyful.

I'm heartbroken over this news. He's one of my favorite actors. He will be greatly missed.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

PurrPurr Guest
    Found on Facebook. Truer words couldn't be spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzysmom View Post
    I'm hoping his death will put depression more in the spotlight. This was not a selfish act, this was a desperate act of a very depressed person who wanted the pain to stop. Once we stop labeling the act of suicide as selfish, we are open to learn about it and try to understand and help those that suffer from it.

The World According to Garp is my favorite Robin Williams movie. Rest in peace, T.S. Garp #terriblysad

Ozzysmom and AtomicBettie - I agree with you 100%. To understand how much the pain is there, one needs to walk a mile in someone else's shoes. Maybe not even one mile. I wish that society could see mental illness as painful as physical illness.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

WTF?! I wasn't expecting this at all. OMG...I feel terrible for his family and friends. RIP Robin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mork-and-mindy.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	51253

Now...I'm going to watch What Dreams May Come and have a good cry. :'(
    [SIGPIC]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/Zoe_Zeppelin/Zepsig1.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Poo Bah MCGee Guest
    Drugs, depression, anxiety, it all goes together. Hell of a way to live, particularly when you are an entertainment icon. Broke? How could that be?
    Asphyxia could mean a lot of things, but most likely hanging.

Absolutely, I agree. If I felt depressed or overwhelmed by anxiety I would keep it to myself and put on a front. Today if someone asks me if I'm okay I don't hide behind it. I talk about what is troubling me. Isolating yourself from loved ones or people who can help you is a lonely place.

Odd Socks Guest
    Really sad news

I was just talking with my son about how so many comedians seem to struggle with depression. It's horrible to think that while they live to make others laugh, they are so sad inside. I know he had problems but I really didn't expect him to go this way.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Poo Bah MCGee View Post
    Drugs, depression, anxiety, it all goes together. Hell of a way to live, particularly when you are an entertainment icon. Broke? How could that be?
    Substance abuse, rehab, and ex-wives are expensive.

I agree that mental illness is as debilitating as a physical illness. After struggling for a long time, a person finally gets to the point that they are tired of fighting the depression and don't have the strength to keep fighting.

Purr Purr - your facebook photograph was great. I hope that you don't mind that I used it. It says it all.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

First time I've been wrecked by a actor/comedian's death since 9/11/03. Now both of my big screen heroes are gone.

Robin was the greatest. Literally, the greatest comedian IMO. Other than John Ritter who is also gone. And, Harry Anderson who never made it to the big screen but is luckily still with us. (The day he dies will be the day I probably go apeshit since Robin and John are gone now)

Those were the 3 comedy heroes to me since I was a wee little lass about the age of 4.

Robin had it all when it came to comedy and personality. You could just tell he naturally had something. And, he made me laugh my ass off for a good 22 years. What a guy.

I feel so sorry for his family. To think he touched people who didn't even know him. It just makes you realize how hard it must be for the ones he did know. I especially feel terrible for his children.

That's really all I have to say.
    Last edited by Dr. Fishhead; 08-11-2014 at 06:07 PM.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

trojanbeauty Guest
    I am beyond devastated. Thank you for the laughs Robin, you will be missed. RIP

This just breaks my heart. I hate to think of him being that sad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The joke is on us this time isn't it ya bastard?!

Foguka Guest
    This is a hard one, what a shock. I was hoping it was a hoax on fb, you'd click the link and it would be those stupid sites your friends use to trick you but no. Depression is a horrible disease. It can just be there, you know it's there but it's okay and then it can just overcome you. There's just not enough notice, not enough social acceptance. Every day I have clients coming in and their first words are "I was afraid to tell anyone". By god tell people you're sad so they can help you, so they can support you when you feel you are glued to the floor.
    RIP Robin, you were my childhood in a nutshell. You were amazing, you entertained us all and I'm sorry you couldn't beat your demons.

Na nu na nu Robin.

I just watched "The Birdcage" a few days ago and laughed myself silly. This is terrible news.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

Genie.. You are free.. (Twitter PZfeed) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BuzKgOoIcAAHYNa.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	51254

Pryncis Guest
    I haven't been on here in a while, but when I heard the news I had to come back. I have cried myself psychically sick over this. I feel numb and want to be angry at him but I can't because I'm just to sad to know he's gone. I've lit a candle for him and pray he's found peace. I pray for peace and comfort for his loved ones. I just can't imagine...

This one isn't interesting. It is gutwrenching. I hate it. Hate it.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    This just breaks my heart. I hate to think of him being that sad.
    It does hurt to think about what was going through his mind before he took his own life. From the outside looking in, he seemed like a happy person who was a comic genius and a wonderful actor. Depression affects famous people with social status the same as it does an average person who nobody has ever heard of. Money can't buy your happiness nor can popularity, talent, adoring fans, a loving spouse, children, or a nearly lifetime career of making people laugh. You never know what pain could be hiding behind a person's bright smile.

Kiersten Guest
    Normally, I just lurk around here. But, his death has impacted me too much to just lurk his thread.

I was born in '91, and I grew up with his movies. Jumanji, Aladdin, Flubber, etc. were all staples in my household. I have known he had substance abuse problems and has battled depression, but I've always thought he'd be one of the few to conquer his demons. It breaks my heart that he didn't.

RIP. Hope you found the peace you were needing and looking for.

Stand up comedians are almost always disturbed people. Humor is a way to deflect showing people you're truer inner self. I'm not going to sit here and say all stand up comics have issues but if you look at the track record most are very sad people. Suicide, addiction, depression, among other issues are quite common with stand up comics.

Just in total shock. I can't believe it. He has been a favorite since the first few minutes of his first appearance on Happy Days as Mork. I saw him perform live in the 80's. He had John Sebastian open for him. Then Robin hit the stage at a dead run and didn't stop for 45 minutes. At the end John Sebastian returned to the stage with his guitar and and a piano player. Robin produced a harmonica and the did a half hour of blues. It was amazing.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	51255Click image for larger version. 

Views:	55 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	51256Name:  image.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  15.9 KBClick image for larger version. 

Views:	33 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	51258

Just so sad. Loved this man and all the amazing characters he created! RIP Robin!
    Hurry back...hurry back...don't forget to bring your....death certificate!! [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Moscow on the Hudson, The World According to Garp and The Fisher King - all my favorite movies of his.

It does hurt to think about what was going through his mind before he took his own life. From the outside looking in, he seemed like a happy person who was a comic genius and a wonderful actor. Depression affects famous people with social status the same as it does an average person who nobody has ever heard of. Money can't buy your happiness nor can popularity, talent, adoring fans, a loving spouse, children, or a nearly lifetime career of making people laugh. You never know what pain could be hiding behind a person's bright smile.
    It brings up a pain from deep inside me. I've been there. I've been to that place and it's the most horrible pain imaginable. It hurts me deep to think of him being in that kind of pain. I hope he's at peace now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by John Trim View Post
    I saw him perform live in the 80's.
    So jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Poo Bah MCGee View Post
    Substance abuse, rehab, and ex-wives are expensive.

I agree that mental illness is as debilitating as a physical illness. After struggling for a long time, a person finally gets to the point that they are tired of fighting the depression and don't have the strength to keep fighting.
    I have a friend who has been fighting brain cancer for several years now. He is being treated at The City of Hope here in Southern California, and while it is a workers' comp claim, a class action suit had to be filed by affected employees before the employer accepted responsibility. My friend was one of a handful of satellite truck technicians who got brain cancer due to the fact that their trucks were lacking the appropriate thickness of metal to shield them from microwave transmissions. While litigation was pending, however, my friend's health insurance had a $200 per visit deductible with his oncologist and his bill was over $15,000. He was struggling to pay it off when one day he went into the accounting department of The City of Hope to let them know that he would be late making his payments. The clerk looked up the balance and told my friend that he didn't owe anything. My friend was surprised and thought that perhaps the litigation had been resolved and his company had finally paid up. The clerk told him no, that his bill had been paid in full by Robin Williams, who had a secret, unpublicized "Patch Adams" foundation that he personally funded for cancer victims who had trouble paying their bills.

At the time I found this out (about a year ago), I thought it was such a sweet gesture. Now in light of his money problems, maybe his money didn't go all to substance abuse, rehab, and ex-wives.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

Hmm. Question just occurred to me. They said in the press release that Robin had been severely depressed lately. He also just had a stint in rehab. He was last seen last night at around 10PM. Was found today at Noon. The question is, Why wasn't someone watching him? Checking on him?

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Geekygirl, thanks for posting that. Wow. Amazing story.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    It brings up a pain from deep inside me. I've been there. I've been to that place and it's the most horrible pain imaginable. It hurts me deep to think of him being in that kind of pain. I hope he's at peace now.
    OMG I am so devastated right now. My oldest daughter (knowing I'm a death hag) woke me up to tell me. I thought I was going to collapse. I was saying NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Domino - I think that is why it hit me so hard. I have MDD and I've been there. I'm lucky to be here. I'm glad I had the foresight to get help. It's a battle I fight everyday.

And in regards to the comments about depression needing to be talked about I totally agree - I hope his death is a catalyst for that. I'm sick of people looking at depression as a choice and not a disease.

RIP Robin - one of the greatest.

Seagorath Guest
    This is just so hard to take in. Phil Hartman and John Ritter were bad...but Robin...it's like losing Murray or Steve Martin. A true ICON...perhaps the greatest and most complete actor/comedian of his generation. He made us laugh with Mork, his outlandish standup and many years of fantastic films. He sacrificed a lot of himself for his fans...and his family. There just comes a day when the jokes stop flowing. Life can be a bummer. Hopefully he found light and peace. I believe he did.