Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891017 ... LastLast

Thread: Robin Williams

I've heard folks who have had heart attacks/problems tend to get depressed. With Robin, it seemed to elevate it all more. He even said in an interview how his heart attack made him feel "mortal" and how he didn't like that.

Here are a couple interesting links and my favorite RW commercial

World of Warcraft to immortalize Robin Williams as in-game character

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story...game-character

https://twitter.com/Warcraft/status/499373912291938307

[SIGPIC]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/Zoe_Zeppelin/Zepsig1.jpg[/SIGPIC]

A celebrity death has never hit me so hard. I thought Michael Jackson was bad but after he died I listened to a lot of his music and I just can not bring myself to watch any of Robin's movies.

Fuck, this one really really HURTS!!!

RIP forever Mr. Williams...loved Hook, Aladdin, Mrs. Doubtfire, and a whole slew of others, you will be missed always.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here one day, Gone one night, Gone too soon...
    Missing you forever...

Thanks for posting this interview: http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episod...robin_williams

Im reposting it because some people are talking about his parents and he does talk about them in this interview and with very good things to say about them. Who knows? Maybe he is just being kind but I agree with the person who said in an earlier post that he seems very level and relaxed yet very open about his life....including suicide thoughts. Its worth a listen. I also am not sure anyone who is worth $30-130 million actually has "money problems" even if they do have to sell a second or third house but hey...its all ones perspective, right? He was a workaholic and an A lister so I imagine he was okay financially but I have no way of knowing, of course.

His death has me upset for many reasons. I admired his talent a great deal. And, I agree with everyone here that has said perhaps the good to come from this sadness is the conversations and awareness regarding depression and mental illness. I think everyone on her is being compassionate about it right now which is a sign of intelligence and civility.

Some of you may remember when I sucumbed to depression and anxiety a few years ago. I wrote about it here and there were at least three very "popular" FAD posters who were extremely cruel to me. One of the moderators told me about what they said later as I was in the hospital and could not check the forum for awhile. I am glad I couldnt read their viciousness toward me when I was at my lowest point because I probably would have tried to kill myself again. Its amazing to me such cold hearted sadistic bullys can be so popular but attention whores usually are. I will never forget how they treated me but I also will never forget those kind members here who reached out to me to see if I was okay and to offer support. They are the real quality humans that have my respect.

Sorry to make this about me but this tragedy has brought all those memories up again and I wanted to share my experience and just say how proud I am of everyone who has posted such insightful and dignified things here. Just a reminder of how kindness can lift someone up and being cruel can destroy someone. You never know the battles someone faces and kindness cost us nothing but cruelty can cost someone their life
    I told my lawyer he's better step it up or we would both end up on an episode of "SNAPPED"

I was talking to my mother this evening and she said did he not hold a door open for you once? I had completely forgotten it ! It was probably the late '90's and I was about to enter The Manulife Centre here On Bloor St. He was coming out, and as I approached he held the door, I was looking at him knowing full well who he was, but a little stunned, all I did was smile and say thank you and he said your very welcome and off he went. I remember thinking then as I am now, what a simple kind gesture,especially in a city that moves faster then light and half the time no one looks at you. Thank You Mr. Williams,this time I won't forget.

ozzysmom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I've heard folks who have had heart attacks/problems tend to get depressed. With Robin, it seemed to elevate it all more. He even said in an interview how his heart attack made him feel "mortal" and how he didn't like that.

I've heard that too. Once you go thru a serious health event and survive, you almost feel worse because of the depression. It gets worse, you think, why didn't this just take me? Why do I have to keep suffering. Depression is a VERY hard thing to explain to someone who has never lived it. I will always just think of him and smile...like I always have <3

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by baroque1 View Post
    Thanks for posting this interview: http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episod...robin_williams

Im reposting it because some people are talking about his parents and he does talk about them in this interview and with very good things to say about them. Who knows? Maybe he is just being kind but I agree with the person who said in an earlier post that he seems very level and relaxed yet very open about his life....including suicide thoughts. Its worth a listen. I also am not sure anyone who is worth $30-130 million actually has "money problems" even if they do have to sell a second or third house but hey...its all ones perspective, right? He was a workaholic and an A lister so I imagine he was okay financially but I have no way of knowing, of course.

His death has me upset for many reasons. I admired his talent a great deal. And, I agree with everyone here that has said perhaps the good to come from this sadness is the conversations and awareness regarding depression and mental illness. I think everyone on her is being compassionate about it right now which is a sign of intelligence and civility.

Some of you may remember when I sucumbed to depression and anxiety a few years ago. I wrote about it here and there were at least three very "popular" FAD posters who were extremely cruel to me. One of the moderators told me about what they said later as I was in the hospital and could not check the forum for awhile. I am glad I couldnt read their viciousness toward me when I was at my lowest point because I probably would have tried to kill myself again. Its amazing to me such cold hearted sadistic bullys can be so popular but attention whores usually are. I will never forget how they treated me but I also will never forget those kind members here who reached out to me to see if I was okay and to offer support. They are the real quality humans that have my respect.

Sorry to make this about me but this tragedy has brought all those memories up again and I wanted to share my experience and just say how proud I am of everyone who has posted such insightful and dignified things here. Just a reminder of how kindness can lift someone up and being cruel can destroy someone. You never know the battles someone faces and kindness cost us nothing but cruelty can cost someone their life
    Thanks for reposting the podcast. If I could I'd go to each members home and make them listen to it lol Sorry to hear people picked on you for your problems. Best thing to remember is that these are just words on a screen. Take the good stuff and ignore the bad. They only hurt if you allow it. I've had depression and anxiety since I was a teen. I self medicated for years and years. I quit doing drugs like 10 years ago and alcohol like 6 years ago. I don't go anymore but I've been to many many AA meetings and did rehab twice. That's why that AA pic really pissed me off. Those meetings are like a sanctuary. Anywho without the substances and alcohol the depression and anxiety got worse and worse. I finally went to a doctor about it and they're trying to find something to help. And this is just in the last 6 months. I'm on 200mg of Zoloft a day but it's not doing much. I go back to the doc next month. I guess next stop is a Shrink. Oh joy. The only people that know this are my immediate family and you. Just mentioning that like many others here to show these feelings are pretty common.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	butterfly1.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	51269

Great find, Jack'sGirl!

"Rest in peace, Robin. You've given us a chance to talk about this, and to prove that this has nothing to do with life circumstances -- you were rich and accomplished and respected and beloved by friends and family, and in the end it meant jack fucking shit."

Rewatched The Fisher King this morning, he was so great in that movie.
    That Cracked article was a really great read. I can totally relate to it. It makes so much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Westboro is threatening to picket his funeral.

Why can't WBC become a real cult and pull a Jonestown on themselves?
    Ugh these bastards. No kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebula View Post
    I've also suffered from severe depression for years. At my worst, I prayed for death but couldn't do it myself. Thank God for antidepressants.

With the news of how he killed himself, I'm reminded of something Kathy Griffin said in her book. She was talking about how David Strickland hanged himself, and what really hit her was how hanging is the most tragic way to commit suicide because it's the form that takes the most thought and preparation. When someone hangs themselves, they really, really want to die.
    I agree. I did a research paper in 10th grade about suicide and I learned that more women attempt than men but more men succeed because men try more violent means. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by elnoradawn View Post
    Those tweets made me cry this morning!
    Ugh yes, got me started crying all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzysmom View Post
    The type of depression that I have comes and goes. Or should I say, it's good for awhile then the darkness creeps in again. Like a wave of grief. I've learned to notice the signs of it setting in, it doesn't keep it from setting in, but knowing it's coming helps me prepare for it. Not all depression is the same. Some live with it every single day of their lives, some it comes and goes like mine. Either way....darkness is darkness and it's a shitty place to be. I know I'm not the only one who feels that if I could have helped Robin with my love and support, he'd still be here today.

I feel so bad for his wife. People who suffer from depression are VERY good at hiding it and pretending everything is alright. I suspect this is what Robin did. Just look at his body of work, he was very good at hiding it....
    This is so true. I've battled my own depression for years and attempted suicide back in 2001. It still took me until about 6 years ago to see a light at the end of the tunnel. Once I actually got out of the deep, dark, pit I've learned to keep myself from sliding back in. I still go through bouts of being down but so far I've managed to keep myself from sliding back all the way in. I hope I can keep doing it because I don't want to be miserable. I want to be happy. I hate it when people think it's a choice. "You just need to choose to be happy." Well doesn't everybody? I mean really. Who WANTS to live life miserable. I just have to take things a day at a time. It takes work to not think of myself as a complete loser. I totally understand what was going through his head the hours leading up to his death. Been there. Done that. That's why it hurts me so much and why I haven't been able to stop crying. I know that pain and it hurts like hell to think that one of the funniest people on earth that made so many smile and laugh was going to through that kind of pain.

ETA: I downloaded that podcast and I want to listen to it but I think it's going to be a while before I can do that.
    Last edited by Domino; 08-13-2014 at 06:22 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You'll like it Domino. It's seriously amazing. Also if I hadn't said so already.... MST3000 RULES!!!! That show was one of the few that made me laugh so hard tears roll. Even by myself it makes me laugh that hard.

Mammy Guest

It makes me sad to know you were treated like that during one of the lowest points in your life. I'll never understand people who are deliberately cruel to other people and take pleasure in kicking them when they are down.

Ozzysmom, there is really no way to accurately describe depression to someone who has never dealt with it. It's like trying to teach colors to a person who was born blind. Nobody has ever been cured of depression by "pulling up their boot straps" and "thinking happy thoughts." Nobody would even suggest such things to someone who had a heart attack or cancer, but they think a person suffering from depression should be able to just "snap out of it" at will.

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    Thanks for reposting the podcast. If I could I'd go to each members home and make them listen to it lol Sorry to hear people picked on you for your problems. Best thing to remember is that these are just words on a screen. Take the good stuff and ignore the bad. They only hurt if you allow it. I've had depression and anxiety since I was a teen. I self medicated for years and years. I quit doing drugs like 10 years ago and alcohol like 6 years ago. I don't go anymore but I've been to many many AA meetings and did rehab twice. That's why that AA pic really pissed me off. Those meetings are like a sanctuary. Anywho without the substances and alcohol the depression and anxiety got worse and worse. I finally went to a doctor about it and they're trying to find something to help. And this is just in the last 6 months. I'm on 200mg of Zoloft a day but it's not doing much. I go back to the doc next month. I guess next stop is a Shrink. Oh joy. The only people that know this are my immediate family and you. Just mentioning that like many others here to show these feelings are pretty common.
    "Just words on a screen" yes and no. This is a community here and yes, mostly made up of people who we may never meet in person (although I have met some hags) And, yes, "sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me" or whatever that saying is has some merit, I suppose however the truth is words do hurt and sometimes more than physical pain and especially when someone is already feeling low...which is what this entire thread is about: depression and suicide of a very successful adult man. When someone is that sick and weak...yes, cruel words do matter. Being in a depressed state of mind does not lend itself to rational and strong thoughts of good self esteem. Mental abuse is very real. However I have no idea if cruel words pushed Robin Williams over the edge or not...a spouse sleeping in another room and going shopping the next day without checking on the other does not always mean there was a huge fight the night of the suicide but it wouldnt surprise me either. It also wont surprise me if alcohol is found in his toxicology results(that shit will make you sad and hopeless) .

And the bullies that were cruel to me here on FAD are mostly gone and rarely post except the one who is well known for his own active addiction problems (mental too) so I do, as always, consider the source. He gets away with terrible behavior because certain people here think he is so funny and cute but I would not trade places with him in real life. He has serious issues that he will have to deal with one day whenever he is forced to face them instead of using his energy to belittle others. I do hope he survives them and finds more support and kindness than he has given others. I truly do. But I do know people do commit suicide because they have been cyberbullied and that is the truth.

Nevertheless, Stewart, thank you for sharing the podcast and your personal struggles. Yes, keep seeking help and things will get better. We are here for you. I always enjoy your posts. And, yes, the AA photo is a violation
    I told my lawyer he's better step it up or we would both end up on an episode of "SNAPPED"

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    It makes me sad to know you were treated like that during one of the lowest points in your life. I'll never understand people who are deliberately cruel to other people and take pleasure in kicking them when they are down.

Ozzysmom, there is really no way to accurately describe depression to someone who has never dealt with it. It's like trying to teach colors to a person who was born blind. Nobody has ever been cured of depression by "pulling up their boot straps" and "thinking happy thoughts." Nobody would even suggest such things to someone who had a heart attack or cancer, but they think a person suffering from depression should be able to just "snap out of it" at will.
    Thanks Mammy!! I adore you! And I dont understand people who kick someone while they are down either. I never did anything to them or warrant that behavior in any way. It was quite a shock . They reminded me of the "cool" kids that hurt people on purpose to exert their power: Bullies. Classic narcissists with under developed brains and twisted souls. And the people that watch and let them get away with it and even cheer them on are just as bad IMO

I love your explanation of depression and how people who do not suffer from it view it! Spot on. You have a great way with words.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post

There's a play that does a very very good job at explaining it. Obviously not the same as actually living with it. HBO made a movie about it. Tommy Lee Jones directed and starred in it opposite Samuel L Jackson. The entire thing is set in one room. Sam Jackson's character catches Jones' character trying to commit suicide in the subway or something. The entire thing is about Sam trying to talk Tommy out of it and Tommy trying to explain depression and being suicidal. It's called Sunset Limited. Here's the trailer. If you're interested the entire movie is on youtube.

Mammy Guest
    Thanks Mammy!! I adore you! And I dont understand people who kick someone while they are down either. I never did anything to them or warrant that behavior in any way. It was quite a shock . They reminded me of the "cool" kids that hurt people on purpose to exert their power: Bullies. Classic narcissists with under developed brains and twisted souls. And the people that watch and let them get away with it and even cheer them on are just as bad IMO

I love your explanation of depression and how people who do not suffer from it view it! Spot on. You have a great way with words.
    Thank you, you know I think the world of you, too! I hated school and couldn't wait until I was old enough to graduate and leave the childish nonsense behind. What a shock to see that the same behavior goes on in various forms for the rest of your life. The only difference is that the bullies are older instead of being teenagers. It's really sad.

Thank you, Stewart, you always provide good links to learn more about any subject. I'm glad that you are getting help for your depression and I hope there is a treatment that gives you a happier and more peaceful life. Sometimes it takes a while to find just what works for you so hang in there!

Thanks Mammy. No worries. I'm not suicidal. It's literally the only sign of depression I don't have.

Aries, you are right on. No, none of us are perfect; we all can certainly have bad days. And, it is true, people who have had heart attacks do go through a rough time afterward. I did. I felt survivor's guilt because my grandfather, my daddy, and my aunt dropped dead from a heart attack, but I didn't. It's nuts, but there it is. I was also mean; I tried to behave on here until I was my lesser mean self (((((grin)000 again, but offline I was a real piece of work. I hurt people's feelings and became estranged from my dear nieces, I ruined a friendship that can never be restored--I had reason to be angry with her, but chewing her a new one was not worth our friendship.

I don't doubt your sister-in-law's experience with Robin Williams, but, too, when somebody is acting out, there may be a reason other than them being a snotbutt.
    Last edited by cindyt; 08-13-2014 at 07:14 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Frances Bean Cobain sends sweet message to Zelda Williams

http://entertainthis.usatoday.com/20...elda-williams/
    [SIGPIC]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/Zoe_Zeppelin/Zepsig1.jpg[/SIGPIC]

I don't how I forgot about this, but I just remember it after being on another board and seeing a comment made about how Robin Williams was such a sweet and caring guy and how there weren't any reports of him being an a-hole to anyone. But he did!

My Sister-in-law once worked as a receptionist for an entertainment lawyer in LA, and she met a lot of celebs - including Robin Williams, who was a client. She didn't have anything really nice to say about him! She's very religious and a very sweet person, so I was a bit shocked when she told me how Robin was basically an a-hole around the office - ordering people around, and also she'd overhear him on one of the office phones, yelling and cussing out whoever it was he was speaking to. She was pretty appalled by him!
    I believe it. Depressed, alcoholic, drug user, and possibly bi-polar and who-knows-what-else. Those folks are not fun to be around, I don't care how much you might love their sentimental movies. In interviews I'd always found his manic riffing disingenuous and somewhat childish, like he was too full of himself to just relax and be real with people instead of treating the interviewer like an audience. If close friends and family weren't around, that should tell you something. He alienated himself from everyone. Fatally.

Now, I would like to take this opportunity to make Robin Williams' suicide all about ME and MY depression, loneliness, and drug problems. Seriously, is it just me, or is anyone else's Facebook feed full of "I'm Robin Williams" this week?
    Last edited by Gladiolus; 08-13-2014 at 10:37 PM.

RIP Mr. Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    I feel sorry for, and fear for, Robin Williams's children. Over the years, they must have witnessed their father going in and out of depression and substance abuse, which may have hereditary components as well. Yet every time, he survived and went forward to new accomplishments and success, even after dry spells. Now, he has finished it forever.

If I was either of their mothers, I'd be worried sick for the rest of my life about their futures, though at this point, I don't recall reading a bad thing about any of them, not even the oldest, Zachary, who's 31 now. Long may that continue and that they can survive their grief and whatever undeserved guilt they may feel about not being able to help their Dad.

Suicide, per se, is not selfish in and of itself if there is such tremendous mental and / or physical pain, but Robin Williams was an intelligent, and it would seem, sensitive man, who must have thought--SOMETIME-- about the effects his decisions might have on his children. If there was an element of selfishness or inconsideration in his manner of life and death, that is the place where it must be admitted.
    Let me put in a word for the woman who found him, his personal assistant. The image that has formed in some FAD users' minds she saw for real. I have no idea of what their relationship was like, but I can't imagine she did anything deserving of such a.... I donno. My mother had training as a counselor before she went to mortuary school and she's said that suicides are usually very planned out. People pick out times and places strategically in order for certain people to find them. A lot of suicides don't leave a note because the suicide itself is the ultimate message--"f*** you," often to the person they think will find them. Maybe he was thinking it would be his wife who found him (doesn't sound like they were close), but I hate to think he just didn't care if his PA or maybe one of this kids or just whoever found him. I'm shaken and saddened by the death of someone who was such a big part of my childhood, but this part of the story really bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by theladyinquestion View Post
    Let me put in a word for the woman who found him, his personal assistant. The image that has formed in some FAD users' minds she saw for real. I have no idea of what their relationship was like, but I can't imagine she did anything deserving of such a.... I donno. My mother had training as a counselor before she went to mortuary school and she's said that suicides are usually very planned out. People pick out times and places strategically in order for certain people to find them. A lot of suicides don't leave a note because the suicide itself is the ultimate message--"f*** you," often to the person they think will find them. Maybe he was thinking it would be his wife who found him (doesn't sound like they were close), but I hate to think he just didn't care if his PA or maybe one of this kids or just whoever found him. I'm shaken and saddened by the death of someone who was such a big part of my childhood, but this part of the story really bothers me.
    Thats interesting information. In my case, it was rather impulsive and alcohol was involved further blurring my judgement and rational thought. He seemed to me to be a rather impulsive person and alcohol was his drug of choice so if the tox screen comes back showing that it was involved I wont be surprised. Honestly, when I got to that point I just wanted the pain to stop and I was drowning in despair so I wasnt thinking who would find my body at all or even when they would. I knew my son was out of town so he wouldnt be the one but thats as far as my concern and consideration went. It sounds like he locked the door and they had to break it in so Im guessing he didnt want anyone to find him very easily anyway. He also had cut his wrists so it even seems like he didnt plan it out at all because then he used a belt to hang on the door. It all sounds very impulsive to me but I could be wrong

Wendy A. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    I was talking to my mother this evening and she said did he not hold a door open for you once? I had completely forgotten it ! It was probably the late '90's and I was about to enter The Manulife Centre here On Bloor St. He was coming out, and as I approached he held the door, I was looking at him knowing full well who he was, but a little stunned, all I did was smile and say thank you and he said your very welcome and off he went. I remember thinking then as I am now, what a simple kind gesture,especially in a city that moves faster then light and half the time no one looks at you. Thank You Mr. Williams,this time I won't forget.
    how awesome it that! I bet YOU made his day by just being appreciative and not making a huge fuss over who he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy A. View Post
    how awesome it that! I bet YOU made his day by just being appreciative and not making a huge fuss over who he was.
    You are right. He probably appreciated the nod of recognition and that he wasn't asked to participate in a circus of picture taking, autograph signing, etc. I bet it made his day.

Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    You are right. He probably appreciated the nod of recognition and that he wasn't asked to participate in a circus of picture taking, autograph signing, etc. I bet it made his day.

This is 100% true. I used to work where different celebs walked through the door every day. (After about a month of directly talking to various peeps the shine wears off real fast & you see them as regular mundane people.) I would see a celeb be much more likely to engage a fan that treated them like a regular person instead of the "WOO HOO" fan.

If anything, a celeb is more likely to remember you and that moment just like that simple act of door holding because it hardly ever happens to them... I've even heard funny comments like: "Go back & find that person, I like them." or "Did they not know who I am?" Lol.

My point being, yes, I bet that small gesture of just acknowledging him & moving on was noticed & appreciated.
    Last edited by LLC; 08-14-2014 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Rambling.

Wendy A. Guest
    I'm still upset over the loss of Robin Williams. He's always been around making me laugh, since I was a little kid. This hurts worse than the lose of John Ritter and that was upsetting. I truly hope he's at peace now. Poor Guy!

Radar reporting that Robin never got over the death of John Belushi,

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/20...belushi-death/

Also Robin and Deniro were both with Belushi right before he died....A per Scott's in Depth age on Belushi

Check out the Find-a-Death page on Belushi
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

weirdgurl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladiolus View Post
    I believe it. Depressed, alcoholic, drug user, and possibly bi-polar and who-knows-what-else. Those folks are not fun to be around, I don't care how much you might love their sentimental movies. In interviews I'd always found his manic riffing disingenuous and somewhat childish, like he was too full of himself to just relax and be real with people instead of treating the interviewer like an audience.
    If close friends and family weren't around, that should tell you something. He alienated himself from everyone. Fatally. Now, I would like to take this opportunity to make Robin Williams' suicide all about ME and MY depression, loneliness, and drug problems. Seriously, is it just me, or is anyone else's Facebook feed full of "I'm Robin Williams" this week?
    Most interviews (on talk shows and the like) are basically short performances. They are not exactly the forum for deep introspection & revelations. It is hard to do that between commercial breaks.
    Stewart found and posted this. Give it a listen if you want to hear Mr Williams being "relaxed and real". http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episod...robin_williams

Isolating oneself is typically done because a depressed person simply does not have the reserves to interact with other people. I am very happy for you that you have never experienced deep depression. I'm glad that people are talking so much about their feelings & addictions. My hope is that what will come of it is a public understanding and increase in compassion for those whose suffer from "invisible" illnesses.

Quote Originally Posted by theladyinquestion View Post
    A lot of suicides don't leave a note because the suicide itself is the ultimate message--"f*** you," often to the person they think will find them.
    I wonder how they "know" that. Seems to me that without a note it is hard to know what exactly was going through a person's mind prior to their death...
    Last edited by weirdgurl; 08-14-2014 at 09:47 AM.

The reason we aren't fun to be around, is because we have no reserves to deal with much, it's like you're on a roller coaster and can't get off, When I told my friends that I had major medical depression, anxiety, ptsd, and bi polar, they were like, oh we'll be here for you, if you need us call us. The few times I did need them and call, they were suddenly not able to be here, I also know that in public with them, I had to act like everything is okay, I say had because I haven't heard from my friends in almost a year, It's like we have the plague. so yep I may go into hyper mode, like Mr. Williams did, because we don't want people to walk away from us, we want to be apart of the crowd, so we try really hard to be upbeat and I am okay, you're okay, we're all okay, mood, and in the end when we go home we are exhausted, and feel alone. I say we, because I totally understand what he went through, the feeling alone, the having to keep up being funny and in a good mood. Sorry for my rambling post, some people just think depression and such can just go away or it's not that bad, I want people to understand what it's really like.

Again Mr. Williams, thank you so much for the laughs even though you were hurting and crying inside.
    Last edited by pkstracy; 08-14-2014 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by weirdgurl View Post
    ...I am very happy for you that you have never experienced deep depression...
    You can't know if a person hasn't experienced something just because they didn't mention it.

Some people don't feel the need to make sure everyone within a radius knows all about their personal history. There's a difference between seeking help and seeking attention. Or worse, making excuses for bad behavior (If I snap at you, lie to you, steal from you, live off you and generally take advantage of you, or I just need you to constantly be there and always listen to me whine while I'm never around when you need support, then I can guilt-trip you into taking care of me or putting up with me because I'm suffering from depression, drug-addiction, bi-polar, whatever, so I need you to UNDERSTAND ME and what *I* am going through, k? Friends?).

Robin Williams was a very popular mainstream, family-friendly celebrity. Like MANY PEOPLE, he had problems with depression, alcoholism, drug-abuse, and dysfunctional relationships. Most people with these problems do not have fans and are not popular like Robin Williams. Their problems are not unique and have been discussed for decades already, as our thriving pharmaceutical industry can attest. So when a famous person is suffering from depression/drugs/alcohol, then otherwise un-notable people have something in common with them.

Quote Originally Posted by weirdgurl View Post
    Most interviews (on talk shows and the like) are basically short performances. They are not exactly the forum for deep introspection & revelations. It is hard to do that between commercial breaks.
    Stewart found and posted this. Give it a listen if you want to hear Mr Williams being "relaxed and real". http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episod...robin_williams
    Nobody expects celebrities to be deep and introspective in short interviews, that wasn't the point. The guy would constantly interrupt, ignore, dismiss, and attempt to dominate his interviewers, trying to force them to just sit there and admire his "genius." Their polite laughter was painful to watch.

Yes, I heard that podcast. It was the only interview of Robin Williams that didn't make me cringe with annoyance. If anybody can find something similar on YouTube or another podcast I'd love to see more.

I think this definition in Urban Dictionary sums it up nicely:

Robin Williams

A guy that stopped being funny around 1982. Now he likes to come on the Tonight Show, sit next to Leno and do his lack of a bit for around 12 minutes. Then continue his shit when the next guest comes on if Williams has not run over and bumped them. Usually a 15-20 year old actress with a never heard of TV show. Few really famous people would appear on the same show as this ass. He interrupts and hogs as much of their 3 minutes and 15 seconds as he can.

Example:
    Jay Leno: So you are from Kansas.
    Actress: Yeah, I...(interrupted by Robin Williams)
    Robin Williams: I've been to Kansas Hark Hark! WHoA! Har HAR! Sunflowers and flat land.Womp, Womp! NA! HArk!
    Jay: So your Mother is here?
    Actress: Yes, she is..(interrupted by Robin Williams)
    Robin Williams: I had a mother! HAR HAR! ZOOM! Wonk!

It's not enough that he has hundreds of millions of dollars, everyone else must suffer.

That Robin Williams son of a bitch needs stop hogging the spotlight on the tonight show. Damn people who are half ass famous are thinking someone will spot them but that will never happen cause Robin Williams cannot shut his unfunny, fucking mouth.
    P.S. I bet MY depression was worse than YOURS.
    Last edited by Gladiolus; 08-14-2014 at 11:29 AM. Reason: combined posts

31. 08-14-2014, 11:28 AM
    Reason
    combining with another post

I guess I disagree with your assertion that all depressed people are selfish, lazy pricks. That seems to be your general theme. Depressed people are as different as non-depressed people. Some are lazy. Some are pricks. Some are shy. Some are sweet. Some are all rolled up into one and everything in between. It reads like your views on depressed people are based on one person.

I mean I get what you're saying but what's wrong that after a couple days people share their own experiences with depression? Especially those that might otherwise have not said anything to anyone about it. Seems to me that could be the only good thing to come from his death.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

34. 08-14-2014, 11:46 AM
    Reason
    Dupe

I keep trying to comment and post things, but AGH it won't let me do a "quick reply" because I'm still being moderated! LOL So I apologize that some of my comments and posts are out of order or seem redundant to someone else's.
    The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.

There are two dates in time they will carve on your stone, and everyone knows what they mean, but what's more important is the time that is known, in that little dash there in between.

36. 08-14-2014, 11:53 AM

I believe it. Depressed, alcoholic, drug user, and possibly bi-polar and who-knows-what-else. Those folks are not fun to be around, I don't care how much you might love their sentimental movies. In interviews I'd always found his manic riffing disingenuous and somewhat childish, like he was too full of himself to just relax and be real with people instead of treating the interviewer like an audience. If close friends and family weren't around, that should tell you something. He alienated himself from everyone. Fatally.

Now, I would like to take this opportunity to make Robin Williams' suicide all about ME and MY depression, loneliness, and drug problems. Seriously, is it just me, or is anyone else's Facebook feed full of "I'm Robin Williams" this week?

Why are you participating in this if all you have to say is nasty negative crap?

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    I was just coming over to post about this. Here is another link about his having early stage Parkinson's.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=24983289

was there a suicide note????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    You'll like it Domino. It's seriously amazing. Also if I hadn't said so already.... MST3000 RULES!!!! That show was one of the few that made me laugh so hard tears roll. Even by myself it makes me laugh that hard.
    Agree about MST3K! My all time favorite show! I am hopefully going to get to go to the RiffTrax Live version of Godzilla tonight.

Wow... Now that's a news bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    I was just coming over to post about this. Here is another link about his having early stage Parkinson's.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=24983289
    Ugh

My BIL was diagnosed 2 years ago, he went downhill very rapidly

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    was there a suicide note????
    I think so. As I said in an earlier post that during the press conference the cop said "THE suicide note.... or A suicide note if one exists". And then later he said "THE note" again and didn't even bother to correct himself that time. So I think there is one.

Awesome Upset!

Now I thought it was me! In all interviews, now I don't mean to sound rude because never in my wildest dreams did I think Robin Williams had depression just because of how full of himself he seemed to be in interviews. It was just too much for me to think was 'funny' ....

God forgive me because I know all too well depression & attempts at suicide in the past. But when I watched him, he just seemed like he thought he was so funny. Forgive me all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God, I fucking hate Parkinson's. I watched my Grandfather go from an somewhat active man to someone who couldn't walk or talk in around 10 years when he died. Curious to know how long ago Robin was diagnosed.
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by LLC View Post
    This is 100% true. I used to work where different celebs walked through the door every day. (After about a month of directly talking to various peeps the shine wears off real fast & you see them as regular mundane people.) I would see a celeb be much more likely to engage a fan that treated them like a regular person instead of the "WOO HOO" fan.

If anything, a celeb is more likely to remember you and that moment just like that simple act of door holding because it hardly ever happens to them... I've even heard funny comments like: "Go back & find that person, I like them." or "Did they not know who I am?" Lol.

My point being, yes, I bet that small gesture of just acknowledging him & moving on was noticed & appreciated.

You can't know if a person hasn't experienced something just because they didn't mention it.

Some people don't feel the need to make sure everyone within a radius knows all about their personal history. There's a difference between seeking help and seeking attention. Or worse, making excuses for bad behavior (If I snap at you, lie to you, steal from you, live off you and generally take advantage of you, or I just need you to constantly be there and always listen to me whine while I'm never around when you need support, then I can guilt-trip you into taking care of me or putting up with me because I'm suffering from depression, drug-addiction, bi-polar, whatever, so I need you to UNDERSTAND ME and what *I* am going through, k? Friends?).

Robin Williams was a very popular mainstream, family-friendly celebrity. Like MANY PEOPLE, he had problems with depression, alcoholism, drug-abuse, and dysfunctional relationships. Most people with these problems do not have fans and are not popular like Robin Williams. Their problems are not unique and have been discussed for decades already, as our thriving pharmaceutical industry can attest. So when a famous person is suffering from depression/drugs/alcohol, then otherwise un-notable people have something in common with them.

Nobody expects celebrities to be deep and introspective in short interviews, that wasn't the point. The guy would constantly interrupt, ignore, dismiss, and attempt to dominate his interviewers, trying to force them to just sit there and admire his "genius." Their polite laughter was painful to watch.

Yes, I heard that podcast. It was the only interview of Robin Williams that didn't make me cringe with annoyance. If anybody can find something similar on YouTube or another podcast I'd love to see more.

I think this definition in Urban Dictionary sums it up nicely:

P.S. I bet MY depression was worse than YOURS.
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by shipmatekate View Post
    Ugh

My BIL was diagnosed 2 years ago, he went downhill very rapidly

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    God, I fucking hate Parkinson's. I watched my Grandfather go from an somewhat active man to someone who couldn't walk or talk in around 10 years when he died. Curious to know how long ago Robin was diagnosed.
    It's a bad disease. It killed my grandmother.

Perhaps Robin did not want to go through the final stages of PD. You know Hollywood would have wanted to do a few specials and wheel him out like they did Richard Pryor. What he did is an extremely personal decision and absolutely no one else knows what went through his mind. All I know is I will miss him.

I wonder if the Parkinson's diagnosis was the "cherry" to top it all off, and he said, "Fuck it - I'm done"....

I wonder if the Parkinson's diagnosis was the "cherry" to top it all off, and he said, "Fuck it - I'm done"....
    Might have been, Remember too he just put up for sale a HUGGGGGGGE mansion due to the many divorces.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/robin...ry?id=24944711
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

Yeah. That sounds about right. It was a rough past 5-10 years for him.

I am too curious how long he knew he had Parkinson's... Also, I wonder if it makes people like Michael J. Fox feel who continue to battle it daily?

Will his autopsy show what stage he may have been in?
    My Posse's On Broadway

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    My question that I first thought of, when I read that it was Robin's own wife, who's now telling people he has Parkinson's is: "why at this time, when she says she wants some privacy, does she drop a bomb like this to the media?" Is she trying to "justify" in her own mind, or to the public, why her husband committed suicide? Or is she trying to garner up more sympathy for herself, about her husband's death? It seems to me that she wants to erace the fact that her husband committed suicide because he was depressed and that it's much more acceptable to her, or the public, if he committed suicide, because he has Parkinson's. If so, this just perpetuates the "stigma" associated with depression. That has to stop!
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

I don't think anyone mentioned this, but I saw an interview with Robin Williams years ago, where he stated he also had ADHD. My ex had it, and when he wasn't on his meds, he was manic, and was enough to drive a saint to sin.

I think it's a good thing that people see that a celebrity has struggles, just like the rest of us. It has actually made me more comfortable about opening up about my own anxiety/depression. I have seen some awesome conversations, online, with complete strangers discussing the oft-stigmatized subject of mental illness. I see no point in going on and on on a hateful tangent about someone who was clearly suffering. Of course, the old saying is true: 'There's a rotten apple in every bunch.'

We're all human beings, warts and all..