Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mannequin or Corpse?

MissZoot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    It would be so cool!! My family already thinks I am a freak so it would fit right into my wedding, lol.

**Disclaimer - I don't want to get married!
    LOL-I had my wedding-day makeup done by a drag queen, and now I'm wishing I had the "fresh off the corpse" dress as well. And I think you should get married only if you want to, OR if you get the chance to wear a corpse-dress. You can always get it annulled, but the corpse-dress is forever.

Even if it is creepy and gross, bad publicity is still publicity.

In one of the articles above, one of the lucky employees that gets to dress the "mannequin" said it has varicose veins.

Yup, nothing suspicious about that at all.
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ozzysmom View Post
    Oh hell no, I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those gowns.....wait, what? lmao
    Me, either....huh?
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I would too. Why not? Lol. If I could fit into it. Lol.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by MissZoot View Post
    LOL-I had my wedding-day makeup done by a drag queen, and now I'm wishing I had the "fresh off the corpse" dress as well. And I think you should get married only if you want to, OR if you get the chance to wear a corpse-dress. You can always get it annulled, but the corpse-dress is forever.
    OMG so true. Let me go find a sucker.

Freakeeeeeeeee.......

Okay, if you were able to go to the bridal shop....would you try and touch her? See what she felt like? I think I'd be tempted....

Quote Originally Posted by *sarah* View Post
    Okay, if you were able to go to the bridal shop....would you try and touch her? See what she felt like? I think I'd be tempted....
    I would. I would lift up the dress to see what's going on under there.

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    I would. I would lift up the dress to see what's going on under there.
    So would I or just a touch of a hand however I betcha potential peekers and touchies were considered long ago or maybe even happened...after all she died in 1930...so I'm thinking the rear of her cubicle is a glass panel and door.

One more thought: If one were to peek under the gown, I suspect there's more than only two legs, as in a metal pedestal connected to to a metal plate on the floor and and the top end of the pedestal connected to...well...use your imagination. How else could a corpse stand?
    Last edited by Bidmor; 08-06-2014 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    So would I or just a touch of a hand however I betcha potential peekers and touchies were considered long ago or maybe even happened...after all she died in 1930...so I'm thinking the rear of her cubicle is a glass panel and door.
    Very good point.

One more thought: If one were to peek under the gown, I suspect there's more than only two legs, as in a metal pedestal connected to to a metal plate on the floor and and the top end of the pedestal connected to...well...use your imagination. How else could a corpse stand?
    Wait, wait, wait. You think they'd stick the other end of the pedestal up her hoo-ha?????
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

I wonder why they change her twice a week, most mannequins aren't changed that often, are they? Seems like they wouldn't change her as often, at risk of messing her up. Unless they take her back to do touch ups on her makeup or something.

MissZoot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RiaBrown View Post
    Wait, wait, wait. You think they'd stick the other end of the pedestal up her hoo-ha?????
    Nah-she seems to generally be dressed in full-skirted gowns, so they probably have her clamped around the waist and either the giant crinoline or the hoops go over that.

One of the websites said that back when she was first displayed, they had people coming in and trying to dig their nails into her face or hands, so I imagine she IS protected. The boutique I worked in had locks on the display windows; it's fairly common practice to keep dumbasses from deciding to be "funny" and climbing into the displays.
    Last edited by MissZoot; 08-06-2014 at 04:33 PM.

Oh, hell yeah! I would be tempted to tap on her eyeballs!

ozzysmom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
    Oh, hell yeah! I would be tempted to tap on her eyeballs!
    I would think that the eyes have to be fake. It would be major hard to preserve them.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzysmom View Post
    I would think that the eyes have to be fake. It would be major hard to preserve them.
    Yea they would sink in.

Bidmor Guest
    Oh those eyes have to be glass or at least I bet they were to begin with...probably still are if she was preserved via some sort of unique method involving taxidermy practices. Has to be. The body seems to be rigid except for her fingers which seem to be semi-rigid...fingers being slightly flexible in order to hold beads etc, which would explain the visible decomp showing in her palms and underside of fingers. Her upper hands appear to get a regular coating of make-up or paint or whatever. Also the heavy eye-liner area to cover decomp.

Besides nosy adults, an enclosed cubicle keeps stray rug rats out. "Mommy! The lady's legs are blue!"

And that may be the reason her gown is changed so often. Her discoloring torso may begin to show through after a few days.

Glass eyes are very realistic. It's the hands that creep me out. Holy Elmer McCurdy!

I'm trying to picture how they would dress her with her arm positioning. Do you think they would have to cut the dress to get it on her?
    Archer Fact: You canâ??t tourniquet the taint. (Source: Ray Gillette)

Quote Originally Posted by homesgirl View Post
    I'm trying to picture how they would dress her with her arm positioning. Do you think they would have to cut the dress to get it on her?
    That's a really good point. Most everyone I have dressed and casketed so far have not required cutting. However, there was this one elderly lady who was overweight and we had a hard time getting her clothing on because she was so hard to move around - dead weight literally. Anywho, we could still manipulate her arms, limbs, etc. to an extent. If this chick is stuffed like a wild boar like I suspect she is, they would have to cut the gown to get it on her. There would be no other way.

Bidmor Guest
    I suspect the sleeves are slid on over her hands and up her arms then pinned to the gown.

Here's a mental pic for ya....84 year-old corpse pits.

MissZoot Guest

And that may be the reason her gown is changed so often. Her discoloring torso may begin to show through after a few days.
    Or it could just be that she helps move merchandise, since one of the articles said that some brides let her "pick" their gown-IOW, they buy the same dress as she's wearing. If that's the case, then you just change her into whatever you want to get rid of or whatever dress gives you the biggest profit margin or what have you, and you do it often because I'd bet folks around NOTICE how long the dress has been on her and brides want to be unique. I mean, it's possible that she's just an amazingly good wax mannequin (that would get dirty over time, and that dirt would build up in the lines and grooves and end up looking like decomp) and the shop owners are smart enough to use her "legend" to increase their profits.

Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post
    JAJAJAJA! Holy shitbricks, Batman! At around the 3 minute mark when the camera bounces up and down, it looks like she is talking and smiling! I was reading the comments on Google Translate, and I guess on the video they still didn't say if she was real or not. I read somewhere that she was embalmed, then covered in wax. Really! How does a dummy-maker(?) go into such awesome detail on cadaverous looking hands, flawless features, ears, nostrils, and then fuck up the eyes, and make uneven lips? In that video, they show vintage footage of her with better looking, not so sunken eyes. She had her hair down, I believe. Btw, how do you change eye makeup on a plastic or wooden mannequin?

Corpse!

Maybe they covered her in wax and painted her. Didn't they do that to Saint's bodies in the middle ages? They would display them and say that since they were blessed it made their bodies incorruptible. I have a book by a guy who went all over Europe looking for relics of Saints. There was a story that someone ran in and bit the toe off of a Saint's body and ran out with it in their mouth. I know this is weird, and I should state my source. I'll try to find the book.

http://content.time.com/time/special...988722,00.html

St. Francis Xavier?

"In its first public exhibition of corpse in Goa, India, in fit of reverence, a Portuguese woman bit off his big toe. Allegedly, the toe gushed blood, and she was caught when people followed the grisly trail to her home."
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post
    http://content.time.com/time/special...988722,00.html

St. Francis Xavier?

"In its first public exhibition of corpse in Goa, India, in fit of reverence, a Portuguese woman bit off his big toe. Allegedly, the toe gushed blood, and she was caught when people followed the grisly trail to her home."
    Thank you! I was thinking I imagined the whole thing. People do such weird things! People shouldn't bite dead people, I think that's in Leviticus somewhere.

MinLynn Guest
    I don't believe this to be a real corpse at all. It was quite popular in the the 18th and 19th century to create highly detailed wax models (with individually inserted hair and glass eyes and very anatomically correct parts such as hands) for both fashion modeling and for medical studying (They weren't all made to look like celebs ala Madame Tussaud). Some were even used in churches. Here is a link with some other photos of similar wax models that are not corpses. That mannequin is probably worth quite a lot of money and that is why not anybody can dress it and why the public can not touch it. Plus, the creepy story gives the store a huge amount of publicity and free advertising.
    http://www.deceptology.com/2012/02/5...-some-cut.html

ozzysmom Guest
    Even Madame Tussaud's couldn't do those hands. I think the head and hands are real, everything else not so much.

MinLynn, I looked at the link and they do look realistic. But did they make their hands look as human as hers? That is the thing that bugs me about this "mannequin", her hands look so real and old and dead.

MinLynn Guest
    Yes. If you google it and look at the images and some of the articles there are pics of hands that look the same. It was a huge fad in Europe to make fashion mannequins look as realistic as possible. This was especially true of the anatomical medical models. Back when they didn't exactly have a surplus of people donating their bodies to science for study this was a great, legal way for students of medicine and anatomy to study and learn. There are people who collect these models and they are highly sought after but rare to find and worth quite a large amount of money. In my opinion, if this was a true corpse, it would not be able to be handled enough to have it's clothes changed regularly, have it's hairstyle changed (I'd think the scalp, as thin as it is, would have deteriorated by now) and be posed around without causing significant damage. Not to mention that I'm sure the shop's environment isn't set up to actually keep a body that well preserved. Even bodies like little Rosalia in Italy are kept in sealed boxes to keep out moisture and keep the environment exactly preferable to keeping her body preserved. Of course the owner is not going to have the mannequin subjected to x-rays,etc. to prove it's a corpse. As long as people believe it's true, it brings him in money and publicity.

ETA: If you believe the head and hands are real...how do you propose the hands and head have been attached to a fake body and not deteriorated after all this time? Just curious.
    Last edited by MinLynn; 08-08-2014 at 03:53 PM.

ozzysmom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MinLynn View Post
    Yes. If you google it and look at the images and some of the articles there are pics of hands that look the same. It was a huge fad in Europe to make fashion mannequins look as realistic as possible. This was especially true of the anatomical medical models. Back when they didn't exactly have a surplus of people donating their bodies to science for study this was a great, legal way for students of medicine and anatomy to study and learn. There are people who collect these models and they are highly sought after but rare to find and worth quite a large amount of money. In my opinion, if this was a true corpse, it would not be able to be handled enough to have it's clothes changed regularly, have it's hairstyle changed (I'd think the scalp, as thin as it is, would have deteriorated by now) and be posed around without causing significant damage. Not to mention that I'm sure the shop's environment isn't set up to actually keep a body that well preserved. Even bodies like little Rosalia in Italy are kept in sealed boxes to keep out moisture and keep the environment exactly preferable to keeping her body preserved. Of course the owner is not going to have the mannequin subjected to x-rays,etc. to prove it's a corpse. As long as people believe it's true, it brings him in money and publicity.

ETA: If you believe the head and hands are real...how do you propose the hands and head have been attached to a fake body and not deteriorated after all this time? Just curious.

I'd like to see photos of the hands of those mannequins in the article.
    To answer your question. Easy, chop off the head and hands and seal the ends with something. God know what but something. Simple

Attachment 51242

There is no way this isn't a real hand. Just look at the opaqueness of the finger nail.
    Last edited by ozzysmom; 08-08-2014 at 04:10 PM.

33. 08-08-2014, 04:09 PM

MinLynn Guest
    I'm having a hard time finding close ups of hands for the these antique wax models (except for the second link). But you have to admit that the heads of these 1920's wax models look strikingly similar to the "Corpse Bride". If artist were able to capture so much detail in pieces for places like the Mutter museum then I can't imagine it would be that difficult for a good wax artist to render life-like, realistic hands on a wax model. Of course this is all my opinion on the matter. Everybody is free to believe it's a standing corpse. I just choose to believe it's impossible for it to be without scientific proof. Varicose veins? Good! Let me see a pic of that!

http://www.rubylane.com/item/1178605...ax78-Mannequin
    http://secretlifeofmannequins.blogsp...mannequin.html

MissZoot Guest
    I'm having a hard time finding close ups of hands for the these antique wax models (except for the second link). But you have to admit that the heads of these 1920's wax models look strikingly similar to the "Corpse Bride". If artist were able to capture so much detail in pieces for places like the Mutter museum then I can't imagine it would be that difficult for a good wax artist to render life-like, realistic hands on a wax model. Of course this is all my opinion on the matter. Everybody is free to believe it's a standing corpse. I just choose to believe it's impossible for it to be without scientific proof. Varicose veins? Good! Let me see a pic of that!

I'm with you, MinLynn. She's an amazing work of art and incredibly well-maintained, and it doesn't make her any less creepy-cool than if she were a corpse. I suspect the hand photos may have been altered a bit to make them look more realistic, but that's just a guess. Either way, I can understand why the shop has kept her around for all of these years-she's worth a small fortune in her own right, and the publicity and business she brings in is just icing. As for varicose veins, hell, the artist obviously put a lot of effort into creating her, so it isn't that hard to imagine that he/she paid as much attention to the details of the legs as to the rest of her.

Corpse or wax figure, she's freakin' awesome.

The hands in the link MinLynn posted do look just as real. I suppose someone could make the bride's hands look slightly decomposed to support the whole dead body hoax for profit. I honestly have to say it's the most rational and plausible scenario to me.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

ozzysmom Guest

Oh for sure, very similar!

I'd kill for a look at those varicose veins!

My son said it best. If it's not a real corpse, why are her hands that color? If she was fake her hands wouldn't be that color. I must say, I have to agree with him. In the pic you can tell they've used some sort of makeup on her hands to cover up some very gray hands....

Last edited by ozzysmom; 08-08-2014 at 05:37 PM. Reason: addition

I used to have pretty hands, now they look like the corpse hands. Maybe I should cover them in wax.

I heard something interesting about Madam Tussaud. She was an art teacher to Marie Antoinette's daughter. When the French Revolution started and they were killing aristocrats she was a target because she was with the royals. She talked her way out of beheading, and instead made wax models of the disembodied heads to put on sticks and show to people. Later she did the wax museum.

MissZoot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hidium View Post
    I used to have pretty hands, now they look like the corpse hands. Maybe I should cover them in wax.
    Those paraffin treatments can get pricey.

ozzysmom Guest

I heard something interesting about Madam Tussaud. She was an art teacher to Marie Antoinette's daughter. When the French Revolution started and they were killing aristocrats she was a target because she was with the royals. She talked her way out of beheading, and instead made wax models of the disembodied heads to put on sticks and show to people. Later she did the wax museum.

Damn, that is interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by MissZoot View Post
    Those paraffin treatments can get pricey.
    I need to dip my whole damned body in paraffin!

-those hands MinLynn posted do look as cadaverous! I googled "wax mannequins" and they all have the same hairlines in that time period, where they filled in the hairline with color. Still, how do you change the eye makeup on those? I can only imagine the person making her telling the owner "I make her soooooooo bootiful dey pray to her!"

weirdgurl Guest
    I followed MinLynn's link and followed it to this:
    http://www.gems-studio.com/index.php

How freakin' cool is that?!?

43. 08-09-2014, 08:57 PM

Wow, the hands in that second link do look very real. Whatever she is, real or fake, she is freaking creepy....

ozzysmom Guest
    Wow, the hands in that second link do look very real. Whatever she is, real or fake, she is freaking creepy....

That is definitely something we all agree on. She really is creeeepy!

Maybe the owner had a wax mannequin made to look just like her daughter. The hands are just odd though. Maybe, through, the years, dirt got caught in the cracks and crevices in her hands to create that effect. Her eyes creep me out, her uneven bottom lip, but her expression is just peaceful and beautiful.

Bidmor Guest
    Of course we are assuming the hands are original. If she is a mannequin and some 80 year old one at that, it's reasonable to assume those hands may not be the originals and received a pair of newer and more realistic hands a few years ago.

The cuticles are what initially convinced me until I saw the hands in the second link above. Now I'm not so sure. If she is a mannequin, I assume she has had a number of major re-freshenings over the years.

Now I'm 50/50...expertly and uniquely treated corpse or state of art mannequin with simulated traces of decomp to perpetuate the story which encourages publicity.

I told my friend about this, she is Mexican/Italian. She said that traditional Mexican people really like this kind of story, a virgin dying in her glory on her wedding day is a favorite. Usually it's a spider or a scorpion because it wouldn't ruin her looks, but sometimes it's a jealous former girlfriend of the groom who does her in by stabbing her. There's a story in Los Angeles, maybe other places, where the ghost of a woman who lost her baby then killed herself goes around stealing little kids and putting them in her rib cage where they stay alive, crying for their mothers. It also served as a way to get the children to come in after dark. They tell some good cautionary stories.

MinLynn, as an artist, I'm thinking you could do cool images of the hands.

Thanks Ozzysmom. I am trying to remember when I learned about Madame Tussaud. I think it was on a show about the Rococo era, Art, Travel, Madness - on the National Geographic channel.

About paraffin treatments, I bought a home wax melting/dipping vat at Bed, Bath and Beyonce.

In the comments on one of the youtube videos a lady posted and said she had been to the shop a few times and there is an newspaper article about the brides death that is taped to the window. And in the article is says she died in a car accident on the way to the wedding.

Bidmor Guest
    I bought a home wax melting/dipping vat at Bed, Bath and Beyonce.
    Beyonce?

In the comments on one of the youtube videos a lady posted and said she had been to the shop a few times and there is an newspaper article about the brides death that is taped to the window. And in the article is says she died in a car accident on the way to the wedding.
    Hmmmm. Verrrry interesting.
    Snap! I've got it. After her funeral, her head and hands were removed. Head was sent to a taxidermist and stuffed and made up and the neck attached to attached to a standard mannequin head mount. Her hands received some type of unique embalming to leave the fingers flexible, then each attached to standard mannequin wrist mount. So the head and hands are "real" and the rest is standard mannequin. Simple.

The more I look at the pics, it seems like she has a really long neck.

I agree with you Sarah. Her neck is creepy long, it's unnatural looking. I did read some thread online that the story is that just the head and hands are real, the rest, no so much. That could explain why her neck is always covered?
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.