Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Station Nightclub fire in West Warwick, Rhode Island 2

I swear, I hate that I keep having to ditch for a few weeks at a time...RL crap still cropping up...anyways
    -I'm with you guys with regards to Butler. I remember reading later accounts where people claimed they yelled at him to get out of the way, and yet you don't see/hear that on the video. I know the quality of the vid is not the greatest in the world, but a lot of it is clear enough that if you would've heard "get out of the way!" or something to that effect, you'd hear it.
    -Noelle: could you (or someone) direct me to a decent shot of Erin Pucino coming out the main entrance behind Butler? If she is blonde in the vid, that could explain why I've had trouble seeing her. The only photo I have of her has her with dark hair, glasses, and a few facial piercings. It's made it hard for me to pick her out.
    -When I've had time to plow through some more of the witness statements, I ran across someone who was very interesting to me that I never knew before. Robert Rager, who was the sound man for Great White, is from Kent, OH (about 15-20 minutes away from where I live). He still works as a sound man at a local amphitheatre. There was a cool article on him in the local paper last year, but I can't access it anymore. Here's a pic of him though:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RRager.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	51069
    "I was 12 going on 13 the first time I saw a dead human being" --Stand by Me

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    I just noticed the first thread was closed. I started that thread and was proud to see it grow to over 6000 entries. Like watching a child grow.
    Right? It's pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonams View Post
    I swear, I hate that I keep having to ditch for a few weeks at a time...RL crap still cropping up...anyways
    -I'm with you guys with regards to Butler. I remember reading later accounts where people claimed they yelled at him to get out of the way, and yet you don't see/hear that on the video. I know the quality of the vid is not the greatest in the world, but a lot of it is clear enough that if you would've heard "get out of the way!" or something to that effect, you'd hear it.
    -Noelle: could you (or someone) direct me to a decent shot of Erin Pucino coming out the main entrance behind Butler? If she is blonde in the vid, that could explain why I've had trouble seeing her. The only photo I have of her has her with dark hair, glasses, and a few facial piercings. It's made it hard for me to pick her out.
    -When I've had time to plow through some more of the witness statements, I ran across someone who was very interesting to me that I never knew before. Robert Rager, who was the sound man for Great White, is from Kent, OH (about 15-20 minutes away from where I live). He still works as a sound man at a local amphitheatre. There was a cool article on him in the local paper last year, but I can't access it anymore. Here's a pic of him though:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RRager.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	51069
    I remember the 'blocking the exit" stuff. IIRC, some survivors stated he did NOT block anyone's exit. It was in a few statements. I think it's clear from the video he didn't impede anyone.

He wasn't the one who impeded people from going out the door, a certain prick and barfly turned bouncer did though.

Crims - let me see what I can do
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

This thread needs a bump. I just found a useful document among the hard drive files. It's an alphabetical listing of all the people in The Station at the time of the fire, and their exit point (e.g. door, window) or if they were deceased. According to this table there were a total of 458 people inside.

This document is in Phase 4 Misc. Computer Files. Here is the direct link - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1F...it?usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by dionyzus View Post
    This thread needs a bump. I just found a useful document among the hard drive files. It's an alphabetical listing of all the people in The Station at the time of the fire, and their exit point (e.g. door, window) or if they were deceased. According to this table there were a total of 458 people inside.

This document is in Phase 4 Misc. Computer Files. Here is the direct link - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1F...it?usp=sharing

That is a great find.

Its pretty interesting to see this information and I just noticed Nick O'Neill's bandmate JB made it out through a window.

Guess who is coming to a pavilion near where I live - Jack Russell's Great White! It is part of a 1980's celebration that is about 3 days long. Not going.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle1966 View Post
    Guess who is coming to a pavilion near where I live - Jack Russell's Great White! It is part of a 1980's celebration that is about 3 days long. Not going.
    I don't blame you one bit.

If it was one of those things where I could go a day or so and see other bands, then ok. I would never pay money to see Jack Russell.

I obtained another copy of the Butler video which I don't think we have seen yet, and have posted it to the Google Drive. It is a Quicktime movie of the video, and seems to be made with fire safety training in mind, with some side-by-side comparisons with the NIST room fire tests to show how fast smoke filled the room. It has a small time stamp at the bottom rather than the "Start Clock" time captions in the other copy of the video I posted a few months ago. Anyway this new video is posted to the site under the directory Contents Not From Original Hard Drive, or directly at the following link - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1F...it?usp=sharing

The video quality is about the same as the other copies we have seen, so in that sense this is not an improvement. But it's an interesting alternate version anyway. It starts when the fire starts, so there's no preshow walkthrough either.

It's funny how I came across this. I just joined a new local band with some musicians I hadn't played with before. We got to talking about our day jobs and the keyboard/2nd guitar player says he is in fire inspection and safety. I mentioned the Station Fire and he says he is interested in it too. And that he had this copy of the Butler video. How cool to meet someone in real life who shares this interest! Anyway I'll let you know if he has any other inside info. In case he comes across this forum, thanks Kenny.

If it was one of those things where I could go a day or so and see other bands, then ok. I would never pay money to see Jack Russell.
    Me either. Ugh.

Mammy Guest
    You couldn't pay me to listen to the sumbitch if he was standing in my yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    You couldn't pay me to listen to the sumbitch if he was standing in my yard.
    lmao. All I can imagine is your avatar the monkey standing in your front yard in Kentucky shaking your head back and forth really fast saying - NO WAY, UH HUH, GO AWAY SUMBITCH!Name:  monkey.jpg
Views: 3297
Size:  2.7 KB
    Last edited by findadeathaddict; 07-22-2014 at 07:04 PM.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    lmao. All I can imagine is your avatar the monkey standing in your front yard in Kentucky shaking your head back and forth really fast saying - NO WAY, UH HUH, GO AWAY SUMBITCH!
    LOL, as I hurl my shit at him in true monkey fashion.

LOL, as I hurl my shit at him in true monkey fashion.
    That's a shit gun. It shoots turds. Just in case you were wondering.

Mammy Guest
    That's a shit gun. It shoots turds. Just in case you were wondering.
    There's no picture showing. Inside the box says Image Hotlinked From Scared Monkeys Dot Com.

There's no picture showing. Inside the box says Image Hotlinked From Scared Monkeys Dot Com.
    The monkey was scared. I fixed it - I think.

Mammy Guest
    Wow, she looks just like me! Lol

I'm surprised that Great White was even invited to a music festival. I thought their venues were all rundown dives.

Wow, she looks just like me! Lol

I'm surprised that Great White was even invited to a music festival. I thought their venues were all rundown dives.
    I would be embarrassed to show up after what happened at the Station. That would have put me in to permanent retirement.

Mammy Guest
    I would be embarrassed to show up after what happened at the Station. That would have put me in to permanent retirement.
    If he doesn't lay off the drugs and booze, he's going to put himself into permanent retirement.

Goldieannabelle Guest
    either would I. I'd rather use my money to go on a trip or something, or go to a Karaoke bar and watch people butcher other peoples music.

Can't watch the video without really feeling for all the people especially the lady at the beginning who asks "Where's my husband" then lets out a horrific scream

Anyone know if he made it out?

Great video. Crims - I don't want to give you wrong information, but I think that Erin Pucino appears in dionyzus' video at about 1:14 and disappears about 1:23. I think that she had really blonde hair in the video, but I need to read up on it a little bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Can't watch the video without really feeling for all the people especially the lady at the beginning who asks "Where's my husband" then lets out a horrific scream

Anyone know if he made it out?
    Dude, I wonder about this lady and her husband too. It would seem that she got out early enough that if she and her husband got only slightly separated in the crowd, he could have had time to make it out the front door before the pileup started. But her scream is tough to listen to, as she realizes her husband might be in grave danger.

One thing we could try is use the table of people in the Station recently uncovered and read the witness statements of all females that exited via the front door. Maybe one of them refers to being separated from their husband then being reunited. I hope that's the case!

Dude, I wonder about this lady and her husband too. It would seem that she got out early enough that if she and her husband got only slightly separated in the crowd, he could have had time to make it out the front door before the pileup started. But her scream is tough to listen to, as she realizes her husband might be in grave danger.

One thing we could try is use the table of people in the Station recently uncovered and read the witness statements of all females that exited via the front door. Maybe one of them refers to being separated from their husband then being reunited. I hope that's the case!
    On one of the videos in the comments mentions the lady screaming for her husband, she made it out but he didn't. He tried to go out the side door but the nefarious prick door troll stopped him. I would have laid him out cold then carried his dumb ass out the door with me.

If anyone might shine the light on this or have been able to ID the poor woman.
    Last edited by TheDude; 07-23-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Great White is also playing Golden, Colorado at the Buffalo Rose Bar & Grill this Saturday. A meet & greet is even offered but I have a hunch if any ticket holder decides to take that route I bet they would be warned NOT to bring up the fire to the band and perhaps others at the club.

http://buffalorose.tunestub.com/show.cfm?id=152755&cart

Oh, good grief! It would be interesting to go just to hear if they played "Desert Moon," but I do not want to see them. I have to admit, I do like their music. I'll listen on youtube, but I just cannot look at Jack Russell. Ok, so you are finding cool chimps and such to stand in your yard and shoot ape feces at Jack Russell. Mammy and friends, since that idea was already taken, maybe I could throw coconuts? I am in Florida. Grapefruit, oranges, lemons.........

Oh, good grief! It would be interesting to go just to hear if they played "Desert Moon," but I do not want to see them. I have to admit, I do like their music. I'll listen on youtube, but I just cannot look at Jack Russell. Ok, so you are finding cool chimps and such to stand in your yard and shoot ape feces at Jack Russell. Mammy and friends, since that idea was already taken, maybe I could throw coconuts? I am in Florida. Grapefruit, oranges, lemons.........
    Whatever you choose will be fine. I was just making suggestions for Mammy. I can actually see her in her front yard with Jack Russell. It would be so funny.

jsnerch Guest
    Hi, guys. I haven't spent any time in the new thread. I thought of you all because I am on vacation in West Warwick. Drove by the Station site the other night and the area is all fenced off in preparation of building the memorial, I presume.

Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    Great White is also playing Golden, Colorado at the Buffalo Rose Bar & Grill this Saturday. A meet & greet is even offered but I have a hunch if any ticket holder decides to take that route I bet they would be warned NOT to bring up the fire to the band and perhaps others at the club.

http://buffalorose.tunestub.com/show.cfm?id=152755&cart
    Yikes.

I'd be standing near the door and the moment Desert Moon came on I'd run out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jsnerch View Post
    Hi, guys. I haven't spent any time in the new thread. I thought of you all because I am on vacation in West Warwick. Drove by the Station site the other night and the area is all fenced off in preparation of building the memorial, I presume.
    Thanks for sharing that. Hopefully you can get us some pics as they construct it.

jsnerch Guest
    Thanks for sharing that. Hopefully you can get us some pics as they construct it.
    I'll try to stop and take some pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by jsnerch View Post
    I'll try to stop and take some pictures.
    Thank you! That would be great.

I was active in the investigation and am still under orders to not discuss certain information but I have enjoyed reading this and the other thread. You all have done a good job putting the names and faces together.

Word I'm hearing locally is the memorial will indeed be done.

Wish I could talk more but I can't.

Thanks again for this very long discussion. That was a terrible night and a very long aftermath.

I don't know if this was discussed but there was a dat tape of one of the victims. It was horrendous to listen to but as an investigator it further expanded our knowledge base. I don't think it will ever be publicly released. I also do aircraft accident investigation and the CVR recordings only fall into public hands when mistakes are made. (i.e. leaving a copy in a desk drawer... yes it happened.)

Is there any one on this board who was actually on-scene?

Rail Dawg - Matthew Pickett had the DAT tape. Quite interesting information about it in "Killer Show." Matthew's former fiancé came onto this forum and told us that she never did hear the tape and she wasn't sure where copies were located. Did you listen to the tape?

Rail Dawg - Matthew Pickett had the DAT tape. Quite interesting information about it in "Killer Show." Matthew's former fiancé came onto this forum and told us that she never did hear the tape and she wasn't sure where copies were located. Did you listen to the tape?

I have to tread carefully but in accident investigation (airlines) we are well-versed in retrieving cockpit voice recorder data. To answer your question... yes. But it was under strict circumstances and only to assist.

There are copies and they would only fall into the public domain through negligence or outright willful misconduct.

I've done investigations for many years and have grown immune to things. Many times you can see first-hand the suffering of many by the look on their faces when they met their violent death. Also when repeatedly listening to tape recordings of accidents you always have that gut feeling that the ending might just change... but it never does.

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Dawg View Post
    I have to tread carefully but in accident investigation (airlines) we are well-versed in retrieving cockpit voice recorder data. To answer your question... yes. But it was under strict circumstances and only to assist.

There are copies and they would only fall into the public domain through negligence or outright willful misconduct.

I've done investigations for many years and have grown immune to things. Many times you can see first-hand the suffering of many by the look on their faces when they met their violent death. Also when repeatedly listening to tape recordings of accidents you always have that gut feeling that the ending might just change... but it never does.
    I definetely will not ask you to break confidentiality, but I just want to express my thanks at your strength. I have my own idea what was on that tape and it is horrifying. I work with homicide survivors, so I understand about seeing and hearing things that you never forget. The only thing that I can think of (and please don't think you have to acknowledge this) is that things may be muffled on the tape because it was underneath him...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    I definetely will not ask you to break confidentiality, but I just want to express my thanks at your strength. I have my own idea what was on that tape and it is horrifying. I work with homicide survivors, so I understand about seeing and hearing things that you never forget. The only thing that I can think of (and please don't think you have to acknowledge this) is that things may be muffled on the tape because it was underneath him...

Miho I appreciate your kind words and the work you do.

I have listened in on many CVR's (Cockpit Voice Recorders) from airplane crashes and it never gets easy especially if you know the pilots. You learn to "hear through" the muffled sounds, clicks, buzzes, screams, etc. to get to what is really going on.

With the Station Fire it's the same thing. You wish you could hear the sound of sprinklers or sudden opening of an exit. But you don't. You simply hear people passing on in the worst way imaginable.

The one lesson in all this is to treat others well and be good to each other. When death comes it is sometimes instant.

That's probably all I'd like to say about the tape. I don't think it will see the light of day but again there are many tapes out there that were supposed to remain confidential.

Soxmeup Guest

A scan of that table doesn't show any wives who escaped through the main door while the husbands died, unless they had different names. Anything is possible. Since you don't hear her continuing to scream, like some others ("Bridget!") I assumed she had found him. I hope so.

I know they vowed never to play the song again, but I found it kinda in poor taste seeing them play it live again when you notice the walls have flames painted on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ed68l4UGPY
    "Death has come to your little town, Sheriff." -Dr. Loomis

That song came on the radio the other day while I was working out, turned that son of a bitch right off.

I hear Great White music from time to time on the radio and I am not sure which station. I only listen to two stations on the weekend because they both play classic rock. I alternate between the two of them. One of the stations is a clear channel station. I have a feeling that is the station that is NOT playing the song.

I heard great White on our local station today of course it was "once Bitten..Twice Shy". I had some free time so I called up the radio station and talked to the disc jockey, told him I was surprised they would play anything by them because of te fire that killed so many. The dj actually got very snippy saying "..ok.. so would you want us to stop playing The Who ?? People were killed at one of their shows back in the 70's !! What about Phil Spector ?? We play his Christmas album during the holidays. Do you want us to stop playing that as well ?? Get a life !!"

I have listened in on many CVR's (Cockpit Voice Recorders) from airplane crashes and it never gets easy especially if you know the pilots. You learn to "hear through" the muffled sounds, clicks, buzzes, screams, etc. to get to what is really going on.

With the Station Fire it's the same thing. You wish you could hear the sound of sprinklers or sudden opening of an exit. But you don't. You simply hear people passing on in the worst way imaginable.

The one lesson in all this is to treat others well and be good to each other. When death comes it is sometimes instant.

That's probably all I'd like to say about the tape. I don't think it will see the light of day but again there are many tapes out there that were supposed to remain confidential.
    Thank you for sharing this with us Rail Dawg. I know you've heard a lot of these kind of tapes, but I'm sure the Pickett tape was haunting to hear.

I agree with others that we don't want to pry, but one thing that people on the forum have speculated is whether the tape picked up any conversations with the bouncers at the stage door as people were being turned away. Pickett was in the general vicinity, so it's possible. Do you recall anything like that being picked up? Thanks.

What really bothers me about the Station tape is how before hand there is a video of everyone having a good time, drinking at the bar, getting ready for the band to take the stage.

When they finally do you see everyone really loving it and putting the band over, I mean look at Nick Oneill in that tape hes just having a blast over in the corner by the speakers. Then quickly it turns to terror as the place goes up. Then as the camera man runs around to the back door to scream for people to come out the back, you can hear muffled screams through the paneling on the side. Yeesh gives me goosebumps just remembering it.

47. 07-31-2014, 07:12 PM

I think without the BB footage, this tragedy would have been long forgotten by now.

Absolutely. I know that Brian Butler has been criticized, but his tape sure was valuable in the investigation.

I have posted a spreadsheet file I made to recreate the PDF file from the hard drive called People Inside Station.pdf. I typed all the names in so we have them in a spreadsheet format, which is much easier to search. For example, sorting with Excel you can isolate just the people who made it out the stage door, or sort all the Station employees together for quick reference.

I saved the file in the Contents Not From Original Hard Drive link on the Google drive. The direct link to the file is here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1F...it?usp=sharing

Using this file I have found a couple of interesting facts so far, and I encourage others to review as well. I found that only two people named Mary were in the Station during the fire, and one did not survive. So the remaining one is Mary Chappell, and she is surely the lady at the end of the Butler video. Her witness statement doesn't say much about her activities after she got out, but again since she is the only Mary who got out this seems to be her. Plus she made it out the main door, which makes sense because she doesn't appear to be injured at all in the video.

As for the lady wailing "where's my husband" I think we can narrow it down to two ladies: Cynthia Nobles or Angela Ochs. Both made it out the front door and per their witness statements, they were indeed separated from their husbands. The husbands were in the bathroom when the fire started. Edward Nobles got trapped in the front doorway before making it out, and Chad Ochs smashed out a window with a bar stool. So this is a happy ending at least: it seems the lady who was so upset in the Butler video was reunited with her husband a few minutes later.

Nice work, dionyzus!