Page 1 of 13 12310 ... LastLast

Thread: Theme Park Deaths and Incidents

SistaSara Guest

Theme Park Deaths and Incidents

Disneyland Deaths

(thing) by lesserevil (1.8 y) (print)
    ? I like it!Fri Jul 20 2001 at 18:38:11
    Since its opening in 1955, eight people have died in Disneyland, seven of which were results of their own neglegence, the other was killed by a faulty ride. Here's the list and a description, courtsey of snopes.com - The Urban Legends Refrence Pages. 1. May, 1964 - Mark Maples, 15, was killed after standing up on one of the bobsleds on Matterhorn Mountain. He unbuckled his seatbelt, and lost his balance when he stood up, cracking his skull and three ribs. He died three days later from internal bleeding.
    2. June, 1966 - Tomas Cleveland, 19, died while trying to sneak into the park. He climbed the parks outer fence, and got onto the monorail track. Had there not been a monorail on the track, his plan would have been fool-proof.
    3. August, 1967 - Ricky Yama, 17, was crushed to death by the People Mover while he jumped off the train in a tunnel. He slipped and went crunch.
    4. June, 1973 - Bogden Delaurot, 18, died while swimming across the Rivers of America after getting drunk on Tom Sawyer Island. His body was found the next day.
    5. June, 1980 - Gerardo Gonzalez died pretty much the same way as Rick Yama died. Gerardo jumped off the People Mover, slipped, was crushed to death. Nobody witnessed this, so his body was dragged behind the People Mover for hundreds of feet until an operator noticed.
    6. June, 1983 - Drunk off his ass, Philip Straughan, 18, stole a motorboat that was parked in a cast-only area. He drove it around a little, smashed into a rock. He was thrown into the water, where he was too inebriated to remember how not to drown.
    7. January, 1984 - Dolly Young, 48, was thrown out of her bobsled on Matterhorn Mountain and got her head and chest pinned under the bobsled behind her. Investigators say that her seatbelt was unbuckled, but since nobody was in the bobsled with her, they could not tell if she jumped deliberately or not.
    8. December, 1998 - I won't make fun of this one because this was not caused by the person's own idiocy. Luan Phi Dawson, 33, was struck by a cleat used to keep the sailing ship Columbia at dock when it was ripped off of the dock by the ship. (a la Men of Honor with Cuba Gooding Jr.) Dawson was declared brain-dead two days later, and died when taked off life support.
    Well, there you have it, a complete list of everybody who has ever died at Disneyland. Wow, that's kinda morbid.
    (thing) by Norman the Wise (2.9 y) (print)
    ? I like it!Sun Feb 01 2004 at 1:33:31
    An additional 2 people have died at the Disneyland Resort.
    9 (should be #5). July, 1974- Deborah Gail, 18 was a Cast Member working as a hostess a little more than a week after Disneyland's refurbished Carousel of Progress theater reopened as America Sings. She was killed when she became caught between a rotating wall and a stationary one. The theater was later redesigned so that these solid walls could breakaway.
    10. September, 2003- Marcelo Torres, 22, of Gardena killed aboard Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. This incident occurred "after the lead car, decorated to resemble a small red engine, and the open-top passenger cars sped through the faux desert landscape and uphill into a tunnel, where the cars separated and the locomotive derailed." Torres bled to death after suffering a blunt force trauma of the chest. Several other guests were injured.

Last edited by SistaSara; 12-12-2007 at 03:50 PM.

ahhh a great topic.

Check this out for more info

hoxharding Guest
    I sometimes think about Disneyand and death. You should see my Disneyland dreams.
    The rides always end in someone's death and the Haunted Mansion contains the souls of the dead who are waiting to devour your soul.
    *They are not fun dreams*

Kathyf Guest
    I have heard many stories over the years. i remember most recent problems with Space Mountain I don't wonder why it is a very rough ride. Sad to die there.

SistaSara Guest
    the People Mover was pretty hard core too as far as deaths went. I still love Disneyland even if it does cost an arm and a leg to get in these days!

Kathyf Guest
    I never saw the people mover.

SistaSara Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    I never saw the people mover.

Peoplemover

Main article: PeopleMover
    • In August 1967, 17-year-old Ricky Lee Yama of Hawthorne, California was killed while jumping between two moving PeopleMover cars as the ride was passing through a tunnel. Yama stumbled and fell onto the track, where an oncoming train of cars crushed him beneath its wheels and dragged his body a few hundred feet before it was stopped by a ride operator. The attraction had only been open for one month at the time.[19]
    • On June 7, 1980, 18-year-old Gerardo Gonzales of San Diego, California was crushed and killed by the PeopleMover while jumping between moving cars. The accident occurred as the ride entered the SuperSpeed tunnel..[20]

Hey Kathy it's this one....

And amazingly enough, Disneyland has been sued in most of those deaths and won most of them! Apparently if the "guest" is at fault for the accident - then they are not responsible and don't have to pay out a lawsuit.

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    wow, that was interesting; thanks for posting.

RoRo Guest
    I've read this before and find it amazing that some people can be so stupid as to try to jump between the people mover cars etc.....the actual accidents are tragic

Maza Guest
    Heres a website that some of yous might be interested in.
    My family love amusement rides, but being a Death Hag that i am, I searched for accidents and found this site

www.rideaccidents.com

SistaSara Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Heres a website that some of yous might be interested in.
    My family love amusement rides, but being a Death Hag that i am, I searched for accidents and found this site

www.rideaccidents.com
    ahhh...makes me wanna stay home.

knothere Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SistaSara View Post
    the People Mover was pretty hard core too as far as deaths went. I still love Disneyland even if it does cost an arm and a leg to get in these days!
    and to get out lol

SistaSara Guest
    A 63-year-old woman was arrested Sunday after sheriff's deputies said she tried to enter Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom theme park with a loaded gun, some scissors and a knife. Security workers said they discovered a .32-caliber semi-automatic handgun on Mary Ann Richardson, of Pennsylvania, during a routine safety check at a theme park entrance gate.
    Walt Disney World security notified the Orange County Sheriff's Office and officer confiscated the gun and arrested the Richardson. Officers said the gun was loaded with seven live rounds in the magazine. The woman was also in possession of a pair of scissors and a locked blade knife. Richardson told officers that she traveled with the gun and had forgotten it was in her purse, according to an Orange County sheriff's report. An investigation into the incident continues. Stringent security measures have been in place at all Central Florida theme parks since Sept. 11, the report said. Richardson was charged with possession of a concealed weapon. Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

WendyK Guest
    Let's go To Didney Land! j/k of cousre...

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    I have heard many stories over the years. i remember most recent problems with Space Mountain I don't wonder why it is a very rough ride. Sad to die there.
    Actually Kathy I can't think of a better place to kick the bucket, at least I'd probably have a big mouse-smile on my face !!!

GrinReaper Guest
    I'm waiting for someone to die in the haunted mansion so that they can come back and haunt the mansion!

Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post
    I'm waiting for someone to die in the haunted mansion so that they can come back and haunt the mansion!
    Actually there is a story that it is (really) haunted already!

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    I have heard a few stories about the Pirates of the Carribean Ride at WDW being haunted by a former worker who apparently died there. Not sure of the validity of it though.

bluebear71 Guest
    Would it really be any fun if there was'nt at least SOME chance of death?

poppie Guest
    The Disneyland death list if not complete. I worked with a woman who had a young son - about 5 or so, died after falling from a Disney ride. She would not talk about it, but about a month later, she was driving a top of the line Caddy.

tensecondstolove Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Actually there is a story that it is (really) haunted already!
    Yeah one year when I was there a little girl got scared on the ride and jumped out. She got caught in the tracks and died. Makes the ride even creepier now!

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SistaSara View Post
    Disneyland Deaths

5. June, 1980 - Gerardo Gonzalez died pretty much the same way as Rick Yama died. Gerardo jumped off the People Mover, slipped, was crushed to death. Nobody witnessed this, so his body was dragged behind the People Mover for hundreds of feet until an operator noticed.

I was there about 2 months after this happened. I was 10 at the time and, upon hearing about it, was scared to go on a few rides. Ruined it for me, actually!!!

Bigfoot Guest
    Actuall, I'm more than sure that every single amusement park in the world has had at leas 1 death.

deathybrad Guest
    This kinda of info is exactly why I hang out with you guys.

Dylgem22 Guest

Deaths at Disney Theme Parks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incidents_at_Disney_parks and

http://tafkac.org/death/disney_deaths.html

Hey guys .. I was looking up some stuff about Disney and came across some webpages that listed all the incidents that have happened at all the theme parks .. I just thought this was interesting reading and also, when I searched here, I couldn't find a specific thread for this topic, so please merge me if needed!

The one case that really gets me the most is about Deborah Gail Stone, the 18 year old worker who was crushed to death in the "America Sings" exhibit (which is similar to the Carousel of Progress currently at Disney World). Such a sad story!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America_Sings

Anyways, just thought I would add this thread to see what you guys thought!

RaRaRamona Guest
    Carnivals scare the snot out of me.

Dylgem22 Guest
    I know what you mean! If I even ride on a carnival ride, I am sitting there the whole time inspecting the bolts, etc .. making sure I don't see any loose ones!! LOL

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I keep track of those because I live nearby. The one with the 80-year old guy with the heart condition dying on Space Mountain. Who in their right mind at 80 with a heart condition goes on Space Mountain? There have been some strange drop deads after Rockin' RollerCoaster, that I can't understand because it's pretty tame.
    Two of my friends went on the spaceship mission thing at Epcot and told me they thought they were going to die, so I have stayed away from that one.

I also rode the Mission Space or (whatever exactly it is called) ride at Epcot and it is really hard on you. I thought I was going to have a heart attack, and I'm only 34! I'm not in horrible shape either. I work out, but have some medical problems. I thought I was just going to die. It was the strangest feeling of pressure on your chest and head, dizziness and need to escape. Absolutely horrible so I would not be surprised if someone died on it. I would never let my parents get on it.They do warn you at the beginning of the ride.
    Last edited by okidoll; 03-20-2008 at 02:39 PM.

unihikid Guest
    well at least they died at "the happiest place on earth"?(picture ron burgondy saying it)

cherryghost Guest
    We are trying to stop a Disney Erection here in Sydney!
    The is something macarbe about contructs called Fun Parks, there is always some sinister undercurrent.

SinKittyVixen Guest
    Great read. So sad tho!! I love amusement parks, but also soo weary of them..
    ~SKV

Quote Originally Posted by okidoll View Post
    I also rode the Mission Space or (whatever exactly it is called) ride at Epcot and it is really hard on you. I thought I was going to have a heart attack, and I'm only 34! I'm not in horrible shape either. I work out, but have some medical problems. I thought I was just going to die. It was the strangest feeling of pressure on your chest and head, dizziness and need to escape. Absolutely horrible so I would not be surprised if someone died on it. I would never let my parents get on it.They do warn you at the beginning of the ride.
    Thanks for that info; I'll stay off of that one.

Congrats on your first post; okidoll; and welcome to FAD!

Quote Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
    well at least they died at "the happiest place on earth"?(picture ron burgondy saying it)

malaki Guest
    very interesting to say the least..I loved Disney World, but I was pregnant at the time and could only go on the mellow rides like King Kong and Jaws, but my husband & sister hit the Rock & Roller coaster themed Aerosmith ???? I believe it was then anyway (2000) their music was jamming the whole time, Anyway it was a blast, I'd love to take my daughter...

djdeath-hag Guest
    My ex used to be a "cast member" (even folks who work in their call centers are called this AND have a "stage name"....which cannot be that of ANY other call center cast members names OR be the name of any character used in any Disney film/story line) He told me that no one is EVER allowed to be officially pronounced dead on any Disney property.

Flowergrrl Guest
    I've read 3 of the stories and so far, the victim was at fault for the accident.

Ugh... Make that 5 now. So far I've only seen where one person was actually an innocent victim.

It would be fine to say it's the park's fault but, when you stand up and switch seats you're asking for trouble. This post scared me at first but, now that I've read most of it... I feel a lot easier about it. Amusement parks are supposed to be fun, a lot of people go to them. There are potential dangers everywhere you go.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratgrrl View Post
    I've read 3 of the stories and so far, the victim was at fault for the accident.

Ugh... Make that 5 now. So far I've only seen where one person was actually an innocent victim.

It would be fine to say it's the park's fault but, when you stand up and switch seats you're asking for trouble. This post scared me at first but, now that I've read most of it... I feel a lot easier about it. Amusement parks are supposed to be fun, a lot of people go to them. There are potential dangers everywhere you go.
    Yes, I agree. Except Carnivals. I just can't trust the sturdiness of an aluminum ride assembled by a drunk cantankerous carny in 10-15 minutes flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Actuall, I'm more than sure that every single amusement park in the world has had at leas 1 death.
    I was working at Great Adventure in 1984 when the Haunted Castle burned down. That was one scary day.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...ldid=195831180

After that incident, people would come to the park and flash lighters at us and giggle. Dickheads.

[edit] Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

On September 22, 2000, 4-year-old Brandon Zucker fell out of the ride vehicle and suffered severe brain damage.[29]. On October 7, 2000, Disneyland changed its 911 emergency policy, instructing ride operators to call 911 for emergencies first instead of calling the Disney security center in order to speed emergency staff to any incident on park property. Records showed that more than five minutes passed between the time Zucker fell out of the ride vehicle and emergency personnel were contacted. A Disney spokesman claimed that the timing of this policy change and the Zucker incident were coincidental.[10]

why not just call one of the olsen twins instead of calling 911?! sheesh.

mommafreak Guest
    I love Disneyland and I still think it's the "Happiest Place On Earth". It's common sense to stay seated in your seat with your belt on. Please keep your hands and feet in the ride at all times.......... that's pretty much said for a reason. People are just plum crazy.

Dylgem22 Guest
    Oops !! I am glad someone merged this thread! I swear nothing popped up when I searched, but I was amazed no one else had anything to say about this topic! I was wrong!

Anyways, after reading some of those stories about Disney, it appears that the majority of the accidents were caused by the person themselves, being dumb .. like trying to jump from cart to cart, or swimming, etc .. or standing up! The sad ones are the ones where the ride is actually at fault by coming apart, or something ..

I dont think the rides where people have died because of health issues are dangerous at all! Its unfortunate that people have to die while having fun, or maybe they aren't having fun since they are dying .. not funny, but kind of .. anyways, like someone said above, they died at "The Happiest Place on Earth" !! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    My ex used to be a "cast member" (even folks who work in their call centers are called this AND have a "stage name"....which cannot be that of ANY other call center cast members names OR be the name of any character used in any Disney film/story line) He told me that no one is EVER allowed to be officially pronounced dead on any Disney property.

I remember years ago that the Disney company would always claim that no one ever died at Disneyland. That was because of what you said Dennis. The company would not allow responding medical personnel to pronounce any victims dead on the property. Therefore they were pronounced at the hospital so that Disney's record was unblemished. Even though they died of injuries sustained in the park Disney could claim they died at the hospital. Now a days paramedics have broader range of situations where they can pronounce death so The Disney Company can no longer get away with this.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OBX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    And amazingly enough, Disneyland has been sued in most of those deaths and won most of them! Apparently if the "guest" is at fault for the accident - then they are not responsible and don't have to pay out a lawsuit.
    Why Disney wins:

1) Disney personnel are taught to ask the alleged victim what happened immediately and then as soon as the person is taken to the hospital, the personnel are told to go off shift. They then write reports of what was said. Most people that are hurt, usually feel stupid for having been hurt. They will say stuff like, I am okay or it was my fault etc... Then later when they think about it, they may have a change of heart and sue. But then Disney has all of these workers come forward at trial with written reports and testify that the person "said it was their fault" and that "they were stupid".

2.) This is one reason that security was called first. It was so Disney could control the scene. I didn't know about not letting them declare a person DOA at Disney, but I did know that the security isolated the person from anyone that might have a different opinion on what happened.

3.) Disney has really gone to great lengths to cultivate their image in the Orlando area and these are the jury members. There is a tendency to be on Disney's side as a trial starts. I am not sure, but somehow all of the suits have to be tried in Orlando and that has really helped Disney.

4.) Finally, from me at least, witnesses are from different states and different countries. The victim was isolated and so a witness might say something to a Disney worker, but it wouldn't go beyond that. Almost impossible for a victim's lawyer to later find a witness that wasn't a Disney employee. And from the witness' point of view, how would they find the information on who the victim was and where to find them. And do all of that while they are on vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by OBX View Post
    Why Disney wins:

1) Disney personnel are taught to ask the alleged victim what happened immediately and then as soon as the person is taken to the hospital, the personnel are told to go off shift. They then write reports of what was said. Most people that are hurt, usually feel stupid for having been hurt. They will say stuff like, I am okay or it was my fault etc... Then later when they think about it, they may have a change of heart and sue. But then Disney has all of these workers come forward at trial with written reports and testify that the person "said it was their fault" and that "they were stupid".

2.) This is one reason that security was called first. It was so Disney could control the scene. I didn't know about not letting them declare a person DOA at Disney, but I did know that the security isolated the person from anyone that might have a different opinion on what happened.

3.) Disney has really gone to great lengths to cultivate their image in the Orlando area and these are the jury members. There is a tendency to be on Disney's side as a trial starts. I am not sure, but somehow all of the suits have to be tried in Orlando and that has really helped Disney.

4.) Finally, from me at least, witnesses are from different states and different countries. The victim was isolated and so a witness might say something to a Disney worker, but it wouldn't go beyond that. Almost impossible for a victim's lawyer to later find a witness that wasn't a Disney employee. And from the witness' point of view, how would they find the information on who the victim was and where to find them. And do all of that while they are on vacation.
    Very enlightening.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

squirellygirl Guest
    An employee was killed at WDW about a week or so ago on the Triceratop Spin ride at Animal Kingdom. I guess the way the ride comes to a stop at the end was a little rough(?) and it knocked into her and killed her. They said they are going to change the ride so I guess they are admitting guilt on that one.

In the 90s my friend went to WDW and one of her stupid friends was jumping in between the cars on Haunted Mansion. She fell and basically got her face ripped off when the ride dragged her along the track. At least she lived though!

OBX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by squirellygirl View Post
    In the 90s my friend went to WDW and one of her stupid friends was jumping in between the cars on Haunted Mansion. She fell and basically got her face ripped off when the ride dragged her along the track. At least she lived though!
    Oh good, the faceless girl lived. ewwwwww and that is just for a lifetime of plastic surgery. I don't even want to go to what she looks like.

squirellygirl Guest
    LOL-when my friend told me the story, I had very little sympathy for the faceless girl!