Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My High School History teacher and his wife

My High School History teacher and his wife

My high school teacher Gary Tyrrell, and his wife, Jan Tyrrell, were murdered either Wed or Thursday, He was also my mom's history teacher in high school and in college. The investigation is still open.

http://www.ky3.com/news/local/police-investigating-the-deaths-of-couple-in-south-springfield-home/21048998_25776484

http://www.news-leader.com/story/new...icide/8613855/
    http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/...72/252/177573/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Story.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	50618
    Last edited by pkstracy; 05-13-2014 at 10:18 AM.

lovemymonkey Guest
    Oh how sad I hope they find the person that killed them.

I hope so too. When I lived in Springfield, they house they were killed at was two blocks from my apartment. I used to walk by their house when I would walk the dog and he and I would talk. They aren't releasing much information other than they have ruled out a murder suicide. They lost a son back in the 90s I think or early 2000s. He was very young the son that is.

Still no leads and the police aren't releasing any details.

Please edit their names into your first post so they come up in the search, Tracy.

I had something like this happen to a grade school friend of mine and her dad. Killed in cold blood by druggies who had the wrong house when they were looking for drug dealers. So sad. The murderers were caught and are spending the rest of their lives behind bars.

I hadn't seen my grade school friend in years as I lived out of state when it happened. When I read about it in the paper at the time I was disgusted. Then I recalled fond memories of being over at her house playing and watching our favorite shows together. That made me feel better. So did the apprehension of the criminals and their life sentences later. Didn't take long to find them. Druggies are pretty sloppy when it comes to cleaning up forensic evidence.

Done , Sorry to hear about your grade school friend, Somechick. I don't think it was druggies that killed Mr. and Mrs. Tyrrell, he had a lot of gold and gems and artifacts in his house, he would buy, sell, or trade, a lot of people in Springfield, feel that was the motive for the crime.

Thanks Tracy.

Hopefully they'll be caught. Times are tough for lots of people but murder and thievery are not the answer.

I agree, and You're welcome.

Still no updates.

THank GOD they got who did it, it was Mr. Porter, ex superintendent of schools, He went over there to ask Gary and Jan for 150,000 as in was in the process of loosing his house, Gary wouldn't give it to him, either because he didn't have it, or knew he wouldn't get paid back, Mr. Porter, proceeded to try to get Gary to open the safe, when he didn't comply, Mr. Porter, shot Gary in the head and then Killed Jan, I am partly in shock as I knew Mr. Porter as well, and He, Gary and Jan were friends, He was caught, because a glove he left at the scene contained DNA evidence that matched a coffee cup that he discarded, I am assuming in the house.

http://www.ky3.com/news/local/former...48998_27510630

ozzysmom Guest
    Holy cow! I'm glad he was captured. I'm sorry for your loss, pkstracy. I have a few teachers that I remember fondly from school. This is so sad

Thanks OM,as I said he was my second dad, my mentor and I am still taking it hard that he is gone.

1karenhb Guest
    So glad the murderer was caught. Wouldn't have thought it was someone they knew.

MissZoot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    THank GOD they got who did it, it was Mr. Porter, ex superintendent of schools, He went over there to ask Gary and Jan for 150,000 as in was in the process of loosing his house, Gary wouldn't give it to him, either because he didn't have it, or knew he wouldn't get paid back, Mr. Porter, proceeded to try to get Gary to open the safe, when he didn't comply, Mr. Porter, shot Gary in the head and then Killed Jan, I am partly in shock as I knew Mr. Porter as well, and He, Gary and Jan were friends, He was caught, because a glove he left at the scene contained DNA evidence that matched a coffee cup that he discarded, I am assuming in the house.

http://www.ky3.com/news/local/former...48998_27510630
    If that were a plot of a Hollywood movie, it would be considered too unbelievable. I'm glad they caught him.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    Glad they caught the SOB. Two good people dead and one so-called person's life ruined over literally nothing.

It's always the superintendents you have to worry about.

Seriously, glad they got him...

Thanks Everyone, a friend of my dad told me about it as he knows the woman, whose son is the lead investigator on the case.

So glad there is some closure to this tragedy. Off with his head.

I'm glad they caught the guy, but what a shock that it turned out to be a friend ! How very sad.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    So glad there is some closure to this tragedy. Off with his head.
    Both heads!!!

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    Both heads!!!
    Sounds like a plan.

And not a bad one either !

Yep I agree, both heads, what is so Sad about all this not just that they are dead, but their daughter is getting married in Oct, she and her mom were looking at wedding dresses the day before the murder.

Glad they finally caught they guy!!

Quote Originally Posted by *sarah* View Post
    Glad they finally caught they guy!!
    That IS good news!

Some court documents that were unsealed a few days ago, Mark Porter, hit Jan over the head with a rare walrus tusk, that is what killed her.

https://www.greenecountymo.org/pa/file/08-15-14.pdf

A man from Ozark likely will remain in the Greene County jail until at least Oct. 22, when a judge will hear evidence about the murderd of a couple in their home in Springfield. Mark Porter is charged with two counts of first-degree murder, but his defense attorney wants a judge to set a "reasonable bond" while he awaits trial. The judge also approved a motion by Porter's attorney for him to receive a mental exam while he is in the Greene County jail. Prosecutors agreed to the exam with the provision that the results of the exam can't be used as evidence that Porter can't understand the charges against him or that he wouldn't be fit to stand trial because of a "mental disease or defect."
    http://www.ky3.com/news/local/defens...48998_27897390 He knew what he was doing when he went over there he flew into a rage because they would not loan him the money, they helped him out so many times, and Mr. Porter kept on gambling and loosing. He deserves the harshest punishment possible.

Yep I agree, both heads, what is so Sad about all this not just that they are dead, but their daughter is getting married in Oct, she and her mom were looking at wedding dresses the day before the murder.
    Oh man, that's rough. Glad the perp was caught. Oh crap, Cali doesn't have the death option do they.

This is in Springfield Missouri, where I moved to California from.

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) – A suspect in the deaths of a Springfield couple will undergo a mental examination but will stay in the Greene County jail with no bond.
    Mark Porter, of Ozark, is charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the May deaths of Jan and Gary Tyrrell in their home.

http://fox2now.com/2014/09/05/suspec...r-denied-bond/

I know not many people care or will read this but thank God,

The family of a slain Springfield couple wept at hearing how the two died but applauded when a judge ordered the man accused of murder held without bond.
    Mark Edward Porter, 53, who is accused of murdering Gary and Jan Tyrrell in April, waived his right to a preliminary hearing Wednesday and will have his case move toward trial.
    http://www.news-leader.com/story/new...ring/17714895/
    I hope he gets life.

Seagorath Guest
    Sounds like the Porter guy is a pretty sick fuck...and his life obviously revolved around money. Happy they got the DNA match.

I hate this happened to your friend. I hope he and his wife are in a special place now. Safe.

That's great news. Thank you for keeping us updated!!

Sea, yes he is, I would have never believed he could do something like that. When I knew him he was out going, friendly, interacted with the students. Just makes me sick to think he did that to two wonderful people. Thanks Find, I';ll try to, I wish I could be at the trial but I am like 1500 miles away.

I'm glad you are keeping us updated. What a horrible waste of two wonderful people. Sorry for your loss
    I told my lawyer he's better step it up or we would both end up on an episode of "SNAPPED"

Mammy Guest
    It's horrible no matter what the reason is for murder, but killing two people just to be able to steal their valuables is just sickening, especially since he was considered to be a friend at one time. It proves that we never really know anyone deep down. I'm glad he was caught and is behind bars. How sad for their daughter to lose both parents at the same time in a brutally violent way. I'm sorry for you, too, Tracy, because I know you cared about them. I hope they get justice.

Sea, yes he is, I would have never believed he could do something like that. When I knew him he was out going, friendly, interacted with the students. Just makes me sick to think he did that to two wonderful people. Thanks Find, I';ll try to, I wish I could be at the trial but I am like 1500 miles away.
    I was a high school teacher before I started mortuary school. I know I touched some lives and that makes me so proud. I still have former students who are now adults who call to check on me and tell me they miss me. It is such a great feeling. I'm glad this teacher made an impact on you. Although you are far away, they know you are there in spirit and that you care. That is all that really counts. I agree with Mammy and hope they get justice. When they do and you report it back here, we can celebrate!
    ETA: Celebrate in a death hag sort of way. I didn't mean that as in we are celebrating the murder. Hope that makes some sense.

Of course it makes sense Find, I have a memorial stone in my little garden with a water fountain and a windchime, I just put a stone bench out there, and I sit there almost every day and "Chat" with them and reflect, I got it for my Grandpa, and Mr and Mrs Tyrrell. Thank you Mammy.

Of course it makes sense Find, I have a memorial stone in my little garden with a water fountain and a windchime, I just put a stone bench out there, and I sit there almost every day and "Chat" with them and reflect, I got it for my Grandpa, and Mr and Mrs Tyrrell. Thank you Mammy.
    What a great way to memorialize them. Show us a pic!

Mark Porter was denied bond again, thank God

A man accused of killing a Springfield couple in their home earlier this year has been ordered, for the second time, to remain in jail without bond.
    Mark Porter, 54, who is accused of killing Gary and Jan Tyrrell in their home following what police say was an attempt by Porter to get a $250,000 loan from the Tyrrells to cover gambling debts, has been in jail since Aug. 15.
    Judge Dan Conklin on Friday denied Porter's request to have a bond set, siting Missouri's constitution, which says bail is guaranteed "except for capital offenses, when the proof is evident or the presumption great."
    http://www.news-leader.com/story/new...uple/20764389/

Also the company that Mark Edward Porter sold the coins to is filing a lien

A civil procedure called a lien has now become part of the murder case against Mark Porter because silver coins have become part of what police are calling evidence.
    The owner of a Springfield coin company has filed the lien because he says he turned over almost $20,000 in silver coins to the Springfield police department.
    The lien says the coins have a face value of $1,321.10, but are actually worth much more because they contain 90 percent silver and "have a reasonable fair market value as of today's date of $18,537.27."
    http://www.news-leader.com/story/news/crime/2014/09/23/company-files-lien-silver-coins-murder-case/16095959/

More details about the case

http://www.news-leader.com/story/new...mily/20157083/
    Last edited by pkstracy; 01-07-2015 at 10:40 AM.

The trial starts next month. Can't believe it will be a year soon. Also heard and read that Mark Porter, the man who killed Mr. and Mrs. Tyrrell, his lawyer is removing himself as Porter's lawyer.

One of Springfield's most high-profile criminal defense attorneys will likely soon drop one of the region's biggest murder cases.
    Attorney Dee Wampler filed a motion Monday to withdraw as council for Mark E. Porter, 54, who is accused of killing Gary and Jan Tyrrell.
    http://www.news-leader.com/story/new...ying/25765805/

My Aunt told me that from what she has heard the trial will be broadcast live, I hope they stream it via internet as I cannot be there in person.

Here is the ass hat that killed them. I hope he gets that max, or death.
    Last edited by pkstracy; 04-23-2015 at 10:45 AM.

One year ago today..Miss you both each day, miss talking to you Mr. Tyrrell.

As of April the trial has been delayed. due to the fact the judge stepped away from the case and Mark Porter's attorney dropped Porter as a client.
    I just want this to get over with. I am still angry and upset. Though he wasn't my biological dad, he was still my dad, my second dad, Mr. Tyrrell that is. I want Mr. Porter to get the death penalty and according to Missouri law that is what they will be going for in this case.

http://www.news-leader.com/story/new...case/26329085/

I can't imagine what you are going through
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

It's finally over, he plead guilty only if they dropped it to second degree murder, he was given two life sentences
    A man from Ozark pleaded guilty to two counts of second-degree murder for the deaths of Gary and Jan Tyrrell of Springfield. Prosecutors agreed to drop the charges of first-degree murder against Mark Porter in return for the guilty pleas on Wednesday afternoon in a Greene County courtroom.Porter, 54, received two consecutive life sentences. He will not be eligible for parole until he is at least 82 years old,
    http://www.ky3.com/news/local/mark-porter-enters-guilty-plea-in-deaths-of-jan-and-gary-tyrrell/21048998_34932654

Bump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQFRKoa2ds8 Their Dateline episode, I lived two blocks away from their house, when I lived in Springfield.
    Last edited by pkstracy; 03-11-2016 at 02:40 PM.

This is an amazing story, unbelievable what Porter did to the Tyrrells! This isn't something you would ever expect to hear about, but a gambling addiction, like any other will lead people to do things one would never expect. I can't imagine the shock and grief you've experienced over this pk, I hope he is on the receiving end of some serious prison justice! I can't wait for my sweetie and I to set down and watch this Dateline episode, we are big ID fans...
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

Last edited by pkstracy; 03-12-2016 at 01:48 PM.

Just unreal! Usually when someone achieves the success that this maggot had, they usually do whatever is necessary to maintain that success, not engage in the high risk behavior he did. I think he was arrogant enough to believe he could get away with it, which thankfully he didn't. I'm from San Diego btw, saw them build the Coronado bridge!
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!