Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jahi mcmath

A financial perspective of both sides, which obviously has an impact on whatever ultimately happens:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mari-f...b_4645768.html

The hospital would have been the big winner if Jahi had been allowed to complete the death process while in California. Her family still hopes for a MUCH better deal if they can force her to survive.

While the family certainly has a legal right to with-hold announcing their daughter's final death for as long as possible, IMO, once ANYONE uses the media as they have, making a public outcry and seeking support for maintaining the child AND a big lawsuit, then they should have no reasonable expectation of secrecy over her ultimate end. Someone will have to file a death certificate, someone will have to handle the remains, Jahi's "estate" will have to be probated. These are all matters of public record; SOMEONE will ferret them out.

Given situations and decisions like this occur every day and seldom make the news, one can safely assume MOST ordinary grieving families do not behave as Jahi's family has. Most of us apparently have lost loved ones to untimely deaths, though not everyone has had to make this terrible decision. However, these people have indiscreetly flown their lawsuit flag from the very first day. They have NOT addressed the REAL reason this unfortunate young lady needed this dangerous procedure, nor answered questions about whether ANYTHING they did while visiting Jahi MAY have contributed to her "twilight of demise." Perhaps they will HAVE to answer these questions during a lawsuit, and THAT might be the most useful outcome of legal proceedings.

Lisa, I would add my sympathy to others on the loss of your father...
    While this was not in question when my father died, this COULD have been an issue when my late brother initially survived after his accident. He would have been a quadriplegic vegetable, if the autopsy (from what I remember) is to be believed. However much we would have wished the life support to be continued at least until our parents could get down South to the hospital, I can see there MIGHT have been a similar conflict between my parents and my in-laws when the decision had to be made. I think nature actually DID so, but it could have been forced for a while.
    Last edited by Linnie; 01-24-2014 at 07:48 PM.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    A financial perspective of both sides, which obviously has an impact on whatever ultimately happens:

The hospital would have been the big winner if Jahi had been allowed to complete the death process while in California. Her family still hopes for a MUCH better deal if they can force her to survive.

While the family certainly has a legal right to with-hold announcing their daughter's final death for as long as possible, IMO, once ANYONE uses the media as they have, making a public outcry and seeking support for maintaining the child AND a big lawsuit, then they should have no reasonable expectation of secrecy over her ultimate end. Someone will have to file a death certificate, someone will have to handle the remains, Jahi's "estate" will have to be probated. These are all matters of public record; SOMEONE will ferret them out.

Given situations and decisions like this occur every day and seldom make the news, one can safely assume MOST ordinary grieving families do not behave as Jahi's family has. Most of us apparently have lost loved ones to untimely deaths, though not everyone has had to make this terrible decision. However, these people have indiscreetly flown their lawsuit flag from the very first day. They have NOT addressed the REAL reason this unfortunate young lady needed this dangerous procedure, nor answered questions about whether ANYTHING they did while visiting Jahi MAY have contributed to her "twilight of demise." Perhaps they will HAVE to answer these questions during a lawsuit, and THAT might be the most useful outcome of legal proceedings.

Lisa, I would add my sympathy to others on the loss of your father...
    While this was not in question when my father died, this COULD have been an issue when my late brother initially survived after his accident. He would have been a quadriplegic vegetable, if the autopsy (from what I remember) is to be believed. However much we would have wished the life support to be continued at least until our parents could get down South to the hospital, I can see there MIGHT have been a similar conflict between my parents and my in-laws when the decision had to be made. I think nature actually DID so, but it could have been forced for a while.
    Thank you for your condolences, mine to you as well.

I am unsure as to why you would call a tonsillectomy a "dangerous" procedure. It is, in fact a common procedure performed thousands of times a day, especially in children. I myself had one two years ago.

Regarding the death certificate, that is not public information. Her death would be classified as a natural death (anoxic brain injury). Natural deaths are not a matter of public information. Probate is not a legal requirement, and few do it unless an estate is worth over a certain amount (varies by the state - here in MN it is 50k). Funeral arrangements are not public information either and an obit is not required.

So if and when she passes away - no one has the right to such information. Unless it is for pure death fascination (which of course is another story).
    Last edited by lisalouver; 01-25-2014 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Add information

Well said!!!! This whole situation has gotten me touchy at times. I lost my mom almost two years ago due to alcoholism and ms and a few months later my brother committed suicide and me and my dad made the painful decision to donate his organs...and it was his kidneys that were a perfect match for our cousin. I know it's a painful and personal decision and before then I was not a doner on my licences. My heart bleeds for this gal. As a mom of a 7 year old little girl, I truly feel for this family. It hurts to think about the pain they are going through.
    It's hard to ride at night...on your bicycle with no lights to guide...just take a chance and ride. Olson and Louris

There was much more than just a tonsillectomy.
    This summary comes from Wikipedia, but it states pretty much what I read elsewhere (One would guess that the whole entry was pasted from a real article about the case.).

According to court documents,[7] McMath was admitted to Children's Hospital Oakland on December 9, 2013 to perform three procedures:

It was hoped these procedures would provide improved airflow during her sleep at night.

The girl's problem were related to apnea and breathing, due (mainly) to her weight, not just tonsil problems per se. Some of the stories claim Jahi was pre-diabetic or diabetic. If the family (many of whom share some of these attributes) had been able to get Jahi to lose some of the weight, she might not have needed any surgery, or perhaps not as extensive. The family may not have been well-informed, or did not understand, the possible consequences before consenting to the procedures.

It would also appear that they did not receive proper counseling or time to accept the situation when it seemed clear that Jahi was really gone, and some of the relatives, suddenly seeing the prospect of profit, influenced the mother who was in shock and sincerely grieving. She was ready to blame the doctors, the hospital, which is completely understandable, and perhaps, not without some reason (once one gets past the rumors of the post-op hamburger and amateur suction job by the grandmother.)

I knew of a mother, friend of my co-workers, whose healthy 30-yr-old son died from a stupid accident after a sinus procedure-- the story went that he was left unattended and the gauze asphyxiated him. I was told that she screamed accusations at the doctor and nurses, right in the hospital hallway, for everyone to hear. (Maybe there was a lawsuit or a settlement there, too, but nobody talked about it afterward.)

I would not begrudge Naila Winkfield the maximum capped award prescribed by California law, IF the hospital can be proven to have made fatal mistakes. Up to $250K seems reasonable, given that if Jahi was permitted to expire at the time of the original incident, there would not have been aftercare to pay for. The hospital would have appeared generous and avoided bad publicity.

Keeping Jahi barely functional and advertising that they hope for millions, however, makes her family look really greedy and would make the hospital more defensive than it is already. The goal should be to find out what really went wrong and how to prevent such an outcome in the future. (I typed that last statement while reminding myself how unrealistic THAT reasonable desire is in this world.)

Poor Jahi, she was so frightened of the whole business, and one can imagine her last thoughts when the bleeding started, just before her lights went out forever, after the initial relief that she had survived "the worst" and woke up for a while.

I wonder what's happening to her now.
    Last edited by Linnie; 01-29-2014 at 07:18 PM.

IF someone else has posted this, I apologize:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/hea...-1226812099156

Sgt. Pepper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenivere2011 View Post

You have got to be kidding me! This story gets more and more inane every day....

Interesting link:
    The Concept of Brain Death and the Tragic Cases of Marlise Munoz and Jahi McMath

Posted on January 26, 2014 by rabbott
    Historically, death has been a very simple and intuitive thing to understand – it occurs when someone stops breathing and their heart stops. Visually, it is a dramatic change that anyone can comprehend. However, we now live in an age where machines can keep people breathing, and their hearts beating, when they would otherwise die. These medical advances have been revolutionary, and they are vital to allowing living patients to recover after severe illness or injury. On the other hand, they can make it more difficult for people to accept and understand death, because it can make dead patients “appear” alive. Brain death refers to the irrevocable loss of all functions of the brain, including the brainsteam. Someone with brain death is just as dead as someone who has stopped breathing and whose heart has stopped. Doctors confirm brain death through a neurological examination, and once diagnosed the patient is dead. That person will never have any brain functioning and will never return to life or “wake up.” That, of course, is a difficult concept to explain to people without medical training, and who don’t understand how the brain and body work. To family members, a loved one with brain death on life support has some of the features they associate with being alive. For example, a video now circulating online that purports to show Jahi McMath responding to stimulation may simply demonstrate that some reflexes may persist after brain death, such as a Babinski’s reflex that causes the big toe to move upward while the other toes fan out in response to the sole of the foot being firmly stroked. Grieving family members are, understandably, sometimes unable to accept a diagnosis of brain death. However, as a physician and scientist, I can tell you that there is no murkiness in the concept of brain death. If there is something being learned from these tragic cases, it is that medical professionals sometimes do a poor job with public education and outreach. The scientific community, the media, and politicians should speak with a united voice to explain that when someone is brain dead, there is no hope of them returning to life. Alas, end-of-life issues are not discussed nearly enough, and worst, even when they are some politicians have provided misinformation for political reasons or due to ignorance. Brain death is universally considered death by the medical profession. However, the issue is not treated uniformly by state laws. Most states have adopted a model law, the Uniform Determination of Death Act (UDDA), which states, “An individual who has sustained either (1) irreversible cessation of circulatory and respiratory functions, or (2) irreversible cessation of all functions of the entire brain, including the brain stem, is dead. A determination of death must be made in accordance with accepted medical standards.” California and Texas have both adopted definitions consistent with the UDDA, as should all states. Universal adoption of the UDDA would be helpful for improving public understanding of death. As to who decides whether life support should be provided to a brain dead patient, both California and Texas permit physicians to withdraw life support from dead patients, and legally protect doctors from doing so when death has been properly diagnosed. It doesn’t benefit anyone for brain dead patients to be kept on life support indefinitely – not the patients, the families, or society. It should also be recognized that we have limited medical resources, and that the medical care going toward a patient who is already dead could be used to benefit someone with desperate need. This post is part of The Union-Mt.Sinai Bioethics Program’s Online Symposium on the Munoz and McMath cases.

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/billofh...d-jahi-mcmath/

weirdgurl Guest
    Okay, I feel stupid asking this but why is she decomposing when other people on life support don't? Is it because of the brain stem not functioning? Is that what keeps your organs 'alive' when you are brain dead? I have tried looking this up online but I'm still confused I think...
    Is that why there is such a short window of time to harvest organs for donation after a donor has died?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenivere2011 View Post

In the comments on another website, a lot of people were commenting on how "black" her toes were looking in the video. Plus, when was this filmed? It never said. For all we know, this was after the surgery. And why don't they show her face?

RebelRocker Guest
    before she was removed from the hospital it was rumored they had video of jahi responding to her mom. so im thinking this is the video people were talking about. so this happened at oaklands children hospital if its correct. but i could be wrong.

as for the video, it looks like a reflex. she didnt actually move her foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    In the comments on another website, a lot of people were commenting on how "black" her toes were looking in the video. Plus, when was this filmed? It never said. For all we know, this was after the surgery. And why don't they show her face?
    TO be honest with you, this could be ANYBODY claiming it was Jahi. I agree, I believe it was nothing more than reflexes. I read that the body can have muscular movement, even when brain dead.

And why don't they show her face?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Face-Melt-600x266.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	49780

Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post

Man am I ever going to hell for laughing so hard at that!

/aisle seat, please.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)

Sgt. Pepper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post

Hey! She looks good as new! Being dead for a month and a half did wonders for her!

lisalouver Guest
    Linnies post was too long to quote LOL so I will just comment here on some of it ...

If indeed Jahi did have all three procedures, it is still all very common. Adnoids and tonsils are almost always hand in hand in children. Matter of fact, all my friends kids who have had the surgery have had both out. My little brother as well well over 30 years ago.

Regarding the turbinates, those too are relatively common. I myself have had three sinus surgeries - the last one with turbinates and a septoplasty (both of which are very common in people with allergies). I had these as an adult and although there was a good deal of pain involved afterwards, the risk to me was almost zero.

To Linnies friend regarding the guaze and sinus surgery, they stopped packing the nose with gauze after sinus surgeries back in about 2002 or 2003. Any ENT still doing it is no good. That practice was always a danger.

In my work as a medical examiners investigator, I have worked many, many cases in which a hospital was at fault just as I believe this one is. Part of my job is not only to go through the medical records with a fine tooth comb, but also to interview the doctors, assistants, and nurses that are involved from the beginning to the end. I cannot tell you how many times a medical person has slipped up and given me exactly what I needed to call their death malpractice and wrongful. Many times they try to hide the records. This goes on in ME offices all over the country hundreds of times. It doesnt make the news because the person never makes it as far as this little girl has.

In short, I beleive the hospital to be at fault here. I know that to be the truth. I have seen it in my work. She went in for something routine and they fucked up. That family deserves the only thing they can get at this point, which is money.

PS Linnie, not trying to single you out, just stating what I have known to be true from experience

GuiltyLittleDeathHag Guest
    This is just awful. I went through this with my mom, she was in a chronic vegetative state before she died and I was quite young (16) so i had no say from my family's perspective on what happened. My brothers and sister who were all older than me would not take her off life support because they felt she "might come out of it". I was in denial for about two months, but could then no longer ignore the obvious, she wasn't coming back. She eventually died of blood poisoning naturally, but it took several months. I feel for this family, the natural reaction is to go into denial. I understand that. Especially if it's your child. I really think though that if a person isn't coming back, you really just need to let them go. I would never wanna live being hooked up to machines, unable to move or even breathe on my own, for all intense and purposes, she is dead. And if there were any brain activity (I sometimes wonder with my mother even though only her brain stem was alive and I think that's not even the case with this little girl since she is completely brain dead but) can you imagine being trapped inside your body like that? To die in dignity is better than to live in torture. It's no way to see someone die, believe me. It's a horror show.

Here's a dark little question- somewhat related- does an older person suffering from something like advanced emphysema usually have usable organs? You can probably infer where I'm going with this.

Jahi's mother was advised by the doctor NOT TO HAVE the surgeries done, so she got a second opinion and went with WHAT SHE WANTED TO HEAR, not what was best for Jahi

Boatloads of guilt no doubt, but she decided to have the procedures done when Jahi's doctor advised against it so she has to blame ANYONE but herself

lisalouver Guest
    The doctors have the final culpability.

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    The doctors have the final culpability.
    Yes but I think the real reason she made such a ruckus was becasue she went ahead against the original doctors orders
    The guilt must be eating her alive

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shipmatekate View Post
    Yes but I think the real reason she made such a ruckus was becasue she went ahead against the original doctors orders
    The guilt must be eating her alive
    I don't pretend to know what she is thinking. But I know this, I have had the same surgery as an adult and it is LOADS more dangerous on an adult, and I survived. Coincidence? Probably not. Probably a more competent doctor.

It doesn't matter if 200 doctors told her not to do it or told her to do it. What matters is that the doctors and the hospital are responsible and will eventually pay for their mistakes.

Actually, WE'RE going to pay for the doctors' mistakes, as if medical costs, even under the best circumstances, and doctors' malpractice premiums, aren't high enough. Just like every other time someone sues what he or she thinks is a big moneymaking entity (as when disgruntled citizens sue their cities' various departments)-- where do they think that money comes from?
    Definitely NOT, you can be sure, from the hospital administrators' multi-million-dollar salaries which they earn by laying off more (often experienced and competent) nurses, doctors, and other necessary hospital staff, while jacking costs for other patients and THEIR insurances even higher, and while leaving them at the tender mercies of staff who may be overworked and not quite the best.
    Last edited by Linnie; 02-04-2014 at 05:49 PM.

A dark little voice speaks to me- didn't someone say the family ignored the doctor's directions, possibly causing the problem? Maybe not an accident?

Quote Originally Posted by Follower View Post
    A dark little voice speaks to me- didn't someone say the family ignored the doctor's directions, possibly causing the problem? Maybe not an accident?
    Evil! That's what that is.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by Follower View Post
    Oh yes, they FED her and suctioned her against orders
    I just don't feel like dealing with self righteous BS so I left it be

I wonder what her condition is as of now? I think it's weird that we haven't heard a word - or I havent. I hope they let that little angle fly - especially if she was physically decomposing before their eyes, that is freakin' terrible!
    My Posse's On Broadway

There's actually a "Keep Jahi Mcmath on Life Support" page on Facebook. I just read some of the comments, which are completely unsubstantiated. Here are a couple of them.....

One good thing that I read about recently Shwanda, is Jahi's hypothalamus is working.....that is the part of the brain that controls the body temperature. She is NOT fully 100% brain dead because if she was, the hypothalamus would not be working. I'm certain this precious child is a sleeping beauty. Also, you can research this if you want to, the brain does heal in certain situations. We all, on this support page, are believing God will heal her.

She is great. Not awake yet but responds to her mothers touch and voice. Her vitals are good and she is healing everday. Thank you for you continuous support and prayers.

weirdgurl Guest
    "Feed her omega 3 and organic healthy food so her body an heal it's self. Food is our medicine".
    This was my personal favorite...

My dad died of a massive bleeding ulcer and had pancreatic cancer. We were still able to donate eyes and skin. He was a DNR- so when he had his last bleeding bout, he just passed away. It's an image I will never be able to get out of my head. I can't imagine prolonging this imagery by insisting that this little girl will come out of this.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Her uncle, Omari Sealy, says she's moving her arms, legs, and head.

"She even turns in the direction of visitors when they enter her hospital room, an indication that she understands her surroundings," Sealy said.

"She moves so much, she can turn on her side," he said. "They have to keep her bed rails up. They're afraid she could fall out of bed."

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...ns-5319514.php

The family is waiting for her to open her eyes and wake up.
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

The family is always giving conflicting stories. Her mom says she's "sleeping, and bending at the waist, at times." Yeah, I'm not buying it, AT ALL.

This scenario reminds me of:

"When you rob Peter to pay Paul.....Paul will vote for you EVERY time!"

- Democratic Party platform for 80+ years & counting...

This is so sad any way you look at it - I would hate to have to be put in this position. I personally believe she is gone and is being kept alive for the parents sake, but that is their decision not mine. If she is really doing so well why are they not showing us pictures of her or video's of her thriving just to shut us up!
    My Posse's On Broadway

endsleigh03 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post

From the article:

"Jahi McMath spends much of her time like any other teenage girl: she sits cross-legged in bed, listens to Rihanna and Beyonce on her iPod, and gets a manicure and pedicure every Friday. This according to mom Nailah Winkfield..."

You know, I hate to speak ill of a family who's lost their child (or losing their child; depends on who's telling it) but that's just a damnable lie. To say this child spends her time "like any other teenage girl" is not exaggerating, it's lying. Come on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)

I would so love to see photos and video of this miracle. Even Terri Schaivo was able to look awake and alert after a fashion, and was kept well-maintained and clean--- one could at least see why her parents made the case to keep her going. I guess they were able to arrest the breakdown of Jahi's skin and organs as well?
    And yes, WHO is paying for this? Perhaps some wealthy right-to-lifer who otherwise scorns public programs to pay for regular people suffering treatable ailments that have a more hopeful prognosis or can be prevented.

weirdgurl Guest
    Didn't we discuss earlier that she was already rotting?
    What world are these people living in? I would also like to see video of her current state. I think it would be great if she was getting better, but I find it incredibly difficult (read impossible) to believe that any of the things the family states.

These parents are delusional and mentally ill

Sick, sick sick

Wendy A. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TaupinJohn View Post
    From the article:

"Jahi McMath spends much of her time like any other teenage girl: she sits cross-legged in bed, listens to Rihanna and Beyonce on her iPod, and gets a manicure and pedicure every Friday. This according to mom Nailah Winkfield..."

You know, I hate to speak ill of a family who's lost their child (or losing their child; depends on who's telling it) but that's just a damnable lie. To say this child spends her time "like any other teenage girl" is not exaggerating, it's lying. Come on.
    I bet they can't wait for the prom! Weekend at Bernies can be the theme. This family needs to get a grip and let her go. You're right, it's beyond exaggeration...and I wonder if they believe their own lies and how crazy they sound?
    Last edited by Wendy A.; 03-29-2014 at 04:55 PM.

No photos? Of course not. Poor girl.

Wendy A. Guest
    I wonder if all their lies and denial are from grief or guilt?

Like listening to Beyonce or Rhianna is going to help with her brain death...

RebelRocker Guest
    that is the biggest lie i have ever heard. she is just like any other teenager. um no, she isnt. she is laying on a bed being kept alive by a ventilator. how is that like any other teenager?

Quote Originally Posted by weirdgurl View Post
    "Feed her omega 3 and organic healthy food so her body an heal it's self. Food is our medicine".
    This was my personal favorite...
    Thru a tube no doubt, since she can't chew those greasy burgers she loves so much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Like listening to Beyonce or Rhianna is going to help with her brain death...
    More like hasten it
    "When you rob Peter to pay Paul.....Paul will vote for you EVERY time!"

- Democratic Party platform for 80+ years & counting...

endsleigh03 Guest
    Since 3 Docs declared her legally dead and a death certificate was issued ...... this is just gruesome. If she is sitting cross-legged in bed it's because somebody propped her up, and if shes listening to tunes its because somebody slapped earbuds on her.

It's even grosser because she has internal organ decomp going on. She is slowly turning into a slushy.

Mammy Guest
    I would so love to see photos and video of this miracle. Even Terri Schaivo was able to look awake and alert after a fashion, and was kept well-maintained and clean--- one could at least see why her parents made the case to keep her going. I guess they were able to arrest the breakdown of Jahi's skin and organs as well?
    And yes, WHO is paying for this? Perhaps some wealthy right-to-lifer who otherwise scorns public programs to pay for regular people suffering treatable ailments that have a more hopeful prognosis or can be prevented.
    Didn't Terri's family take video of her for hours and cherry pick the parts of the video that seemed to prove their point and leave out the rest of it? There's no way Jahi is sitting cross legged in her bed. It's more like her legs are drawing up into the fetal position from her muscles deteriorating.

People are usually so ready to sneak taking photos with their little devices, that I am ASTONISHED that NOBODY has snuck a selfie with poor Jahi and her earbuds, and leaked it onto the Internets. Wherever the young lady is, the facility must exercise iron control over even the janitors. If I was working for the National Enquirer, I'd offer a hefty reward for the first decent photo that could be smuggled out.

I would love to see some pictures too. I mean if she was already decomposing a couple months ago what kind of condition can she be in now? This is just so so wrong.

Mammy Guest
    How long can a person stay on life support after their body starts turning to mush? I'd sure hate to be the nursing assistants that had to change the linens on her bed. She has to be leaky.