Thread: Bud Adams, co-founder of AFL, Oilers/Titans owner

Bidmor Guest

Bud Adams, co-founder of AFL, Oilers/Titans owner

A week after famed Houston Oiler coach Bum Phillips died, his former boss, Bud Adams passed on Monday. Both men were age 90 at their deaths.

Along with Lamar Hunt, Bud Adams co-founded the American Football League, funded by lots of black gold money, which began play in 1960 to compete with the established National Football League. Afterward, Adams obtained an AFL franchise in Houston for $25000. He dubbed his team the Oilers.

A chunk of NFL history is gone.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/22/sp...t-90.html?_r=0

Not a Titans fan but I love Bud Adams. Flipping the bird towards opposing teams was classic.

Bidmor Guest
    Excellent story about Bud Adams and his huge impact on today's NFL. There's also a nice vid about Bum Phillips.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...tly-shaped-nfl

Triphammer Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    Not a Titans fan but I love Bud Adams. Flipping the bird towards opposing teams was classic.
    he was flippin' the bird at his own fans.

Loser Takes All is as close to a bio of Bud that exists I guess.
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

reving19 Guest
    This guy jacked Houston around so much, I was surprised that there wasn't an outcry to make the day of his death a city holiday. Some examples - George Blanda - Adams said he was too old and got rid of him...Blanda only went on to play in Super Bowl II and was a major reason the raiders made it there that year. Bum Phillips - beloved coach in Houston and was fired by Adams not for having a lousy season, but because Bum didn't want to hire a offensive coordinator. Earl Campbell - Sent him packing to New Orleans after he gave it his all in Houston. Warren Moon - let him get traded and then the Oilers suffered a 2-14 season with Cody Carlson at the helm (or at least when he could play since he was injured so much). This led to Steve "Air" McNair being drafted, and then Adams asks for a new stadium right after the horrible playoff comeback loss to Buffalo in 1993. Bad timing. The Oilers left, went to Nashville, became the Titans and now the Texans reside in Houston as the Pro Football Team. Adams also never allowed tail gating. He is not missed in Houston.

Bidmor Guest
    Yeah and didn't Houston voters recently decide to demolish the Astrodome?

Adams was a heel but he did get find backing to form the AFL and made a few good key business decisions.

Bidmor do try to get a copy of Loser Takes All
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

This is why I enjoy The Canadian Football League.(CFL)
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.