Thread: James Whale, Director of Frankenstein

Danny62 Guest

James Whale, Director of Frankenstein

James Whale who grew up poor in an English mining town, learned to put on plays in a World War I German prison camp. Postwar theatre work took him to the London stage, then Broadway, then a contract with Paramount, as dialog director for Howard Hughes' Hell's Angels (1930). He began his contribution to the horror film genre with his move to Universal, directing Boris Karloff in Frankenstein (1931), notable for its sympathetic presentation of the monster, and The Invisible Man (1933) and Bride of Frankenstein (1935), both notable for the humor he injected into horror. As horror movies lost favor, he retreated to a more private and hedonistic life including painting and all-male pool parties, at one point separating from his longtime lover David Lewis, suffering several strokes, finally committing suicide by drowning in his pool (he was afraid of water). His suicide note, to Lewis, read "The future is just old age and illness and pain.... I must have peace and this is the only way.

Interred at Forest Lawn, Glendale, California, USA, in the Great Mausoleum, Columbarium of Memory, Niche #20076.

The painful last years of his life in Hollywood, where he was one of the few celebrities to live openly acknowledging his homosexuality, were depicted by Ian Mckellen in God and Monsters (1998). This movie is a must see for any Death Hag!!

Because Whale's status as a director at Universal under the Carl Laemmle regime grew until he was given total control over his films, many of his films carry the credit "A James Whale Production", even though Whale never actually produced his films; the producing chores were always handled by someone else.

Life partner David Lewis found him dead in their Santa Monica swimming pool; he didn't disclose the suicide note until close to his own death in 1987, leaving Whale's death - up to that time - a mystery.

July 22, 1889-May 29, 1957

Jaxxx Guest
    I liked his movies, like you said, adding a human factor to the monsters. He gave us some good entertainment, sorry he choose a scary death, I'm a little afraid of water myself.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    I liked his movies, like you said, adding a human factor to the monsters. He gave us some good entertainment, sorry he choose a scary death, I'm a little afraid of water myself.
    You need to see that movie God and Monsters, I honestly don't know how accurate it is but the dude has some serious issues!!!

A Must see!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gods_and_Monsters

Jaxxx Guest
    I'll look for it, I would imagine I can find it on the net somewhere

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    "Gods and Monsters" is an incredible movie, Ian MacKellan is amazing. Brings me to tears every time at the end.

Kathyf Guest
    Liked his movies. Sad how he died.

leevancleef Guest
    What a great story, what an interesting man.
    i read that when he decided to stop making films he spent most of his time painting.

Danny62 Guest
    Yes was a very talented painter from what I have read! Like I said the guy was a bit odd or eccentric!!

Danny62 Guest
    There is also a story around that James hated how much attention Boris got during the filming of Frankenstein and had Boris Karloff do retake after retake of him carrying Colin Clive's body up to the windmill!!

Boris was really carrying him, Some think it was James doing it as punishment for how great a monster Boris was able to portray and also his sadistic humor coming Thru!!

hoxharding Guest
    Also, the film is based on the book "Gods and Monsters" and it is a wonderful read.

Catherine of Siena Guest
    Why did she euthanize herself?

Was she an unhappy woman?

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    Also, the film is based on the book "Gods and Monsters" and it is a wonderful read.

Is it pretty similar? Or does it go into more detail? I can't believe what a nut case James Whale was!! I may have to read the book!

Stephen James Guest
    Yeah i saw that movie based on his life i think it co starred Brendon Fraser, what a sad end to such a creative life.

Guest Guest
    I saw it this weekend ~ very powerful. It was, however, fiction, correct??

karmadragon Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    Less scary than the death he didn't choose.

tarsier Guest
    I LOVED Gods and Monsters. I never thought of it as a Death Hag thing but I loved his films and found this movie compelling.

doyleloyal Guest
    the movie is based on some truth and some fiction, just to keep up with the story for example brendan fraiser's character is entirely false. it is an excellent film however and a true must see. they play it on IFC all the time so if u haven't seen it I'd look on there first.

as for james whale the director, I love his films and the way he presented them. Frankenstein is truly a masterpiece.