Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jonathan Winters

Jonathan Winters

Legendary comedian and actor Jonathan Winters has died at the age of 87.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013...t-winters.html

This one hurts

VCNJ~
    Professional Thread-Killer

Joee Guest
    Just watched him in Mad Mad Mad Mad World a couple of weeks ago. A great comedian who serves his country as a wartime US Marine.

ajlposh Guest
    It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World is my favorite movie. What a great comedy talent.

radiojane Guest
    My New York times app just flashed this. Sad. RIP/

RIP
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Awww. Another one who seemed like a good egg. RIP Jonathan.

radiojane Guest
    I just remembered that when I read Cheryl Crane's memoir (Lana Turner's daughter, the one that stabbed the boyfriend), she was in a mental health facility with Jonathon Winters, and he was a large part of helping her find what she called "The will to live again".

Winters was a guest on the internet radio program "Stu's Show" back on September 19th, 2012. I wonder if that was his last public appearance ??

http://www.stusshow.com/archives.php?y=2012

God, why? Space them out a little better, will Ya?

Bidmor Guest
    What an incredible, quick, improvisational comedic mind he had. The man was hilarious.

lobosco107 Guest

Carrie Guest
    This news just turned my day to crap Everyone check out youtube...there are skits there with Jonathan and Dean Martin that will just make you pee your pants!! RIP Mr. Winters.

Nelliebean Guest
    He was so damn funny!

darlingmissmarple Guest
    He was a comedic genius. I absolutely loved him.He is the only one of that era I really enjoyed.
    Rest in peace, you wonderful man, Thanks for all the laughs.

Katrinawitch Guest
    Awwww, so sad. Loved him. It's sad that the 'kids these days' don't really even know who he was. I remember his hilarious role in "It's a Mad, Mad, etc. World", as the truck driver who ends up trashing the desert service station. But he was in so many things from my childhood. RIP.

ozzysmom Guest
    love, Love, LOVED HIM! Rip.....sniff sniff....

AliciaC Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    Awww. Another one who seemed like a good egg. RIP Jonathan.

Ahh "good egg", Mork & Mindy - that big egg. Love it.

This one hurts me also. My age did have superior comedians. I remember when he had a syndicated TV show and when the show ended he would be on an "attic" set that had thousands of props and he would grab one randomly and riff on it. Pure genius.

RIP Ma Frickert
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

I have enjoyed Jonathan Winters as a comedian but I have to say my favorite Winters roll was on the Twilight Zone with Jack Klugman in "A game of pool".
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

God's Blessings on this rare, wonderful talent that we were able to share a little time with. Rest well, Mr. Winters.
    "Never cut what you can untie"

-Joseph Joubert

RIP..................

Good night funny man.
    You always made me laugh.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

RIP Mearth. I also remember him in the Good Humor Ice Cream commercials.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jwinters.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	46221

I'm inconsolable over this one. I grew up with Winters, I saw Mad Mad Mad Mad World on the big screen, I watched his variety show in the 70's, I have his records. Jonathan, you left a mark on this earth like nobody else. RIP. "It's a 'W', I tell ya, it's a big 'W'!"

This one is hitting me hard. Simply adored this man. Just seeing him on TV put a smile on my face from childhood to adulthood.

You were brilliant, Mr. Winters. RIP.
    Cindy

How sad. He will be missed.

Bidmor Guest

He was so special to me. I grew up with him and have special memories of my parents playing his albums and we'd all laugh, laugh, laugh. Then we would have "inside jokes" repeating some of his bits to each other..."that kitchen full of hot, sweaty women." I can still see my Dad cracking up to tears in a haze of blue cigarette smoke - it was kind of rare to see him laugh like that.

Fast forward to a couple of of years ago. My husband and I had a "Jonathan Winters Fest" by watching him for hours on Youtube, Dean Martin Roasts...anything we could find. Our kids got to share that same laughter and joy with their parents. We were passing the tissue box around to wipe the tears from laughing so hard.

Thanks so much Jonathan Winters.
    Archer Fact: You canā??t tourniquet the taint. (Source: Ray Gillette)

Wendy A. Guest
    I feel terrible, I thought he had been dead! Rip Sir..

sablegsd Guest
    I loved him. He was a brilliant man. RIP Mr. Winters.
    Damn, my whole childhood is gone now.

ozzysmom Guest
    That video made me cry, Bidmor. Thank you so much for posting it. Every time I saw Jonathan Winter's face, and IMMEDIATE smile came across my face. I knew something funny was about to happen. I'm 45 and it's just breaks my heart and puts life into perspective when we lose someone who we grew up with. He was one of those people. <3
    Last edited by ozzysmom; 04-12-2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: oops spelling...lol

He was Mad WorldX5 IMHO. His quotes will stand the test of time:

"I can't ride this, it's a little girls bike!"

"Listen buddy, you're gettin' out of line" (Before Winters destroys an entire service station, I'm laughing writing this)

"If you told me your mother-in-law was the star of a horror movie, I'd believe it!"
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy A. View Post
    I feel terrible, I thought he had been dead! Rip Sir..

Me too, but this is very sad....

This month has been so sad. He always made me laugh. R.I.P. and thank you for all the laughs.

My favorite line from "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" was his, [furious] "So! So someone will "stumble over the little girl's bicycle in the dark", huh? Well when I'm finished with *you*, they'll be stumbling over *YOU* in the *dark*!

Starstruck Guest
    goodness, I thought he had already past! My bad

Thanks for the decades of laughs Mr. Winters. R.I.P.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Forever-27 Guest
    One of the most unfunny entertainers I've ever had the misfourtune to watch. He was an early version of adam sandler. Both are just plain not funny.

Didn't know him but will look him up, he seemed like he was a great guy.

Bayou Queen Guest
    Genius! I remember reading Robin Williams saying he was a huge influence on him. R.I.P. dear funny man!

phirerednga Guest
    Hearing this news made me cry....I thought he was so funny.

Elizabeth Guest
    Death needs to take a holiday.....he has been taking wayyyyyyy too many of my childhood heroes, with Valerie Harper next up on deck (and anyone else he decides to take unexpectedly)....

RIP Mr Winters.....you were one of the funniest men I have ever seen.....

knightstemplar22 Guest
    He was great! Made me cry I laughed so hard. Anyone else remember him from "Davis Rules" with Randy Quaid? Think it was in the early 90's. Or I may have imagined it all.....

Town Without Pity Guest
    I was sad to hear of Jonathan's passing....We were blessed to see his wonderful comedy. I knew he would always, always make me laugh no matter what he did. And I don't recall ever hearing anything bad about him. May he rest in peace.

ZeroXDash Guest
    Being a kid in the 80's they use to show Disney's Halloween Hall O' Fame every October 31st until the early 90's. I always knew him as the guard and the scary pumpkin head trapped in the crystal ball. You can watch the special on youtube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiOt0zfgPjI

Jonathan Winters in "The Loved One" to be shown May 24.

TCM (USA) is showing a film that sounds interesting to me as a Jonathan Winters fan AND as a Death Hag. It's called "The Loved One. " It's a satire on the funeral business and Jonathan plays dual roles as twins: one brother is a "Reverend" and owner of a Hollywood mortuary, the other brother oversees a pet cemetery. It also stars Robert Morse, Sir John Gielguld, Tab Hunter, Milton Berle, and LIBERACE for gosh sakes! I've never seen this before, or even heard of it. Can anyone provide any insight? Is it as good as it sounds? It's scheduled to air on Friday, May 24 at 10:15 pm (Eastern time.)
    Archer Fact: You canā??t tourniquet the taint. (Source: Ray Gillette)

Quote Originally Posted by homesgirl View Post
    TCM (USA) is showing a film that sounds interesting to me as a Jonathan Winters fan AND as a Death Hag. It's called "The Loved One. " It's a satire on the funeral business and Jonathan plays dual roles as twins: one brother is a "Reverend" and owner of a Hollywood mortuary, the other brother oversees a pet cemetery. It also stars Robert Morse, Sir John Gielguld, Tab Hunter, Milton Berle, and LIBERACE for gosh sakes! I've never seen this before, or even heard of it. Can anyone provide any insight? Is it as good as it sounds? It's scheduled to air on Friday, May 24 at 10:15 pm (Eastern time.)
    One of my favorite films. Hell of a cast, with the darkest of humor about Hollywood and the death industry (kind of like Forest Lawn gone mad). It may not be everyone's cup of tea. Liberace is a riot. So is Rod Stieger. Everyone is great. Of course, Jonathan is terrific too.
    Cindy

Rotten Tomatoes gives it a rating of 53%.

radiojane Guest
    Rotten tomatoes is wrong. It is a rreally good movie.

Kyttengyrl Guest
    Jonathan Winters is from my hometown of Dayton, Ohio. There is a house, not far from me built in 1820 by his ancestors. They owned one of the biggest banks in the area, Winters Bank. There is a Winters Bank building downtown, unless I missed it being torn down. If anyone is interested, I can get pics of these places.

mxwe Guest

Funeral arrangements

Where was the funeral, what were the arrangements, and where is he buried.
    He was one of my favorites,and I will miss him.