Thread: Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys!

Danny62 Guest

Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys!

They were the king of Western Swing, Founded by Bob Wills.
    Wills' musical legacy endured. His style influenced performers Buck Ownes and Merle Haggard and helped to spawn a style of music now known as the Bakersfield Sound. A 1970 tribute Album by Haggard directed a wider audience to Wills' music, as did the appearance of younger "revival" bands like Asleep at the wheel and the growing popularity of longtime Wills disciple and fan Willie Nelson. By 1971, Wills recovered sufficiently to travel occasionally and appear at tribute concerts. In 1973 he participated in a final reunion session with members of some the Texas Playboys from the 1930s to the 1960s. Merle Haggard was invited to play at this reunion. The session, scheduled for two days, took place in December, 1973, with the album to be titled For the Last Time. Wills, speaking or attempting to holler,appeared on a couple tracks from the first day's session but suffered a stroke overnight. He had a more severe one a few days later. The musicians completed the album without him. Wills by then was comatose. He lingered until his death on May 13, 1975.

Bob Wills is still the King!

Jaxxx Guest
    Hank is the king, even his middle name is King, but I love Bob Wills, Jefe you have great taste!!!!!

Hank is the best that's for sure. I was quoting a Waylon Jennings song called "Bob Wills is still the King"

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    Hank is the king, even his middle name is King, but I love Bob Wills, Jefe you have great taste!!!!!
    Doesn't Bob wills do a song called "great Speckled Bird?"

If its him it makes my ears hurt!!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Doesn't Bob wills do a song called "great Speckled Bird?"

If its him it makes my ears hurt!!
    That's a Roy Acuff song Danny. He also sings Wabash Cannonball

Bidmor Guest
    I own a copy of "For The Last Time" on vinyl...bought it new. Bob was indeed very weak by then. There's one cut, "What Makes Bob Holler", and Bob does a verse...it sounds like he mustered what little strength he had to do it.

Actually Bob enhanced his Western Swing style from the style of music he played when he was a member of the Light Crust Dough Boys. The colorful Texas governor, W. Lee "Pappy" O'Daniel, used that band during his campaigning.

there is some bob on you tube.

minnie pearl said they changed everything. not a direct quote,i can't remember excactly what she said,but it was good. they may hav brought the first drums to the opry.

if you have not seen their version of sittin' on top of the world,i don't think you will be disappointed.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    That's a Roy Acuff song Danny. He also sings Wabash Cannonball

Yep I just checked Roy Acuff. Man JefeStone you are a walking encyclopedia of Music Knowledge!!

motherogod Guest
    Makes me giggle to myself to read this, my late grandfather used to say out of the blue, "hey, let's listen to something classical like Bob Wills!" There was a lot of his music at my granddad's funeral.

Asleep at the Wheel doing Bob's classic "Faded Love"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Rhc...eature=related

Bob Wills/Milton Browne

Any Western Swing fans out there?
    I just got done reading "San Antonio Rose - The Life of Bob Wills"

Interesting character, IMHO if Milton Browne had lived longer the whole genre of Western Swing would be very different than it is today.

Milton Browne died after contracting pneumonia due to injuries received in a car accident. He was quite young and had a bright future....

Is there a book on Milton?

Thanks!

love Bob Wills, i'll have to read that book
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity. ~Edvard Munch

Quote Originally Posted by shipmatekate View Post
    Any Western Swing fans out there?
    I just got done reading "San Antonio Rose - The Life of Bob Wills"

Interesting character, IMHO if Milton Browne had lived longer the whole genre of Western Swing would be very different than it is today.

Milton Browne died after contracting pneumonia due to injuries received in a car accident. He was quite young and had a bright future....

Is there a book on Milton?

Thanks!
    I love Western Swing, having stumbled upon Asleep at the Wheel's music thanks to my 97-year-old grandfather. A few years ago, when I was looking for books in the library, I found a CD of their music and my grandpa expressed interest in it (he was 95 then) .
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

STsFirstmate Guest
    Huge Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys fan here!!!!
    It is the German Texas influance, country, big band and polka all mixed together!
    Regards,
    Mary

Cool, so glad to hear there are other fans!
    I have seen Asleep at The Wheel 4 times so far, and will again as soon as they tour again!

I met one of the ORIGINAL Texas Playboys, John Cavullieo
    about a year and ahlf ago. At 94 he was still playing the drums!
    Amazing guy!

Quote Originally Posted by shipmatekate View Post
    Cool, so glad to hear there are other fans!
    I have seen Asleep at The Wheel 4 times so far, and will again as soon as they tour again!

I met one of the ORIGINAL Texas Playboys, John Cavullieo
    about a year and ahlf ago. At 94 he was still playing the drums!
    Amazing guy!
    God bless him! That is so cool, he's still playing the drums.

crazedfemale Guest
    Al Stricklin - his daughter was my high school gym teacher. He came and visited one time during P.E. - I didn't realize the significance until he died a few years later and read his obit in the local paper.

motherogod Guest
    This thread really brought back memories... my grandfather who died in 2001 used to LOVE Bob Wills. He'd always say, "hey, let's hear something classical by Bob Wills!" He was a hoot. Classical. I miss him.

Quote Originally Posted by motherogod View Post
    This thread really brought back memories... my grandfather who died in 2001 used to LOVE Bob Wills. He'd always say, "hey, let's hear something classical by Bob Wills!" He was a hoot. Classical. I miss him.
    I don't blame you for missing your grandpa, he sounds like he was quite a bit like my grandpa. He recently informed me that some of the Bob Wills tunes were "good sparkin' music."

Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    Bob Wills is still the King!
    You're gawdamn right!

We saw the TX Playboys at the Coleman in Miami, OK a couple of weeks ago, talk about tight! They played for about 2 1/2 hours. Very impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJNuNvOSb1M

You can see more of the show here. If I did the playlist right, that is.

http://www.youtube.com/my_playlists?...FB70D682A761A4
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin