19 take off from the Ft. Lauderdale Naval Air Station in Florida on a
    routine three-hour training mission. Flight 19 was scheduled to take
    them due east for 120 miles, north for 73 miles, and then back over a
    final 120-mile leg that would return them to the naval base. They
    never returned.

Two hours after the flight began, the leader of the squadron, who had
    been flying in the area for more than six months, reported that his
    compass and back-up compass had failed and that his position was
    unknown. The other planes experienced similar instrument malfunctions.
    Radio facilities on land were contacted to find the location of the
    lost squadron, but none were successful. After two more hours of
    confused messages from the fliers, a distorted radio transmission from
    the squadron leader was heard at 6:20 p.m., apparently calling for his
    men to prepare to ditch their aircraft simultaneously because of lack
    of fuel.

By this time, several land radar stations finally determined that
    Flight 19 was somewhere north of the Bahamas and east of the Florida
    coast, and at 7:27 p.m. a search and rescue Mariner aircraft took off
    with a 13-man crew. Three minutes later, the Mariner aircraft radioed
    to its home base that its mission was underway. The Mariner was never
    heard from again. Later, there was a report from a tanker cruising off
    the coast of Florida of a visible explosion seen at 7:50 p.m.

The disappearance of the 14 men of Flight 19 and the 13 men of the
    Mariner led to one of the largest air and seas searches to that date,
    and hundreds of ships and aircraft combed thousands of square miles of
    the Atlantic Ocean, the Gulf of Mexico, and remote locations within
    the interior of Florida. No trace of the bodies or aircraft was ever
    found.

Although naval officials maintained that the remains of the six
    aircraft and 27 men were not found because stormy weather destroyed
    the evidence, the story of the "Lost Squadron" helped cement the
    legend of the Bermuda Triangle, an area of the Atlantic Ocean where
    ships and aircraft are said to disappear without a trace. The Bermuda
    Triangle is said to stretch from the southern U.S. coast across to
    Bermuda and down to the Atlantic coast of Cuba and Santo Domingo.

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    Am I mistaken, or did Bermuda Shorts disappear as well?

Kathyf Guest
    I wonder what really happened.

magblax Guest
    One of the scariest movies i ever saw was called "Devil's Triangle" which was made in the 70s. Ever since that movie these stories facinate me.

Kathyf Guest
    I forgot that one your right I was creeped out with that one too.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry in Connecticut View Post

Unfortunately, not...their alive and well in Miami....

onehunglow Guest
    I think they run out of gas after getting lost and turning back to late.

Where exactly ids the Berbuda Triangle? I guess it's not as well known as the Bermuda Triangle?

l think the lesser-known berbuda triangle is where milte's going after his 500th post.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    l think the lesser-known berbuda triangle is where milte's going after his 500th post.
    That would be Canada, England & Australia for the world tour?

Morbid1 Guest
    You think thats where Steve Fossett is?

Hmmm..

lol..

-Morbid1

Jaxxx Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    LOL....He'll be back

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry in Connecticut View Post
    No way! as you can see they are still popular and still offer that ever so that casual yet sophisticated look that we all desire when cruising the ocean's edge!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bermuda_shorts_DW_R_255644g.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	2122

Danny62 Guest

Bermuda Triangle and the loss of flight 19

At about 2:10 p.m. on the afternoon of 5 December 1945, Flight 19, consisting of five TBM Avenger Torpedo Bombers (manufactured by the Eastern Aircraft under license from Grumman) departed from the U. S. Naval Air Station, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, on an authorized advanced overwater navigational training flight. They were to execute navigation problem No. 1, which is as follows: depart 26 degrees 03 minutes north and 80 degrees 07 minutes west and fly 091 degrees distance 56 miles to Hen and Chickens Shoals to conduct low level bombing, after bombing continue on course 091 degrees for 67 miles, fly course 346 degrees distance 73 miles and fly course 241 degrees distance 120 miles, then returning to U. S. Naval Air Station, Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

In charge of the flight was a senior qualified flight instructor, piloting one of the planes. The other planes were piloted by qualified pilots with between 350 and 400 hours flight time of which at least 55 was in TBM type aircraft. The weather over the area covered by the track of the navigational problem consisted of scattered rain showers with a ceiling of 2500 feet within the showers and unlimited outside the showers, visibility of 6-8 miles in the showers, 10-12 otherwise. Surface winds were 20 knots with gusts to 31 knots. The sea was moderate to rough. The general weather conditions were considered average for training flights of this nature except within showers.

A radio message intercepted at about 4 p.m. was the first indication that Flight 19 was lost. This message, believed to be between the leader on Flight 19 and another pilot in the same flight, indicated that the instructor was uncertain of his position and the direction of the Florida coast. The aircraft also were experiencing malfunction of their compasses. Attempts to establish communications on the training frequency were unsatisfactory due to interference from Cuba broadcasting stations, static, and atmospheric conditions. All radio contact was lost before the exact nature of the trouble or the location of the flight could be determined. Indications are that the flight became lost somewhere east of the Florida peninsula and was unable to determine a course to return to their base. The flight was never heard from again and no trace of the planes were ever found. It is assumed that they made forced landings at sea, in darkness somewhere east of the Florida peninsula, possibly after running out of gas. It is known that the fuel carried by the aircraft would have been completely exhausted by 8 p.m. The sea in that presumed area was rough and unfavorable for a water landing. It is also possible that some unexpected and unforeseen development of weather conditions may have intervened although there is no evidence of freak storms in the area at the time.

All available facilities in the immediate area were used in an effort to locate the missing aircraft and help them return to base. These efforts were not successful. No trace of the aircraft was ever found even though an extensive search operation was conducted until the evening of 10 December 1945, when weather conditions deteriorated to the point where further efforts became unduly hazardous. Sufficient aircraft and surface vessels were utilized to satisfactorily cover those areas in which survivors of Flight 19 could be presumed to be located.

One search aircraft was lost during the operation. A PBM patrol plane which was launched at approximately 7:30 p.m., 5 December 1945, to search for the missing TBM's. This aircraft was never seen nor heard from after take-off. Based upon a report from a merchant ship off Fort Lauderdale which sighted a "burst of flame, apparently an explosion, and passed through on oil slick at a time and place which matched the presumed location of the PBM, it is believed this aircraft exploded at sea and sank at approximately 28.59 N; 80.25 W. No trace of the plane or its crew was ever found.

Jaxxx Guest
    love this thread Danny, lets see what we come up with, I have flown over it, some gravity thing going on

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    love this thread Danny, lets see what we come up with, I have flown over it, some gravity thing going on
    I hear it causes the instruments to go all crazy and stuff in that area?

Jaxxx Guest
    I heard that too, I didn't notice it, but other pilots have mentioned it. I often wondered how many planes are underwater there.

KristinEileen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    I heard that too, I didn't notice it, but other pilots have mentioned it. I often wondered how many planes are underwater there.
    I wonder what would be found if someone went down there and checked it out..I bet Robert Ballard, the guy that went down to the Titanic would be all over it. I bet there are planes on top of plane and so on down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    I hear it causes the instruments to go all crazy and stuff in that area?
    Interesting stuff. I remember being scared enough to pee my pants when people would talk about the Bermuda Triangle. I've always wondered why all of a sudden the disappearances stopped... It might be due to better technology in navigational equipment. Specifically, they don't need to worry so much about where magnetic North is, as all of the Satellite telemetry systems have their position plus or minus one nostril hair.

But it would be cool to get an explanation as to what happened. That and Area 51, Easter Island, etc.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KristinEileen View Post
    I wonder what would be found if someone went down there and checked it out..I bet Robert Ballard, the guy that went down to the Titanic would be all over it. I bet there are planes on top of plane and so on down there.
    I am surprised no one has ever attempted to do something like that. With all the technology available today, I would think it would be fairly easy to get some underwater scans/images. It would be really cool to check out whats laying on the bottom of the ocean floor.

joS3ph Guest
    As a commercial airline pilot, I have to say that cockpit instruments do NOT go crazy while flying through the Bermuda Triangle. I have personally flown the area many times, as a Captain and First Officer with absolutely no trouble. Don't believe everything you see on television. We do, to this day, continue to make jokes over the communications systems in regards to this area.

Of course, navigational instruments of today are very advanced. It may have happened years ago, but not anymore.

joS3ph VF-84 Jolly Rogers NAS Oceana
    Last edited by joS3ph; 01-22-2008 at 12:05 PM.

TheMysterian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joS3ph View Post
    As a commercial airline pilot, I have to say that cockpit instruments do NOT go crazy while flying through the Bermuda Triangle. I have personally flown the area many times, as a Captain and First Officer with absolutely no trouble. Don't believe everything you see on television. We do, to this day, continue to make jokes over the communications systems in regards to this area.

Of course, navigational instruments of today are very advanced. It may have happened years ago, but not anymore.

Well being a commerical pilot,I would accept your word as "Gospel"! Still, many ships and planes have gone "Missing" in the area with no explanation. I can only think that "Charles Berlitz" and other authors made a fortune off books on the subject which still is a Mystery to many people.I'm wondering being a pilot,what is your take on U.F.O.'s

joS3ph Guest

Bermuda Triangle

Quote Originally Posted by TheMysterian View Post
    Well being a commerical pilot,I would accept your word as "Gospel"! Still, many ships and planes have gone "Missing" in the area with no explanation. I can only think that "Charles Berlitz" and other authors made a fortune off books on the subject which still is a Mystery to many people.I'm wondering being a pilot,what is your take on U.F.O.'s
    I wasn't trying to be authoritative, all-inclusive, or rude. All I was saying is that NOW no such problems exist with modern aircraft flying in, or flying near, the Bermuda Triangle. I don't expect anything I say to be taken as the "gospel."

In the Jeppesen Navigation Enroute Charts for pilots, there are five Airways that crisscross the Triangle. Of these, two [Airways B646, A637] connect air traffic from all over Florida to Bermuda. One from Nassau, Bahamas [Airway A555] links to San Juan and two more [Airways L435, L375] pass over the Triangle towards the African continent. If the dangers of the Bermuda Triangle were true, the airspace above it would have been declared by ICAO [International Civil Aviation Organization] as prohibited airspace to enhance aviation safety.

As far as U.F.O.'s, I have personally seen objects that cannot be readily [or easily] explained. I do not believe in little green men!

Last edited by joS3ph; 01-22-2008 at 05:45 PM.

lil_zino Guest
    My friend and I were convinced that the segment "B-17" in the movie Heavy Metal was the creators interpretation of the Bermuda Triangle. We were young at the time and probably had no clue what we were talking about.

As for the reality of it, I'm not really sure. I've heard people say that all those movies made about disappearances, messed up gravitational pull and the like there were just made up for entertainment purposes. I do err on the side of being a skeptic quite often, so I'll have to study this all a bit more before I can formulate an opinion.
    Last edited by lil_zino; 01-22-2008 at 10:49 PM.

TheMysterian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joS3ph View Post
    I wasn't trying to be authoritative, all-inclusive, or rude. All I was saying is that NOW no such problems exist with modern aircraft flying in, or flying near, the Bermuda Triangle. I don't expect anything I say to be taken as the "gospel."

In the Jeppesen Navigation Enroute Charts for pilots, there are five Airways that crisscross the Triangle. Of these, two [Airways B646, A637] connect air traffic from all over Florida to Bermuda. One from Nassau, Bahamas [Airway A555] links to San Juan and two more [Airways L435, L375] pass over the Triangle towards the African continent. If the dangers of the Bermuda Triangle were true, the airspace above it would have been declared by ICAO [International Civil Aviation Organization] as prohibited airspace to enhance aviation safety.

As far as U.F.O.'s, I have personally seen objects that cannot be readily [or easily] explained. I do not believe in little green men!

I agree with you again,what I was stating was the fact that you as a commerical pilot are a trained observer and a professional who has experience in this area.I don't think you were being rude,I think your thoughts, impressions and experiences on this subject are quite clear,I respect the opinions of those who are much more qualified and trained in these matters.

joS3ph Guest

Bernuda Triangle

I enjoy this group very much and I wasn't trying to upset anyone or make any enemies. I also don't want anyone to think I am a 'know-it-all.' I was just adding comments about what I know in regards to the Triangle. You have a great avatar!

You can fly over the Bermuda Triangle with LOTS of cloud cover. You can fly over the Bermuda Triangle in a storm. But never, EVER, fly into a hail storm [OR let the windscreen heater malfunction!].

Have a GREAT day!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	737-7L9 over Bermuda.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	3042   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	737-852 over Bermuda.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	183.8 KB 
ID:	3043   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Broken_Windscreen.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	253.9 KB 
ID:	3044  
    Last edited by joS3ph; 01-23-2008 at 01:55 PM.

In 1974 my family was going on a Caribbean cruise and as a little girl I was scared sh!tless of being anywhere near the Bermuda Triangle. One of the arguments against anything strange actually happening within the Bermuda Triangle was that ships get lost at sea all the time and everywhere, as do small aircraft. Someone did a study and figured out that the rate of disappearance was no greater than the English Channel, if I remember correctly (that was a LONG time ago). At least that was what I was told when I was crying on the dock in Miami refusing to get on the cruise ship.

Back then (when we had dinosaurs for pets), there were no satellite systems to show a storm coming, nor could people easily call for help if their radio was dead (bad batteries or other damage). Today, things are built more rugged and there is a much better rescue network if someone is in trouble.

The whole topic is fascinating and it would be great if one of the recovery groups would go exploring. What's amazing to me is that they JUST FOUND the remnants of a plane that went down in the High Sierras during World War II. I believe they found two of the people who were on the plane in remarkable condition because the crash happened on a glacier and they were frozen all that time. Not to mention all the crash sites they found while looking for Steve Fosset (Still amazed they haven't found him yet, but that's for another thread).

My point being that I am sure there are lots of unsolved mysteries out there that with today's technology could be solved.

Uncle Thring Guest
    (From Wikipedia Flight 19 Entry)

"In 1991, the wreckage of five Avengers was discovered off the coast of Florida, but engine serial numbers revealed they were not Flight 19. They had crashed on five different days "all within a mile and a half [~2.4 km] of each other."[6] Records showed training accidents between 1942 and 1946 accounted for the loss of 94 aviation personal from NAS Ft. Lauderdale (including Flight 19.)[7] In 1992, another expedition located scattered debris on the ocean floor, but nothing could be identified. In the last decade, searchers have been expanding their area to include farther east, into the Atlantic Ocean. It has been determined through Navy records that the various discovered aircraft, including the group of five, were declared either unfit for maintenance/repair or obsolete, and simply disposed of at sea."

I remember reading about how the 5 Avenger wrecks were found back in 1991 and thinking "Wow..they found them" then reading a week later that they weren't Flight 19!!! WTF! So Close!!!

cachluv Guest
    bump

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulie Girl View Post
    I am surprised no one has ever attempted to do something like that. With all the technology available today, I would think it would be fairly easy to get some underwater scans/images. It would be really cool to check out whats laying on the bottom of the ocean floor.
    Wonder if it's possible that something is preventing exploration of this area ? Doesn't it strike all of you as VERY odd that this area has never been thoroughly explored ?? Hmmmmmmm ????? Wonder if anything is being withheld about this area ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    Wonder if it's possible that something is preventing exploration of this area ? Doesn't it strike all of you as VERY odd that this area has never been thoroughly explored ?? Hmmmmmmm ????? Wonder if anything is being withheld about this area ?

Exactly! We stick our nose everywhere else. I think some sort of magnetic fields are under water there. Would explain some stuff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    very good point!

bluebird14 Guest
    LOL. I love this thread!

I think the bemuda triangle is kind of scary. A place where people go and get lost forever in time...makes for a hell of a good story!

i have my own bermuda triangle in my house. things are lost and are never found again, like sunglasses, keys, checkbooks, wallets, etc... :/
    pull the string!

Do we have a list of all objects that have been recorded as "lost" in the Bermuda Triangle? I know it's supposed to be a bad place to travel through, but I don't recall how many things have been "lost".
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

steph81202 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    i have my own bermuda triangle in my house. things are lost and are never found again, like sunglasses, keys, checkbooks, wallets, etc... :/

OMG!!! I have one of these too. Socks, homework, cordless phones, remotes, and sometime left shoes. Just the left, hrm??? They all go missing in my triangle. I would be great if we could get an expedition together and go on an extensive search. Who knows what we'd find.

Quote Originally Posted by steph81202 View Post
    OMG!!! I have one of these too. Socks, homework, cordless phones, remotes, and sometime left shoes. Just the left, hrm??? They all go missing in my triangle. I would be great if we could get an expedition together and go on an extensive search. Who knows what we'd find.
    Holy cow, I have one too!!! Except until now I thought I had a black hole. Either that or I'm actually already in Pergatory on Earth. If/when I get to Heaven, Jesus will give me a whole box of missing socks, shoes, keys, pagers, scotch tape, scissors and important mail.

bluebird14 Guest
    I have a bermuda triangle too! But it lives in my dryer...