Thread: George H. W. Bush "Bush 41"

George H. W. Bush "Bush 41"

Hearing a lot of "press-speak" that are giving vibes that Bush 41 is not long for this world. If he goes that will leave only 3 ex-presidents around. He is 88. That may put him in the top five of long lived former presidents.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

It's a "death watch" now...

He is in intensive care and has been in the hospital for the last couple weeks. It looks like someone has got the pull the treatment and let him go. He is in a wheelchair now the way it is. I am sure he doesn't want to live that way.
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Bidmor Guest
    I see a state funeral within the next couple of weeks...all on our dime of course. I wonder if Jimmy Carter will show up?

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    I see a state funeral within the next couple of weeks...all on our dime of course. I wonder if Jimmy Carter will show up?
    We actually saved on Ford and Nixon because they didn't get the works. I asked David Eisenhower about Nixon's funeral and he said initially they were not going to do that much. It was Bill Clinton who was calling up insisting they do this and that. Go figure. Not one of the Clinton's showed up at Pat Nixon's funeral the year before. When Nixon died they insisted on things so they should make a show of themselves. I think George H. W Bush deserves this great funeral.
    Last edited by coconn04; 12-27-2012 at 09:26 AM.
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by coconn04 View Post
    We actually saved on Ford and Nixon because they didn't get the worlds. I asked David Eisenhower about Nixon's funeral and he said initially they were not going to do that much. It was Bill Clinton who was calling up insisting they do this and that. Go figure. Not one of the Clinton's showed up at Pat Nixon's funeral the year before. When Nixon died they insisted on things so they should make a show of themselves. I think George H. W Bush deserves this great funeral.
    Coconn, you spoke with David Eisenhower? How did that come to happen?

And please expand on "they didn't get the worlds".

Thanks.

Coconn, you spoke with David Eisenhower? How did that come to happen?

And please expand on "they didn't get the worlds".

Thanks.
    I meant that Nixon and Ford didn't get the works. Sorry about this because I am on an iPhone. The Eisenhowers live around my area in suburban Philadelphia. About 2 years ago David had a little publicized book talk and party for his book about his grandfather. Only a few people showed up since there was no publicity. We talked to him about an hour. I also met his daughter Melanie and his grandchild Kia. Kia was only 2 at the time. His daughter Jenny is also an award winning local theater actress. But back to Bush I mean how often does a really big state funeral happen. Last time was Reagan!

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Bidmor Guest
    Great story, Coconn, thank you. That occasion has to be one of your personal most memorable.

Regarding Reagan's funeral, what sticks out in my mind is the minister at the cemetery, speaking to Nancy and the family, then launching into a bad impersonation of Margaret Thatcher who paid tribute earlier via video. I could empathize embarrassment of the family. It was if the minister had a couple too many shots before the service.

Forever-27 Guest
    That poor man, he's the first President I voted for after turning 18.

If and when he dies, its up to the Bush family how to handle services. There's nothing in the constution on how presidental funeral work. He may get a small crowd or have a Reagan style service.
    Last edited by Forever-27; 12-27-2012 at 11:40 AM.

shame...but it sounds like he has septicemia....let him die in peace....
    "if you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first" Kurt Cobain

[SIGPIC] http://phineas4cobain.tumblr.com/post/36392280360 [/SIGPIC]

I always liked him, hope he recovers...so many of the elderly die at this time of the year.

Bidmor Guest
    Of course there's nothing in the Constitution regarding presidential memorials etc. It's more a matter of some traditions mixed with the family's wishes. However I would venture to say there will be a public service whenever he passes, and the sitting president always is asked to deliver remarks, and protocol requires former living presidents to attend if physically able.

I wonder...if Bush passes soon, will Hillary Clinton, who has disappeared from public view due to a conveniently-timed bump on the head, accompany Bill who will certainly attend?

Rosebud666 Guest
    Well, I applauded after Bill's inauguration when "41" choppered out of there (as did a lot of the other people standing around), but I certainly don't wish him dead or want to see him suffer.

Clinton and Bush have worked a lot together during Katrina and such. I was hoping this wouldn't become partisan. He served 8 years as VP and 4 as president. If they decide to give him the works I hope people participate. Besides that I did enjoy the Reagan funeral. I would believe it all worth it if I could see Barbara throw herself on the coffin like Nancy did for Reagan.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by coconn04 View Post
    Clinton and Bush have worked a lot together during Katrina and such. I was hoping this wouldn't become partisan. He served 8 years as VP and 4 as president. If they decide to give him the works I hope people participate. Besides that I did enjoy the Reagan funeral. I would believe it all worth it if I could see Barbara throw herself on the coffin like Nancy did for Reagan.
    It's hardly partisan to say that I don't want him to die although I disagreed strongly with his politics, is it? Although I guess it's possible to mistake a sense of magnanimty (and respect for the office and his age) for partisanship if one wants to badly enough.
    Barbara Bush has way too much class and decorum to throw herself on a coffin. She makes Nancy Reagan look like Hollywood trailer trash.
    Last edited by Rosebud666; 12-27-2012 at 04:24 PM.

I predict he dies before or on New Year's Day.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

I think Carter would show up after all Bush wasn't Jewish.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

He served his country in many ways. He deserves a good send off.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Without getting political regarding 9-11, one of the images I will never forget was when Dubya was giving a speech at a memorial service and when he sat down, his father reached over and patted him on the arm. I don't know why it stuck with me, but it really moved me. He always impressed me by putting politics aside during times of trouble and working with Clinton to raise money. I hope he doesn't suffer.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post
    Without getting political regarding 9-11, one of the images I will never forget was when Dubya was giving a speech at a memorial service and when he sat down, his father reached over and patted him on the arm. I don't know why it stuck with me, but it really moved me. He always impressed me by putting politics aside during times of trouble and working with Clinton to raise money. I hope he doesn't suffer.
    Well said. I also hope he doesn't suffer. The family spokesperson was pretty honest and didn't try to make things all flowery.

Of course there's nothing in the Constitution regarding presidential memorials etc. It's more a matter of some traditions mixed with the family's wishes. However I would venture to say there will be a public service whenever he passes, and the sitting president always is asked to deliver remarks, and protocol requires former living presidents to attend if physically able.

I wonder...if Bush passes soon, will Hillary Clinton, who has disappeared from public view due to a conveniently-timed bump on the head, accompany Bill who will certainly attend?
    I don't know whether anyone saw the memorial service for that Senator from Hawaii. They had it in the National Cathedral. Everyone was looking somber including Obama. They had a group that sang Somewhere Over the Rainbow". Bill Clinton was singing along. At least he looked like he was having a good time. By the way, George H. W. Bush was the only president I have ever Met.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Looks like Bush, Sr. is pulling a Zsa Zsa.
    Peter the Hermit

Well it appears that if Bush 41 were to shed his mortal coil anytime soon he would not make the list if top 5 presidential long livers. He would be #6.

!. Gerald Ford 93Y - 165D
    2. Ronald Reagan 93Y - 120D
    3. John Adams 90Y - 247 Days (a record held for 180 years)
    4. Herbert Hoover 90Y - 71D
    5. Harry Truman 88Y - 237D

6. George H.W. Bush 88Y - 197D

Jimmy Cooter is 3 months younger than Bush, Sr. and still has a good chance of climbing up the top five. All of the top 5 but Adams were 20th century presidents.

The shortest lived president was John F. Kennedy at 46. Wow when JFK was my age he had been dead 7 years.
    Last edited by MagnusDippytack; 12-28-2012 at 08:19 AM.
    Peter the Hermit

Stick him in a fridge box and toss him off a bridge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

When he dies soon hope he is buried next
    to Lee Atwater the man who thought of the
    racist "Willie Horton" ad.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    When he dies soon hope he is buried next
    to Lee Atwater the man who thought of the
    racist "Willie Horton" ad.
    You are incorrect. It was Al Gore and his people who thought up the Willie Horton ad and used it against Du-cok-eye first.
    Peter the Hermit

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    Stick him in a fridge box and toss him off a bridge.
    YES!

Wendy A. Guest
    I never really cared for him as a president, but I respect the man for his many years of service to our country. I really like how he and Clinton teamed up after Hurricane Katrina. It's said their good friends. That is real bipartisanship. This is what the bozo's we have in office need to observe, respect and try on for themselves. They may be amazed at what they could accomplish.

George H W Bush and wife Barbara have both been hospitalized in Houston

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/18/politi...zed/index.html

Well, he still might not be the "longest-lived ex-President"; but surely he's set a record for the longest "death watch".

This conversation's been coming around since 2012.

I wish him and his well.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Well, he still might not be the "longest-lived ex-President"; but surely he's set a record for the longest "death watch".

I wish him and his well.
    Yeah, I was thinking same thing.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post

I wish him and his well.
    Always a staple on every ones dead pool.
    I've never been ashamed to be a white American and I have ZERO guilt and no pussy liberal is going to make me feel I should.
    --McCourt

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    Well it appears that if Bush 41 were to shed his mortal coil anytime soon he would not make the list if top 5 presidential long livers. He would be #6.

!. Gerald Ford 93Y - 165D
    2. Ronald Reagan 93Y - 120D
    3. John Adams 90Y - 247 Days (a record held for 180 years)
    4. Herbert Hoover 90Y - 71D
    5. Harry Truman 88Y - 237D

6. George H.W. Bush 88Y - 197D

Jimmy Cooter is 3 months younger than Bush, Sr. and still has a good chance of climbing up the top five. All of the top 5 but Adams were 20th century presidents.

The shortest lived president was John F. Kennedy at 46. Wow when JFK was my age he had been dead 7 years.
    Hate to say it, but now it's a watch to see if he closes in on the #2 spot for longest lived, hope he makes it, same with Jimmy Carter. I would think if he passes while Trump is the POTUS there will be big fanfare, since they're both from the same party. I guess I hate to see any president in my lifetime pass, even if it's inevitable.
    Last edited by Dangitbawb; 03-01-2017 at 09:59 AM.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

Looks like the watch is back on...
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

Last edited by cash; 04-24-2017 at 09:37 PM.

Barbara Bush is in failing health and won't seek additional medical treatment.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...failing-health
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post
    Barbara Bush is in failing health and won't seek additional medical treatment.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...failing-health
    she has congestive heart failure and COPD - Barbara not George

https://khn.org/news/barbara-bushs-e...-comfort-care/

in intensive care - he won't last long I suspect

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/23/polit...ush/index.html

Probably not. His reason to keep living has passed.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.