Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best MADD Anti DUI commercial ever

Best MADD Anti DUI commercial ever

**THIS VIDEO FROM MOTHERS AGAINST DRUNK DRIVING CONTAINS VERY GRAHPIC SIMULATED AND REAL FOOTAGE OF CAR ACCIDENTS AND MAY BE DIFFICULT TO WATCH FOR ANYONE WHO HAS BEEN IN A CAR ACCIDENT OR WHO HAS LOST A LOVED ONE IN AN ACCIDENT. DISCRETION IS ADVISED**

I think this belongs here since drinking and driving is law-breaking. Someone's mom just posted this and it is really, really graphic for a commercial!

The holiday season is definitely a time when drinking occurs more often so I can understand why this is making the rounds. I like one poster on youtube's comment:

This should be mandatory to watch when applying for a drivers license. It also should be played on a screen at liquor stores on high risk occasions like Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, Canada Day/Independance Day, and of course St Patrick's Day (lol). But I also thing the famous "Texting while driving PSA should be played in High Schools. So what if its graphic, Life is graphic.
    I agree. It couldn't hurt to remind people when they're purchasing alcohol that they (or someone they love) could end up in a very bad way.
    Last edited by Melisscious; 01-06-2013 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Uprgrade graphic warning as per suggestion. Thanks!

This should be mandatory in every high school.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

I still have goosebumps! This seriously freaked me out!

I can't get it to work, do you have a link?

That's an eye opener. You may want to add a warning to your first post. I'm not complaining because this is a good deterrent but it just gave me the worst flash backs. People that have been in bad accidents might not need to watch this. I feel like I'm re living something I wanted to forget. Again I'm not complaining but maybe warn people about what they're going to see. I see you stated that it is graphic so if I'm out of line I apologize.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

Wow. That was intense. Should be played in high rotation in any establishment that serves alcohol.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5b69J_bMoYk

Damn, that was well done. The reactions of the parent's in situations like this, always get to me.

This should be mandatory to watch when applying for a drivers license. It also should be played on a screen at liquor stores on high risk occasions like Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, Canada Day/Independance Day, and of course St Patrick's Day (lol). But I also thing the famous "Texting while driving PSA should be played in High Schools. So what if its graphic, Life is graphic.

I couldn't agree more with this. Two teenagers were just killed in my city this past week in a DD accident. So sad.

That just made me want to bawl my eyes out pretty much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Do mind the pedestrian, Richard."
    - Hyacinth Bucket

Ok I couldn't finish watching this, made me get teary-eyed. Good video though & I agree when teens get their licenses, they should be forced to watch something like this.

I have watched this video several times now.. I guess i'm a masochist.. This was just so well done! I have been there so many times.. I'm not going to lie. I could have easily killed people, several times.. I was a lucky one. Usually, the drunk people don't die, their bodies go naturally limp.. I just.. Man.. I keep watching this video.. Having parent's that are in the field, you hear about this all the time. Then you turn into a death hag.. I uhh... Well this video hit my ass hard. REALLY hard. I am showing it to EVERYONE I know. I don't drink and drive anymore, yeah I got busted, deservedly so. I grew up, and realized the reality of situations like this. This just needs to be seen. So well done.

Quote Originally Posted by McMorbid View Post
    That's an eye opener. You may want to add a warning to your first post. I'm not complaining because this is a good deterrent but it just gave me the worst flash backs. People that have been in bad accidents might not need to watch this. I feel like I'm re living something I wanted to forget. Again I'm not complaining but maybe warn people about what they're going to see. I see you stated that it is graphic so if I'm out of line I apologize.
    No you're not. I added it after I read that it should have a warning on it. You're right. The vid is brutal and some might prefer not to view it.

As far as someone stating it should be shown in high school. I mentioned this to Sissy and she said that did indeed show such vids, that her then teenage daughter saw one and said it was horrible. Of course some kids pay no attention to heads up vids because they think they are invincible. Years ago a teenage boy in my city received a brand new red pickup for graduation. The very first day he drove it he got into a drag race with two girls and he crashed died. The summer of 1973, a couple of months after she graduated, a friend of mine was giving people a lift to church when a drunk driver hit her head on. After being in a coma for a week her family pulled the plug. And I was in one myself. When I was just under one year old my fam was headed down a highway when a drunk driving a pickup truck hit us head on. I was thrown through the windshield and landed on the pavement. I know this because one of my great uncles happened along at the same time as the wreck.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5b69J_bMoYk

Damn, that was well done. The reactions of the parent's in situations like this, always get to me.

Thank you

and

holy crap..................

very well done

Mammy Guest
    I am shaking like a leaf from watching that and my husband got emotional watching it, too. It's like I was right there in the vehicles with these people. I sure won't forget that video any time soon.

My first husband and I had a married couple we were friends with. We had two children and they had three children and we enjoyed spending time together. In 1992, their children were four, two, and eight months and he worked two jobs because he wanted his wife to be able to stay home with their children like she wanted to. He was always cheerful and upbeat and adored his wife and babies. On January 8, 1992, he was hit head on by a drunk driver on his way to his second job. He was in a small Honda and he had to be cut out of it and they said he died on impact. His daughter who was four has a few vague memories of him, but his two sons can't remember him at all. His death was one of the most hard things to accept in my entire life because it was senseless and could have easily been prevented. It still hurts to think about him dying at 23 years old and not getting to help raise his babies or live happily ever after with his highschool sweetheart who he married. He now has a two year old grandson and I think how much he would have adored him. I wish people who drink and drive would consider the consequences and how many lives they shatter because they are selfish. I'm glad drunk driving is taken more serious now than in the past and the penalties are much more severe. Of course, Kentucky is the home of one of the worst drunk driving accidents in history with the Carrollton bus crash. A drunk driver going the wrong way on an interstate hit a bus load of kids from a church youth group who were on their way home after spending the day at King's Island. The crash ruptured the gas tank on the bus and caused it to catch on fire and 27 people burned to death, mostly all children. Their autopsies showed that none of them died from the crash itself, they all died after burning alive and smoke inhalation. Many more were injured and scarred for life. For the deaths and injuries he caused, he only served 10 years and 11 months in prison and he had been in trouble for another DUI before the bus crash. Maybe if he had been punished more harshly for the previous DUI, all of the victims would still be alive.

It is a graphic PSA compared to today's standards. When I was in high school back in the 80's we were required to watch films in court before receiving our driver's license. I know the one I saw was "Wheels of Death" and it showed actual pictures of real life automobile accident victims.

However the cynic in me says every high school and TV channel across the nation could air this video and it would not make a difference. Human nature tends to give us a very short term memory unfortunately. IMOO I doubt it would have an impact at all.

Holy cow! Was this Australia? I saw something about Victoria. Sad, it is happening all over the world. I sure read some very sad stories on this thread. I also read that some of my wonderful new friends from this forum were in bad crashes. I am so glad that you are still here and able to share these experiences. Funny thing is, I took a different way home from work today to go to a doctor's appt. The name of a road that I passed was Jack Schnell Drive. It is named after a really tough police officer who was killed one New Year's Eve when a drunk driver pulled in front of him. I thought about the police officer and how a few weeks earlier he came and talked with our driver's ed class. He was known for being a tough officer, but he left behind a family and a young child.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Wow, the effects in that video were amazing. It looked so real...this PSA would stick with you. Very well done.

babyblujems Guest
    My brother was killed by a drunk driver the day aftr I turned 18, 5 days after he turned 19. He let behind a 3 month old girl and a young wife. y brother was also in the Air Force. The tragedy when it hppened almost killed me, it tore my entire family apart and when my younger brother joined the Navy my mother was certain he would be dead soon too. The people who drink and drive never understand what could happen. And the ones who hurt or kill others never fully understand the agony the family goes through. Every single day of y life I live with what ifs- what if he hadn't gotten leave to come home, what if I hadn't begged him to come home for my birthday what if he hadn't accepted a stop in Georgia t see my uncle but no amount of what ifs are going to change anything. I still have to get up every day and know that my big brother, my hero, my protector is gone and he will never get to see his daughter grow, he'll never get to meet his three amazing nephews and it's all because someone had way too much to drink and ran him over while he was walking.
    On another note there was a commercial I saw, I can't remember if it was a DD commercial or a texting and driving or what but I clearly remember a baby passing away with it' family in a car accident in it and that always stuck with me just seeing those vacant eyes. I remember seeing it the first time and just crying for hours and staring at my son who was an infant at the time. And each subsequent time it was on just not being able to look away.

Wendy A. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Melisscious View Post
    I think this belongs here since drinking and driving is law-breaking. Someone's mom just posted this and it is really, really graphic for a commercial!

The holiday season is definitely a time when drinking occurs more often so I can understand why this is making the rounds. I like one poster on youtube's comment:

I agree. It couldn't hurt to remind people when they're purchasing alcohol that they (or someone they love) could end up in a very bad way.
    They should show this in bars... the music would catch peoples attention.

Mammy Guest
    I had this video on my mind while I was at work today. The song also went through my head on a near continuous loop. When I was a young, dumb teenager who thought I was invincible, I have driven home from keg parties and not even remember the drive home. Worse than that, I have a sister who is two years younger than I am and we actually hung out and ran around together when we were teenagers, and she a couple of other of our friends were always in the car when I drove home drunk. It makes me cringe in horror now to think about how stupid I was and how unbelievably lucky I am that I never killed anyone. I was far from being the only one who did this, it was extremely common for people who were teenagers when I was. We all went to the same parties and most of us drove home. I wouldn't do it now for a million dollars and I don't drink at all, ever anymore.

Finally, a message that delivers! Yes, it's completely graphic, and it needs to be. When I was in High School, we were shown a movie about car accidents, and they were also graphic. The only thing is, I don't remember them ever bringing up drinking and driving. It was more about paying attention when your behind the wheel. Horrible accidents, someone's foot laying on the side of the road, the windshield where a person's head went through it, we didn't even have a seat belt law back in those days. What I especially appreciate about the message is how it affects those that are left to deal with the aftermath. I think this should be shown once a year in High School, and once an hour in any establishment that sells liquor.

I'm guilty of driving while impaired, guilty as hell. And I DID get busted in 1980, got a DWI. And I'm ashamed to admit that it didn't stop me. I will say that after the DWI I never got as drunk as I did when I was charged, but looking back, there were still a few times I had no business being behind the wheel. My gosh, I shudder to think about those innocent lives I put at risk over my own stupidity! Thankfully those days have been behind me for at least the last 25 years. I saw too many people I knew lose everything because they had a few too many. Some lost their jobs, some lost their spouse, and one person lost his freedom for a few years, and can't find employment because of a few beers at Hooters.

I hope that this message is able to convey to everyone that likes to imbibe just what the risks are...
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

Quote Originally Posted by Michaela View Post
    It is a graphic PSA compared to today's standards. When I was in high school back in the 80's we were required to watch films in court before receiving our driver's license. I know the one I saw was "Wheels of Death" and it showed actual pictures of real life automobile accident victims.
    Our mandatory driver's ed classes had those too. Red Asphalt and Blood on the Highway, just to name a few.

Mammy Guest
    There have been so many horrific drunk driving crashes besides the bus crash I previously mentioned. Here is a link for a drunk driving accident that killed a woman and four children when a drunk slammed into their van as he was going the wrong way on an interstate.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,319165,00.html

There is a good thread on FAD about this crash.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...ticle-1.394195

This is a man from Indiana killed by a repeat offender drunk driver. The drunk driver got an extremely lenient sentence.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/200...driving-fatal/

Here is an entire website with crash pictures and stories.

http://www.duipictures.com/dui.htm

Great PSA! This should be show in driver's ed classes. Some of you mentioned film's you saw in high school. I can't remember the name of it but it was one that showed wrecks but the part that sticks with me is showing a car getting hit by a train and they warn you to not try and beat a train by crossing the tracks right before the arms go down or to drive around them. I saw it in '84 or '85. My boyfriend's 16 year old son said they still show that same film.

I think it should also be part of Drivers Education curriculum to show what the expense of getting your 1st DWI will cost you. In Texas, you'll be paying approximately $17000.00. By the time you get done paying an attorney, your fine, 3 years of sur-charges, 2 years of probation fee's, 3 years of SR 22 insurance (triples your current insurance rates) and court costs it pretty much adds up. AND if you get one in California, you can pretty much double that. Not to mention 100 hours of community service and AA classes. Totally not worth it. Texas also has "No Refusal" weekends, if you're stopped and refuse to take the breathalyzer, they can forcibly take a blood sample.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

Mammy Guest
    I agree with you, Bawb. It's sad to say, but I think to some people, being out that much money would make more of an impression than knowing they are endangering other people's lives when they drive drunk.

I stand corrected: "Wheels of Tragedy" (not "Death") were the films in saw in high school. Some of them can be found on youtube. Also previous posters made a good point. I do not recall any of those films addressing drinking and driving. It was basically about being an observant driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    I agree with you, Bawb. It's sad to say, but I think to some people, being out that much money would make more of an impression than knowing they are endangering other people's lives when they drive drunk.
    Sadly, Mammy, that is true. Money seems to drive (no pun intended) everything. When I was arrested I had just turned 19 (legal drinking age in Texas at that time was 18), I didn't even spend a night in jail, they had torn it down 2 weeks prior to build a new one. I was asked if I wanted to spend the night in 2 other jails, both 30 miles away from where I was currently living. I stated that I would rather not even GO to jail, I guess they took sympathy on me (definitely NOT something that wold happen today!) because I was polite and visibly scared, and drove me back to my home, informing me that if I was seen out again that night, it would be a 2nd charge. It was enough to scare me, at least for the moment.

I didn't hire a lawyer, I went to the judge and pleaded guilty, because I was. I was fined $250, given 6 months of probation at $10 a month, and my license was suspended for a year. This was around the time when they were just beginning to crack down, but it definitely wasn't severe enough. I grew up with people that drank and drove all the time, to me it wasn't that big of a deal, I'm ashamed to say. I did have to file an SR-22 for three years for insurance, that got a little expensive, but that was it.

A few years later I got married and had my first Son, and that changed my entire way of thinking. I couldn't party any more with wild abandon, I had a wife and child that were dependent on me, and that should have been the end of it. But it wasn't. A few years later I got a really good job that allowed me to meet with business partners frequently, and we often found ourselves "having a few" to make the meeting more enjoyable. Since I could walk and talk without slurring, I felt that I was perfectly capable of driving safely. I wasn't "partying", it was business, I'm wearing a suit, and we aren't typically drunks, so I was pretty sure I was safe. I couldn't have been more wrong.

I learned about a friend of a friend that killed a little girl in his neighborhood driving home from one of those "business meetings". I didn't know him personally, I know he had a beautiful wife and 2 small children of his own in a very nice home, and a six figure income. He has none of that today, he went to prison, and served 4 years of whatever sentence he was given. Wife left him, lost his home and job, as well as most of his friends, last I heard he was living with his sister, working some pain in the ass, no future job. Probably lost his accounting license too. Over a couple of beers with the boys...

I went from thinking "well, they didn't catch me tonight!" to "wow, I really put a lot of people at risk when I did that!" And that's what I will always think from now on, because so many others have lost their lives or their freedom, they ended up serving as an example to the rest of us. It's iced tea for me from now on if I go out. 3 years ago I had dental surgery, had to take pain killers, and still refused to drive, because what if??? I can't say that I won't lose my life some day to a drunken or impaired driver, but I can definitely say no one will lose their life because I am impaired. And all this was before I saw the recent video, it definitely has an impact.

The sad thing is, as long as establishments that serve liquor have parking spaces, there will always be people that go out and make stupid decisions, and end up ruining a lot of lives... All the rest of us can do is learn from it!
    --William Shakespeare!

When I was young, everyone I hung with drank and drove, I lost a lot of friends. Graphic wrecks, body parts everywhere, and I was a teen.

I was very lucky, a lot of close calls.

DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE, DON'T FUCKING DO IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Leasie View Post

DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE, DON'T FUCKING DO IT.
    THAT should be their campaign slogan! I could see James Gandolfini in Tony Soprano character being their spokesman.
    Last edited by Dangitbawb; 12-16-2012 at 04:34 PM.
    --William Shakespeare!

Flowergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaela View Post
    However the cynic in me says every high school and TV channel across the nation could air this video and it would not make a difference.
    This. We had to watch graphic videos in Driver's Education class before we could get our license... They were of REAL mutilated bodies of people who drove drunk and/or were in automobile accidents. My mom had to watch the videos when she was in school.

They sit mangled cars on the front lawn at high schools. Are people still driving drunk?... Yes. Are people still texting while driving?... Yes.

Does anyone ever get one DUI?... Heck no.

Mammy Guest
    I graduated high school in 1986. We didn't even have driver's education classes and never watched any of these films that some of you have seen. My oldest niece goes to the same high school that I graduated from and they STILL don't have a driver's education class. How pathetic is that? My husband, son, and I live in a neighboring county and my son has driver's education classes, but he hasn't seen any of these films either. Now I'm really curious about the films. I do agree that the films or mangled vehicles may shock some students, but the majority of them would still be thinking "That stuff only happens to other people, it won't happen to me or my friends."

Flowergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    ...but the majority of them would still be thinking "That stuff only happens to other people, it won't happen to me or my friends."
    It's unbelievable how careless people are when it comes to driving. Not just teenagers either, I've had adults that make me wonder how they ever got a driver's license. I can understand a teenager having their whole life going on inside their head, so they act aloof... I can't believe adults would be that careless.

I graduated in '93, the videos we watched were filmed back in the 50s, possibly 60s, judging by the vehicles. My mom will still bring up something she saw in one (she refuses to drive).

Flowergrrl Guest
    Here's an example of one- http://archive.org/details/Signal301959

Quote Originally Posted by Flowergrrl View Post
    Here's an example of one- http://archive.org/details/Signal301959
    Omg yes! That's not the one I remember seeing but definitely along the sames lines. And I had forgotten the Ohio State Police were the ones that started the films. For that time: groundbreaking.

BTW: Geeze those cars and cyclists sure zip right through that stop sign don't they?

Off to finish watching the video. Thanks for the link.

Flowergrrl Guest
    I swear, they never even slowed down!... Unreal. You're very welcome! There's another one called 'Mechanized Death'- I can't find it in its entirety though. Their later videos had staged enactments... Then they would conclude with graphic accident scenes.

Here's a better link, it shows the whole 27 minute video, instead of having to hunt down the second part like I did.

http://archive.org/details/0869_Signal_30_07_00_59_00

It's amazing what technology these days can do and how it connects us! It really says something about how great the people on this forum and in this community are that they can share their experiences and have such great exchanges about something so unfortunate and common.

I myself lost a close family member to a drunk driver when I was young and they were old.

I agree with everyone on here who said "preventable" when they spoke about an accident/incident. My condolences to anyone who has been touched by this.

My apologies if this caused anyone any distress by it's graphic content!

NOVSTORM Guest
    One of my husbands died at 26. He was drunk with a stranger in the car with him. We never did figure out what really why he had a Biker in his car, but he was really drunk and he went off the road into the damn and killed the biker and himself. It was a closed casket. He had just come back from Viet Nam the year before and the drinking was out of control. So our daughter grew up without her dad. My SIL had a brother that was with his buddies and got drunk and leaned against the rear car door and it flew open and one of the guys managed to grab him and try to get the car to stop but by the time they stopped it was too late, the head and hands were gone..another closed casket and he was 28.. I stopped messing with the booze at 27 or abouts. No more BS driving plastered and taking other people lives in my hands. I had had enough of closed caskets. BTW they do not have Drivers Ed here any more. You have to send the kids to a driving school now for 30 hours I think it is.

Wow. Talk about getting your point across. Very effective.

Slightly OT but we could use adverts like this for Cellphone drivers. As a pedestrian in a big city, a number of times I've been startled by a driver not paying attention and almost hit.

Every single time they were texting or talking on the phone. It scares the hell out of me.
    Last edited by beep; 01-06-2013 at 09:17 PM.
    "Death has come to your little town, Sheriff." -Dr. Loomis

3 teenage guys in my house = required viewing tonight.

RebelRocker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Our mandatory driver's ed classes had those too. Red Asphalt and Blood on the Highway, just to name a few.

red asphalt will always stick with me. when they are scraping those person brains up with a snow shovel, omg. that imagine is forever stuck in my head.

My kids' HS does a mock accident right before the proms complete with using actual students, destroyed cars, the fire dept shows up, 10 cop cars & a hearse at the end. They even put a casket in the gym with flowers, large pics of the students and their sport jerseys & a receiving line with the actual parents of the "deceased" student. The students that play the role of the deceased are not allowed in school that day or to answer their phones, social media the whole day etc...Even my macho son was near tears when he came home. Very effective.

Our high school had this thing where the students in the MADD program, would randomly select students out of class and they give you a black balloon and I think a sign that said something to do with not driving drunk. And thus, you were to sit in class and other students were supposed to ignore you like you were not there, nor you were allowed to speak/answer questions. I was a victim once.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Djen Guest
    Holy Wow! That was scary. Isn't there one floating around that's very similar, but is about texting? I swear I've seen it. It's got teen girls in it... (I'm sure that will help track it down.)

Here it is:

These accidents, that are completely preventable, make me SOOOOO angry and upset. Driving is dangerous enough on its own. Wielding 2 ton death machines in all kinds of weather, dealing with stuff in the road and other drivers. Why drink? Why text? Grrrrrrrr!

I saw this video/thread several months ago and remembered it yesterday with all the St. Patty's celebrations going on last night and today. Posted it to my social media.
    Point being: thank you for posting this here!
    And happy St. Patrick's Day.

That was very sobering. First time I´ve seen it. Wish they´d take drunk driving seriously here. Two years ago a guy got drunk, and fell asleep, plowing into a crowd of people waiting for a bus. Killed 17 people, including a pregnant women and several children. Got 12 years. There is a picture with one of the victims lying dead on the pavement. Horrible.
    Last edited by Pachamama; 03-19-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Mammy Guest
    The guy who was driving drunk and going the wrong way on an interstate and hit a church bus loaded with mostly children on their way home from Kings Island served nine years and some change for killing 27 people. This happened in Carrollton, Kentucky on May 14, 1988. Nobody on the bus had any injuries from the crash itself, but the truck hit the front of the bus, a hole was pierced in the gas tank, and the crash damage smashed the door shut. All of the victims burned to death as they tried to escape the back door of the bus. The burning seat cushions caused thick toxic smoke and temperatures of 2000 degrees in one to two minutes. The youngest victim was only ten years old.

I remember passing that area on the freeway Mammy and thinking about those poor, poor people. Heading home from a day of enjoyment, and then gone. Horrible.
    And just 9 years? Good Lord.

Mammy Guest
    I'm sorry, I told you wrong. He served 10 years and 11 months. He was only sentenced to 16 years to begin with and earned time off of his sentence for good behavior. He still lives in the same county, about ten miles from the crash site. He married the woman who he was dating at the time of the crash, works at a factory, lives in a modular home on his parent's property, and lives a quiet life in obscurity. He refuses all interviews and hasn't spoken publically since his prison release. Any time a reporter has tried to come to his home to speak to him, they are told by family members that he refuses to speak about the crash and for them to get off of the property and stay off of it. All of this was revealed in a news article several years ago by talking to people who knew him. I've been by that spot in the road a few times, too, and it's hard to imagine what a horrible scene that crash had to be. People stopped and tried their best to save the lives of the people on the bus and pull them to safety and they did manage to save several people, but the heat eventually kept them away. It must still haunt them to this day.