Thread: Shooting at Clackamas Town Cente Mallr, Portland Oregon

harlequin_clown Guest

Shooting at Clackamas Town Cente Mallr, Portland Oregon

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamasc..._shooting.html

This is where I'm from, it is FRIGHTENING! So far 2 are dead

That's like way South Portland. Isn't it kinda upscale there?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Do mind the pedestrian, Richard."
    - Hyacinth Bucket

Mammy Guest
    What do people get out of doing shit like this? I swear we aren't safe anywhere. This shooting is just past the five year mark of the Nebraska shooting by Robert Hawkins on December 5, 2007. It's scary how many psychos are running around in society.

harlequin_clown Guest
    Southeast Portland? No, not upscale, but it does have some decent areas, not much though.

They have now confirmed the shooter is dead, I'll brief you after the 6:30 press briefing. My dad's in the media, so I will know a bit more as we go.

I've never been to that mall. I go there a few times a year but I go to the Lloyd Center mall. That just seems like such an un-Portland thing to have happen though if that makes any sense.
    Last edited by MiraculousMandarin; 12-12-2012 at 06:55 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - Hyacinth Bucket

823bonbon Guest
    Been to Clackamas many times; we were going shopping there next week, reconsidering that

MinLynn Guest
    And my 12 year old thinks I'm the Queen Bitch because I won't allow him to go to the mall alone! HAH! THIS SHIT is why!

harlequin_clown Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MiraculousMandarin View Post
    I've never been to that mall. I go there a few times a year but I go to the Lloyd Center mall. That just seems like such an in-Portland thing to have happen though if that makes any sense.
    I think I may have been there once or twice, but I really preferred to steer clear of that area of Portland. I'll be honest, it's not the safest. I always went to Washington Square, or Pioneer Place. Now that we live in Eugene, I go to Valley River Center. I feel VERY safe here, although I live RIGHT down the street from Thurston High School, where Kip Kinkel did his doings .....

harlequin_clown Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MinLynn View Post
    And my 12 year old thinks I'm the Queen Bitch because I won't allow him to go to the mall alone! HAH! THIS SHIT is why!
    I have a 12 year old too, and NO WAY can he go to the mall without me or my husband. I will allow him and my 14 y/o son to split from us, but they HAVE to stay together, and when I call on the phone you BETTER pick it up, because I want to know where you are

Mammy Guest
    Kip Kinkel, now there's a blast from the past.

Wendy A. Guest
    God! What the hell is wrong with people to make them do this shit? Ok, so ya wanna kill yourself... go do it! Don't take other innocent people with you! It's just not safe anywhere anymore!

harlequin_clown Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    Kip Kinkel, now there's a blast from the past.
    Yes indeed, my son will be going to Thurston High next year. He has already asked me about it

At least you have math on your side in the respect that something like that happening again at the same school is somewhat unlikely. It should be interesting to find out what kind of lasting symptoms are occurring though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - Hyacinth Bucket

desertangel Guest
    The shooter was male and died of a self-inflicted gunshot. He was wearing a white mask. One female victim is at Oregon Health Sciences University hospital in serious condition. Two dead, their sex is undisclosed at this time. The gun was an automatic. It jammed as the shooter tried to take a third and fourth victim. There was one report of a magazine laying on the ground. It happened outside of Macy's and near the food court. The mall was locked down. The police are saying everyone did exactly as they should have, run or hide. Store owners locked their front doors, etc. Police went thru the entire mall looking for any other shooters and victims. Not much more known at this time as the two that were killed relatives are still pending notification. Didn't read the link above, this is from news reports on TV and on the radio this evening.

I'll tell you, this just smacks of a domestic dispute. I would guess the two dead are male and female and that the shooter is an ex. Woman in the hospital is probably a relative. Not that I like to speculate on things like this, but there's an awful lot of that kind of thing goes on around here. This is getting so much attention because it was at a crowded mall at Christmas time and the shooter looked as though he wasn't gonna stop with just the two. Now I will be somewhat surprised if I am wrong on this.

Mostly this kind of thing happens at the Lloyd Center and it's usually gang-related, again - gets very little media attention. Clackamas is one of the the upscale malls in the area. Bridgeport is probably THE upscale mall in the area. Lloyd Center is in a bad part of town, for sure. By the way, Clackamas Town Center Mall ice rink is where Tawnya Harding skates.

I shy away from malls on Christmas and have for years. I also won't go to a wildly popular movie when it first opens now. Shit, man... WTF.

My heart goes out to my neighbors to the north.

harlequin_clown Guest
    I think I confused Clackamas with Lloyd center. I stand corrected. But you're right about Bridgeport. In fact, I believe you're kicked out if you aren't carrying an iphone and a starbucks :P

desertangel Guest
    Ah yes, Pioneer Place... forgot about that one. It's likely more upscale than Bridgeport just based on jewelry stores alone lol! Lloyd Center is definitely the armpit of malls, maybe even the crotch. We used to go there as kids because they had a Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor.

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    What do people get out of doing shit like this? I swear we aren't safe anywhere. This shooting is just past the five year mark of the Nebraska shooting by Robert Hawkins on December 5, 2007. It's scary how many psychos are running around in society.
    You are so right Mammy! Women are crazy to walk alone. People are crazier than ever! I can't get over people
    going to a bank at night to draw money out. That is crazy! People get attacked or shot doing that.

And man, I really wanted to move to Oregon someday...I guess not now.

Quote Originally Posted by desertangel View Post
    Ah yes, Pioneer Place... forgot about that one. It's likely more upscale than Bridgeport just based on jewelry stores alone lol! Lloyd Center is definitely the armpit of malls, maybe even the crotch. We used to go there as kids because they had a Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor.
    Lol That mall (Lloyd Center) is right across the street from the hotel that I stay at when I go to Portland. The hotel itself is ok (right next to the free rail), and I haven't had any problems at the mall, but I definitely would not walk a single block away from that hotel in any direction by myself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - Hyacinth Bucket

Quote Originally Posted by desertangel View Post

As in the plane crash place?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Kitty Bac Guest
    The domestic violence angle hadn't occurred to me as a possibility, even as I wondered how the shooter only managed to get 3 targets. Could be that you are correct!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Bac View Post
    The domestic violence angle hadn't occurred to me as a possibility, even as I wondered how the shooter only managed to get 3 targets. Could be that you are correct!
    His gun jammed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Kitty Bac Guest
    But he still took his own life... so - another gun? or got the jammed gun unjammed?

Doesn't the gun ALWAYS jam and ruin your shooting spree?!

Bidmor Guest
    Here's a pic and name of the alleged shooter, who was 22. The fatalities are a 54 year old woman and a 45 year old man. This story states the shooter stole an AR15 from an acquaintance. The rifle jammed while he was trying to shoot two other people, but he managed to get it working again before he offed himself.

The story also states the shooter entered the second level of Macy's, walked briskly through the store then out into the mall where he started firing randomly. Eventually he fled down stairs to a small room where he was found dead.

Sounds like his programming worked.

http://news.yahoo.com/police-ore-mal...3Rpb25z;_ylv=3
    Last edited by Bidmor; 12-12-2012 at 03:46 PM.

This is just plain sad; my heart goes out to the families of the deceased. Why is it that in most of these types of events the shooter(s) are cowards who kill themselves rather than face the consequences? I never understood that.

desertangel Guest
    The local news this evening is making it out to be totally random... none of the victims knew the shooter and the shooter didn't know any of victims. He had recently moved into a house with two roommates and was seen the day of the shooting, exiting the house in a hurry and carelessly throwing his guitar case in the back of his pickup truck. Also that he recently sold many of his possessions and was supposed to have gone to Hawaii a few days ago, but contacted the people he was going to visit saying he missed his flight. His roommates aren't talking with the media. People who knew him said it is totally out of character. His mother issued a statement via a friend saying she is stunned, etc. as people always are of shooters. I don't know if we'll hear more as the days go by or if it's going to pretty much die-off here.

So I may have been wrong with my domestic prediction, however, now I am curious whether the guy was being treated for depression or mental issues and wondering if he was on any medication. I thought the same thing about the jammed gun... I know nothing about guns, so don't know if that is fairly common for the kind of gun it was, but if I were planning such a dastardly deed, I would at least try to ensure that my gun was up for the task. Then again, he stole the thing, so it sounds to me like the dude just came un-hinged.

I was born and raised in SoCalif and have lived in Oregon over 25 years. With all due respect, I have never felt entirely safe here and I don't know if it's because it's not where I grew up, but there has always seemed to be something kind of creepy and wrong about a lot of things around here. I practice way more personal safety here than I ever did in SoCali... go figure. Me thinkest lots of rain does not make an adequate environment for many people.

Rhonda Guest
    We live by the mall in West Linn, Oregon. My daughter was on the phone with me when the shooting was going on. She was hysterical. She seems to be doing well and keeps saying that it's "surreal". The Today Show, Good Morning America, and Anderson Cooper called her. She declined to comment to them, but gave out her friend's phone number who went on the Today Show this morning and talked about what she saw. Her name is Mira Sytsma. You can see her interview on-line here: http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/tod...2131/#50172131

One of the victims was a father from our little city outside Portland, and there were tons of my kids friends at the mall. Thankfully, other than the mental issues, everyone is safe. Here is an article about the shooting. http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamasc...ooting_31.html If you look at the map, my daughter was about to get on the escalator that goes up in the white area to the food court. It is the white outline between the 2 victim dots. She would have been right in the line of fire, but turned around and ran the other way. Because she was directly under where he was shooting in the open area she said it was deafening.

I kept telling her to hide and I had 911 on my office phone. She kept telling me that there were so many shots she couldn't count them and there must be tons of people that have been killed. (This is while she was trying to get out of the mall) I wanted her to hide, but she used to work at Victoria Secret at the mall and knew her way around it - and she said she thought she could get out. Thankfully she did and we are all realizing now how close to being in the line of fire she was. She gave a couple of statements and then stopped because she didn't see anything and her girlfriends did.

desertangel Guest
    What a horrifying experience Rhonda, I am so glad your daughter is okay! I can imagine the gut-wrenching feelings you must have had during that phone call. You never really thing how deep the emotional wounds from something like this can be until it hits that close to home. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Rhonda Guest
    Thanks for the good thoughts.

When my daughter (Isabel) was running out of the mall, she ended up running out with a friend she was on the tennis team with and my son (Isabel's twin brother) was on ASB with in high school. The girl (her name is Katie) was freaking out with Isabel and kept saying that she was worried about her dad who was near the food court. My daughter just found out tonight that the man killed was her dad (they have different last names) and that has been the hardest thing for her to deal with so far. So sad!!

desertangel Guest
    Oh Rhonda... Random acts of violence are the worst. There's something about "for every action there's an opposite and equal reaction" that helps resolve things in the mind. My high school boyfriend was shot in the face right in front of me and nearly died. He got into an argument with a complete stranger and the guy had a gun. That's one thing, but to be sitting in the food court at a mall and, well... it's just going to be hard and it's going to take a long time. For that reason, I was hoping this was not a random senseless act and my heart hurts that in fact it was.

I didn't even know about this girl until today. I cant believe how weird and unbelievably sad it is. I seriously wanted to cry when I read this.

SELLWOOD, Ore. - A woman who was not injured during the mass shooting at the Clackamas Town Center last December but who became mysteriously ill afterwards has died, according to posts on a Facebook page dedicated to her recovery.
    See whole story here>> clicky
    http://www.katu.com/news/local/Posts...191283831.html
    Last edited by MiraculousMandarin; 02-19-2013 at 01:45 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - Hyacinth Bucket

Rhonda Guest
    Yeah, she seemed to be a really good person. There always sems to be people and things associated with this shooting in the news, so it never really leaves anyone's mind here in Portland. I can't even imagine what those poor folks in Newtown will be dealing with for years to come. (Not to mention the families directly effected by the deaths.)

Bunnygirl12 Guest
    The mall still has a creepy air about it...I went last month and won't be going back for awhile - made me uncomfortable. I was following the Vanessa Ogden Recovery Facebook page all along and was devastated when she took a turn and died. So sad.

Bunnygirl12 Guest
    Looks like the shooters Aunt who raised him, has died of natural causes...she was only 50 - yikes.