Thread: Boxer Hector "Macho" Camacho shot, in critical condition

Somewhere twixt San Antonio & Corpus Christi

Boxer Hector "Macho" Camacho shot, in critical condition

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

American Progress

Mr International Guest
    Brutal.

I think they announced his death last night. I wonder if he was the target or caught in the crossfire.

Tiger Guest

The driver of the car died instantly. As for the boxer, I think you are right. He is clinging to life. If he survives, I can only imagine his quality of life. With several shots to the face and neck, it will take a miracle for him to walk again.

Wikipedia needs to get it's shit together. If you look him up there you'll see that they have that he IS a professional boxer next to a date of death. IS is reserved for the living over there. WAS reserved for the dead. Someone over there getting a little too edit happy.

I`m sorry to hear this. I sat with him for a few hours once, strangely enough while I was doing the broadcast engineering at a Detroit Red Wings game. He had some very overdressed hot chick with him, who looked bored to death sitting among the cables and audio boards. He seemed very interested. I was kind of busy, and not exactly sure why they sat him down next to me, but he was nice enough, and was unobtrusive enough not to get on my nerves while I was trying to work. Hope he makes it.

AussieBec Guest
    Holy crap

Neat that you got to meet him, Pacha

And no major news source can make up it's mind whether he's dead or alive as they often can't when someone's declared brain dead, taken off life support but the body is still alive as is the case with him at this moment. That could change at anytime ofcourse. All if them wanting to be the first to report the death. Nothing compares to the media when it comes to seeking attention of the "we were first" variety and completely dehumanizing the individual, I always say. Damned idiots with their me firstness, lol.

I did find a viideo of him being transported to the hospital though. If the embed doesn't stick (odd source and all), just go to liveleak and plug his name in. It'll come right up.

He was a great fighter, I watched a lot of his bouts.

They're saying little brain activity; and that his heart stopped at some point; so who knows.

Best to you, Mr. Camacho.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Pryncis Guest
    just got the death beep, he's been pronounced brain dead by doctors.

AllyTheHag Guest
    Yeah, Hector was declared brain dead at ten o'clock this morning, according to a press conference given by the hospital's medical director (I can link to video of the press conference, but it's in Spanish). He's being kept on life support until tomorrow (Friday) morning, to give time for his son to arrive from New York and for the family to decide if they are going to donate the organs.

R.I.P. "Macho." I always loved you.

Something I find interesting about the circumstances of his death is that Hector was involved in an eerily similar incident in February of last year, also in Puerto Rico. He was supposedly picking up a friend from a bar when two armed individuals approached his car from the passenger side. Hector took off, and the assailants fired three shots at the vehicle, but Hector managed to get away unharmed. Oddly enough he didn't report the incident to the police and just drove home. Later he said he figured it was a random attempted car jacking and the people involved didn't recognize him/didn't know who he was. I don't know if the "friend" he was picking up that time was Alberto Yamil (the same friend who died in this shooting), but kind of makes me wonder now.
    Last edited by AllyTheHag; 11-22-2012 at 12:58 PM.

ryanolivia Guest
    You know I have never had people randomly shooting at my car. Perhaps, it is because I have never driven my car with 10 bags of coke, in my lap.

Bummer. I truly do feel for his family and I hope they decide to donate his organs. It is a waste either way but it would be beyond tragic if no good comes from this.

Somewhere twixt San Antonio & Corpus Christi
    According to this report, his mother is removing him from life support.
    http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/story...rt-says-mother
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

American Progress

Quote Originally Posted by ryanolivia View Post
    You know I have never had people randomly shooting at my car. Perhaps, it is because I have never driven my car with 10 bags of coke, in my lap.

Bummer. I truly do feel for his family and I hope they decide to donate his organs. It is a waste either way but it would be beyond tragic if no good comes from this.
    I agree with you. While I am sad for his family, he wasn't exactly an angel. Sounds like he had a lot of issues with the law and drugs. But maybe something good can come of this if his organs can be donated. It's tragic no matter how one looks at it.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

According to Yahoo, Hector has passed away after being taken off life support. RIP
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

TheMysterian Guest
    Former boxing champ Hector 'Macho' Camacho dies in Puerto Rico after being removed from life support

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/mo...#ixzz2D9ljNF7i

Mammy Guest
    Time to move the thread?

ryanolivia Guest
    He died without the organs being removed. He died of a heart attack and the organs were too damaged to be harvested. Bummer.

From what I am reading, he was an addict that liked beating on women and children. While I feel for his family, I don't feel his death is any great loss, to the world.

simon69 Guest

Mammy Guest
    Now, RyanOlivia, you should know by now that it doesn't matter what kind of person you are as long as you are a gifted athlete. Your fans will always make excuses for your shitty behavior. Just ask Michael Vick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    Now, RyanOlivia, you should know by now that it doesn't matter what kind of person you are as long as you are a gifted athlete. Your fans will always make excuses for your shitty behavior. Just ask Michael Vick.
    sad but true.

I started a death thread for him, so they can lock this one. I think that's what they usually do.

So true!!! Don't even get me started about Michael Vick. Wish we could start a death thread on him. *Oops. Did I just "say" that outloud???*

melody Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyTheHag View Post
    Yeah, Hector was declared brain dead at ten o'clock this morning, according to a press conference given by the hospital's medical director (I can link to video of the press conference, but it's in Spanish). He's being kept on life support until tomorrow (Friday) morning, to give time for his son to arrive from New York and for the family to decide if they are going to donate the organs.

R.I.P. "Macho." I always loved you.

Something I find interesting about the circumstances of his death is that Hector was involved in an eerily similar incident in February of last year, also in Puerto Rico. He was supposedly picking up a friend from a bar when two armed individuals approached his car from the passenger side. Hector took off, and the assailants fired three shots at the vehicle, but Hector managed to get away unharmed. Oddly enough he didn't report the incident to the police and just drove home. Later he said he figured it was a random attempted car jacking and the people involved didn't recognize him/didn't know who he was. I don't know if the "friend" he was picking up that time was Alberto Yamil (the same friend who died in this shooting), but kind of makes me wonder now.
    I was gonna say link it and I would translate but I guess I'm a little late.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    I started a death thread for him, so they can lock this one. I think that's what they usually do.
    I looked for this thread earlier in the week and couldn't find it and was gonna create a new one but then I thought it wouldn't be big news worth putting here so I didn't.
    Guess I didn't know how big he was even though I lived in PR for 20yrs...

Jacksmum Guest
    Exactly - I for one will NEVER EVER forgive Michael Vick!