Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toddler Killed by Exhibit at Pittsburgh Zoo

babyblujems Guest
    My child hating (other then our beautiful, amazing son) of a husband even said he, not knowing this child, would have jumped in after him. He said even if there was nothing he could do at least he might be able to somehow let the kid know someone cared while he was dying.

Thank God you did what you did or we could be reading about him here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wendy A. Guest
    I too think maybe she did it on purpose. Give her a lie detector test.

Oogie Boogie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stay_zee View Post
    Of course she was furious, and cursed me out and told me it was none of my business.
    Are we allowed to swear here? If so, WHAT THE FUCK is wrong with that woman?!!?

Wendy A. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Oogie Boogie View Post
    Are we allowed to swear here? If so, WHAT THE FUCK is wrong with that woman?!!?
    Yes we can... if not, I'd been banned long ago.
    and I second that, what the fuck is wrong with that woman?

RebelRocker Guest
    its the whole it wont happen to me thing, at least i think so.

Unidentified Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelRocker View Post
    its the whole it wont happen to me thing, at least i think so.

There were warning signs. She herself didn't get up there for a better look, she put the poor tot up there and apparently didn't hold on. It reminds me of those people I saw climbing over the guardian barriers of the grand canyon - again with clearly posted signs saying not to. The idiot factor, I'm guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by stay_zee View Post
    The last time I attended our local zoo, almost the same thing happened. We have a beautiful polar bear exhibit which has glass viewing on the bottom and a four foot fence at the top viewing platform. I went up to the top and found a two year old standing on the concrete pilar of the fence post. there was no safety device to protect him from falling into the polar bear exhibit. His mother was standing back away from him texting. I grabbed him and put him on the ground and proceeded to tell her what I thought of her parenting, scolding her quite forcefully. Of course she was furious, and cursed me out and told me it was none of my business.
    I would not change a thing about the way I acted. It would have been horrifying if he had fallen.
    Agreed! You absolutely did the right thing. I would have done the same thing and definitely gave a piece of my mind to the mother. Kudos to you for having some common sense!

My grandpa always used to say "Common sense ain't so common".

This story is all kinds of upsetting, especially as some of you have pointed out 'did she do it on purpose?'

Quote Originally Posted by Unidentified View Post
    There were warning signs. She herself didn't get up there for a better look, she put the poor tot up there and apparently didn't hold on. It reminds me of those people I saw climbing over the guardian barriers of the grand canyon - again with clearly posted signs saying not to. The idiot factor, I'm guessing.
    we get that all the time at Niagara Falls, too. idiots.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bidmor Guest
    An adult disregarding warning signs and common sense in setting like we're discussing and falling is one thing but this imbecile, who happened to give birth, directly caused the death of her child. I'll repeat it, she should be charged with the heaviest felony possible.

Nelliebean Guest
    The D.A. isn't going to press charges.
    Last edited by Nelliebean; 11-09-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Wendy A. Guest
    Here's a pic of the actual exhibit platform he fell from. They say he bounced off that net. Where did he fall in from? It almost looks like there's no fencing in the area straight above the plexiglass? Surely not?

Last edited by Wendy A.; 11-09-2012 at 05:48 PM.

Nelliebean Guest
    It was an open area above the net. The stupid mother had him standing on the edge.

Wendy A. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    It was an open area above the net. The stupid mother had him standing on the edge.
    That's NUTS! All way around! Why would they have that open? And why would you put your kid there, and thirdly.. it's not that far down.. why would you not go in after him?

PurrPurr Guest
    The more I read about this story, the more questions than answers are raised.

I really believe it was a very stupid mistake made by the boy's mother. But, I don't understand why she didn't jump in and try to save him. She will have to live with it for the rest of her life.

Wendy A. Guest
    Its just INSANE that that was open like that, and even worse that the mother put him up there, let go and didn't jump in. I'm dumbfounded by all this.

Djen Guest
    I have 5 kids, and I have totally held a kid up on a fence or wall so they could see better. But never anywhere that looked that dicey, and never without holding on to them for dear life!

I can't imagine setting a toddler up on something that high and not keeping a hold on him. Unless it was her first day at being a mom, she should have had some idea what the kid was capable of. That's just really odd.

I don't think she did it on purpose, I just don't think she's very smart. This poor kid probably never had a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Djen View Post
    I have 5 kids, and I have totally held a kid up on a fence or wall so they could see better. But never anywhere that looked that dicey, and never without holding on to them for dear life!

I can't imagine setting a toddler up on something that high and not keeping a hold on him. Unless it was her first day at being a mom, she should have had some idea what the kid was capable of. That's just really odd.

I don't think she did it on purpose, I just don't think she's very smart. This poor kid probably never had a chance.
    Thank goodness for reasonable adults -- such as yourself. What the woman did was incredibly irresponsible, but I can't make the mental leap that she intended her son to die. I also don't fault the DA for not charging her. If stupidity were a crime, we'd all serve prison sentences at some time or another.

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KCBee View Post
    If stupidity were a crime, we'd all serve prison sentences at some time or another.
    True!

Djen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KCBee View Post
    Thank goodness for reasonable adults -- such as yourself. What the woman did was incredibly irresponsible, but I can't make the mental leap that she intended her son to die. I also don't fault the DA for not charging her. If stupidity were a crime, we'd all serve prison sentences at some time or another.
    Oh yeah. I wouldn't have made it to childbearing age before I'd have been tossed in the Big House for life! I can't believe some of the stuff I did and lived to tell the tale!

after seeing that picture of the platform, I feel pretty differently. I'm pretty horrified at the zoo.
    any two year old can squirm out of a tight grim in half a second. a cheap piece of plexiglass or fence would have prevented this.
    I can't even fathom how they have it open like that. she wasn't perching him up on a fence. there was no freaking fence. unreal.
    that poor baby and poor mom.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nelliebean Guest
    It was 12 feet high...much higher than the canine inhabitans could possibly jump.

Wendy A. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    after seeing that picture of the platform, I feel pretty differently. I'm pretty horrified at the zoo.
    any two year old can squirm out of a tight grim in half a second. a cheap piece of plexiglass or fence would have prevented this.
    I can't even fathom how they have it open like that. she wasn't perching him up on a fence. there was no freaking fence. unreal.
    that poor baby and poor mom.
    That's what I'm having a problem with too. Nelliebean had to confirm what I thought I was seeing. I doesn't seem right that the entire side there is open! It's hard to wrap your head around.

heaven01uk Guest
    I'm still standing by first thoughts thats this mother is a fucking moron.

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PurrPurr View Post
    I know, my worst fears were confirmed. They shot the most aggressive dog and the exhibit is now boarded up.
    When my son was a child he absolutely loved this type of wild dog. He is an adult now and he told me that
    if an adult would have jumped in to rescue the child the dogs would have backed off. He claims they are afraid of
    adult humans. I thought the dogs would tear anyone up.

Wendy A. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonRabbit View Post
    When my son was a child he absolutely loved this type of wild dog. He is an adult now and he told me that
    if an adult would have jumped in to rescue the child the dogs would have backed off. He claims they are afraid of
    adult humans. I thought the dogs would tear anyone up.
    Wow! That make's this story that much more sadder. Damn! It still blows my mind that nobody jumped in there for him.

RebelRocker Guest
    i just cant wrap my brain around why a mom would place her kid on a railing like that. i guess im too paranoid, i would have lifted my kids up to see the dogs but i would not have placed them on a railing like that out of fear they could fall.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRocker View Post
    i just cant wrap my brain around why a mom would place her kid on a railing like that. i guess im too paranoid, i would have lifted my kids up to see the dogs but i would not have placed them on a railing like that out of fear they could fall.
    there was no railing. there was a straight drop down to a net he apparently bounced out of.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RebelRocker Guest
    plantform/wood rail thing.

Wow-that exhibit looks a little unkempt to me.

However, when I took my kids were that small and wanted a closer look, I picked them up and held them. I always considered the railings to be "off limits", especially when it looks like that.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Kitty Bac Guest
    There has been such an outpouring of love in this case here in Pittsburgh. Donations of toy trucks in Maddox's memory are overwhelming the funeral home, the church that held his funeral, and the police station. I do believe this was an accident, and this mother will suffer the rest of her life. But I don't want to blame the child, but rather grieve his loss. He was such a cutie with his little nerdy glasses. Poor, sweet boy. And yes, I bought a truck.

RebelRocker Guest
    who is blaming the 2 year old? if its anyone fault its the mother.
    Last edited by RebelRocker; 11-12-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Kitty Bac Guest
    I misspoke.

For the record, I'm glad the remaining dogs will not be put down, but I'm ok with the one who wouldn't leave the (dead) boy having been killed.

It seems fairly certain to me that the Pittsburgh Zoo is incapable of handling this type of animal since the exhibit doesn't even look safe for children or stupid adults, and these dogs have gotten out before - not into an area where guests were, but still.

Random thoughts.

Mammy Guest
    Hello, Kitty Bac, and welcome to the forum. I'm glad this little boy had so many people who showed their feelings for his loss. Poor little guy, what a horrible way to die.

Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post
    Wow-that exhibit looks a little unkempt to me.

However, when I took my kids were that small and wanted a closer look, I picked them up and held them. I always considered the railings to be "off limits", especially when it looks like that.
    I'm was so paranoid I didn't even bring my kids to the damn zoo...forget picking them up to see better. Well...maybe the fact I fucking hate the zoo with a passion was the real reason. Nature/animal lover...aren't I?

Mammy Guest
    Obviously what the Mom did was stupid, but I don't think it was done on purpose. There are ways to get rid of your kid if you're so inclined that are much less public or gruesome. She could have just left him to broil in a hot car like other parents have done since they always seem to get away with that anyway.

RebelRocker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    Obviously what the Mom did was stupid, but I don't think it was done on purpose. There are ways to get rid of your kid if you're so inclined that are much less public or gruesome. She could have just left him to broil in a hot car like other parents have done since they always seem to get away with that anyway.

maybe we can discuss it in another thread but those cases where the people leave their kids in the car always bothered me.

Mammy Guest
    There are already some existing threads about the subject, but I can't remember their specific title. It seems like there weren't as many cases this year as usual and I'm so glad. What a horrific way to die and the parents usually don't get any punishment at all, which I think is ridiculous. If they can remember their cellphone, they should be able to remember their kid. There have been cases that I thought the child was left in the car intentionally and the parent got away with it.

RebelRocker Guest
    i just dont see how someone can accidentally forget their child in the car. you seen the child get in, how do you forget to let them out?

41. 11-13-2012, 05:38 AM

Kitty Bac Guest
    I've seen nothing about this in the newspaper, but... another mother in the family with a little boy about the same age (Maddox's cousin?) was perched up there first. Maddox was raised up second, but fell immediately. From all newspaper/TV news reports that I have seen, the mother was NOT holding him. He was placed and fell in the same instant...

So what if there wasn't plexiglass up? It is a zoo and common sense has to prevail. Remember Darwin is our friend.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Kitty Bac Guest
    So what if there wasn't plexiglass up? It is a zoo and common sense has to prevail. Remember Darwin is our friend.
    Well, then, shouldn't it have been the mother who fell/died rather than her son? She's the one responsible.

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    "Darwin is our friend" Miho~ I'm turning that into a button!

I was referring to this comment from CBS news site which made me think perhaps the media may have it wrong :-

Everyone needs to get the facts straight before condemning anyone - This comes straight from a source close to the family. The mother DID NOT set him on the railing. She was holding him so he could see and he JUMPED out of her arms. She was NOT dangling him over the edge by any means. It apparently happened so quickly. It is often easy to pass judgement about people(mother of child) because of what the media had portrayed about the situation. It is also very easy to be mislead by the media. Sadly I am afraid that is what is happening here. After reading a tremendous load of negative comments... enough is enough. Shut your mouths until you have the FACTS. Those who are posting those comments are ignorant of the facts in the situation.

I have read other comments from various papers where people have said they were close to the family,and they say she didn't just leave him free standing .Apparently they have footage so the truth will come out eventually, but what a sad case.

luvmypeanut Guest
    I am still trying to get past why it is that stupid people do stupid things around wild animals with innocent children and those wild animals and innocent children have to pay the price............I just can't yet........

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Bac View Post
    Well, then, shouldn't it have been the mother who fell/died rather than her son? She's the one responsible.
    That would have been ideal, but her genes were eliminated from the pool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    "Darwin is our friend" Miho~ I'm turning that into a button!

:-)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RebelRocker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by artymorty View Post
    I was referring to this comment from CBS news site which made me think perhaps the media may have it wrong :-

Everyone needs to get the facts straight before condemning anyone - This comes straight from a source close to the family. The mother DID NOT set him on the railing. She was holding him so he could see and he JUMPED out of her arms. She was NOT dangling him over the edge by any means. It apparently happened so quickly. It is often easy to pass judgement about people(mother of child) because of what the media had portrayed about the situation. It is also very easy to be mislead by the media. Sadly I am afraid that is what is happening here. After reading a tremendous load of negative comments... enough is enough. Shut your mouths until you have the FACTS. Those who are posting those comments are ignorant of the facts in the situation.

I have read other comments from various papers where people have said they were close to the family,and they say she didn't just leave him free standing .Apparently they have footage so the truth will come out eventually, but what a sad case.

so she must have been right near the railing which is where he could have jumped from and ended up in the habitat.

Nelliebean Guest
    Boy!

This would be one empty site if we had to wait until the conclusion of a news story before giving an opinion!

Y'all got an opinion on Jimmy Hoffa? Keep it to yourself until his body is found.