Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could you live in a house someone died or was murdered in?

susalu Guest

Could you live in a house someone died or was murdered in?

the last house i bought (the one i am living in) the woman died of cancer... i don't know if she died here or in hospice or what... sometimes i wonder though... i never asked her son, kind of didn't want to know...

i feel weird talking about her when i am in the house... she loved greasy food, and cooked alot, so grease was everywhere... i spent hours scrubbing grease and grime off the ceiling, cabinets, stove, and countertop... i was cursing her under my breath... then i thought, oh shit, don't get pissed off and come and haunt my ass, please! i was also cursing the son because he left the place in such a bad condition before i moved in... and then i thought, oh shit, i am cursing her son, please don't come and haunt me... sounds nuts i know... but then, i am somewhat nuts...

have you had a similar experience? Sus

Someone had died in the first house I bought. Someone died in the house I currently live in - in my bedroom. My mother died in the last house I lived in while staying with me and my family.

Doesn't bother me. Now, if someone had been murdered in my house...

knothere Guest
    im sure we all did at one point in time
    i live around the corner
    from the house my mom grew up in
    n it was haunted when she was a kid so 70 years later .........

Our home in Oregon was built in 1924 so I'd think that someone has died in it. I don't know who as we've not had time to research it back before the 70's though. I'll find out one of these days.

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    YES. We once rented a six bedroom, three bathroom house that had five concrete kennel runs (complete with pro-fencing) and a huge back yard (over an acre anyway), a playhouse large enough for adults, and a lower-floor den that was so huge that my brother's entire band practiced in it. Rent: $175 a month. They were desperate to get someone in (it was owned by a colonel who had his family overseas) and it had apparently sat for a while. The MOMENT my friend and I walked in there for the first time, we immdiately looked at each other at the exact same time and remarked that the force/vibe was absolutely palpable. Due to the way the sunlight hit it, my parents gave me the master bedroom which had it's own bath. That house was haunted as all hell and every member of my family were keeping their scares to themselves, not wanting to sound crazy. By the time we finally broke down and began talking about it, we'd all been through multiple events, and the notes were LONG. Most of the shit that happened took place in the kitchen, my room (LUCKY ME) and the diningroom.

Although we'd gotten frightened many times, none of us had been attacked in a physically harmful way, but numerous friends had witnessed events there.

When the colonel said he was coming home and gave us notice, we were only too happy to be getting out. The day we moved the furniture, there were stacks of pennies under every single leg of livingroom and diningroom furniture (except the dining chairs) and the carpet was so deep, we didn't know how long they'd been there.

As my brother and I were arranging the furniture in the new house, Mom went back to get the curtains in the livingroom and kitchen. She reappeared in *short* time and said "I'm never going back into that house alone ever again," she was noticeably upset and badly shaken, and Mom had unusual strength in the spiritual department. This was the only time we ever saw her frightened in our lives -- seriously.

Just to prove we weren't crazy, we invited Mom's best friend, a close friend of my brother's who now performs in Vegas (David Ragsdale, played with Kansas, Barbara Mandrell, I forget who else .. he has a website I think), and two neighbors we were only lightly acquainted with .. in all there were eight of us. We did not seance -- merely sat on the floors in the rooms with candles (electric was cut that day). And to our great surprise, activity took place right in front of all of them. Most of which occurred in my bedroom (thank God, now they know I'm not nuts!). Everyone was VERY excited at how much and what was witnessed, and Mom's best friend wanted to contact a paranormal research team associated with a California university (sorry, don't remember which one), but of course we were no longer in the house, which posed a problem.

We tracked down an agent who had to consult the original agent who said that two hippies had snuck into the house and were in the attic when the floor of it gave way, where they fell to their death in the master bedroom. None of us bought this story; the ceilings were not abnormally high in that room, only slightly above average. It didn't add up.

The colonel claimed it was rubbish (EIGHT WITNESSES?) and refused the investigation. I didn't know this; I thought Mom and her friend Paula had just changed their mind. By sheer chance, two years later we moved two blocks away from that same house (my folks were trying to keep us kids in the same district so we wouldn't have to change schools) and due to the location of my bus stop, I had to walk past it every day.

One day I just couldn't handle the curiosity anymore, and went up and knocked on the door. A very serious-looking lady, apparent the wife, answered it. I introduced myself and told her I'd lived in the house, trying to make friendly small-talk, but she remained stern-faced. I sensed she was about to brush me off, so I asked her, as politely as I could think of, if she'd ever witnessed anything .. strange or odd take place in the home. Before I could even describe what I was referring too, a look of horror and anger (and a whooole lot of red flush) appeared in her face and she fairly hissed, almost threateningly at me: "NO! And nothing's ever going to happen here ever AGAIN! I have a gun!" And she slammed the door in my face before I could react.

Call me kooky but I got the distinct impression she was being erm dishonest and I thought the answer sort of told on itself. Nothing's ever gonna happen here again? How could something happen again if it never happened in the first place? My immediate gut-check told me that she knew something about "the incident." I don't think it was just the paranormal stuff she was so uptight about, but I could be wrong of course. It was just a waaaay over-the-top reaction, especially in the face of a polite schoolgirl who obviously posed no danger.

The events followed us to our new home, and over time just kept fading in intensity. But my two best buddies -- we'd been close since 8 years old -- flat-out refused to ever spend the night over, after what they witnessed. The younger sister of the two later went to a therapist because she tried very hard to convince herself that she hadn't seen what she'd seen. That was a couple of years after those events though.

What kinda messes with my mind about that whole thing was this: her older sister, who was the one I was closest friends with, became a practicing satanist about fifteen years later, and so did their mother. I refuse all contact with those people now. But both were believing Christians when all this went down; heck, we met in Vacation Bible School when we were just eight!!

Morbid1 Guest
    Actually my next door neighbors house was a little weird,when I
    moved here in 1997,a older lady lived next door and after a few
    nice waves as we seen each other going in and out,about a month
    or two later I noticed her looking out her back kitchen window at
    me,just staring at me like I was a burglar or something bad that
    was living next door to her,I ignored it for awhile,and she kept on.

And every time I would come and go..she would be at that window
    looking at me(looking through)the curtains.I had enough..so I walked
    over one day..rang her door-bell..no answer,Hmmm thats real strange
    like she knows I can see her,I thought maybe she is embarrassed or
    doesn't want to face me,or think I was going to yell at her about it.

So this went on for awhile,a friend of hers came buy one day,so I ran
    out of my garage to ask her if (Mary my neighbor) was OK and really
    wanted to get off my chest about the peek-a-boo thing in the window.
    She looked really puzzled at me and said "you don't know she passed"
    I said uh..past away like dead? "yeah honey she was ill with cancer"
    Iam sorry that you didn't know.Well I told her (thinking I was nuts)
    about the window thing,she said your welcome to come inside with
    me,I have to grab a few things Mary gave me before the relator's
    get here,and you can see for yourself..the house is pretty empty.

Sure,so in we went,empty to say the least..so cold and weird feeling
    like I new that she was pissed about me being in the house,you know
    that cold-creepy non-homey feeling you feel in some old homes,I new
    something was not right.I walked over to the window where I saw her
    looking out at me,and I placed a big piece of cardboard in the window
    so I wouldn't be paranoid that the dead was haunting me I guess lol.

That was pretty much the last time I ever seen anymore "faces" but
    the day before they came to tear down the house,the new owners
    were going to re-build from the ground up (lucky,lucky me) that piece
    of cardboard was missing from the window..and nobody had been there.

Since the new owners..no paranormal weirdness has happened,but I
    always have a creepy feeling being out in my garage at night,I only
    work out there during the morning or afternoon hours,just too much
    for me I guess.When I finish my new garage I may sell and go some
    place else,I swear that that face in the window was hers,and that
    bothers me even today.My grandparents had a haunted house that
    I was terrified in as a child,and both of my grandparents died there.

I don't have any good feelings about that place!

Iam pretty close to the new neighbors.and I have asked if they
    have had any "weird" things going on,and they say no its fine.
    But I do notice that they sleep with most of there lights on.

Maybe ol'Marry is stirring up at the new house again!

Sorry for the long novel..lol.

-Morbid1

These stories are awesome.

Lifeisafataldisease Guest
    When my husband and I were first married we shared a rented house with his brother. In the house behind us was a group of young fellas that used to make home brew and pass a longneck or two over the fence every now and then.
    One day we noticed that the guys had moved out then someone had told us that one of the young guys committed suicide in the garage.
    We had a party one night and full of Dutch courage my husband and his mates jumped the fence and went into the garage. There was an old push bike and a few crates of empty beer bottles. They came back over the fence with the bike and the bottles! I near had a fit! I said to them that they had to take those things back, I felt like they were robbing his tomb or something.

Any way I was uneasy about having the stuff out of that garage in our yard and of a night time our dogs would be going up to the back fence and making a fuss. There was noone living in the house so there really wasnt anything for them to be fussing about. I kept saying to my husband you have to put that stuff back, the guy is looking for it.

One night my husband came back in all sweaty and as pale as. I said what happened? He said he had just put the stuff back in the guys garage. I asked him why and he said he was out in the backyard (it was dark) and our bull terrier started to fuss the hair stood up on his back and he was just staring towards the back fence with that low growl that dogs sometimes get when they sense someone around.

My husband said he just got this awful chill and decided then and there to take the stuff back, he said that night would be the last time he would ever step foot in that property again. The dogs never bothered about that section of the yard again after the stuff was returned.
    A young couple moved in a few months later and asked us to join them for a BBQ we declined.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    sorry...i'm poor and never owned a house. but I currently live in an apt where the former tenant died. he passed away in what is now my youngest son's room. he went to sleep and never woke up. I know this to be fact, because my sister-in-law lives above us, and manages the building. yeah, it creeped me out at first. but 2 years in and nothing strange has happened. so, my guess is he's not STILL here, if you catch my drift.

10. 10-30-2007, 07:10 AM

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Someone croaked in my house, of natural causes, that I know. I've never seen or felt a thing. I had a party for co-workers once and the one lady claimed to be "psychic" and brought two of her psychic friends with her. I thought she was a dimwit. They wanted a tour, I gave them a tour, all three of them flipped out when I led them into the side guest room and hurried out of the room, terrified of a "force." I acted along, but was not convinced. They "gathered their strength" to release the "force" and flicked salt water around the room and declared it cleansed after an hour of chanting. It was good entertainment for the party. I slept elsewhere that night after the party, but I walked through the house before I left, and didn't notice anything. The next morning when I returned home, there was about $1.00 or so in change strewn around the floor of that room in pennies and dimes. I swear, that was not there when I left and no one else was in the house after I left or before I came home. I still have not felt a thing in the house, before or after.

12. 10-30-2007, 07:51 AM

SlippyInvader Guest
    My house was new when I moved in 14 yrs tomorrow on halloween My partner believes he's seen spirits along the hallway but i've seen nothing though i've heard things. Apparently these houses are built on an old funeral parlour so who knows.

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    we rented a apartment that had a bunch of deaths associated with it. it was eerie for sure. i think the saddest death there had occured in the 1800's, a woman shot her husband there when she caught him with the town whore. they hanged her in the end, but they had kept her locked in one room until they hung her, and she carved her name into a wall ad "god forgives" beside it. if i aint mistaken, they tore those apartments down in 1999.

attackatdawn Guest
    I live in a 100 yr plus house I have read about the history of this house and I guess at one time in the early 1900's the man who built this house was a big wheel in town. He also died here, supposably my house and the next door elementary school are built on top of a old indian burial ground. Some strange things have happened here when we first moved in. lights turning on & off, sound of people whispering, my kids claim they have seen shadows of human forms in their rooms. But the weird thing is ever since my dad passed away all of this stopped it is almost like he told the spirits to knock it off lol!

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by attackatdawn View Post
    I live in a 100 yr plus house I have read about the history of this house and I guess at one time in the early 1900's the man who built this house was a big wheel in town. He also died here, supposably my house and the next door elementary school are built on top of a old indian burial ground. Some strange things have happened here when we first moved in. lights turning on & off, sound of people whispering, my kids claim they have seen shadows of human forms in their rooms. But the weird thing is ever since my dad passed away all of this stopped it is almost like he told the spirits to knock it off lol!

i had a friend who lived on a trailer on burial grounds, he would experience doors opening, hear glass breaking when no glass was broke, and heard whispering alot from one room in particular. he finally moved after a door flew open and knocked him down. the railer burnt down one night, they said lightning hit it, but it wasnt storming or anything.

magblax Guest
    No! I don't think I could.

derbingle Guest
    The first house I bought had its previous owner die in it. Of couse I didn't know she'd died there until I was told. You see I was friends with the funeral director in town and one night he and his wife came over for dinner. He walked in the door and immediatly said, "I think I've been in here before." Of course that's never a good sign. My wife just froze and said, "Shut up." So I took him to our bedroom and he said, "Yes, I have been in here before. This was her bedroom too." I laughed, but my wife slept on the couch that night.

ComputerGuy Guest
    The people who had out house built, husband died Oct 24, 1983 in now what is my office.

rjbrasher Guest
    The house i lived in Omaha, an old lady died on the toilet in the bathroom. It kinda weird me out when i would go potty at 3am, and the house is creaking and shit.

susalu Guest
    Wow great stories! I forgot that once I rented an apartment years ago. A neighbor told me that the man who lived in the apartment prior to me shot his wife just outside the front door... I freaked out! So I asked the landlord why she didn't tell me and she said that since I didn't ask, she didn't have to tell me, and besides, the murder didn't happen inside the apartment... Man I was pissed. Needless to say I moved out when my lease was up. Never experienced anything bad, but I wasn't willing to wait till it happened!

Sus

surfca2 Guest
    I was on a volunteer fire department back in the 70's and we had a very tragic fire that killed 4 family members: a father, son, and 2 daughters. I'll never forget the scene.

The home was heavily damaged but was eventually repaired....Amazingly (at least to me) was another volunteer who actually helped fight the fire...bought the home and moved in.

There's no way I could have ever lived in that house, I would be seeing those poor victims every time I entered the house.

I'm living in one. My Mom died in it last December and a few freaky things have happened since. Altho she's been pretty quiet the last few months...whew!

Cettie Guest
    My house was built in 1819, meaning that people have lived in this house for 189 years now. You betcha people have died in this house and there have been funerals from here with people layed out in my parlor. Death is a normal part of life and holds no horrors for me.

lisalouver Guest
    The house I live in is over 100 years old and I suspect someone has died in it due to its age alone.

The sheer amount of people we find dead in their homes (be it natural, suicide, accident or homicide) leaves the real possibility that most have lived in a house that has had someone die in it.

My friend is a real estate agent and seems to me she told me once long ago that there is a law in teh city I live in that you have to disclose when you sell a house if someone has died in it. I am betting most don't. Unless it is a high profile something or other.

Our house was built in 1938 (or '45, we're not sure) and only had one family in it before us. The husband and wife both died at nursing homes, but I swear they visit periodically. Recently, in fact. I get such a nice feeling from them, tho!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SquirrelNutZipper Guest
    While in college my roommate and I rented a basement apartment. Not really as bad as it sounds - we joked that we were like Laverne and Shirley.

Anyway, one night we were watching tv in the large living room. Off of that was a hallway with a utility closet on the right, bathroom on the left, Linda's room straight ahead of the hall and my room on the side of the utility closet.

There were four of us there...Linda and I both saw a white film come out of the utility closet and head for her room. I looked at everyone and the only one who looked surprised was Linda. At first, she thought it was her contact lenses (actually, I thought the same thing too) but then we realized the possiblity of that happening was quite slim. Our guests did not see anything out of the ordinary.

We brushed it off but when we saw the landlady (good ol' Patsy) we asked her about the apartment - and who had it before us. She said the caretaker of the complex lived there before us, but died suddenly - that also explained how we were able to get the apartment. Every decent place near campus was already taken and dummies that we were didn't question how this place opened up quickly. She said that he died in the hospital but we have our doubts.

I don't know if it was him but something walked down that hall.

One of my co-workers was raised in Houston and lived in this haunted house, and told me the shit that happened in there!

How one night her mother saw someone sitting at the foot of her bed - dressed as a monk with the hood over their face.

My co-worker told me her and her sisters used to sleep with their blankets over their heads since "something" would touch their faces in the middle of the night.

She said once she turned 18, she packed her bags and jetted on out of that house!

As for my haunted times with Mom here. She's knocked on the walls a few times, "appeared" as a misty type of cloud in the backyard one night, and then another time I heard her talking out in the livingroom while I was sitting here at this computer in the den!

I've lived in two houses where people died.

The first was the one I grew up in. I inherited it after my dad died. One of my dad's sisters had a child die in what is now the kitchen. He was a toddler, and fell and hit his head and died. And my dad's youngest brother, who died when he was a child, died in the house, too. I've never seen or heard anything there. We lived there until I was 19 and my dad died(not in the house) and I moved back when I was 25. My brother and his girlfriend lived there a short time. My brother saw something, but he won't talk about it. My uncle, one of my dad's brothers, lived there a short time, too, same thing, he told my aunt he just couldn't stay there. My husband and I lived there until a couple of years ago when we moved here to look after my mom after my stepfather died and she got cancer.

The previous owner of the house died here, in the yard, of a heart attack. My mom said she once felt someone sit down on the bed with her one night, but again, I've never seen anything. My stepfather died in what is now our bedroom.

This house is right across the street from the huge city cemetery. People always ask doesn't it bother us, but I don't mind a bit. They make great neighbors, very quiet.

knothere Guest
    the apt i live in is in a house thats older than my mom n she lives x the street
    but her sisters remember this place as a fish n chip restaurant a damn good one when they were very young kids
    my mom lived on the next street over n the next street over its her hood lol
    she has so much history
    but in my house there was once a fire long long ago
    n my neighbour underneath me can vouch for that
    n y next door best neightbour ill ever have died last summer in his back yard the lady beneath me found him
    the older u get the more ppl die around u

knothere Guest
    well aries im hoping ur mom is finding peace

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    These posts are all fabulous. Thank you Death Hags for sharing your experiences.

JGrier Guest
    We sold my Grandparents house in 1991. They both died in the house, in the same room, in the same spot 6 years apart. They also both died of cancer. Would love to know if the people who bought the house had any experiences.
    Last edited by JGrier; 01-20-2008 at 05:49 PM.

Hag1 Guest
    I am a real estate agent, so i have been in a lot of houses and have seen a lot of things.
    One of my acquaintances died while out of town from supposedly natural causes. The estate listed the home with me. When showing the house, we went into the basement where there was an extension phone, one of those older ones with the buttons that light up, as a multi-line phone would. We noticed that the light on the phone came on. One of the people said somebody must be upstairs on the extension phone, although nobody else was expected. I lifted up the receiver and just heard a lot of fuzzy noises. There was nobody upstairs. The next two times I showed the house and went into the basement, the phone would ring. Not a full ring, but just a little tinkling sound. There was no dial tone on any of the phones, so I called the phone company and the phones had been disconnected for months. I finally quit talking about this cause everybody in the office thought I was nuts. Well, the house never sold, although it was a nice one; it went to foreclosure and someone bought it. In driving by after that, i observed that someone was doing a major renovation on the home which took months. Lots of construction equipment, scaffolding, etc. Then one day I went by and they were leveling the house. It is gone now. I can't imagine anyone would spend all that money on a house and doze it down. Obviously, something went on in that house, and I will always think the former owner was trying to tell me something and his death was a little mysterious anyway.

knothere Guest
    wow hag1 did u ever find out every thing

HelenaHandbasket Guest
    The lady who lived in my house before I bought it died in the powder room. Every neighbor on the block made sure we knew it too. We're pretty sure she still hangs around here along with another lady who died here years ago. According to my more morbid neighbors, at least three people have died in my house.

Hag1 Guest
    wow hag1 did u ever find out every thing
    I just found it strange that his newly announced "fiancee" was named benefiaciary to his life insurance a few days before his death. (god i hope she's not reading this)

Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    well aries im hoping ur mom is finding peace
    I'm pretty sure she has. I have the feeling since the one year mark has passed, she has decided to leave finally. I think she just wanted to kick up some hell before she left!

In Japan, realtors have to disclose if there has been a suicide in the apartment or adjoining apartments. They don't trot out the info right off, but if a potential renter shows interest, then they have to disclose.

One of the places I was looking at a few years ago had such a history. It wasn't the room I was looking at, but it was directly above it. The management company had performed an exorcism, as you'd expect.

Last time I checked, the suicide rate here is twice that of the US. A lot of people won't live in a place where something like that has happened, and when a seemingly attractive apartment is offered significantly below the going market rate, there's usually a very good reason for it!

Hag1 Guest
    In Japan, realtors have to disclose if there has been a suicide in the apartment or adjoining apartments. They don't trot out the info right off, but if a potential renter shows interest, then they have to disclose.
    That would fall under the category "stimatized property". The laws are different in some places, but we would not be allowed to disclose a suicide unless the family gives us permission. We have had several suicide houses. Other stigmas are not required to be disclosed, Like ghosts, but if i know it, i do tell them. There is a special category for AIDS. If someone died in the house with AIDS, we are not allowed to discuss this at all. Lots of people will ask if anybody ever died in this house. Since the majority of the homes are very old, we really don't know the answer. I am sure that somebody has died in my house at one time or another, since it is 100 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulie Girl View Post
    These posts are all fabulous. Thank you Death Hags for sharing your experiences.
    Yeah, I love reading these thingies too.

I think in certain states herein the USA they have to disclose deaths at homes and apartments - when asked. Not only are the Japanese superstitious about living in a house where someone died - but other cultures too. And then there are just those regular people who get the "heebie-jeebies" from it and would want to know!

I'll probably be one of those once it comes time for me to look for my new house!

leevancleef Guest
    Thanks so much for all the fabulous stories.
    ive never lived in a house where someone died ( and if i have im not aware of it), but i was in my grandfather's room when he died last month.

MbalmR Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    The house I live in is over 100 years old and I suspect someone has died in it due to its age alone.

The sheer amount of people we find dead in their homes (be it natural, suicide, accident or homicide) leaves the real possibility that most have lived in a house that has had someone die in it.

My friend is a real estate agent and seems to me she told me once long ago that there is a law in teh city I live in that you have to disclose when you sell a house if someone has died in it. I am betting most don't. Unless it is a high profile something or other.
    Isn't there a fairly large Hmong population in Minnesota? We have many Hmong residents in Wisconsin, and when I was trying to sell my dad's house after he died (he died at home under hospice care,) my realtor told me that she didn't have to tell all potential buyers about my dad dying in the house, but if any Hmong families looked at the property, she had to tell them because the Hmong don't want to live in homes where someone has died.

Lisamarie Guest
    We have lived all over in my life and one time we lived in York , Penn..and we lived in an old house across from the old school house it had 14 bedrooms and ghost!! My little sister stayed in a tiny room we called buds room.....I asked my mom once why it was called buds room and later why my little sister had the nick name Lilly Bud..well it turned out it was a bording house a long time ago and a guy named Bud rented the room my sister lived in and had hung himself in the room. I oftn felt thing in the middle of the night..the blankets would be pulled back, also doors would open and close on there own and a faucet in the kitchen would turn on and off.....I saw the faucet turn on myself....and even asked my mom if she had done it even though I knew she had not cause we were both standing there...also my boyfriedn who is as skeptic as anyone can be....has had nightmares recetly about the apartment we live in now and has had several nightmares about strange children shadow people in hoods who move very fast and hide under our bed...this past weekend I have had to shake him awake 4 times and he has been screaming" there in the house there under the bed!! " Needless to say this has been scaring meas well.I must say I am facinated by death ouses though....I know I have told this story before but they have hang house here..a lady hung herself and her two kids and no one lives there for long because she is restless...and so are the kids.

Lisamarie Guest
    I have gone a peeked in the window of hang house its up for sale once again..the last couple fled after only a month...I wish I could get in !! I just wanna see the closet she did it in! Can you imagine !!

kelbons Guest
    I am not sure whether I've lived in a house where someone died, with the exception of my grandparents'.

My grandmother died there in 1997; my grandfather and myself were there with us. For a long time afterwards the dog would lie n the spot where the paramedics were trying to revive her.

My grandfther died there on Father's Day in 1999 in his bed; he'd been sick and chose to come home from the hospital to spend his final few weeks. We were all there on a rotating 24-hour schedule rather than having Hospice. He had five kids and me, who lived there taking bare of him.

I'm sure the people who live there now know... the husband grew up in the neighborhood and was our paperboy at one point!

The house that we own now... other than a deer crashing through the front storm door, I'm not sure. I know that there was an elderly lady who lived there before the owner's son moved his family in for two years prior to selling it to us. So... could be, but the only ones who come to visit are Gram & Pa. They flicker the lights and mess with the TV volume, but it doesn't freak me out. I just say "Hi" and they stop!

EDIT:
    Someone came to visit us last night while we were having dinner. A Doodlebops "keytar" that my daughter owns kept playing the same not off and on for about ten minutes. I just said, "OK, who's out there?" while my husband was freaking out. He finally went out and moved it. Nothing was on top of it, so....
    Last edited by kelbons; 01-22-2008 at 06:30 AM.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Parts of the house I live in were built in the late 1880s/1890s, not quite sure. It's owned by my friend Beth and when we moved in, both she and her adult daughter told me there was a ghost. I was like, okay, sure, whatever.

They weren't kidding. One night, our friend Sam, an Army ranger, was home on leave and was staying overnight a couple nights. We told him about the "ghost" the first nigh and he was like, "That's not the room I'm sleeping in, is it?" Heh. Big tough guy, right? The next night, my husband and Sam stayed downstairs watching movies and drinking beer and I went upstairs to bed. I was just dozing off, lying on my side, when I felt someone put their arms around me and hug me. Very comforting feeling but it woke me up and I was alone. Freaked my shit RIGHT OUT.

A few months later, we had people over and were sitting at the dining room table downstairs and heard a big crash from upstairs. No one was up there. All the stuff on my nightstand had been knocked off.

I have on more than one occasion felt a presense when I'm upstairs, generally when I am alone. It's not threatening at all, but it still freaks me out. I can sense it's a female presense, a young woman. My husband feels it, too, but it doesn't freak him. He's British and a lot of their houses are a million years old and have ghosts.

This only happens upstairs, which is one of older parts of the house. The rest has been added onto and renovated.

Oh, and we have a "Michigan" basement, which means it's got a dirt floor and walls and very low clearance and these wooden steps that are very narrow. We've lived here well over a year and I've never gone down there. I don't even like opening the door to it. It's creepy as hell. Jame Gumb lives down there, I'm pretty sure.

bluebear71 Guest
    I grew up on a farm that sat on about 40 acres. When we bought the property it had an old burned up 5th wheel trailer on it. We asked the people that lived on the property adjacent to ours about the previous owners. We were told the previous owners only used the property for recreational purposes, and after they divorced the property went largely unused. We were then told that the owners had a very bitter custody battle over there 1 son, and that the husband had a bad drinking problem. Well, from what we were told the husband had taken his son out there one night. Dispondent over the thought of losing his son, he got drunk and shot his son with a shotgun, and then burned the trailer with himself inside it. A police officer happened to live down the road from us and did tell us, when we asked him, that there was an "incident", and after that my parents didn't want to pursue the story any further. My dad buried what was left of the trailer when we were clearing for our pastures, and my parents wouldn't really discuss it after that.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    With regard to AIDS houses, I remember in the Enquirer after Rock Hudson died, his house sat on the market forever, no one would touch it. It finally sold a long time later at a drastically reduced price. But that's not the funny part. The article noted that the new owners were tearing out and replacing all of the bathroom fixtures and internal and external plumbing--I guess this was early AIDS and they thought it was lurking in the toilet and in the pipes and burying the pool and building a new one.
    But what made this a true Enquirer moment was the additional sentence, which I can remember verbatim, "definitley gone are the statues of nude boys frolicking by the pool."

Lisamarie Guest
    Isisnt that a shame........ stupid people...anyone know what the little shadow people are my boyfriend is seeing and if they are bad or not??

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I don't know that anyone's died in my building, though I'm sure there have been deaths here due to its age.
    The most interesting thing about it is, it used to be, well, a 'house of ill repute,' to put it nicely--a whorehouse, to put it bluntly.
    This was in the 60s. All the hallways, laundry areas, etc. still have these weird, nude greek-style statues everywhere though. They're leftovers from those days, and I kind of like 'em even though everyone says they're tacky.
    I LOVE living in a place with 'tainted' history...