Thread: Love FAD but Hate Ads? Problem Solved

Love FAD but Hate Ads? Problem Solved

There are a few different categories of readers that want to get rid of ads. As I've mentioned elsewhere, a percentage of Internet users look at ads almost as something site owners put in as a form of tyranny. These readers take it upon themselves to "outsmart" the site by using an ad-blocking script. If that's you and you wrote the script yourself, I admire your coding skills. If you just enabled some browser add-on, whoopee for you. But in either case, know that ads are meant to support sites, to keep them up and to keep them free. They can be super annoying, but to go with the nuclear option and block all ads (regardless of intrusiveness) on all sites (regardless of how much you like the site or how often you visit) is misguided, in my opinion.

Some people don't really pay attention to ads. They may never click a single one. I've been using a subscription model at the TNL Forums for about four years now, and many subscribers just sign on to support the site. It's not that the ads bother them, it's just that they know that donating a dollar or two a month to the site may translate to just pennies per hour of entertainment. (If a member reads the forums for an average of one hour a day and has a $2.00-per-month subscription, that's less than seven cents per hour for a product that not only entertains and informs, but also provides a sounding board and [to some] a support system.) They subscribe because they never click ads.

In the middle are those who are experiencing difficulties with the ads. There may be a software conflict or a work consideration to be addressed. Maybe some of you would browse the FAD Forums during your breaks at work if only there were no ads. Maybe the site doesn't render well on your tablet or phone because of one of the ads.

In any case, there is another solution, and it's free if you want it to be. My request is that if you are using an ad-blocking script across the board, you disable it at least for the sites that you find useful - whether or not that includes this one. At FAD, if you hate ads but cannot afford any financial thank-yous, we have a free option. If you do want to leave a tip, we also have options for that.

Ad-Free - Subcription Options
    1. One Month (Free, Non-recurring) - Will remove all third-party banner ads from the Findadeath Forums for one month. Renewable at any time after it runs out. With this option only, you must post your request here or send it to me via private message at the start of each month you would like the subscription to be enabled. (The forum software does not allow $0.00 subscriptions, but this also will better allow you to decide the site's value to you on an ongoing basis.)

2. One Month ($2.00, Non-recurring) - Will remove all third-party banner ads from the Findadeath Forums for one month. Instantly renewable through user settings at any time after it runs out.

3. One Month ($2.00, Recurring) - Will remove all third-party banner ads from the Findadeath Forums for one month. Automatically renewed until the user cancels it.

4. Three Months ($5.25, Non-recurring) - Will remove all third-party banner ads from the Findadeath Forums for three months. Instantly renewable through user settings at any time after it runs out.

5. Three Months ($5.25, Recurring) - Will remove all third-party banner ads from the Findadeath Forums for three months. Automatically renewed until the user cancels it.

6. Six Months ($10.00, Non-recurring) - Will remove all third-party banner ads from the Findadeath Forums for six months. Instantly renewable through user settings at any time after it runs out.

7. Six Months ($10.00, Recurring) - Will remove all third-party banner ads from the Findadeath Forums for six months. Automatically renewed until the user cancels it.

8. One Year ($20.00, Non-recurring) - Will remove all third-party banner ads from the Findadeath Forums for one year. Instantly renewable through user settings at any time after it runs out.

9. One Year ($20.00, Recurring) - Will remove all third-party banner ads from the Findadeath Forums for one year. Automatically renewed until the user cancels it.

All payments are handled via PayPal. If you need an alternative, send me a message or ask in this thread. I've had subscribers pay via money order on multiple occasions.

To get started, visit the Paid Subscriptions page in your settings. I will be expanding on the subscription model down the line. At TNL, we have used badges, different user name colors, and different permissions tied to subscriptions, but I will consider at a later date how well those fit here. Thanks, all.
    Last edited by Nick; 09-04-2012 at 05:41 AM.

Thanks, Nick!
    Last edited by cindyt; 09-04-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Thanks, Nick for the fair and judicious decision.

I have no problem with the banner ads, just the "talkies"; I know why the ads are here; I understand how and why that works.

I also don't have a problem ponying up a couple of bucks a month to support a site that provides a lot of entertainment, a lot of interesting information, and some fun discourse.

Look for me to "sign up" shortly.

Thanks, again.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

I just noticed that I'm not seeing any ads or talkies.

WOW!

That was like instantly; and for just the cost of one large coffee a month at Krispy Kreme (not that I eat the doughnuts), just like the coffee.

Great solution, thanks!
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Hey Nick how about one for leaving the ads alone and just making a donation for the use of this site?? I have no problems with ads and have actually purchased stuff from a couple. I think a donation now and then to help keep this site would be great. Not everyone would do it but maybe enough would to make the little click worth while?

Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    Hey Nick how about one for leaving the ads alone and just making a donation for the use of this site?? I have no problems with ads and have actually purchased stuff from a couple. I think a donation now and then to help keep this site would be great. Not everyone would do it but maybe enough would to make the little click worth while?
    You can leave the ads and also make donations on a thread in support.

http://www.findadeath.com/forum/show...0301#post20301
    Last edited by cindyt; 09-09-2012 at 02:23 PM.

I just signed up and paid $2 to try it for a month. I am still seeing ads. Does it take a while to kick in or is there something else I have to do? Does it get rid of all the ads (the one in the last post and the banner?) for us? I don't really mind most of them it's just my computer is getting older and sometimes the ads can slow it down a bit, so I thought I'd see how this goes.

There should be no ads on the forum pages at all. You will still get ads from the main site. If you have another page open in your browser and then you come here (that includes coming here from the main FAD site), you may get a popunder from the other place. There are no popunders served here on the forums.

What ads are you seeing now, when you're logged in?

I'm seeing a Virgin Mobile banner at the top of the forums/each thread. I always have the banner up there with various ads. I don't have the ad in the last post on each thread any more though.
    Last edited by atomicbettie; 03-31-2014 at 02:32 PM.

Is the banner gone now?

The only time I get a banner ad in the forum is if I redirect from another site and leave the other site open. As for the main site...it is beyond frustrating...maybe a HUGE fundraising effort to pay Scott for his yearly bandwidth and hosting costs?.....I know there is a way to contribute, but an exact figure with weekly updates maybe?......Just throwing it out there
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

all gone! thanks Nick!

Just stumbled upon this.. works fine except the tracking cookies
    Some compare Elvis to God.. I mean He is good, but He is no Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    There should be no ads on the forum pages at all. You will still get ads from the main site. If you have another page open in your browser and then you come here (that includes coming here from the main FAD site), you may get a popunder from the other place. There are no popunders served here on the forums.

What ads are you seeing now, when you're logged in?
    I get popunders from my local internet service. No biggie I guess, I just X out. Happens about every time I come to FAD site and go to new posts.