Thread: Montgomery Clift

BobbyJrsy Guest

Montgomery Clift

I am currently fascinated by Monty Clift-his life, death etc. Does anyone know if his ??personal secretary? Lorenzo James is still living or if he ever gave an interview regarding his life with Clift?

Have no idea... Always wondered if he would have been as tortured if he hadnt had that crash. You had to be impressed with his drink/drug levels as monroe couldnt keep up with him on the misfits. Isnt his ghost meant to be haunting a hotel somewhere???

GODDESS6 Guest
    i love montgomery, he was so hot!!!~ he was born in omaha where i live~

mommafreak Guest
    I read somewhere he was supposed to get on an airplane and didn't at the last minute, and the plane went down. Gotta get to work to find the info..... be back when i do find it. Help from anyone?

hoxharding Guest
    I think he is supposed to haunt the Rosevelt Hotel. I still doubt that. Of all the haunt. I am not sure he stayed the much when he was alive. It is said he still plays the bugle or trumpet he was practicing when he stayed there.
    That said, I did have a bit of an odd experience in the Plaze in NYC. Found out later that Lawrence Harvey stayed there during the making of the Manchurian Candidate. So, who knows?

RoRo Guest
    I don't know about hauntings, but he led a very interesting and tragic life. I read he never felt as good about himself after the accident because of the scars,but with makeup they weren't that horrible in pictures I've seen

Jazbabee Guest
    I had always heard that he suffered facial disfigurement in a car crash, but have never seen photos. Does any one know if any exist ?? Did he have the damage repaired ? I would like to find out more

[SIZE=5]O[/SIZE]ne night during the making of [SIZE=3]RAINTREE COUNTRY[/SIZE] in 1956, CLIFT attended a dinner party at the home of ELIZABETH TAYLOR & her then husband (#2) MICHAEL WILDING. CLIFT was already big into dope. He drank a lot of sangria throughout the evening plus pain killers. At the end of the evening he was so stoned that KEVIN McCARTHY said that he'd lead the way down the winding road so that CLIFT would have an easier go of it. (Someone should have insisted on driving him home.) Halfway down McCARTHY noticed that CLIFT'S headlamps were no longer visible but a cloud of smoke was. McCARTHY turned around found the crash site, then high tailed it back to the WILDINGS. ELIZABETH ran out the door down to the crash site while WILDING callled for an ambulance. TAYLOR had to climb through the back of the car to get to CLIFT. Once inside the immobilized CLIFT pointed to his neck while making gurgling sound; his two front teeth had been knocked out and were lodged in his throat. TAYLOR reached in and pulled them out. An ambulance arrived a half hour later; so did an army of press. WILDING, McCARTHY,and the other dinner guests surrounded the prostrate CLIFT so that the photographers couldn't get a decent view. TAYLOR shouted expletives at them to back off. CLIFT endured many operations to repair his face. He was never the same, and his looks suffered. MONTY took the two incisors that TAYLOR had retrieved from his throat and had them made into a necklace which he later gave her. His participation on the film was halted for almost 6 months.

BobbyJrsy Guest
    I also have wondered about the before and after crash monty. Can someone post pics and point out what the differences? I have always read that "he was never the same" but never really got it.

I watched Red River the other night with Monte and Wayne. Great actor who's life ended to soon.

Kathyf Guest
    I have always read that he could not handle the damage to his face in that accident and became depressed and Un happy.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyJrsy View Post
    I also have wondered about the before and after crash monty. Can someone post pics and point out what the differences? I have always read that "he was never the same" but never really got it.
    Before the crash

After the crash

I think he looked more swollen...when you saw him act, his face was obviously partially paralysed as well as certain angled shots.

DoubleZ1013 Guest
    I read somewhere that when he at the morgue(?) the mortician's wife saw his naked body and flicked his small, shrivled penis. She would later describe his body to guest at cocktail parties.

leevancleef Guest
    i bet you that she would have rather f*cked his" smal and shriveled penis" when he was alive than her hubby's.

i love Montgomery. ive had a crush on him for years.

Helby Guest
    SO are there photos from that night floating around?

Vicki Lester Guest
    Why can't these rich stars afford a driver when they get stoned? Mel Gibson, Paris, etc.

His nickname was Princess Tinymeat. He had a very small penis.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Murphee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    I had always heard that he suffered facial disfigurement in a car crash, but have never seen photos. Does any one know if any exist ?? Did he have the damage repaired ? I would like to find out more
    Oh, the disfigurement is obvious in all of the pictures he did in the late 50's and early 60's.

19. 11-19-2011, 07:31 PM

Starstruck Guest
    My understanding on the disfigurement was paralysis, his movies after the accident required his closeups
    be filmed from one side because of it. He must have had nerve damage more so than big terrible scars.

I did think he was just beautiful though ** Sigh **

Bbeelzebub Guest
    He is my favorite actor. So tortured and flawed, yet so real. Before or after the accident, Monty still had it.

I read this book years ago. http://www.amazon.com/Monty-Biograph.../dp/0877951551 I've heard the book by Patricia Bosworth is better. Haven't gotten a chance to find a copy yet.

Anyhow, Monty got the raw end of the stick......... Brando and Dean became legends. Brando deservedly I suppose, but James Dean??? Three films and a bad accident does not a legend make. A Place in the Sun is one of my favorite movies. Monty and Liz on screen together with Shelly Winters. It doesn't get better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Not very creative, if I must say.

Bbeelzebub Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post

IIRC this rumor was started by the supposed coroner's wife. If you've ever been inside a morgue, everyone's dick looks small. They're dead, it shrivels up. Blood flow go bye bye. Maybe even worse than in the jacuzzi. I was inside the morgue one day and they had a couple guys on the slabs and it was all hanging out to say the least.

Atleast that is what I was told by my local coroner when I was doing my community service there and asked.

------------------------------------

Hollywood's favorite hot mess, Marilyn on Monty: ""The only person I know who is in even worse shape than I am."

That says a lot considering the tore up wreck of life she was. :-(
    Last edited by Bbeelzebub; 06-22-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hrhdiesel View Post
    Before the crash

After the crash

I think he looked more swollen...when you saw him act, his face was obviously partially paralysed as well as certain angled shots.
    For the era and his injuries, the surgeons did a great job.
    Much better than some of the current work you see, **cough** Priscilla Presley **cough**

Bbeelzebub Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post
    For the era and his injuries, the surgeons did a great job. Much better than some of the current work you see, **cough** Priscilla Presley **cough**
    I don't care what anybody says, pre or post accident. That man was straight out foxy.

Sweatcold Guest
    I'm a guy and if I could have looked like any other person, it would have been him--he was so brilliant in "From Here To Eternity".

Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post
    For the era and his injuries, the surgeons did a great job.
    Much better than some of the current work you see, **cough** Priscilla Presley **cough**
    The **cough** Pricilla Presley **cough** was dead on! Now THAT looks like an auto accident trying to be covered up. I wonder why stars **cough** Kenny Rogers, Cher, Mickey Rourke **cough** all think they look BETTER, they look hideous! Unatural!

As for Monty, yeah, they really did a great job on covering up the lacerations, but I'm sure he felt like his youth and motivation vanised that day...

Ya know... ol' Tom Cruise could actually play Montgomery Clift I think... at least his later years!

Bbeelzebub Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangitbawb View Post
    Ya know... ol' Tom Cruise could actually play Montgomery Clift I think... at least his later years!

You left off part of your sentence, ".... if Tom Cruise could actually act." There.

Quote Originally Posted by Bbeelzebub View Post
    You left off part of your sentence, ".... if Tom Cruise could actually act." There.
    Well... ya GOT me on that one! Just because he could resemble him doesn't mean he can play him, I should have thought that one through...

MoonRabbit Guest
    In the classic RED RIVER I always thought Montgomery Clift kind of resembled Tom Cruise!

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm245938944/tt0040724

MoonRabbit Guest
    What a damn bitch she was if she did that to him! (flicking his privates and telling about it) I read that the husband was involved in that too.
    A couple of chicken shit bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRabbit View Post
    What a damn bitch she was if she did that to him! (flicking his privates and telling about it) I read that the husband was involved in that too.
    A couple of chicken shit bastards.
    I gotta agree... that's kinda low-class.

Here's the car he came out of.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Montgomery  Clift  1955 Chevrolet May 12, 1956 ..jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	44483

I first saw him in the Heiress will Olivia DeHaviland. Way more handsome than Tom Cruise. I agree- considering the time, they did a really good job on his face. It's a shame what happened to him.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

MissZoot Guest
    Monty's story just breaks my heart. So handsome, so talented, and so fragile. My personal fave movies of his are I Confess and Suddenly, Last Summer (this last largely because all of the performances except his are so over the top, and because of the way they comically tried to tap-dance around the harsh truths of Williams' story). I thought he was still beautiful in The Misfits and never understood the fuss about the results of the accident, either, but maybe I'm somewhat biased by the fact that so many actors and actresses today look so odd thanks to their excessive reliance on cosmetic procedures.

Anyway, for my money, he was a far better actor than Brando, yet Brando got all of the glory. Brando was crazy, but he was straight, and apparently that made it okay.

Bidmor Guest
    A brief but powerful performance turned in by Clift was in Judgement At Nuremberg, playing a mentally-challenged German laborer who was called as a witness against the Nazis for their sterilizations of Germans whom they deemed mentally incompetent to reproduce. Hitler didn't want his master race contaminated. Clift's performance in the witness box was heart-wrenching.

Tiger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MissZoot View Post
    Monty's story just breaks my heart. So handsome, so talented, and so fragile. My personal fave movies of his are I Confess and Suddenly, Last Summer (this last largely because all of the performances except his are so over the top, and because of the way they comically tried to tap-dance around the harsh truths of Williams' story). I thought he was still beautiful in The Misfits and never understood the fuss about the results of the accident, either, but maybe I'm somewhat biased by the fact that so many actors and actresses today look so odd thanks to their excessive reliance on cosmetic procedures.

Anyway, for my money, he was a far better actor than Brando, yet Brando got all of the glory. Brando was
    crazy, but he was straight, and apparently that made it okay.
    If Your talking abour Brando being "Straight"? I read he was the Pitcher & catcher on the other team in his younger & maybe older days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    If Your talking abour Brando being "Straight"? I read he was the Pitcher & catcher on the other team in his younger & maybe older days.
    Yep! Heard that too. He and Wally Cox (most of you are too young to know who he is) were bosom buddies, and rumor has it that it went beyond that.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

MissZoot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangitbawb View Post
    Yep! Heard that too. He and Wally Cox (most of you are too young to know who he is) were bosom buddies, and rumor has it that it went beyond that.
    Maybe I should rephrase my comment-he seemed straight, at least by the standard of the times.

Murphee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    A brief but powerful performance turned in by Clift was in Judgement At Nuremberg, playing a mentally-challenged German laborer who was called as a witness against the Nazis for their sterilizations of Germans whom they deemed mentally incompetent to reproduce. Hitler didn't want his master race contaminated. Clift's performance in the witness box was heart-wrenching.

Which is amazing as apparently he couldn't remember his lines and from what I've read, his performance was mainly improv.

Monty eating pasta with Marilyn in San Francisco, Oct. 16, 1960:

radiojane Guest
    That is an extremely unflattering picture of Marilyn. Monty looks like Phil Harris there.

Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    I think he is supposed to haunt the Rosevelt Hotel. I still doubt that. Of all the haunt. I am not sure he stayed the much when he was alive. It is said he still plays the bugle or trumpet he was practicing when he stayed there.
    That said, I did have a bit of an odd experience in the Plaze in NYC. Found out later that Lawrence Harvey stayed there during the making of the Manchurian Candidate. So, who knows?
    Hello everyone, I don't post often but love the forums here.

I was just visiting LA in mid-August. I stayed at the Roosevelt for 2 nights in the infamous room (928) where Monty stayed while he was preparing for his film "From Here to Eternity". I will tell you the ninth floor at the Roosevelt has had a lot of ghostly activity. I have a photo I took of the hallway leading to Room 928 that I cannot explain. Let me know what you see

Name:	IMG_6259.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	48276

I was hoping to be haunted by Monty, but nothing happened In the thread (ghosts and poltergeists) I should post more of what I learned about the Roosevelt. This is coming from the staff (I pumped them to get information)

Some interior shots of the room:

Name:	IMG_6251.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	192.6 KB 
ID:	48277Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6252.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	48278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6254.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	48279

I will have to read more about him. Thanks for the pictures Triccelli.

46. 09-22-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    I will have to read more about him. Thanks for the pictures Triccelli.
    You're welcome pkstracy It was fun staying at the Roosevelt....very creepy in the tower though