Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anton LaVey

Danny62 Guest

Anton Lavey

Okay lets hear the scoop on this guy!

I heard alot of his Satanism was just publicity?

still the dude looked creepy!!!

Kind of like criswell he claimed he couldn't look out the window and tell you what the weather was like!!

You gotta love Criswells hair in the opening of "Plan 9". Plus watching him read the cue cards...you can see his eyes moving back and forth!!

Anton was a fourth-rate bullshit artist. He was a limp con man with a hackneyed act. The reason famous people appeared with him only once is because his act fell apart quickly. Even gullible entertainers can spot a bad act in short order.

Werewolfantipaladin Guest
    If I remember right both Sammy Davis Jr and Jayne Mansfield were "members" of the Church of Satan. I read that he started it up because he was originally an organist in his Church and would see all the men show up for services then show up at the strip club where he moonlighted playing the organ there (no pun intended) and was disgusted with the whole hypocracy of organized faith. Whether or not he realized his was just as hypocritcal I can't say. I read his Satanic Bible, funniest thing in some places. I'll bet he had an easier job getting his religion made official than some of the other ones.

Danny62 Guest
    I read somewhere that Sharon Tate and the others were having a big satanic "orgy" party the night the Manson gang showed up because they summoned the wrong spirits!!

Kathyf Guest
    Here is a link that shows what he made up and what was really true.
    http://www.churchofsatan.org/aslv.html

Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    I read somewhere that Sharon Tate and the others were having a big satanic "orgy" party the night the Manson gang showed up because they summoned the wrong spirits!!

No orgy. No rituals, no party. Just some people hanging out after dinner on a very hot Friday night, one of them being 8.5 months pregnant.

The satanic bit was fed by the media - Sharon in a film called Eye of the Devil, and Roman directing Rosemary's baby. Both having to do with the occult. One of the police involved mentioned (because of the writing in blood) that it looked "ritualistic". Like putting gasoline on a fire, with the press.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Michaels View Post
    No orgy. No rituals, no party. Just some people hanging out after dinner on a very hot Friday night, one of them being 8.5 months pregnant.

The satanic bit was fed by the media - Sharon in a film called Eye of the Devil, and Roman directing Rosemary's baby. Both having to do with the occult. One of the police involved mentioned (because of the writing in blood) that it looked "ritualistic". Like putting gasoline on a fire, with the press.
    Scott,

Thanks for the clarification. I obviously have two lousy books.

One called: "Hollywoods greatest Mysteries By John Austin" is junk. I didn't get the story about the manson murders from this book but have found out some stuff in the book that isn't true.

I need to find out the name of the book I got this info out of. I am glad we have this forum so we can clear up what really happened!!

It went into all kinds of crap about satanism that night which is obviously bullshit!!!
    Last edited by Danny62; 10-09-2007 at 03:52 PM.

Danny62 Guest

I found the book

"Hollywood and the supernatural by Sherry hanson Steiger and Brad steiger"

It goes into them using hard drugs and Jay at one time had thrown a lucifer party and all the guest were supposed to chant specific incantations as they entered the house.

Another part of the worthless book says:

"THe white cord tied around each of their necks, linking them together, indicated that the murders believed that Sharon and Jay were adulterers. Everyone knew that they were lovers before her marriage to Polanski, so the members of the Manson family probably assumed they were still doing it.
    The hood over sebrings head was placed there to imprison his soul."

I mean this book really hypes the murders which is sad because it makes out Sharon and the others in a way as being responsible!!

And I was thinking I had some amazing information.

lol, maybe Jay did have a party like that, who knows. Just interesting how people can really take a thought and go with it. Another book you can ignore - aside from the photographs - Hollywood Babylon 1 and 2

Danny62 Guest
    lol, maybe Jay did have a party like that, who knows. Just interesting how people can really take a thought and go with it. Another book you can ignore - aside from the photographs - Hollywood Babylon 1 and 2
    I have 1 not 2.

So is Ken Schessler's-This is Hollywood a good read? I have an old copy from 1980's. I remember you showing us where he lived on the dearlydeparted tour!

Pisses me off how in the back of the book how he talks about how they are tearing down all these historic sites that are now banks or parking lots!!!!

I have 1 not 2.

So is Ken Schessler's-This is Hollywood a good read? I have an old copy from 1980's. I remember you showing us where he lived on the dearlydeparted tour!

Pisses me off how in the back of the book how he talks about how they are tearing down all these historic sites that are now banks or parking lots!!!!
    Ken Schessler's book is a good book, so is William Gordon's Ultimate Hollywood Tourbook, and Chris Epting's Marilyn Dyed Here and James Dean Died here and others. I love Chris.

Danny62 Guest
    Ken Schessler's book is a good book, so is William Gordon's Ultimate Hollywood Tourbook, and Chris Epting's Marilyn Dyed Here and James Dean Died here and others. I love Chris.
    Scott,

Could you compile a list of good reads when you get a chance and post them for us?

Also books with good death/gore photos!!

I love to read this shit and I am finding out I am wasting my money on books that are ending up worthless...the do make for good Hollywood Hype though!!

One of my favorite writers Kenneth Anger (Hollywood Babylon)
    is a big Anton Lavey fan.

Ken isn't a good reference.

Ms. K Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    One of my favorite writers Kenneth Anger (Hollywood Babylon)
    is a big Anton Lavey fan.
    Kenneth Anger is prone to exaggeration, if not outright fabrication.

In short, he's quite the bullshit artiste, and there are also tales floating around about him that have no basis in truth.

BeanBoyGirl Guest
    He helped Jayne and eventually killed her. He was in love with her.

RoRo Guest
    Hey Danny there is a great book on the manson murders by Greg King...cant remember the exact title now but you can find it on amazon and other book sites by author name. I think it is out of print now.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    Hey Danny there is a great book on the manson murders by Greg King...cant remember the exact title now but you can find it on amazon and other book sites by author name. I think it is out of print now.
    Hey thanks! I will take a look. Hopefully it isn't too expensive...sometimes these out of prints books get expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    Here is a link that shows what he made up and what was really true.
    http://www.churchofsatan.org/aslv.html
    Great link, Kathy! Very concise rundown.

My understanding from other sources is that LaVey very much wanted to be considered the next Alistair Crowley, but didn't have quite the substance to back up the style. Crowley told almost as many lies about himself (deliberately) as other people did, that it's really difficult to separate facts from fiction _there_ as well. I'd _love_ to read a good biography of Crowley, who deserved a lot of credit, despite his self-promotion, for his indirect contributions to a lot of Pagan and Wiccan ritual. I think he was a big influence on Gardner, although Traditionalists would probably disagree.

LaVey, on the other hand, seems to be a complete psycho!

Cheers,
    Amy

Keyser Soze Guest

Anton LaVey

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 12-03-2007 at 01:10 AM.

tensecondstolove Guest
    I read Marilyn Manson's book recently and he talked about how LaVey made him a minister in the church of Satan. Apparently the man lived in a crazy house! He was rich as hell.

tensecondstolove Guest
    BTW, who is that in your icon? It always reminds me of the lead singer of The Cult...

Keyser Soze Guest
    I LOVE The Cult!! Its a scene in the film "The Usual Suspects", its a part when they are discussing Keyser Soze, you should see it, you would dig it

tensecondstolove Guest
    Oh yes! I love that movie! Haven't seen it forever though so I didn't recognize it!

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    I LOVE The Cult!! Its a scene in the film "The Usual Suspects", its a part when they are discussing Keyser Soze, you should see it, you would dig it
    Soon as I saw your screen name I was onto it. Great flick.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Danny62 Guest
    He appeared on Johnny Carson alot. He more or less was a publicity hound and really didn't believe all that Satan crap!

Just knew it gave him attention!

Still was a creepy dude!!

HelenaHandbasket Guest
    I really respect LaVey, but I've never felt he was the crown prince of all that is evil and dark. He created a religion, made lots of money doing it and managed to create a persona we still talk about. I do like a lot of his ideas and I give him credit for being a showman. Some of his thoughts are pure shit as far as I'm concerned, but he never wanted anybody to buy 100% into everything he had to say. So, yeah, I like the guy.

mgpm Guest
    I'm not into people who want to shock others in order to make money. Especially when they aren't even into their own schtick.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Scott,

Thanks for the clarification. I obviously have two lousy books.

One called: "Hollywoods greatest Mysteries By John Austin" is junk. I didn't get the story about the manson murders from this book but have found out some stuff in the book that isn't true.

I need to find out the name of the book I got this info out of. I am glad we have this forum so we can clear up what really happened!!

It went into all kinds of crap about satanism that night which is obviously bullshit!!!
    There are 4 Satanic churches herein SF and all use LeVey as their master. LOL I have not attempted go go in any of them but have gone by them. The addresses are on the web, One was only 4 blocks from where I worked and this was his roginal one that was really his parents house that they gave him and his 2nd? wife, This guy created a farce and it took hold and these weird people ran with it. A few of the older cops here laugh when someone brings this up. They went so far as to wear the black or scarlet hooded capes . I did read somewhere in one of the papers they publish that they never did sacrifices as LeVey had stated,

HelenaHandbasket Guest
    I'm probably the only person willing to admit I respect LaVey. First and foremost, he was a showman. He was also great at claiming to have done or said things he didn't. Like the whole Mansfield thing. This whole "curse" business didn't come out until after the accident. I don't respect every single thing the guy said or did, I hate his attitude towards women. But, his pricniples aren't all that bad. LaVey never promoted sacrifices. In fact, two of his principles are "don't harm children" and "don't harm animals."

I've known several Satanists and they have been some of the nicest, most caring people I've ever met. Some of my closest friends are or were Satanists and I don't have a problem with that at all. They aren't the type to say "Well, Anton said....." because they know damn well LaVey didn't want people to take his word for it. That's what I respect about him, he was very much a make up your own mind kind of guy.

I had the Satanic Bible back in high school. As I recall, it was mostly self help philosophy and not much Satanism. .
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    Good pick, RoRo! This is THE best book I've ever read on the subject--gives excellent insight on Sharon's LIFE, not just her death...though it is the most specific piece I've ever read about the actual events of 8/9/69 also.

I could NOT put this book down, and I've read it twice more since the original read. HIGHLY recommended, though out of print as you noted. It can still be purchased from private sellers on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Sharon-Tate-Ma...1561594&sr=8-1

Edited to add: Forgot to add the name of the book--"Sharon Tate and the Manson Murders"

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Good pick, RoRo! This is THE best book I've ever read on the subject--gives excellent insight on Sharon's LIFE, not just her death...though it is the most specific piece I've ever read about the actual events of 8/9/69 also.

I could NOT put this book down, and I've read it twice more since the original read. HIGHLY recommended, though out of print as you noted. It can still be purchased from private sellers on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Sharon-Tate-Ma...1561594&sr=8-1

Edited to add: Forgot to add the name of the book--"Sharon Tate and the Manson Murders"
    Sounds like an awesome book. I need to check it out? Does anyone know if they have any biography out on Anton??

That would be an interesting read!!

HelenaHandbasket Guest
    There are two that I'm aware of. One is "The Secret Life of a Satanist" written by Blanche Barton, the other is "The Devil's Avenger: The Biography of Anton Szandor Lavey" by Burtn Wolfe. The Wolfe book is out of print though. Blanche Barton was his wife or mistress, so don't count on unbiased with that one. I haven't read either one, so I can't comment on their content. I do have "Satan Speaks" which is a collection of LaVey's thoughts on different subjects, it's actually not bad.

spoiledkitty Guest
    Here's what wikipedia had to say http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Szandor_LaVey
    His kids said on a website that he was a liar and he faked many things, which I guess would of made him the perfect showman/actor. Personally he kinda creeped me out.

If his principles were "don't harm children", and "don't harm animals", what do you make of the claims on the Church of Satan website?

Sounds like he was pretty abusive to his animals, and he let someone molest his grandson.

Katie Guest
    I didn't like him when he was alive, and I sure don't like him now. He was and is creepy.

(From Boing Boing)

For decades, the Victorian seen in the far left photo was a San Francisco landmark known as the Black House. It was home to Church of Satan founder Dr. Anton LaVey from 1967 until his death in 1997. After falling into disrepair, the Black House was sadly demolished in 2001. The current owners of the property built three cheesy condominiums in its place that are just now up for sale. My friend Greg Long snapped this photo of the new development last weekend. I hope that a rich Satanist buys the condos and paints them black as a memorial. Here's what the Church of Satan said about the Black House in 1998 during their efforts to save the place:
    Originally built in the 1880's, it survived the devastating 1906 fire and earthquake. It's been a speakeasy, a "spook parlour" and, when Dr. LaVey bought it in 1956, it was owned by one of Mammie Pleasant's girls, one of the most notorious madams in San Francisco. Dr. LaVey made it world-famous when he performed history's first Satanic wedding and baptism here; his 500-pound lion, Togare, was raised here. Dr. LaVey was forced to sell the house several years ago because of a relentless civil suit. That fight almost killed him, but this house meant a great deal to him. He said it was part of his own personality - that its roots went all the way to Hell.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Katie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    (From Boing Boing)

For decades, the Victorian seen in the far left photo was a San Francisco landmark known as the Black House. It was home to Church of Satan founder Dr. Anton LaVey from 1967 until his death in 1997. After falling into disrepair, the Black House was sadly demolished in 2001. The current owners of the property built three cheesy condominiums in its place that are just now up for sale. My friend Greg Long snapped this photo of the new development last weekend. I hope that a rich Satanist buys the condos and paints them black as a memorial. Here's what the Church of Satan said about the Black House in 1998 during their efforts to save the place:
    Originally built in the 1880's, it survived the devastating 1906 fire and earthquake. It's been a speakeasy, a "spook parlour" and, when Dr. LaVey bought it in 1956, it was owned by one of Mammie Pleasant's girls, one of the most notorious madams in San Francisco. Dr. LaVey made it world-famous when he performed history's first Satanic wedding and baptism here; his 500-pound lion, Togare, was raised here. Dr. LaVey was forced to sell the house several years ago because of a relentless civil suit. That fight almost killed him, but this house meant a great deal to him. He said it was part of his own personality - that its roots went all the way to Hell.
    It looks small. Was it long rather than wide? Do you have a description of the inside?

No, sorry.

Katie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    No, sorry.

Is that you in the picture?

In my avatar? God no! I only wish I was that beautiful!

Katie Guest
    Have you ever done the ghost tours in San Antonio? Was it worth it?

No. I dont really get downtown that much anymore.

qulevergrrl Guest
    I know Scott hates him, but I used to really enjoy Anger's books. Scott kinda set me straight on him. There is a definite, however, six degrees thing going on with Anton LaVey and Sharon Tate. LaVey knew Anger who mentored Bobby Beausoleil, who was a Manson family member and murderer, and other family members killed Tate. I doubt Sharon Tate ever got any closer to LaVey than that.

I worked with a sound engineer who had been hired for the audio portion of filming for Anton LaVey's last scheduled shoot. According to him, when they arrived at this huge property in the foothills of Orange County (not the SF one), they were greeted by a large group of biker type roughians and possibly white supremacists. He claims that they ordered the film crew off the property very aggressively. They had been invited, though. So the crew became pretty irritated and fought back. Guns were drawn, thus they beat the hasty retreat. What's fact and what isn't:

LaVey's death wasn't immediately reported. I can't find the AP obit date, but we all know that he died at least two days before it was released and possibly more than that.

He did have property in Orange County. Of course, the myth is that the building at 666 Anton Street near South Coast Plaza was owned by the Church of Satan. Myth.

LaVey was held up as a hero by white supremacists. I don't think he fought his hero status in their midsts.

Finally, I know my co-worker was booked for the gig in advance, because he was talking about it for the better part of a week before, and he did not share our death hag ways. It was a job for him. No fascination involved.

The shady parts:

He died in SF. When was he planning on going to Orange County. I know it is a short plane trip (45 min or so), but still...

I cannot find anything about the property he owned or where it was.

Nothing was ever publicized about a film or television taping being cancelled after his death.

My thinking is that my friend either exaggerated what happened, or he was duped himself.

Does anyone else know more than this...I've looked online.

I dont even remember hearing about his death. What was the official report. Why on earth would a man that old invite dangerous elements like that to his property? Was he senile? Do you have any more info? I'm sure any nefarious do-ins would have leaked.

qulevergrrl Guest
    he was only 66 or 67. I think his daughter was into the whole white supremacy thing. He was stupid. That might answer some of the questions. ha ha ha ha ha. I mean really now, he plagarized most of his stuff and then totally admits to it. The Church of Satan doctrine is based largely on Ayn Rand and the objectivists theories. He was just another follower of hers. lol. Anyway, I think my co-worker was the idiot for taking the gig...but then again, my morbid curiosity might get the better of me. I might have gone too.

Yeah, I wasnt too impressed with him after reading his stuff in high school. He seemed to be much more of a publicity hound than a true leader of any type.

zack Guest

Lightbulb Anton Lavey

I'm a bit surprised after reading a bit about him that he kicked the ashes so young.Does anyone know the cause of death,and his real age.

Nicki Guest
    Last edited by Nicki; 02-11-2011 at 12:31 AM.