Thread: Rick Danko: The Band

Rick Danko: The Band

Rick was an incredibly talented muscian; as were all of the members of "The Band"; in the late 60's; early 70's. Collectively; they played pretty much every instrument ever invented.

They were: Levon Helm on drums and vocals; Garth Hudson on organ and keyboards; Robbie Robertson on guitar; Richard Manuel on keyboards and vocals; and Rick Danko on bass and vocals.

Rick had a haunting voice; an unusual cadence; and an incredible stage prescence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJXc0NRCmRQ

Kathyf Guest
    They sound great! Thanks never heard of them.

dirk diggler Guest

The band

Wow did not know Rick Danko had died I saw the Band when they came out here in late eighties or there abouts without Robbie Robertson everyone put on a great show at smaller venue in Sydney called the "Enmore theatre" down the front could see Rick singin and playing as clear as day..RIP man
    Also "The Last Waltz",( No not Engelbert Humpanythink!) is a video anyone who loves music should checkout..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TolFhaXv1_w
    Last edited by dirk diggler; 12-03-2007 at 03:22 AM.

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    They sound great! Thanks never heard of them.
    Check out some of their songs...you have heard them but didn't know it was them. The Last Waltz featured their last concert in San Francisco (awesome). Rick Danko performed The Weight here in 1997 (pitiful) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UytjQ...eature=related. I like Levon Helm's version with The Band better (IT'S A CLASSIC!). Here he is singing "It Makes No Difference" with The Band (one of my favorites of his).

magblax Guest
    Oops forgot the link to "It Makes No Difference" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_qZT3kdxI4

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Rick was an incredibly talented muscian; as were all of the members of "The Band"; in the late 60's; early 70's. Collectively; they played pretty much every instrument ever invented.

They were: Levon Helm on drums and vocals; Garth Hudson on organ and keyboards; Robbie Robertson on guitar; Richard Manuel on keyboards and vocals; and Rick Danko on bass and vocals.

Rick had a haunting voice; an unusual cadence; and an incredible stage prescence.

Richard Manuel committed suicide in the 90's as well. I think he hung himself.

Yeah,

He hung himself during a "reunion" tour; I think in Florida. The only original member not in attendance was Robbie Robertson; who IMO; is one of the greatest guitarists ever. The reunion tour had two guitarists to replace him.

If you watch The Last Waltz; the part where Clapton is on stage; you can see in his face the surprise at Robertson's skill.

I still listen to Big Pink. Levon Helm is one of the greatest musicians alive.

qulevergrrl Guest
    Danko was great. Onstage he would always dance with no rythm. That always cracked me up.

TNpuck Guest
    I had no idea that he had died. I just watched "The Last Waltz" a couple of weeks ago.

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffsboys4 View Post
    I still listen to Big Pink. Levon Helm is one of the greatest musicians alive.
    Agreed!

cherryghost Guest
    Dylans electric backing Band ! Guess thats where the name "The Band" comes from. I love them! Quite timeless music! The Last Waltz is a Martin Scorscese film too so Up on the Plasma screen it goes Kathy!
    Last edited by cherryghost; 12-14-2007 at 02:32 AM.

Jenny Mulhenny Guest
    The Last Waltz is the greatest concert film ever. I love the part where Van Morrison, obviously intoxicated, dances crazily right off into the wings and Robertson, looking so amused, hollers, "Van the Man!"

seberly Guest
    I saw Rick Danko and Levon Helm with Ringo Starr's first All-Starr Band. Prior to the show didn't know much about either one of them, and I left being fans of both.

ApricotRoses Guest

THE BAND was awesome. I was truly saddened by Rick Danko's death. I agree.. his voice was haunting... he rocked!!

lois steeme Guest
    I heard one song that blew me away by Danko; I have been trying to find it without success.

I loved this one song. I didn't know that Rick Danko had passed, and I am truly sorry to hear it.

This might not sound very nice but it's times like this when I wonder why talented people like Rick Danko have to go instead of publicity-seeking fluff like Britney Spears.

*slap* Who said life was fair?

Quote Originally Posted by lois steeme View Post
    I heard one song that blew me away by Danko; I have been trying to find it without success.

I loved this one song. I didn't know that Rick Danko had passed, and I am truly sorry to hear it.

This might not sound very nice but it's times like this when I wonder why talented people like Rick Danko have to go instead of publicity-seeking fluff like Britney Spears.

*slap* Who said life was fair?
    True, but Rick battled his own Demons as well.

Do you recall any of the lyrics from the song you were searching for?

I may recognize it.

cherryghost Guest
    It takes all types in this world, I do love the Band!

Forever-27 Guest
    I had no idea that he had died. Cripple Creek and The Weight are among my favorite songs. Oh well, so much for any sort of reunion.

In this world any way...

tuesdays_jupiter Guest
    The Band ...awesome...RIP Rick

wilkhall Guest
    I am a HUGE fan of the band. I am one of those people that grew up with musicians, still play in bands...and have several influences...of different types of music. If I was on a island and was given 3 cd's I could pick, they would be Essentials" by Johnny Cash "legend" by Bob Marley and "the best of the band" The band! I have a wide taste.

People wanting to see the band in all their glory need to rent the dvd the last waltz, great because they play alot of their hits (up on crippled creek is probably the coolest song ever written) but they also play back up to acts like joni Mitchell, Neil Young and Bob Dylan. i will say this...download the band song "it makes no difference" from the last waltz...that is the essential Rick Danko song!

Sad, Garth (keyboard player) killed himself in 1986...and Danko lost a teenage son and never recovered...he blew up to 300 pounds...and looked like shit...his body finally gave out in 1999.
    Great band though!

cherryghost Guest
    Robbie Robertson is still ageing gracefully and actively isnt he?

Levon was/is a great singer on the drums!

Levon is the name of an Elton John song, any relation JC?

Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    Robbie Robertson is still ageing gracefully and actively isnt he?

Levon was/is a great singer on the drums!

Levon is the name of an Elton John song, any relation JC?
    From songfacts.com:

In Susan Black's book Elton John in His Own Words, Elton says of "Levon": "It"s about a guy who just gets bored doing the same thing. It's just somebody who gets bored with blowing up balloons and he just wants to get away from it but he can't because it's the family ritual." (thanks, Alexander - London, England)The name "Levon" came from Levon Helm, the drummer and one of the lead singers of The Band. Elton and his lyricist, Bernie Taupin, were big fans of The Band.

As for Robbie, from Wiki:

On 9 February 2002, Robertson performed "Stomp Dance (Unity)" as part of the Opening Ceremony of the 2002 Winter Olympic Games in Salt Lake City, Utah.
    At the 2003 commencement ceremonies at Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario, Robertson delivered an address to the graduating class and was awarded an honorary degree by the university. In 2006, he announced plans to write his autobiography.
    In 2003, Robertson was inducted into Canada's Walk of Fame.
    In 2006, Robertson recorded with Jerry Lee Lewis and Sam Bidleman on "Last man standing" on track "Twilight". Robertson has three children.
    On July 28, 2007, at Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival in Bridgeview, Ill, Robertson made a rare appearance on stage and played briefly.

Enjoy, Cherryghost!

John Connor Guest
    I could never makes sense of Levon. I thought Levon was a bad father because his son Jesus blows up balloons all day and Levon just like money.

....anyway.

Forever-27 Guest
    The Last Waltz is one of thoes MUST get albums if you get the chance. All the greats perform with The Band on it. Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Neil Diamond, The Staple Singers, Neil Young, Emmilou Harris , Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr, Van Morrison.... Gawd its awsome. Theres a film that goes with the album set. Its a 4 record set as I remember. Ive never seen the film but want to
    Last edited by Forever-27; 11-05-2011 at 03:25 PM.

trose Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wilkhall View Post
    Sad, Garth (keyboard player) killed himself in 1986
    Ummm...no. That would be Richard Manuel. In Levon's book, he said he figures Richard did it to "shake things up". Garth Hudson is still alive and well to my knowledge.

I LOVE The Band, and Levon Helm in particular. His voice just makes me melt. I know, I'm a freak.

To me they are just the greatest. Other bands are bigger and flashier, but The Band was just so tight musically and lyrically - fantastic.

John Connor Guest

rickenbacker Guest
    "I said wait-a minute Chester!"

Danko's voice, his phrasing on that ONE LINE is one of the most memorable moments in music for me. It's like just that small segment ties all the emotion of the song together. Love The Band!

Those guys had been together for so long; each one knew what the others were thinking...

One of my favorites...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZwkxHYM7lI
    Last edited by JimC; 09-19-2008 at 06:00 PM.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

trose Guest
    As much as Levon's voice can make me melt, Rick's voice and Richard's as well can make me cry.

This is one of my favorite's of Ricks:

He was an incredible talent and The Last Waltz is amazing.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Forever-27 Guest
    Thought id bump the thread since PBS is showing The Last waltz right now on Tv

Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    Thought id bump the thread since PBS is showing The Last waltz right now on Tv
    Damn!

I wondered why this one had surfaced after such a long time.

I had the Last Waltz DVD twice - the first one I had loaned along with "Plan 9 From Outer Space" to a friend just prior to Hurricane Katrina - the friend survived; house, home and possessions; not so much.

As "Last Waltz" totally kicks ass (even though heavily dubbed), I bought it (and Plan 9) again; loaned it to someone else, and lost it in a "move."

Guess I'll get it for a third time - it is too good not to have.

I think that "The Last Waltz" is the best concert footage ever shot that does not include Freddie Mercury.

Forever-27 Guest
    Thats what happened to my copy ! I owned The Last Waltz, loaned it out and never got it back.

I am a HUGE Neil Young fan. He, along with Warren Zevon and Nick Lowe form my personal Holy Trinity.

That being said - listening to him & Joni Mitchell just absolutely *crucify* "Helpless" has to be one of THE most excruciatingly painful things I have ever had to sit through in my 49 years.

Of course, this probably wasn't a help either:

"A large blob of cocaine hanging from Neil Young's nose was edited out in post-production through rotoscoping"

VCNJ~

Quote Originally Posted by VeuveClicquotNJ View Post
    "A large blob of cocaine hanging from Neil Young's nose was edited out in post-production through rotoscoping"
    VCNJ~
    I never knew that!

If you watch closely as Ronnie Hawkins approaches the stage, you will see him take a "snort".

Crazy times, great music - and Warren Zevon is one of my faves, too.

Veracruz and Roland...

Not Fade Away Guest
    I love The Band sooo sooo much. I'm a huge Bob Dylan fan so that was my initial introduction to them, but they most definitely stand alone in their work as well. The Last Waltz is amazing, though if you read Levon's book he has less than nice things to say about the experience.

I saw Levon Helm a few years ago performing in a beautiful small venue (an old opera house) and it was such an experience, truly the first time I ever realized what people meant when they referred to music as being a spiritual experience.

When I first got interested in The Band, when I was about 13 years old, Rick was my favorite. I remember when he died even though I was fairly young.

Anyway, I just love The Band. Even Robbie :P

Damn!

I wondered why this one had surfaced after such a long time.

I had the Last Waltz DVD twice - the first one I had loaned along with "Plan 9 From Outer Space" to a friend just prior to Hurricane Katrina - the friend survived; house, home and possessions; not so much.

As "Last Waltz" totally kicks ass (even though heavily dubbed), I bought it (and Plan 9) again; loaned it to someone else, and lost it in a "move."

Guess I'll get it for a third time - it is too good not to have.

I think that "The Last Waltz" is the best concert footage ever shot that does not include Freddie Mercury.

We have the DVD, I think I'll dig around for it....
    As for Plan 9, what a blast that is!

Speaking of The Band

Great little video
    Band influenced..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SURma5PlfGs

MissZoot Guest
    Loved Danko-I must have watched The Last Waltz every night for two months straight at one point. To this day, I can't entirely hate Ashton Kutcher because I always thought Kelso was modelled on Rick in the scene in LW where he plays Spill the Wine for Scorcese. Of course, I also think Nigel in Spinal Tap was modelled on Rick's rather charming...confusion.

I agree that It Makes No Difference is quintessential Danko-disarming in its artlessness. And occasionally I hear a song (for instance I and Love and You by the Avett Brothers) and think, wow, they must have listened to The Band as much as I did.

I may be in the minority here, but I adore Robbie-his solo work is so evocative. Of course, Rick's work on Hold Back the Dawn was a real highlight for me, so I guess we know where my true allegiance lies!

Not Fade Away Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MissZoot View Post
    Loved Danko-I must have watched The Last Waltz every night for two months straight at one point. To this day, I can't entirely hate Ashton Kutcher because I always thought Kelso was modelled on Rick in the scene in LW where he plays Spill the Wine for Scorcese. Of course, I also think Nigel in Spinal Tap was modelled on Rick's rather charming...confusion.

I agree that It Makes No Difference is quintessential Danko-disarming in its artlessness. And occasionally I hear a song (for instance I and Love and You by the Avett Brothers) and think, wow, they must have listened to The Band as much as I did.

I may be in the minority here, but I adore Robbie-his solo work is so evocative. Of course, Rick's work on Hold Back the Dawn was a real highlight for me, so I guess we know where my true allegiance lies!
    I wouldn't say you're the only one who appreciates Robbie's solo work. I listened to Storyville a great deal when I was younger, and his two Native American albums are really interesting, though I prefer Contact from the Underworld of Red Boy over Music for the Native Americans.

Once I had a friend staying over and she was asleep on the couch behind me and I played Somewhere Down The Crazy River on my computer and when she woke up she thought she had dreamed the song. I totally knew what she meant! It has such a late night, dreamy quality. I haven't checked out his latest, is it good?

I heard an interview with him not too long ago where he told a funny story about The Band's backing days for Dylan. Dylan claimed to know how to play with a rock band, but really had no idea and so they were all sort of learning how to make it work in front of a live audience, and that may have had something to do with the booing; it wasn't necessarily that the audience was folk purists after all.

Honestly, I'm far more familiar with Robertson's solo output than I am with the other members, and I've actually seen Levon Helm in concert (the most amazing concert I've attended!). Levon's book paints a very poor picture of Robbie, and I do tend to believe that picture is fairly accurate. I can, however, separate personal lives from musical output. Therefore aside from his craptastic treatment of his bandmates, I can appreciate his music a great deal.

Oh, and you're so right about Rick's charming confusion. I always found him absolutely adorable and crushed over him a great deal. My crushes were always so interesting compared to everyone else my age.
    Last edited by Not Fade Away; 11-05-2011 at 05:08 PM.

MissZoot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Fade Away View Post
    Oh, and you're so right about Rick's charming confusion. I always found him absolutely adorable and crushed over him a great deal. My crushes were always so interesting compared to everyone else my age.
    LOL-I'm the same way. I was never into any of the "standard" guy of the moment types. And I developed my crush on Last Waltz-era Rick in the late nineties, so I didn't even bother to limit myself to people as they were at the time. It was something of a Somewhere in Time approach, but what the heck!

It never seemed to me that anyone in The Band had any real animosity toward Robbie other than Levon. I've read a few other things about them besides Levon's book, and I get the sense that it was an issue of two very strong type A personalities butting heads. I adore Levon, saw him live when he had his place in New Orleans and I think he's incredibly talented, but I don't think he is blameless in the breakup. I felt sorry for Garth, Rick and Richard, who were (to again borrow from Spinal Tap) lukewarm water to Robbie and Levon's fire and ice. They were all incredibly talented musicians, but they didn't have that elusive "it" that allowed the other two to really succeed after The Band called it quits.

I now have the urge to watch The Last Waltz and laugh at Van Morrison's suit. For some reason, I find that very entertaining.