Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ritchie Valens

Quote Originally Posted by bulletnose View Post
    Like beating a dead horse! Will this deabte ever end? Ritchie had 3 hits before his untimely death and who knows how far his career would have went. But bigger than Elvis?
    I've heard the same about Buddy Holly. My opinion? NO WAY to both.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Like beating a dead horse! Will this debate ever end? Ritchie had 3 hits before his untimely death and who knows how far his career would have went. But bigger than Elvis?
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I've heard the same about Buddy Holly. My opinion? NO WAY to both.
    I agree. How can people say, with such certainty, that this or that artist or actor/actress will have a long and lasting career?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Didn't know that was a thing...

I finally broke down and watched La Bamba. I had never seen it before. It was released the week before I was born and it was number #3 on my birthday. Awesomeness.

I admit....I'm not a big crier when it comes to movies. But, at the end...when his mom found out. I cried like a freaking baby.

Anyone know if his brother is still alive? His sisters as well?
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

IIRC, Valens' brother Bob died a few years ago. I'm not sure if his sisters are still living. Join the club, toddmanning, I cried like a baby when I saw "La Bamba."
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Pryncis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    IIRC, Valens' brother Bob died a few years ago. I'm not sure if his sisters are still living. Join the club, toddmanning, I cried like a baby when I saw "La Bamba."
    Who couldn't? I know I sure did...

I thought Bob was still alive after I read the tribute site to Valens. Bob was a total badass looking dude in those pics I saw of him on there.

So sad to hear that Bob is gone now too.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

Sylviaknowles Guest
    Isnt there an entire website dedicated to the criminal investigation on the valens, booper and holly deaths? I think i maybe have read about it at one point.....

lisalouver Guest
    Alan, do you have a link about Bob Morales dying?

Last I heard, he was alive, as recent as 2010. I havent heard anything about him dying, or Irma his sister either.

I start crying when Bob screams "Richie!" I could cry right now and I haven't see LaBamba in ages.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Alan, do you have a link about Bob Morales dying?

Last I heard, he was alive, as recent as 2010. I havent heard anything about him dying, or Irma his sister either.
    Quoting myself LOL

Alanwench, you mentioned Bob Morales dying - I still havent been able to find anything on this.

Please post a link if you have one - thanks!!

FYI. an episode of The Will on Oct.25th will feature a story about Ritchie and the problems his family had over the rights to his property and his songs. The show airs on the ID channel (Investigation Discovery).

FYI. an episode of The Will on Oct.25th will feature a story about Ritchie and the problems his family had over the rights to his property and his songs. The show airs on the ID channel (Investigation Discovery).
    Oooh...thanks for the tip. Will have to set my DVR!

The show is pretty good. I recently saw the one with Tammy Wynette. Her daughters got royally screwed. They only got $5k each!

I stand corrected, Richie's brother Bob is very much alive. Richie's manager was a greedy bastard!
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

lisalouver Guest
    I stand corrected, Richie's brother Bob is very much alive. Richie's manager was a greedy bastard!
    I missed this episode of The Will - but it will repeat tonight at 11. Was Bob on it?

Just caught the end of it. See Larry Lehmer was on it, I met him a few times when he wrote the book The Day the Music died. Great guy, awesome book.

I think most peeps are posting on the buddy holly thread......
    "if you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first" Kurt Cobain

[SIGPIC] http://phineas4cobain.tumblr.com/post/36392280360 [/SIGPIC]

I saw the ID show tonight. Man, what an a-hole Bob Keene was to keep most of RV's royalties from the family like that.

ok thats it i have to get ID

lisalouver Guest
    Got the chance to watch the re-run. It was good. I was glad to see Connie, Irma and BOB! I always loved Bob.

Way back in the 90's, got to meet them at one of the Winter Dance Parties at the Surf. I also participated in the petition to get Ritchie in the Rock and Roll Hall of fame. His family and friends were highly involved in that in the 90's.

I'm watching this right now. The whole thing is just sad.

I saw that episode, too. I was truly shocked that Bob Keene kept Richie's royalties to himself for so many years and gave almost nothing to his mother. I'm glad they finally challenged him, as Richie would have wanted them to.

The next epi on The Will is Andy Warhol, should be interesting.

Alycat32 Guest
    Every time the movie comes on I can't get sleepwalk out of my head for days. Bob on the bridge kills me every time. Sometimes I laugh awkwardly when he screams to pretend I'm not sad and uncomfortable.

I was also surprised how Ritchie was actually a chubbier teen. Looking at him he seems very mature and I had a hard time believing he was only 17. Then again it was always hard to swallow Lou Diamond only playing a high schooler in that movie

Alycat32 Guest
    I was just thinking how great he would have been as a guest on I love lucy as maybe an act n Ricky's club show.

Nelliebean Guest
    He's a client at our vet hospital here in Watsonville.

Happy birthday, Ritchie. He would have been 73 today.

Happy Birthday, Richie
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

SHARONTATEFAN2014 Guest
    The movie La Bamba was mostly fiction! Ritchie had flown previously to February 1959. Plus Ritchie WAS NOT present when the accident happened at his school! He was attending a family members funeral. La Bamba is a great film, but if you actually know Ritchie's real story, you know what really went down. There was a book, The First Latino Rocker, that is really good!

Buddyhistorian Guest
    Hubert Dwyer took the truth to his grave! RIP

Sharon it doesn't state in the movie that Ritchie was there during the accident at the school, he heard about it and heard his friend was killed, thus the dreams he had. No movie out there is going to get exactly everything 100 percent correct. The family was pleased how the movie turned out so I guess that is all that matters.

SHARONTATEFAN2014 Guest
    The Day The Music Died is a great book. I have it in my bio collection....

Poo Bah MCGee Guest
    Ritchie was badly crushed and suffered massive cranial damage. Buddy's head damage was far more traumatic. The Bopper's body had been thrown through the fabric of the aircraft, and almost every bone was splintered in several places. Roger Peterson was crushed into a ball inside the wreckage. There was no fire, thank God.
    An investigation of the plane wreckage might reveal something, but it's rather doubtful of what. It is said to be buried someplace on the owners private land.
    There were no gunshots and no criminal actions leading to the crash; it was an under-experienced pilot flying in very marginal conditions with a fully loaded plane. An exhumation of the remains would reveal only bone breakage and little more.
    Ritchie was a barrier breaker at the beginning of both the rock and roll and civil rights eras. Flying with two Texas rockers shows something about how these guys cared about each other. Three decent, talented guys (four really), that put their faith in technology and lost it all in one gamble.

Odds are you're probably right about the gun, but we really don't know what happened before the crash.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

The Big Bopper was exhumed a few years ago at the request of his son. In a remarkable state of preservation, or so the news story says. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...hardson-father
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    The Big Bopper was exhumed a few years ago at the request of his son. In a remarkable state of preservation, or so the news story says. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...hardson-father
    I have read this story many times, but it's still a good one. I can only imagine the mixed emotions that Jr. felt that day.

I didn't know that Jr died in 2013 of heart problems - I wonder if he is buried near his dad?
    My Posse's On Broadway

Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post
    I have read this story many times, but it's still a good one. I can only imagine the mixed emotions that Jr. felt that day.

I didn't know that Jr died in 2013 of heart problems - I wonder if he is buried near his dad?
    That had to have been a surreal moment, and a very sad one. I told some friends about it, and they wondered if any photos were taken. I wonder ? His biological sister died in 2010, leaving him 4 half siblings from his mother's second marriage, who sued him for royalties to his father's music after the death of their mother in 2004 ! http://www.mrt.com/news/article/Sibl...es-7779880.php
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

I saw what was supposed to be a head shot death pic taken sometime after the crash. If it was real it was probably an autopsy snap. His head was caved in on one side.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I saw what was supposed to be a head shot death pic taken sometime after the crash. If it was real it was probably an autopsy snap. His head was caved in on one side.
    If you mean Ritchie, his face would have been completely unrecognizable. The one side was crushed and the skull split. In the shots of him on the ground, the areas where snow drifted on his head were where the splits were located. From what I can tell, the Big Bopper was the most fortunate of the four on the plane.

38. 12-21-2017, 08:43 PM

39. 12-27-2017, 09:07 PM

Poor guy, he should have trusted his instincts and stayed in the bus that night but fate intervened. It was such a bad plane crash as well with the victims the way they were, I feel for the clean up team. RIP Ritchie, Buddy, J.P and Roger (pilot), sad, sad, way to go.

I never knew any photos existed of the victims after the crash. Story goes Coroner "lost" the pictures. Sad day RIP.

His brother bob died in 2018 and was nothing like what was portrayed in the movie https://www.dailynews.com/2018/09/20...ns-dies-at-81/
    https://www.distractify.com/p/what-h...valens-brother

The movie was contrived to show a talented kid, crawling uphill over all the bad breaks, finding success and being brutally removed. Remember, what they write in production ain't nescessarily so.
    Ritchie was talented, good looking and giving a voice to his people. The night he died he did not have a cold or the flu, nor was he afraid of airplanes, nor did he have a hot date waiting for him. He wanted to sleep in a warm bed and get his clothes washed. He was a decent kid with a bright future.

Yes, photos were taken of the three singers. Buddy and Ritchie's heads were split and the brains mostly eviscerated. The Bopper was found only in his boxers, with the rest of his clothing having been torn off as he went through the plane's fuselage. The young pilot was folded up inside the wreckage. It was very violent and instantaneous.
    AFAIK, the photos have never been released, but may still exist.

Here are some recently added colorized pics from the crash. These were posted on a FB page that I follow.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/deathhagsoftheworld/permalink/10158173758393802/
    Last edited by Shejay; 10-28-2020 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post
    Here are some recently added colorized pics from the crash. These were posted on a FB page that I follow.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/deathhagsoftheworld/permalink/10158173758393802/
    I had to join, but glad to do it. Thanks for sharing.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I never seen that pic, must of been crazy.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Ritchie was not afraid of planes, he was actually quite thrilled to be flying out that night. He didn't have the flu, that was J.P. who was sick. He didn't have a "hot date" waiting for him, as has been suggested. He wanted a hot shower, clean clothes, and a soft mattress. The movie was a great flick, but a tear-jerker story with very little based in fact.
    Still the plane crash that evening is one of the worst tragedies in R&R history; maybe the worst.