Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ritchie Valens

RubySlippers Guest
    hey, thanks for that. awesome story.

wdhebert Guest
    I must admit...La Bamba was the first movie I ever cried in! Can you believe my husband has never seen it? (He's 29!) Must rent soon!

alltogethernow Guest
    Richie Valens's music was so good for a musician so young. I can only imagine what else he would have done. I'm proud to say that my parents named me after his song "Oh Donna."

monroe27 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by desertangel View Post
    My daughter and I saw LaBamba in the theater. I had momentarily forgotten that he died in the plane crash, so when that part came on, my daughter started laughing and crying at the same time and saying "why didn't you warn me?" She was about 12 at the time. I remember feeling like a bad mother, but was also wondering if my daughter was "okay." Don't think I'd ever really seen someone laugh and cry at the same time, especially at something like that. I was a little worried. People deal with these things differently, don't they.
    omg yes! that was funny what your daughter did tho.

Quote Originally Posted by wdhebert View Post
    I must admit...La Bamba was the first movie I ever cried in! Can you believe my husband has never seen it? (He's 29!) Must rent soon!
    It doesn't matter how many times I see it, when Richie's brother hears the news and runs out and screams "RICHIE!" I lose it.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LaBamba

I have been listening to Ritchie's music in my car all week

Come On Let's Go is my fave

MoonRabbit Guest
    I think Richie Valens was cute!
    Astonishes me that someone that young could be so talented!

Vintage_Vixen Guest
    You can find out more about Ritchie on a website that is maintained by his brothers & sisters www.ritchievalens.com . Also, I have read (as Gary already posted...) That MEH lied about being pregnant - & in fact, before he died, Buddy had already met with a lawyer to inquire about divorcing her. (sorry I guess that should be on the Holly thread!)

Vintage_Vixen Guest
    Today is the 50th aniversary of the crash. RIP Buddy, Ritchie, JP & Roger.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    It doesn't matter how many times I see it, when Richie's brother hears the news and runs out and screams "RICHIE!" I lose it.
    I do the same thing. Even though I know what's about to happen, it still makes me cry every time.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    It's true, Richie was a mess. He was identified by the tattoo on his arm. "RV"
    I know Bopper had a closed casket service and I'm pretty sure the others did, too.
    Gary, didn't Richie basically land flat on his face? That would explain his being unidentifiable. His brain was also "eviscerated" to quote the death certificate.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

RIP Ritchie

monroe27 Guest
    My little one loves music. So tonight we are going to watch "Labamba". Fitting movie for the day.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by monroe27 View Post
    My little one loves music. So tonight we are going to watch "Labamba". Fitting movie for the day.
    Great choice monroe.

monroe27 Guest
    thanx Lisa! My daughter is loving this movie, she dances whenever the music plays.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by monroe27 View Post
    thanx Lisa! My daughter is loving this movie, she dances whenever the music plays.
    I should have my daughter watch it. She loves to ride in Grandpa's car because he plays all the 50's music!

I saw La Bamba a couple of years ago. Great movie, but Lou Diamond Philips didn't look at all like Richie
    Some people just need a high five.... in the face.... with a chair...

unihikid Guest
    true but you gotta remember in the early 80s there wernt too many hispanic/latin looking actors who were somewhat young.also remember that the movie idea came about in the 70s right along the time the buddy holley storey came out,the family gave the screenwriter 5 years to come up with the storey and he didnt deliver,they waited until another guy came along and bing they had a good story.

After acquiring a bunch of Ritchie's songs and listening to them then seeing all his pictures it's really hard to believe he was only 17.

Heavenly Tiger Guest
    Usted dejó buenas memorias le agradece Richard Steven Valenzuela

I live a couple blocks away from the Riverside Ballroom in Green Bay WI. The winter dance party performed there the night befor they were at the Surf. (there is actually a walking trail right behind my apartment, and It leads right through the parking lot to the Riverside. I walk that trail often.) outside the ballroom is a monument that was made by the same guy that made the statue that is at the crash site.
    Last edited by SassyMonkey719; 04-03-2009 at 12:25 PM.

rickenbacker Guest
    In honor of Ritchie's birthday today...thread bump.

lisalouver Guest
    Happy Birthday mijo

Happy Birthday Ritchie!!!!!!

My favorite Ritchie song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlyFAi7Xsh0

Best ever

lisalouver Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    me too! Los Lobos rocks! Voice is amazing!!

monroe27 Guest
    Happy Birthday Ritchie!

RubySlippers Guest
    you are right - he looks nothing like Richie.
    i met lou diamond phillips in grauman's chinese theater when he was doing an interview for la bamba (we were watching it opening weekend). backthen he was a nobody. only people would recognize him if they saw the movie. anyways, to a 11 year old he was AH MAZINGLY beautiful and incredibly tall. i remember seeing him and making the observation that Richie didn't look that tall in the movie. he was gracious and humble and YUMMY. been a fan ever since.

Lou Diamond Phillips is HAWT

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post

you have no idea. the thrill of my young, pre teen life.

He needs a thread, does he have one?

Lemme go have a look see.

Vintage_Vixen Guest
    Feliz Cumpleanos, Ritchie!!

smellslikealmonds Guest
    Hell yeah!

sheri Guest
    Feliz Cumpleanos, Ritchie. 68 years young today, and still fondly remembered.

You are missed much, thought of often, loved without end. Por favor continue to keep all ojos on your family and friends that are still with us.

*sorry my Spanglish isn't all that great*
    Last edited by sheri; 05-13-2009 at 05:18 PM.

unihikid Guest
    He needs a thread, does he have one?

Lemme go have a look see.

lol wow lol his career isnt that dead.

Quote Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
    lol wow lol his career isnt that dead.
    huh? who said his career is dead? what??????
    Last edited by findadeathaddict; 05-13-2009 at 07:02 PM.

***diana*** Guest
    Buddy was going to take Ritchie under his wing and help him produce music under the record label he was forming. How awesome that would have been. I don't know if this is already in this thread, but here is footage of Ritchie performing "Ooh My Head" in the movie "Go, Johnny Go."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaTOMsrVg5s
    Last edited by ***diana***; 05-13-2009 at 07:05 PM. Reason: fixed link

unihikid Guest
    oh i thought you were talking about how we needed a thread for lou diamond

DJ's_Hub-Hag Guest
    I just read all the posts of this thread and I echo the sentiments for Ritchie Valens.

Valens died Feb. 3, 1959. I was born Apr. 24, 1959.

Happy Birthday Ritchie!!

Quote Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
    oh i thought you were talking about how we needed a thread for lou diamond
    I was, but how does that relate to his career being dead?

I am sorry, I am confuuuuuusssssseeeeeedddd

Gary Guest
    I just read recently that Ritchie actually did a SECOND song for that movie (which was released after his death) but the second song was cut from the picture just before release. The song was:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpdN1hnY7yk
    Nobody has been able to locate the clip that was cut....probably thrown in the trash.
    Also, the guitar Ritchie is using for OOH MY HEAD was Eddie Cochran's guitar....Eddie was also in the movie.

***diana*** Guest
    Is this the movie Buddy was talking about in his interview with Freeman Hover? He put in a plug for Cochran's upcoming movie. If so, I didn't know Ritchie was going to be in it.

Gary Guest
    No. Eddie was also in two other movies. "Untamed Youth" and "The Girl Can't Help It" so Buddy was talking about one of them.

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    I was, but how does that relate to his career being dead?

I am sorry, I am confuuuuuusssssseeeeeedddd
    I think unihikid thought you meant about starting a thread in the dead muscians section, for Lou Diamond Phillips, instead of seeing if there was a thread in the entertainment section, for him.

BTW, I think Lou's Muy Caliente too! Loved him in Young Guns 2.

But, back to Ritchie Valens. Yes, Ritchie was not a slim kid. But, boy, could he play the splinters out of a guitar! I'm quite sure he would have had quite a successful future ahead of him.
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

***diana*** Guest
    "the sky belongs to the stars"
    Just watched "La Bamba" today. I know that line is hokey, but I love it. As usual, I got teary eyed at the end.

Angiebabynz Guest
    Reading all the Buddy Holly/Richie Valens threads made me seek out La Bamba, found it online for $5, and will be watching it this weekend, with my 12 year old. Methinks she'll be a Richie fan pretty soon!

ShockDoc Guest
    LaBamba comes on tonight (thur, 5/21) on Turner Classic movies at 9:15 pacific time.

Khaos696 Guest
    Get the DVD they cut some of the movie out when they play it on tv.

Kristal Guest
    I always get sad on Feb.3rd. Though I guess it's technically the 4th right now. RIP Ritchie!