Page 1 of 137 1231050100 ... LastLast

Thread: Station Nightclub fire in West Warwick, Rhode Island

Station Nightclub fire in West Warwick, Rhode Island

The fourth deadliest fire in US history. 96 peope died immediately, 4 other died afterwards for a total of 100. Total number of people at The Station on that fateful night was 404. The fire started at 11:08pm just seconds after the headlining band, Great White, started to play its opening song "Desert Moon." The fire was caused by the use of pyrotechnics by the band's road manager, Daniel Biechele. Here is Biechele's booking picture:

Biechele pleaded guilty to 100 counts of manslaughter and was sentenced to 15 years. Strangely many of the families do not blame Biechele and have lobbied for him to be released. He is due to get parole in March 2008 ( the parole board was amazed at the families ability to forgive Biechele.)
    The Station owners were sentenced to 15 and 10 years, respectively - suspended sentenced and probation. No jail time !!!

here is the NIST's investigation into the fire:
    http://www.nist.gov/public_affairs/factsheet/mar_3_rifindings

there were 4 exits but everyone tried to exit throught the main exit - 96 didn't make it. Most of the deceased were found piled on top of one another near the main exit. Cause of deaths: smoke inhalation, thermal injuries, blunt force trauma ( due to trampling)
    other tidbits: the nightclub had no sprinkler system
    the alarm was activated 41 seconds after the fire began
    the bulk of the patrons tried to exit 30 seconds after the fire
    began
    first 911 call took 40 seconds
    fire Dept was on the scene within 4 minutes

Here is a must see video of the fire !! I have never seen this before. you can hear the screams !!!
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e97_1175350379

A list of the dead:
    http://www.stationfirememorialfoundation.org/

there is a makeshift memorial at the site. The victims families are trying to raise money for a permanent memorial. Here is the website:
    http://www.stationfirememorialfoundation.org/mission.htm

they are registered with the IRS and donations are tax deductible. I gonna send them $50.00. Every disaster deserves a permanent memorial.

This is sad:
    http://www.myspace.com/stationfirememorial

The lead guitarist of Great White, Ty Longley, was killed during the fire.

his final resting place:
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=7201338

Great White has pledged to never play "Desert Moon" again. Here is the song. You have to read some of the comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEHfJMqvgIo
    Last edited by cash; 12-02-2007 at 03:01 PM.

Wasn't Ty Longley the guitarist?

Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    Wasn't Ty Longley the guitarist?
    you are correct.

Kellycatt1 Guest
    That was so sad, I remember listening to Great White when I was younger, and could not believe it when I heard they were involved in it.

Snoopy Guest
    Yeah it was a huge thing here in RI.. we drove by the site and there is just nothing left. very sad..the media here still has stories on it like it were yesterday..the trials and stuff were heavily covered.

Kathyf Guest
    That was so sad. Terrible or those poor people.

More Cheese Please Guest
    I don't know why the band manager gets nailed as the one with the most culpability in this tragedy. Don't the owners approve what occurs/doesn't occur within their venue with regards to allowing the pyrotechnics? No sprinkler system?

I don't think it's amazing that the victim's surviving families are rallying for him- I think it's amazing that the other a******s didn't receive any jail time. Did they even receive monetary punitive action like civil/wrongful death suits from the families?
    Last edited by More Cheese Please; 12-02-2007 at 12:11 PM.

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    I live in Rhode Island as well. It still is a very big thing here. Our state is so very small everyone seemed to know someone who either got hurt or perished. My husband lost his cousin and I lost a former co-worker. Terrible, terrible tragedy!

SquirrelNutZipper Guest
    I live in Boston and this tragedy was big news here too. They kept playing on the fact that Jeff Dederian was a former local reporter.

Anyway, did any of the fire inspectors get a reprimand? Warning? Anything? They were the one who inspected the club and should have noticed the egg carton insulation as one that would go up in flames immediately.

Tragic any way you look at it.

here is Great White's official website:
    http://www.mistabone.com/index.shtml

they are still performing at small venues around USA and Europe. No mention of the tragedy on the site.
    Last edited by cash; 12-02-2007 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    here is Great White's official website:
    http://www.mistabone.com/index.shtml

they are still performing at small venues around USA and Europe. No mention of the tragedy on the site.
    They probably want to pretend it never happened - altho everyone else still remembers, which is why none of their records sell anymore, and they'vepretty much been "forgotten" about. I don't think they are too well-liked by anyone, anymore.

i remember this well,as i had just got off work and saw it unfold live on tv.

i do not know the circumstances completely,but ty was one of the few in the front of the hall to perish,in the video he seems to go in the back,perhaps to warn the others.

if this is so,and i believe it is,some type of humanitarian award in his name should be established.

Cathy J. Guest
    Wasn't there a preacher somewhere that made the statement that those who had died in the fire "deserved it" and all will be "going to hell" because they were in a club that played rock music?

I remember hearing about it not long after this happened. I do know it was NOT Fred Phelps, I am thinking more like Pat Robertson or someone on TBN, but I am not sure.

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by More Cheese Please View Post
    I don't know why the band manager gets nailed as the one with the most culpability in this tragedy. Don't the owners approve what occurs/doesn't occur within their venue with regards to allowing the pyrotechnics? No sprinkler system?

I don't think it's amazing that the victim's surviving families are rallying for him- I think it's amazing that the other a******s didn't receive any jail time. Did they even receive monetary punitive action like civil/wrongful death suits from the families?
    I agree..the Derderians..The owners have been tried and are serving I believe some kind of punishment..Community service I believe..I think they should definately have had a tougher sentence.

Great White's Manager Released From Prison

http://www.nola.com/newsflash/index....ylist=national

So, your actions killed 100 people and you only get four years. On top of that, they let you out in less than two years. Justice ain't what it use to be.

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in Musicians. Mods, feel free to move it.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Those must have been some letters he wrote to the families if he had the support of some of them.
    The way he will pay the most is having to live with what happened for the rest of his life.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Wow I haven't thought about that in a awhile. I remember never thinking about anything like that happening. I used to squeeze into clubs & bars all the time. After that I was a little paranoid & I'd look for the exits.

itsintheeyes Guest
    He shouldn't have been the only one to serve time. But, that sentence still sucks ass.

Quote Originally Posted by itsintheeyes View Post
    He shouldn't have been the only one to serve time.

One of the owners of the bar was sentenced to four years, too. He's still behind bars. He's due to get out in October '09.

Well, Great White's career went down the toilet after all that, so they got their karma too - altho they did also lose a member in the fire.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Well, Great White's career went down the toilet after all that, so they got their karma too - altho they did also lose a member in the fire.
    Really? You mean that didn't happen in the 90s?

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    Really? You mean that didn't happen in the 90s?
    Well, you don't see them doing much touring anymore, and they weren't invited to the benefit Twisted Sister is doing to help the victims of the fire.

itsintheeyes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool Moon View Post
    One of the owners of the bar was sentenced to four years, too. He's still behind bars. He's due to get out in October '09.

Yeah? Still not enough, though.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Well, you don't see them doing much touring anymore, and they weren't invited to the benefit Twisted Sister is doing to help the victims of the fire.
    I wish I could make my letters big enough to show my true feelings of LOL.

cherryghost Guest
    Horrible story I remember thinking how awful that would be and what a huge death toll.

The families of those who died are the best judge's of justice in this case!

I was recently at a gig in an old Theatre, Metro Sydney, it was so claustrophobic and we could smell smoke! Pitch dark and wall to wall people! What hope do you really have if there is an accident!

Oddly these are now the days of plastic cups of beer and no smoking! I used to go to gigs where everyone smoked and exit signs didnt exist because there were no exits.

Still love a great smoke machine tho!

At the Wilco concert I went to the other night our handbags were searched for ........ wait for it........Water!!!
    Last edited by cherryghost; 03-21-2008 at 01:43 AM.

Snoopy Guest
    I live in RI and have been to the site where the Station House fire was..just awful the devastation..and yeah around here there is a very strong opinion about this man and the owners of the club.. (The Derderians sp?) people weren't that happy about this guy being released.

http://www.projo.com/extra/2003/stationfire/

They have a section that updates the night of the fire and the aftermath, including a huge in depth story from survivors.

It is CHILLING.
    Last edited by Miho; 07-16-2008 at 12:51 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

I saw a video somewhere that showed the people jammed like cordwood in the front door - body on top of body - and they were still alive, yelling like hell, trapped and presumably burning from the feet out. Horrific shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    www.projo.com

They have a section that updates the night of the fire and the aftermath, including a huge in depth story from survivors.

It is CHILLING.
    Where is it? All it's showing is the home page?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    I saw a video somewhere that showed the people jammed like cordwood in the front door - body on top of body - and they were still alive, yelling like hell, trapped and presumably burning from the feet out. Horrific shit.
    I just watched it.. this story haunts me and never goes away. I can't get over seeing all these people having a good time knowing that a few minutes later most of them would be dead.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Such a horrible way to die, too

Such a horrible way to die, too
    Listening to Great White? I agree.

In an ironic twist, two years before the fire Jeff Dederian did a news report on the fire dangers of mattresses containing polyurethane foam.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,79974,00.html

Twobeatlesleft Guest
    As a fellow metalhead and lover of 80s hair bands, I feel horrible about what happened in RI. And I know hindsight is 20/20. But it seems to me a lot of those people (who eventually died I assume) just stood around and watched the fire.

If you watched the LiveLeak video, the cameraman had the sense to leave as soon as the flames began spreading. He got out quickly with no delay. He seemed to be the only one acting with a sense of urgency. Everyone else just stood around like a statue. Did the victims not want to leave a full beer behind? Did they not want to lose their spot near the stage?

I would've been out of that building in a heartbeat, I can tell you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Twobeatlesleft View Post
    As a fellow metalhead and lover of 80s hair bands, I feel horrible about what happened in RI. And I know hindsight is 20/20. But it seems to me a lot of those people (who eventually died I assume) just stood around and watched the fire.

If you watched the LiveLeak video, the cameraman had the sense to leave as soon as the flames began spreading. He got out quickly with no delay. He seemed to be the only one acting with a sense of urgency. Everyone else just stood around like a statue. Did the victims not want to leave a full beer behind? Did they not want to lose their spot near the stage?

I would've been out of that building in a heartbeat, I can tell you that.
    I've run this situation over in my head a thousand times. I would love to say I would have gotten out, but I don't know. Lots of people thought it was part of the show or that the management would put it out. They claim that the time frame of those who lived and died was 30 seconds from the start of the fire. 30 seconds to process "Woah the stage is on fire" to being out the door. Time 30 seconds.. it is almost no time at all. The whole place was in flames within 7 minutes. That is mind boggling to me. People who walked out the door turned around to see it blocked behind them. People holding on to others hands got out while their friends didn't. That is how fast it happened.

I get very nervous now. I go to a lot of small clubs to see shows. Whenever I go in now I check out every single possible way out including behind the bar. I also tend to stand as far away from the main doors as possible because when panic sets in people run on instinct, which is often leave the door you came in through.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Amazingly, Bichele was released this past spring.................time served.

Seagorath Guest
    Some of the amateur footage floating around is DISTURBING...I can't watch those people trapped in that doorway anymore...too horrific...

Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    Some of the amateur footage floating around is DISTURBING...I can't watch those people trapped in that doorway anymore...too horrific...
    That has too be way worse than seeing people killed instantaneously. To see their expressions of horror and desperation ...their emotions makes them so much more than just an animated corpse which most of us are used to seeing in the videos posted here. I've seen brief news footage, like of the nightclub fire in Chicago a few years ago and that was enough for me. I dont think I could watch anyting like that either.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    Anyone else watch that video and think "Drop the camera, dumbass, and help those people!!"

RoRo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool Moon View Post
    Anyone else watch that video and think "Drop the camera, dumbass, and help those people!!"
    ain't that the truth!!!
    I can not watch video of people dying!! I don't mind dead bodies but to see the pain and horror while it is happening I can live without

Apparently the owners have now reached a settlment with victims and families. Yesterday, the band Great White also reached a settlement. This just came out this aft:

Nightclub-Fire
    INDEX:Celebrity, Entertainment, International, Justice
    Rhode Island nightclub owners reach settlement in 2003 fire that killed 100

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The owners of a nightclub where a 2003 fire killed 100 people have reached an $813,000 settlement with survivors and relatives of those killed.
    The settlement offer from Jeffrey and Michael Derderian will be covered by their insurance policy since the brothers had earlier received bankruptcy protection that shielded them from lawsuits over the fire.
    The agreement was disclosed in court papers Wednesday.
    It comes a day after victims' lawyers reached a separate, $1-million settlement with members of Great White, the 1980s rock band whose pyrotechnics triggered the Feb. 20, 2003, fire at The Station nightclub in West Warwick, R.I.
    More than $175 million has now been offered to the 300 people suing over the fire.
    The blaze began when the pyrotechnics ignited cheap packaging foam the Derderians had installed as soundproofing.
    (The Associated Press)
    13:40ET 03-09-08

What I want to know is how are a bunch of washed up rock musicians going to come up with a million bucks?

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Daniel Biechele. Here is Biechele's booking picture:

Scary...this dude almost looks like my brother! And my brother's name is also Daniel...yikes!

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    he is cleaned up nicely in that picture.........

majcm Guest
    i saw some men jumping back up the the people jammed in the front exit, but didn't really see anyone trying to PHYSICALLY pull people out. WHY NOT! If I could've gotten up there, even with my pathetic musculature, I know adreneline would have helped me pull some people at least off the top of the pile to try & help! Anybody hear if anyone did that?

Nelliebean Guest
    Some of the people who escaped walked away from those trapped in the doorway.

You can see somebody getting into their car within screaming range of the victims.

Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by majcm View Post
    i saw some men jumping back up the the people jammed in the front exit, but didn't really see anyone trying to PHYSICALLY pull people out. WHY NOT! If I could've gotten up there, even with my pathetic musculature, I know adreneline would have helped me pull some people at least off the top of the pile to try & help! Anybody hear if anyone did that?
    Do you really know how you would've reacted placed in those peoples situation. It's easy to say what you would've done without experiencing the actual situation. They just showed some video tonight of how fast that fire spread then cut real quick to a scene of people hanging out of a doorway horizontally with their waists at the 6 foot level screaming bloody murder. Would you really have had the state of mind after getting out by the skin of whatever scraped out of that doorway to stop, turn around and try to help. I honestly couldnt say I would've. Wouldn't it have been a futile effort regardless? How easy is it to pull someone out of a frantic sardine packed pile of people being burned alive?
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Were those people jammed in the doorway killed? Or did they eventually get pulled out (injured but alive)?

Nelliebean Guest
    At least those on the bottom would have suffocated before the flames reached them.

Pity those on top.

Were those people jammed in the doorway killed? Or did they eventually get pulled out (injured but alive)?

Most of the fatalities were the people in the doorway they found close to 40 in that door and hallway. A few people who were at the bottom of the pile managed to survive, but with horrible injuries. It was the bodies on top of them that kept them from burning . But most were burned to death in the doorway. They didn't die from the smoke like many inside the bar did.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]