Thread: Troy Kell - Gladiator Days

dirk diggler Guest

Troy Kell - Gladiator Days

I saw this Documentary"Gladiator Days" a few months back about this story below just wondering if anybody has heard if Troy Kell has been executed to date he wanted to die by firing squad so the legal obstacles have kept him alive for a few years now..

Troy Kell is an inmate on death row from Nevada who, on July 6, 1994 killed a black inmate, Lonnie Blackmon, at the Utah Corrections Department's Gunnison facility.
    Kell was originally imprisoned for the murder of 21-year old James Cotton Kelly (a Canadian caucasian involved in the Las Vegas sex industry). In 1986, Kell then, 18, and two accomplices lured Kelly to the Las Vegas desert and shot him to death for sexually harassing/abusing an underage teenage friend. Once in prison, Kell became a white supremacist leader. Prior to the attack on Blackmon, Kell had been involved in race-related altercations with several black inmates, including Blackmon. The murder was captured on the prison security closed-circuit TV camera in which Blackmon is stabbed over 70 times. A HBO Documentary titled "Gladiator Days: Anatomy of a Prison Murder" was made in 2002 of the Troy Kell/Lonnie Blackmon case/murder and is still available for purchase as of 2007. The movie shows footage of the actual murder from the prison security camera.
    Kell was put on death row for his crime.
    Last edited by dirk diggler; 12-02-2007 at 03:57 AM.

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    I am surprised that someone has not killed him in prison. He must be in solitary confinement or something...

donetodeath Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Radiohead View Post
    I am surprised that someone has not killed him in prison. He must be in solitary confinement or something...
    I saw this movie a few years ago.He is a pretty big guy,and i do believe he has been in solitary since the killing as he is reguarded as a dangerous prisoner.

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Radiohead View Post
    That's what I was thinking.

attackatdawn Guest
    [SIZE=2]Troy Michael Kell, an inmate at the Central Utah Correctional Facility in Gunnison, Utah, was charged with aggravated murder. Kell stabbed fellow inmate Lonnie Blackmon to death on July 6, 1994. Prior to the attack, Kell, a white supremacist, had been involved in race-related altercations with several African-American inmates, including Blackmon. On the day before the killing, Kell and two of his accomplices, Eric Daniels and Paul Payne, submitted medical request forms to visit the prison's medical facility. In addition, Daniels forged a medical request form in Blackmon's name so that Blackmon would be transported to the medical facility at the same time Kell and his accomplices were being transported. Moments before the attack occurred, Kell and Blackmon were moved from the upper tier of the building at the CUCF where they were housed to the lower tier where they awaited transfer to the prison's medical facility. Both Kell and Blackmon were placed in double locked handcuffs fastened to a belt around the waist. Their feet were not placed in shackles so that they could safely descend the stairs from the top tier of the cell block. By this time, Daniels had also been moved to the lower tier to go to the medical facility. Payne's request to go to the medical facility had been denied because he was in punitive isolation on the top tier of the cell block. Nevertheless, at his insistence, Payne was permitted to shower on the lower tier of the cell block rather than in the showers located on the second tier of the cell block, where his cell was located. While descending to the lower tier, Kell removed his handcuffs with a partial handcuff key that had been altered with a homemade handle made from melted plastic utensils. Kell also produced a shank. Blackmon was standing with his back to Kell talking to other inmates, when Kell began to stab him repeatedly in the neck, eyes, face, back and chest. Kell was free to use his unrestrained hands and arms during the attack, but Blackmon could only kick at his attackers to defend himself because he was still in handcuffs that were attached to his waist. Blackmon's efforts were futile in any event because Payne choked and punched him and Daniels held onto his legs during the attack. For over two and a half minutes, Kell slashed Blackmon with his shank, inflicting sixty-seven stab wounds, only two of which were described by the forensic examiner as being capable of inflicting death in the short term. Despite Blackmon's pleas to stop, Kell continued the assault and, in fact, after walking away, returned twice to inflict more wounds, until Blackmon lay motionless on the floor of the cell block. Blackmon bled to death and Kell was charged with aggravated murder. State v. Daniels, 2002 UT 2. Following two pretrial hearings, the trial court determined to hold Kell's trial in a regular courtroom located inside the CUCF. This decision was based on security risks, including Kell's criminal background, prison disciplinary record, and overall prison history. In addition, several logistical problems regarding security existed in trying Kell in either of the two courtrooms available outside the prison. Because most of the numerous witnesses in the case were either prison guards or high security inmates, the security risks and costs associated with transporting all of them to a courtroom located outside of the county would have been extremely high; thus, the trial court decided to hold the trial in the courtroom located within the confines of the prison. At trial, Kell testified that he killed Blackmon because Blackmon had overtly threatened him. According to Kell, Blackmon wanted to make an example of him to the other inmates to demonstrate Blackmon's power in the prison. Kell stated he believed Blackmon was making a threat when he overheard Blackmon say to another inmate on the day of the killing, "Yeah man . . . it's on. You know it," even though Blackmon made no threatening gestures toward Kell. Kell claimed that due to conditions in the prison and circumstances surrounding Blackmon's threats, he was suffering from "extreme emotional disturbance" at the time of the homicide. One eyewitness testified, however, that during the attack Kell's demeanor was "very business like, as cold as cold gets. It was like he was doing a job." [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Kell was captured on the prison security camera in the act of the murder. Kell was already serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole for a murder in Nevada. UPDATE: Kell reinstated his appeals and the execution was stayed.[/SIZE]

donetodeath Guest
    troy and lonnie had crossing of word's beacause lonnie was heard commenting and making snide comment's about white women,troy understandably stood up and a fight ensued.In the end it was either kill or be killed,it was going to end up either troy dead or lonnie.Troy got in first.

stacebabe Guest

I saw this a while ago on HBO

And ok, he deserves to be on death row, but the girl? Sandy? Come on, in this day and age, no 15 year old would still be in prison for "putting someone up" to killing someone, and nobody said that she DID put him up to it - Kell admits she just wanted him to beat him up.

Quote Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
    I saw this Documentary"Gladiator Days" a few months back about this story below just wondering if anybody has heard if Troy Kell has been executed to date he wanted to die by firing squad so the legal obstacles have kept him alive for a few years now..

Troy Kell is an inmate on death row from Nevada who, on July 6, 1994 killed a black inmate, Lonnie Blackmon, at the Utah Corrections Department's Gunnison facility.
    Kell was originally imprisoned for the murder of 21-year old James Cotton Kelly (a Canadian caucasian involved in the Las Vegas sex industry). In 1986, Kell then, 18, and two accomplices lured Kelly to the Las Vegas desert and shot him to death for sexually harassing/abusing an underage teenage friend. Once in prison, Kell became a white supremacist leader. Prior to the attack on Blackmon, Kell had been involved in race-related altercations with several black inmates, including Blackmon. The murder was captured on the prison security closed-circuit TV camera in which Blackmon is stabbed over 70 times. A HBO Documentary titled "Gladiator Days: Anatomy of a Prison Murder" was made in 2002 of the Troy Kell/Lonnie Blackmon case/murder and is still available for purchase as of 2007. The movie shows footage of the actual murder from the prison security camera.

donetodeath Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    And ok, he deserves to be on death row, but the girl? Sandy? Come on, in this day and age, no 15 year old would still be in prison for "putting someone up" to killing someone, and nobody said that she DID put him up to it - Kell admits she just wanted him to beat him up.
    I agree,i does seem a tad extreme!I think that the jury believed that had she not asked him to do anything,none of it would have happened.Apparently the three of them where offered plea bargain's in return for a guilty plea,they all knocked it back and the case went to trial.Troy and sandy ended up with nearly double the time behind bar's.

RigorMortis Guest
    Sandy was actually paroled sometime last year. I just watched this again on MSNBC today. It was edited greatly from the HBO airing of course. She spent 21 years in prison.

Kell is a very charismatic man. Good looking. I would have been beguiled by him in my teenage years. I mean afterall it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. I was a partier big time in my teenage years and I ran with a rather violent crowd.

I look at him and I see the pathology behind his eyes though. He's a stone cold killer who, given the chance would love to bathe in someone's blood again.

Sodapop Guest
    I saw that on MSNB, too. Good show.
    That Eric Daniels was especially disturbing during the riot footage.

Lisamarie Guest
    Boy he keeps stabbing and stabbing !! Its looked soo painful...that girl was evil..I must say.

shoganc Guest
    I just watched it last night. The thing that bothers me is how it took guards over 5 minutes to get there. That seems like a long time to me. Lonnie's brother Larry broke my heart.

Maruz83 Guest
    Isn't this on like every 2 days on MSNBC ? I saw it and gessss he stabbed him like a million times !

stacebabe Guest
    I just found out that Sandy Shaw was finally paroled. Way too late, in my opinion. There is no way she should've spent all those years behind bars. In today's day and age, she'd have been out in 2 years tops. If that, especially if you consider what she had been through long before the "Show and Tell" murder.

Interview with Sandy Shaw post-parole:

http://feministinvegas.wordpress.com...las-interview/

Quote Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post