Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (Series and Books)

Game of Thrones (Series and Books)

I did a search for this my own self and I have to say, I am so disappointed in you guys for not having a thread for this. It is an epic series both on television and in print. It is not Tolkien, which is why I like it, you need a flow chart to keep the subplots and familial lines straight, and Jason Momoa is in season 1 and never wears a shirt. What's not to love? Plus Sean Bean and Peter Dinklage are both fine actors, there is lots of bloody violence, and boobs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=522l0YE9hRQ

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sean-bean.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	42252Click image for larger version. 

Name:	game-of-thrones-images-9.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	42253Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jason-momoa_khal-drogo.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	42254
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Town Without Pity Guest
    I love this show! I was hooked from the first episode. Great story.

Subject_B Guest
    My husband's been trying to get me to read the books for years, but I'm not much of a reader. When I do sit down to read, I tend to pick up one of my Neil Gaiman books or start reading Glen Cook's Black Company books over again.

I do enjoy the show, even though we've only seen the first season. We just can't justify premium channels for the 2 shows we actually watch, so we'll be waiting for the BluRay.

carrieanne Guest
    My husband caught the first episode while we were away last year, (hotel with HBO) and then subscribed to HBO when we got home because he had to watch it. After the first season, he went and got all the books and read them all. I said, well, you don't have to watch anymore because you know everything that's going to happen! Apparently that doesn't matter because he is glued to every episode lol...

I have yet to see any of season 2, but I'm still working on the first book. I hate Twilight and don't care for Harry Potter or whatever so I can geek out about this, LOL.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

I recently started watching, from the beginning. I started watching for Sean Bean, and now I love Peter Dinklage so much! Tyrion, Ned, Jon and Arya are my favorite characters. I'm on my own watching it, just as I was with Oz - - too violent for my husband.

doyleloyal Guest
    i really like the show, I'm in the middle of the first book..i don't wanna know what's gonna happen plus i'm sure alot of it is going to be different from book to show. my only complaint is i wish they had more daenerys segemnts, that girl gets forgotten quite a bit! her and tyrion are my favorites and...i gotta say..i freakin love joffery. he's such a little shit!!

stacebabe Guest
    They have too many storylines this season to cram into just 10 episodes, it needs 5 more at least. None of the storylines feel developed this season, they feel started. And tonight is the finale.

doyleloyal Guest
    that is true, the storylines don't flow as well as they do in the books which is a shame..great finale, loved the whole snow zombie scene

Easter Egg: Dubyas head on a stick:
    http://www.blameitonthevoices.com/20...-george-w.html
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

My whole family loves these books. If you haven't read them, the "Dunk and Egg Tales" are amazing. They are short stories set about 100 years before ASOIAF, but they feature the same families. Dunk is my favorite character in all of Westeros.

Each tale is in a different short story collection. It took me a month to gather all three of them, but they are going to be published in one volume later this year. You can also find the full text online. Try towerofthehand.com

I'm reading book 5 (Dance with Dragons) now, although I have to occasionally take a fluff break and read something mindless and/or happy. I blazed through the first four books, but man, the death and destruction is relentless! I'm so resigned that no one is going to be left to cheer for in the end (book 7, from what I understand). Brilliant books, though.

The show is great! Beautiful cast (both genders) although I'd vote for more male nudity to balance out the females. Oona Chaplin has one of the most perfect arses I've ever seen; why couldn't we have seen Richard Madden's? Not fair! Given the constraints of t.v. (time, budget and effort to not perpetually confuse the audience with too much info/too many characters) I think they've done an admirable job getting the basic idea of the stories across. I suspect they will continue to deviate from the books in the future, which will get the purists at places like Westeros go berserk with hatred. If anybody wants to check past deviations between popular books and their t.v. adaptations, see Dexter and True Blood. I've read all the books to date for both series. Dexter stays pretty close in tone, but there are characters that were killed off in the books that are still alive on the series, and the reverse is true. True Blood stayed pretty close to the book for the first season, then veered off so wildly in Season 2 that it's in a completely different universe now. Nevertheless, I continue to read and watch in enjoyment. I just have to stay unattached to the show outcomes to stay happy.

The final scene in Thrones finale was AWESOME! Sam is a favorite of mine- poor Sam! I hope he gets his moment to shine in the upcoming confrontation as he does in the book!

tjh960 Guest
    Season 3 is here...Has anyone watched the first episode...

Katrinawitch Guest
    My daughter and I have the same taste in things, so when she told me a month ago that I needed to marathon the first 2 seasons of GoT, in order to catch up before this weekend's S3 premiere, I jumped right on it. I caught up just in time to watch the premiere on Sunday. What a show!

Okay, my favorites... Jon Snow (the actor that plays him is just so gorgeous). I can't wait to see what happens now that he's with Ygritte and the Wildlings. I also love Tyrion Lannister... witty, snarky, ambitious, but not cruel. Peter Dinklage totally rocks this character. I love to listen to him spar with his sister Cersei. I also love his sword-for-hire Bronn. Those two are like a comedy duo.

I love Arya Stark. She's totally resourceful and badass. I can't wait to see what happens to her and her two companions, now that they were able to escape Harenhaal. I'm betting Hot Pie is the first to go, and soon.

I love Daenerys, but her storyline has been kind of boring since her husband died. All she's been doing is wandering around, and then looking for her dragons. Hopefully now that she's found them, and a ship, her story will start moving.

I love to hate the character of Cersai, and the whole incestuous thing with her brother Jaime is creepy. But after having met her father Tywin, I can see where she comes from.

I can't stand Joffrey, and hope he dies a long, slow, painful, torturous death. He's such a whining, cruel coward. What a combination of personality traits.

I watch Spartacus, True Blood, and American Horror Story, so the violence, gore, and nudity don't bother me. Okay, the nudity never bothers me, truthfully!

tjh960 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Katrinawitch View Post
    My daughter and I have the same taste in things, so when she told me a month ago that I needed to marathon the first 2 seasons of GoT, in order to catch up before this weekend's S3 premiere, I jumped right on it. I caught up just in time to watch the premiere on Sunday. What a show!

Okay, my favorites... Jon Snow (the actor that plays him is just so gorgeous). I can't wait to see what happens now that he's with Ygritte and the Wildlings. I also love Tyrion Lannister... witty, snarky, ambitious, but not cruel. Peter Dinklage totally rocks this character. I love to listen to him spar with his sister Cersei. I also love his sword-for-hire Bronn. Those two are like a comedy duo.

I love Arya Stark. She's totally resourceful and badass. I can't wait to see what happens to her and her two companions, now that they were able to escape Harenhaal. I'm betting Hot Pie is the first to go, and soon.

I love Daenerys, but her storyline has been kind of boring since her husband died. All she's been doing is wandering around, and then looking for her dragons. Hopefully now that she's found them, and a ship, her story will start moving.

I love to hate the character of Cersai, and the whole incestuous thing with her brother Jaime is creepy. But after having met her father Tywin, I can see where she comes from.

I can't stand Joffrey, and hope he dies a long, slow, painful, torturous death. He's such a whining, cruel coward. What a combination of personality traits.

I watch Spartacus, True Blood, and American Horror Story, so the violence, gore, and nudity don't bother me. Okay, the nudity never bothers me, truthfully!
    I couldn't put it better myself Katrinawitch..I've got a feeling at least one of the Lanisters will be dead by seasons end,like you I hope it's Joffery as well..and I can't wait to see what happens when Daenerys starts her invasion.
    I still think Jon Snow will eventually become leader of the Blackwatch..it's just a gut feeling I have. And hopefully things will get better for the Starks...the past 2 seasons hasn't been kind to them to say the least.

I'm still holding out hope for some equal opportunity male nudity. Let's have some naked men, please! Well, besides Hodor. It's cable, they can get away with it. Naked Robb or naked Jon, please.

Katrinawitch Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by amaranthaseven View Post
    I'm still holding out hope for some equal opportunity male nudity. Let's have some naked men, please! Well, besides Hodor. It's cable, they can get away with it. Naked Robb or naked Jon, please.
    Well, I did see some preview snippets of Jon Snow in a 'hot tub' with Ygritte, so we can hold out hope!

SPOILERS: No reaction to the big ending on episode 9? I'm surprised. That's primo Death Hag stuff right there. I had read the books and was more or less prepared, but it still shocked me. As soon as the musicians started playing "The Rains of Castamere", my husband and I turned to each other and said: "Shit, here we go!" Boy, did it. I thought perhaps they'd spare Robb's wife, so that was especially shocking!

Anyone else super-excited to see Season 4? I thought episode 1 was pretty solid. A lot of book purists were griping about some of the casting around the various sites. I thought Oberyn Martell aka the Red Viper was brilliantly cast- and super-sexy as well! He's one of my favorites, and I always love how unashamed and unapologetic he and the other Dornishmen are about their culture! Those prim King's Landing people don't know what to do with him! Arya got to show what a complete badass-in-training she is, too!

KarmaKat Guest
    Good episode. Had some great moments.
    I also liked the casting of Pedro Pascal as Oberyn Martell. He brings something wonderful to the screen and
    cant wait to see more of him in the coming episodes.

I watched the first 3 seasons, but I'm not getting HBO until True Blood starts up again- then I can cram all of the Game of Thrones episodes into one big marathon. I'm a little forgetful of the character names- but the first time Tywin Lannister came on the screen, I started laughing. The only other thing I've seen him in his The Golden Child with Eddie Murphy, so I keep thinking of him as Brother Noomsie in Eddie's voice. Doesn't help with the seriousness of the role much.

I have to admit that I love Joffrey. Of course he's horrible, I always like those characters- just like Nellie was my favorite on Little House. I also like Arya and the Hound, and Brann too, and Brienne(?). I hope they don't die.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

I just watched the last episode of the current series and you just know it will turn out to be a mistake that she has chained up those dragons !!

You know what has made the show more interesting is learning the history of the characters and why they tick, this also includes facts about geography as well as The Throne. Did you know the Iron Throne is bankrupt with the Iron Bank and whomever becomes king must inherit the debt and if they dont pay or make arrangements to pay the Iron Bank can step in and finance your replacement and have you tossed out like garbage.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    Heh I'd like to see some bankers try to remove the King. It'd be funny if it was Dany. I wonder how the bankers would negotiate with her dragons. I do have a theory about the bankers that would make them really bad ass. Might be a spoiler for those that haven't read the books. Do not read further if you want to avoid spoilers. For the book readers: I think maybe the bankers and Arya's storyline may connect. Those that know what Arya is becoming.... remember the men in the basement she never sees? Perhaps they are the bankers and Arya is becoming one of their assassins. Remember her test? She had to kill that guy? He was a merchant. Someone that would owe the bank.

Biter Guest
    Love, love, love this show. How sad is it that I have the hots for Roose Bolton? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Biter View Post
    Love, love, love this show. How sad is it that I have the hots for Roose Bolton? LOL!
    That's not so bad. It would be a lot worse if you had the hots for Walder Frey

Biter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    That's not so bad. It would be a lot worse if you had the hots for Walder Frey
    EXCELLENT POINT! Walder Frey would be the last one on the list. I'd rather die like his wife at the Red Wedding. LOL!

ozzysmom Guest
    Over the last 3 weekends I binge watched Game of Thrones from Season 1, Episode 1 to the current finale. Holy crap! What a fantastic show!

Nobody is safe. noooooobody! I cried when Ned's head got lopped off. I danced like a schoolgirl when that creepy, little icky King Joffrey died! When The Mountain chopped his horses head off, I nearly crapped my pants!

The only thing that sucks is that for the last 3 weekends I've been completely engrossed in it. Now I have to wait for the new season to start with everyone else. lol. G.O.T. WITHDRAWAL is a real bitch! lol

Yeah. The GOT withdrawals is what caused me to read the books.

30. 11-02-2014, 05:17 PM

ozzysmom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Roll on season 5. I love this series. Peter Dinklage is my favourite. I love the mix of fantasy, nudity and everything else. Anybody else eagerly awaiting the next season?

I CANNOT wait!!!! I've heard that it is supposed to be back around April. That seems sooooo far away

I'm awaiting the next season eagerly but not nearly as much as I'm awaiting the next book!!! It's been years!!

This Sunday!!! This Sunday!!!

While I look forward to watching it, we won't be seeing Brand at all until next season.

I was looking forward to seeing him become Brynden River's protege and the most successful Stark.

I'm surprised there isn't more chatter about this. I also read that the show is going to kill off people not dead in the books. I'm betting at least one this season. They mention it now to soften the blow maybe? If it's Arya or Tyrion I'm throwing things.

I'm surprised there isn't more chatter about this. I also read that the show is going to kill off people not dead in the books. I'm betting at least one this season. They mention it now to soften the blow maybe? If it's Arya or Tyrion I'm throwing things.

I assure it won't be Arya or Tyrion.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    I assure it won't be Arya or Tyrion.
    I dunno. If they wanted to go for gasps, and they do love going for gasps, killing either of those 2 would be the biggest splash to the GOT universe.

I dunno. If they wanted to go for gasps, and they do love going for gasps, killing either of those 2 would be the biggest splash to the GOT universe.
    They would be killing off the show.

Might as well throw Daenerys in the death list too.

Yeah. Killing her off would be huge too. Actually as far as the story goes it would be bigger to kill her off, but people like Tyrion and Arya more. Robb Stark with wolf head will be a factor later. I'm calling it now. We have not seen the last of Robb. Hasn't even happened in the books yet.

I've actually heard a theory that some of the Gods will be taking human avatars eventually and it will be the Lord of Fire Vs the Lord of Ice.

Hmm... Not a bad theory. I think if that happens it will obviously be Daenerys as the Fire Lord and Jon Snow as the Ice Lord. I just wonder how Bran fits in with that, because I think he'll end up being the main character by the end.

I dunno if I already said this upstream but I also think that Arya's outfit, the guys in the basement she never sees, are the Bank Of Bravos. I think that's the name? It's been awhile. I mean everyone is scared of the Bank. Even Tywin. They always get their money or.... They have to have enforcers that "collect". I'm thinking Arya is basically an assassin for the Bank. The most skilled assassins in history. What ya think?

Wow. Right out of the gate with the whole killing off characters still alive in the books.

Hmm... Not a bad theory. I think if that happens it will obviously be Daenerys as the Fire Lord and Jon Snow as the Ice Lord. I just wonder how Bran fits in with that, because I think he'll end up being the main character by the end.

I dunno if I already said this upstream but I also think that Arya's outfit, the guys in the basement she never sees, are the Bank Of Bravos. I think that's the name? It's been awhile. I mean everyone is scared of the Bank. Even Tywin. They always get their money or.... They have to have enforcers that "collect". I'm thinking Arya is basically an assassin for the Bank. The most skilled assassins in history. What ya think?
    I know she get's some really awesome training in Bravos

Wow. Right out of the gate with the whole killing off characters still alive in the books.
    The thing is Snow did the right thing, honorable death, didn't let Melisandre revel in it.

I've seen the first 3 episodes already. Its pretty good.

The first 3 episodes of the season that started last night? How'd you swing that?

Someone leaked their review screeners

I'm currently starting on episode 4.
    Last edited by TheDude; 04-13-2015 at 08:16 AM.

Ahh Think I'll just watch it when it airs. I like the build up.

Ahh Think I'll just watch it when it airs. I like the build up.
    Yeah that is probably the best I'll rewatch it since I have HBO.

Just got done watching episode 4 and I have to say this: Kit Harington has such a hard job.... a hard job indeed.
    Last edited by TheDude; 04-13-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Great episode last night. Other than Brienne. The actress playing her is so so bad. Plus I was severely pissed when the show had her beating The Hound. Fuck that. It looks like the show is already about to go ahead of the books. Gonna be an interesting season. You get the feeling Sansa is just kicking back, learning, and readying to kill Littlefinger when the timing is right? Right now she needs him for protection. I just have a scene in my mind where she kills him and as he's dying she says something like, "you taught me well".

Wow. They've gone completely off script. Baristan dead already... from a common alley fight? That just seems wrong in so many ways. It's amazing how far ahead the show is getting than the books in some storylines. It's kind of cool they are differing some from the books. Keeps the book readers like me in suspense too... No way Martin finishes the series before he dies. Kinda sucks.

Wow what an epic episode.

This is pretty much last nights episode

Yeah. I was gonna post on it but no one seems interested in the topic. Which is really really weird. But yeah. That was fucking excellent!! About to be a run on Valyrian steel. The whole Tyrion becoming an adviser to Dany happened pretty fast... like way too fast. It's almost like they want to hurry up and get the series over with. Officially past the books in at least 2 storylines... Tyrion and Sansa. I expect the season shocker to be a certain person thought long gone to make an appearance. Only 2 episodes left and they tend to do the shocker in the 2nd to last episode and leave the final episode to wrapping up and setting up cliffhangers.