Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 50 Shades of Grey

My husband read the first one out of curiosity about the whole hoopla (and my father-in-law had read it and liked it- weird), and told me not to bother. Based on his summary and our discussion of the book, I am more than a little put off by what sounds like a very irresponsible dom getting into a relationship with a very impressionable younger woman without spelling out the dom/sub relationship as you need to do. Yes, I get this is fiction, but I can see a bunch of naive women reading the book and then rushing out to find their very own Christian, thinking that's how it all works. The power balance has to be worked out or it's complete exploitation and a big mind-fuck for the unprepared. Sorry, my big pet peeve about trying to mainstream something and it getting lost in the translation. If you're reading it for escapism and get it isn't going to happen that way for real, then cool!

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by amaranthaseven View Post
    My husband read the first one out of curiosity about the whole hoopla (and my father-in-law had read it and liked it- weird), and told me not to bother. Based on his summary and our discussion of the book, I am more than a little put off by what sounds like a very irresponsible dom getting into a relationship with a very impressionable younger woman without spelling out the dom/sub relationship as you need to do. Yes, I get this is fiction, but I can see a bunch of naive women reading the book and then rushing out to find their very own Christian, thinking that's how it all works. The power balance has to be worked out or it's complete exploitation and a big mind-fuck for the unprepared. Sorry, my big pet peeve about trying to mainstream something and it getting lost in the translation. If you're reading it for escapism and get it isn't going to happen that way for real, then cool!
    There are some dangerous and irresponsible subjects running around out there who think they are doms.

pixiepereira Guest
    I purchased the book last April and I *just* finished it. Yeah, took me forever. Normally, when I'm real into a book, I will finish it in a real big hurry. I didn't know anything about the author being into Twilight, but now I get it. I kept getting the feeling of this being a lot "Twilight-y"...

The book was OK. Not my cup of tea. I won't be buying book 2 or 3. If you haven't read it yet, don't waste your time/money.

RebelRocker Guest
    i know ill have the unpopular opinion but i liked the books. i knew what i was getting into when i picked them up. i know that the bdsm community isnt like it is potrayed in the books. it doesnt work that way. i would hope that people are not that stupid to believe that is how it goes. there were parts in the books that i didnt care for.

Late fees could be the least of your worries next time you borrow a book from the local library.

A Belgian professor borrowed the most popular books from a library in Antwerp and tested them for bacteria, microbes and other substances.

He discovered traces of cocaine across all of most borrowed books, with the copy of erotic novel Fifty Shades of Grey even testing positive for the herpes virus.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...S-COCAINE.html
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

Barf.. I've often thought about the germs in library books.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Guess this means I need to start sniffing books at the Library and pray I don't get a cold sore.

PurrPurr Guest
    There are probably cooties at the library hand sanitizer wouldn't kill.

Quote Originally Posted by SheeBee View Post
    I read them. It was a fun read. It is not well written and the erotica is not that great. But who cares? Sometimes you just need to read stupid and enjoy it.
    I agree, it was a fun read.