Birthplace: Omaha, NE
    Died: 13-Sep-2001
    Location of death: Santa Monica, CA
    Cause of death: Heart Failure

Race or Ethnicity: White
    Sexual orientation: Straight
    Nationality: United States
    Executive summary: A Summer Place
    Husband: John Swope (Life photographer, m. 1943, d. 1979, one son, one daughter)
    Son: Mark Swope
    Daughter: Topo Swope (b. 1948)

Hollywood Walk of Fame 6933 Hollywood Blvd.

FILMOGRAPHY AS ACTOR
    Caroline? (29-Apr-1990)
    Little Women (2-Oct-1978)
    Rich Man, Poor Man (1-Feb-1976)
    Jonathan Livingston Seagull (23-Oct-1973) [VOICE]
    Flight of the Doves (2-Apr-1971)
    The Greatest Story Ever Told (15-Feb-1965)
    Summer Magic (7-Jul-1963)
    Susan Slade (8-Nov-1961)
    Swiss Family Robinson (10-Dec-1960)
    The Dark at the Top of the Stairs (22-Sep-1960)
    A Summer Place (22-Oct-1959)
    This Earth is Mine (26-Jun-1959)
    Old Yeller (25-Dec-1957)
    Friendly Persuasion (25-Nov-1956)
    Trial (7-Oct-1955)
    Three Coins in the Fountain (20-May-1954)
    Mister 880 (29-Sep-1950)
    Gentleman's Agreement (11-Nov-1947)
    Till the End of Time (23-Jul-1946)
    The Spiral Staircase (6-Feb-1946)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (28-Feb-1945)
    The Enchanted Cottage (15-Feb-1945)
    Claudia (4-Nov-1943)

Kathyf Guest
    She was really involved with Capone. Many people said she was a middle man for money etc.

I just watched The Enchanted Cottage the other day. I love that movie. Also A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

Kathyf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsGaribaldi View Post
    I just watched The Enchanted Cottage the other day. I love that movie. Also A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.
    I love a Tree Growns In Brooklyn.

leeny994 Guest
    i love A tree grows in brooklyn
    she was amazing in it,and so beautiful... i had not heard the Capone stuff.. interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    She was really involved with Capone. Many people said she was a middle man for money etc.
    I gotta ask if you would flesh out that story a bit. Sounds interesting.
    She must have been very precocious.
    If she was born circa 1916 then when she was an adult he was already in prison for tax evasion, etc.

I'd also like some more input on this. Her husband was an independently wealthy man when they married - and to be honest, it just doesn't seem like her style. Then again, I can't imagine Katie Nolan or that lovely woman from "The Enchanted Cottage" being a bag man for the mob.

P~

Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post

Noelle Page Guest
    Capone?????

She was so, so lovely.....something very shimmery about her.

leeny994 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    yessss that is the perfect way to describe her... i love it

Capone?????

I think Kathyf was thinking of the wrong McGuire
    The McGuire Sisters were a singing trio in American popular music. They consisted of Christine McGuire, Dorothy McGuire, and Phyllis McGuire. Phyllis McGuire, had a relationship with mobster Sam Giancana.

Ding Ding Ding - give the stuffed animal to Seredipity! Kathy was in the right church - just the wrong pew

P~

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity09 View Post
    I think Kathyf was thinking of the wrong McGuire
    The McGuire Sisters were a singing trio in American popular music. They consisted of Christine McGuire, Dorothy McGuire, and Phyllis McGuire. Phyllis McGuire, had a relationship with mobster Sam Giancana.

Noelle Page Guest
    Topo Swope (the daughter)....interesting name. Very preppy.

I googled Topo, she is a talent agent:
    http://www.toposwopetalent.com/

How funny I should know the reason for her name

The actress Jean Howard became something of a camera buff after her career gently faded away. She had been married for about a dozen years to 1940s uber-agent Charlie Feldman, so they had a wide circle of friends.

Anyway, when Maguire & Swope were in Italy on their honeymoon (I think that's when it was), they borrowed Howard's Italian car - called a Topolino or something like that. They had fond memories of the car & the honeymoon, so they named their daughter Topo.

Howard's book is excellent - called "Jean Howard's Hollywood"

P~

Topo Swope (the daughter)....interesting name. Very preppy.

I googled Topo, she is a talent agent:
    http://www.toposwopetalent.com/

Noelle Page Guest
    Cool story, thanks.

Early example of weird celebrity baby names, I guess. But again, Dorothy was preppy enough (see "A Summer Place") to pull it off.

And thank GOD she had nothing to do with the mob! Lol

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Yeah, that mob connection just didn't "fit" with Dorothy McGuire LOL!! My favorites of hers:

"The Spiral Staircase" ('46)--I just watched this again, about a mute servant in a huge mansion terrorized by a psychotic killer who preys only on disabled young women. This is a masterpiece--and just as terrifying now as when I first saw it as a kid and hid under the blankets for the next 30 or 40 nights! The eyeball looking through the crack from the closet door STILL gives me nightmares!

"Old Yeller" ('57)--the ONE movie that can still make me cry like a baby. Another true classic.

Noelle Page Guest
    "A Summer Place" is in my top five all-time favorite movies. Soooooo romantic.....torrid.....campy......and that theme! I even made it my wedding song.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    "A Summer Place" is in my top five all-time favorite movies. Soooooo romantic.....torrid.....campy......and that theme! I even made it my wedding song.
    I have always avoided this movie due to Troy Donahue's presence, he always reminded me of a block of wood with a blonde wig, acting-wise.
    But I WILL take your recommendation and check it out, finally!

Noelle Page Guest
    Oh but his woodenness is perfect for the part. I wouldnt have him any other way. Ditto Sandra Dee.
    Besides, there are also wonderful performances by Richard Egan, Constance Ford, Arthur(?) Kennedy.....and some classic melodramatic lines, real howlers. Plus gorgeous scenery.

SilverAndCold Guest
    She always had this quiet elegance about herself, she was such a wonderful actress..A Summer Place is one of my favorite movies.

Hag1 Guest
    Did you know that this house, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1948, was featured in the film "A Summer Place". It is a private home, still standing, in Carmel. In the movie, it is the home that Troy and Sandra's parent characters move to after they got together. Frank Lloyd Wright is mentioned in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Hag1 View Post
    Did you know that this house, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1948, was featured in the film "A Summer Place". It is a private home, still standing, in Carmel. In the movie, it is the home that Troy and Sandra's parent characters move to after they got together. Frank Lloyd Wright is mentioned in the movie.
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 07-23-2009 at 01:16 AM.