Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dick Clark

Mulvaness Guest

Dick Clark

I know that it says TV producer but, he was more of an entertainer to me.. anyway..

I wasn't sure where to put this.. If in the wrong place please merge.
    http://www.tmz.com/2012/04/18/dick-c...-heart-attack/

Dick Clark
    -- famed TV producer, and "New Year's Rockin' Eve" host -- died from a massive heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

He was 82.
    Last edited by Mulvaness; 04-18-2012 at 12:41 PM. Reason: more info.

RIP Dick.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

MorbidChrissy Guest
    RIP Dick Clark. New Year's Eve won't be the same without you.

bonzosrightfoot Guest
    Well all the haters won't have to endure his unwillingness to step down from the New Year's Eve countdown anymore.

Just heard.. damn...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Dang - I thought he was older than 82 for some reason. He has had a rough last couple of years...

Wait --- this wasn't on the 2012 Mayan thingy was it????
    My Posse's On Broadway

Bayou Queen Guest
    What a legacy he leaves, I remember in the 50's, my sister and I would fight over the t.v., I wanted to watch The Mickey Mouse Club, and she wanted to watch American Bandstand. Glad they moved Mickey Mouse to another time. RIP old
    friend.

RIP Dick
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "I just know I'm not the greatest power on this earth. I didn't create myself, because I would have done a hell of a better job." -Layne Staley

orionova Guest
    I remember watching Bandstand in the 70s and 80s, before it ended. Rest well, Mr. Clark. You've earned it at your age and what you've been though in the last few years.

RIP Dick Clark
    [SIGPIC]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/Zoe_Zeppelin/Zepsig1.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Well crap! I wanted to post his death first! Good scoop Mulvaness.

MPetro108 Guest
    How very sad. An end of an Era. R.I.P

Elizabeth Guest
    Another of my childhood memories gone ......RIP Dick, New Years won't be the same.....

PS Seacrest, you are not even qualified to clean his tombstone......

aLiLdirt Guest
    RIP Mr Clark

Mulvaness Guest
    Amen, Elizabeth, Amen!!!!!!! ^^^

ChefCookChemist Guest
    Rest In Peace to the "Oldest Teenager" Dick Clark

DrDeath Guest
    Even I knew who he was. Bless him, he seemed very cool. 82 is a jolly good innings though. RIP Sir

Klopek Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzosrightfoot View Post
    Well all the haters won't have to endure his unwillingness to step down from the New Year's Eve countdown anymore.
    Who said he was stepping down? I wouldn't be surprized if they entombed him in Times Square so technically, he would always be there N.Y.E.

zenith Guest
    Man, I thought he would live forever! I watched him on ...Bandstand in the 70s and 80s myself. RIP Dick.

speedblurr Guest
    RIP to a true legend.

gas_chick Guest
    Another piece of my childhood gone. RIP Dick! I'm sure he will be hosting Bandstand in the great beyond!

I remember watching Bandstand every Saturday morning when I was a kid.

Remember when they used to pick a couple of dancers from the crowd and he'd ask them to rate a record, telling him why they did or didn't like it? One person started the whole "It's got a good beat and it's easy to dance to" thing. Then every person who ratef a record after that said that when they liked it. At first he laughed. Then in the weeks following he started rolling his eyes everytime somebody said it. Later he tells them before giving their answer when giving a record the thumbs up, "What did you like about it? And DON'T say it's got a good beat and is easy to dance to". Some did anyway. A few years later he'd be visibly pissed but trying to maintain his composure when somebody said it.

That progression used to crack me up when I was a kid. Whatchagonna do Dick Clark? They're kids, not music philosophers or composers.

I haven't thought of that in years.

Also used to watch some of the shows he produced in the 70's. He really had a lot of influence in TV and music over the years.

It was nice but a little jarring to see him on New Year's Rockin' Eve awhile back, shortly after his health had declined so rapidly. The man everyone joked about never aging appeared to have all those years catch up with him at once. Regardless of his appearance or the way his speech was effected by his illness, the world's oldest teenager was still in there and he made sure we all knew it.

Scatter Guest
    Awww.......RIP Mr Clark. They should cremate him, and put some of his and Guy Lombardo's ashes in the ball that drops in Times Square.

dick clark was close friends with ed mcmahon but johnny carson refused to put dick clark on the tonight show.
    dick clark guessed it had something to do with him dissing johnny's daytime show early in his career. johnny wasn't the kind of guy to forgive and forget.
    Delusion. Life's Best Coping Mechanism
    Check out Floyd's new Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYA5iAAJg8

lobosco107 Guest
    I never got his appeal. He was like the Ryan Seacrest of his day.

He made his first millions with the payola scandal of the 1950s. Here's a story about it:

http://greatentertainersarchives.blo...nd-payola.html

Scatter Guest
    Dick Clark was one of the few in entertainment who didn't NEED Johnny Carson's national forum. Which must have pissed Johnny off even more.

havoc Guest
    RIP Dick

Sad that he passed, but it was kind of expected. New Years won't be the same without him. RIP Dick.... and damn you guys are fast was just coming to make a thread about it.

TheMysterian Guest
    An American Legend for sure! R.I. P. Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Scatter View Post
    Dick Clark was one of the few in entertainment who didn't NEED Johnny Carson's national forum. Which must have pissed Johnny off even more.
    This seems most likely to me too. There were very few people who could wrangle with either of them and walk away unscathed.

Somewhere twixt San Antonio & Corpus Christi
    Dick Clark was a very astute businessman, he invested in record labels, record pressing plants, and music publishing companies. After (some sources say before) he testified before the Senate subcommittee during the payola scandal of the 1950s, he divested himself of these business interests at ABC's request. He did however, retain the rights to "American Bandstand" episodes which turned out to be a very wise decision as it gave him a huge library of vintage footage.
    Bob Horn was Bandstand's original host on WFIL in Philadelphia, Clark would occasionally fill in for him. When Horn was arrested for drunk driving in 1956, Clark took over hosting duties full time , ABC picked up the program the next year and the rest, as they say, is history.

"Wage$ of $pin" is a very interesting documentary on the Philadelphia music scene of the 50s including Clark and the payola scandal. John Jackson also wrote a book on Clark called "American Bandstand: Dick Clark and the Making of a Rock and Roll Empire".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

American Progress

SamiBamBam Guest
    I'm devastated. Another part of my childhood, dead. Although I have a feeling that he'll be rockin' it in the afterlife with all the rock stars that went before him.

Patience54 Guest
    RIP, Mr. Clark.

Pryncis Guest
    Now he's in heaven living among so many of the stars that went before him. That would be one episode of AB that would be neat to watch... RIP

havoc Guest
    Scott's already got an article up on him at FAD.

Damn he's good!

Elizabeth Guest
    http://youtu.be/UYsej0ykSXI

The theme from the days I watched Bandstand......enjoy!!!

Bidmor Guest
    "For now, Dick Clark, so long"

Wow, the end of my teenagerhood. R.I.P.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

Elizabeth Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by havoc View Post
    Scott's already got an article up on him at FAD.

Damn he's good!

Can't find it!!! Link please??

havoc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    http://www.findadeath.com/

http://www.findadeath.com/Deceased/c...dick_clark.htm

DonnaMc Guest
    He's been around my whole life. RIP Dick Clark.

endsleigh03 Guest
    RIP

(The music awards shows will be heavy on the tributes due to his influence and so will New Years Rockin' Eve, and thats fitting)

Quote Originally Posted by havoc View Post
    I see Buddy Rick, which was up yesterday, but no pick and announcement of Dick Clark coming home.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

radiojane Guest
    Well it's there now.

MysticCho Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth View Post
    another of my childhood memories gone ......rip dick, new years won't be the same.....

Ps seacrest, you are not even qualified to clean his tombstone......
    lol ikr
    rip mr clark you will be missed
    im so sad right now i grew up watching bandstand

Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    Well it's there now.
    Well, for some reason I had to reload the page. Sorry.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I am so upset by this. I was born on January 1st and Dick Clark's New Years Rockin' Eve was always a special part of my pre-birthday celebrations. New Year's Eve, and my birthday countdown, won't be the same now. Thank you, Dick, for all of the great years. I salute you, sir. Godspeed.
    I never wanted to see anybody die, but there are a few obituary notices I have read with pleasure. ~ Clarence Darrow

KallyKatt Guest
    RIP Mr. Clark. American Bandstand was watched every Saturday in my house in the 70's.

http://youtu.be/UYsej0ykSXI

The theme from the days I watched Bandstand......enjoy!!!
    Ahhhh, "Bandstand Boogie." Allow me to make this post all about ME. I had a very talented musician friend in HS. He arranged "Bandstand Boogie" in 3-part harmony (Andrews Sisters style). Two of my friends and I sang this in our talent show, and WON. One of my fondest memories.... RIP Dick Clark. The sweet memories you've left behind will remain in our hearts forever.