Thread: A.A.Milne - Author and Playwright

seamuskaxen Guest

A.A.Milne - Author and Playwright

He wasn´t a Hollywood person, but he did write Winnie-the-Pooh and Disney has made a lot of money thanks to him.
    I love Winnie-the-Pooh.
    Alan Alexander Milne died in 1956 of a Stroke.
    The "real" Christopher Robin died in 1996.

Kathyf Guest
    I loved Winnie the Pooh Eyore was my favorite.

eeyore's always been my favourite too

the only trivia l have:
    - Brian Jones bought Milne's house, and drowned in the pool in 1969
    - Pooh was originally a canadian bear, the mascot for some segment in the army. l'll do more research.

incidentally, this morning my daughter pointed at winnie and said "pooh" for the first time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elizabeth Guest

From Lizziepooh

I *LOVE* Winnie the Pooh and all his friends.....one of the best children's stories ever written IMHO.....and the Disney movies are wonderful also....

I am hoping someday to get a Piglet tattoo.....

Kathyf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    eeyore's always been my favourite too

the only trivia l have:
    - Brian Jones bought Milne's house, and drowned in the pool in 1969
    - Pooh was originally a canadian bear, the mascot for some segment in the army. l'll do more research.

incidentally, this morning my daughter pointed at winnie and said "pooh" for the first time.
    interesting i did not know that. How old is your daughter?

smellslikealmonds Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    I *LOVE* Winnie the Pooh and all his friends.....one of the best children's stories ever written IMHO.....and the Disney movies are wonderful also....

I am hoping someday to get a Piglet tattoo.....
    I have a Tigger tattoo

Kathyf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smellslikealmonds View Post
    I have a Tigger tattoo
    My Brother-in -law loves Tigger . He has a tattoo of him to.

seamuskaxen Guest
    I know a lot about Winnie-the-Pooh and A.A.Milne, it´s sort of my hobby. I have totally brainwashed my nephew into talking about Winnie-the-Pooh his only 2 and his just as obsessed as I am.

A. A. Milne
    AKA Alan Alexander Milne
    Born: 18-Jan-1882
    Birthplace: London, England
    Died: 31-Jan-1956
    Location of death: Hartfield, Sussex,England
    Cause of death: Stroke

Race or Ethnicity: White
    Sexual orientation: Straight
    Nationality: England
    Executive summary: Winnie the Pooh series
    Military service: British Army (Royal Warwickshire Regiment, WWI, 1915-19)
    Father: John Vine Milne (schoolmaster, Henley House)
    Mother: Sarah Maria Heginbotham
    Wife: Dorothy de Selincourt (m. 1913)
    Son: Christopher Robin Milne (b. 1920)

High School: Westminster School
    University: BA, Trinity College, Cambridge University (1903)

Punch Assistant Editor (1906-14)
    Garrick Club

Author of books:
    Lovers in London (1905, novel)
    The Red House Mystery (1922, novel)
    When We Were Very Young (1924, juvenile)
    Winnie-the-Pooh (1926, juvenile)
    The House at Pooh Corner (1927, juvenile)
    Now We Are Six (1928, juvenile)
    The Fourth Wall (1928, novel)
    Four Day's Wonder (1933, novel)
    It's Too Late Now (1938, memoir)
    The Norman Church (1948)

Wrote plays:
    Wurzel-Flummery (1917)
    Mr. Pim Passes By (1919)
    The Dover Road (1921)
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 01-07-2008 at 03:50 AM.

lass1 Guest
    A canadian lieutenant Harry Colebourne from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada bought a black bear from a hunter for 20 dollars while on route to England during WW1. He named the bear Winnipeg after his home town. The bear became the mascot of the 2nd Canadian Infantry Brigade and became known as Winnie. When the Brigade went to France Colebourne gave her to the London zoo where she became a huge attraction. Miline took his son to the zoo where he saw Winnie and named his teddy bear after her. When he wrote the stories he often named his characters after his son's toys. Colebourne visited Winnie whenever he was on leave and was going to take her home with him. He saw how loved she was and deceided not to. Kids would ride on her back and hand feed her. She lived for 20 years. Winnipeg Manitoba has a annual winnie the pooh day each summer.

Quote Originally Posted by lass1 View Post
    A canadian lieutenant Harry Colebourne from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada bought a black bear from a hunter for 20 dollars while on route to England during WW1. He named the bear Winnipeg after his home town. The bear became the mascot of the 2nd Canadian Infantry Brigade and became known as Winnie...
    thanks!! l forgot l meant to look that up

p.s. kathyf, she's 21 months.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ComputerGuy Guest
    We named our 4th son Christopher Robin after the Winnie-The-Pooh series

Danny62 Guest
    I noticed Disney is starting to computerize the new Winnie-the-pooh series they are filming!!

I am old fashioned I didnâ??t care for it!! My daughter seemed to love it though!!

Is nothing sacred anymore...computerizing the Pooh?

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I vote for Piglet. I love his weird little pink striped body suit-thing.

smooches27 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    I vote for Piglet. I love his weird little pink striped body suit-thing.
    I do love P-P-P-Piglet......but Eeyore is my fave....did you know the original Piglet had a green body suit? I'm a bit of a Pooh freak.....

I remember reading something about his son who inspired Christopher Robbin saying that it ruined he life

lulu Guest
    didn't the Milne family sue Disney not too long ago?

I remember last year that the voice of Tigger and Piglet died within like, 2 weeks of each other. I was sad.

MbalmR Guest
    I have a really old set of Winnie The Pooh books, all hardcover with jackets. They came in a box and include WTP, When We Were Very Young,The House at Pooh Corner and Now We Are Six. In the original "decorations" (they weren't called illustrations,) Winnie is naked. He's not wearing a sweater!!

TrueBlueAngel Guest
    I was in WDW, Florida, last year and overheard an American lady saying that all the characters were American and there were loads of Brits there at the parks and we had contributed nothing. Hello!! Where did Winnie the Pooh and friends come from?? Bless her, she was having none of it when I tried to tell her WTP was British

susalu Guest
    Love this poem!!

Now We are Six by AA Milne

When I was One,
    I had just begun.
    When I was Two,
    I was nearly new.
    When I was Three
    I was hardly me.
    When I was Four,
    I was not much more.
    When I was Five, I was just alive.
    But now I am Six, I'm as clever as clever,
    So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever.

Zombiegirl Guest
    My favorite is Tigger. We had a cat named Tigger when I was growing up. She was a pissy ol' cat, haha
    I would like to know more about Christopher Robin. Who was he, anybody?

TrueBlueAngel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post
    My favorite is Tigger. We had a cat named Tigger when I was growing up. She was a pissy ol' cat, haha
    I would like to know more about Christopher Robin. Who was he, anybody?
    This gives a reference as to who he was.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Robin_Milne

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
    We named our 4th son Christopher Robin after the Winnie-The-Pooh series

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....that is really, really very sweet.

(4 boys=wow!!!!!!)

Armcast Guest
    Tigger is my fave....my nephews love him too.

Elizabeth Guest

Question

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikealmonds View Post
    I have a Tigger tattoo
    Can you post a pic?? I would love to see it for ideas....

Elizabeth Guest

Not Gonna Ask

Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    My Brother-in -law loves Tigger . He has a tattoo of him to.
    "Um, brother-in-law, could I take a picture of your Tigger tat for some crazy lady on the findadeath forum???"

Nope, not gonna ask....

Elizabeth Guest

Piglet

Here are some pics of my favorite character, Piglet....
    Attached Images Attached Images    

djdeath-hag Guest
    Piglet, Tigger & Pooh are all awesome characters.....but my favorite is not among them, I'd gladly tell you all just who from the Hundred Acre Wood that might be, but.... It wouldn't matter anyway.

JdoubleL Guest
    I grew up on classic Pooh.

Now the "House at Pooh Corner" song is in my head.

<3

seamuskaxen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by baroque1 View Post
    I remember reading something about his son who inspired Christopher Robbin saying that it ruined he life
    Yes, he even wrote a biography about how cold and distant his father was, and his mother to. That his father was only using him. I don´t think that this is true, cause A.A.Milne was pretty famous before he wrote Winnie-the-Pooh. I know that Christopher did try to follow in his fathers footsteps, but that it didn´t go so well. maybe he was jealous?
    A.A.Milne sometimes regretted that he ever wrote the books, they overshadowed his other work, and Christopher didn´t talk to him. And Christopher was pretty upset that his mom sold the rights to Disney. By the time Christopher changed his mind and became at peace with the Winnie-the-Pooh thing, it was to late, his father had died, so they never got to make up.
    Christopher married a cousin on his mothers side, A.A.Milne didn´t like the idea, he was worried that it could be a problem if they had kids, Christopher has a daughter with cp. Christopher died of some disease that resembles ALS.

Elizabeth Guest

Answer

Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    Piglet, Tigger & Pooh are all awesome characters.....but my favorite is not among them, I'd gladly tell you all just who from the Hundred Acre Wood that might be, but.... It wouldn't matter anyway.
    Ah, djdeath-hag, I think I know.....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I know too!
    "Oh the sky is falling..."

Quote Originally Posted by smooches27 View Post
    I do love P-P-P-Piglet......but Eeyore is my fave....did you know the original Piglet had a green body suit? I'm a bit of a Pooh freak.....
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 07-23-2009 at 01:18 AM.

susalu Guest
    hmmm.... is your fave a pitiful soul? mine is little roo.... i also like the badger that whistles when he talks! Sus

Sad how the family died out--- I'm assuming CRM's daughter was in such a condition as to be completely unable to have a normal life, or maybe marriage & children were simply something that was unacceptable.
    Indeed, it's peculiar to consider how many families of accomplished people tend to fade away completely. Some examples:

Abraham Lincoln (only one of his 4 sons lived long enough to marry, and the line died out with the son's grandchildren; Abe's only sister died in childbirth with her first baby.)

Mark Twain (only one of his 3 daughters, the only one to survive him, married and produced one daughter who died a spinster at age 66)

Mary Godwin and Percy Bysshe Shelley (only one of their children, a son, lived to grow up and marry, and his wife had health problems that prevented their having offspring)

Martin Luther King Jr. (only one of his 4 children--- Martin III, has finally married, after having kept the relationship very private, and is finally soon to produce his parents' first, alas posthumous, grandchild. One theory I've heard was that Coretta did not approve of her children's choices in relationships.)

Robert & Elizabeth Barrett Browning (having married in middle age, they had one living son, Robert aka "Pennini", an artist who married, but did not have children; some have theorized he was actually gay. His mother and her Barrett siblings were notorious for having been discouraged from marriage and parenthood by their father. A recent book theorizes this may have been due to a mixed racial heritage, the father having come from Jamaica and his ancestors' history of liaisons with slaves. Only a couple of the many Barrett siblings, including Elizabeth, ever married and/or reproduced.)

That's a few I can think of off the top of my head.
    Last edited by Linnie; 02-08-2008 at 10:10 PM.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueAngel View Post
    This gives a reference as to who he was.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Robin_Milne
    Wow that is sad. His Dad loved him so much he wrote about him. But I guess maybe the bullies at school ruined it for him.. I wonder what hapeened between he and his mother? Also I find it weird that he married his first cousin but then George Bush Sr and his wife are cousins and the Roosevelts were cousins.

seamuskaxen Guest
    A.A.Milne last saw his mother on his fathers funeral. He also didn´t like the facts that she sold the rights of Winnie-the-Pooh to Disney.
    The reason he cut all contact with his parents wasn´t just Winnie-the-Pooh. His father didn´t approve of Christopher marrying his cousin. It said in one book I read that Alan was worried that they were going to have kids with disability's, but I doubt that it´s true. I´m going to go with the theory that Christopher's mother hated her brother and when you hate someone you don´t want to have that persons kid as your daughter-in-law. And Christopher's parents wanted him to marry a girl that he grew up with.

Linnie, what a great post! You are a font of strange and wonderful info!