Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dean Martin

Danny62 Guest

Dean Martin

I can't believe we have left Dino out this long. It was tragic how after his son died he pretty much gave up living.

I need to get some of "The Dean Martin Shows" on DVD.

Just seeing all the guest stars on the show....that now occupy this site is kind of cool!

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 01:50 AM.

His voice was one of a kind.I really like his covers of christmas songs.Let It Snow helps make my holidays.

Danny62, you beat me to it bro! I just posted about John Wayne and was going to get to Dino next. Dean was a great singer and had a smooth voice. I actually prefer him to Frank Sinatra. He was always the cool one of the rat pack. I loved him in Rio Bravo with John Wayne. Big time props to Dean Martin!

ComputerGuy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    I can't believe we have left Dino out this long. It was tragic how after his son died he pretty much gave up living.

I need to get some of "The Dean Martin Shows" on DVD.

Just seeing all the guest stars on the show....that now occupy this site is kind of cool!

The Chapel on March AFB has a memorial to Dean Paul Martin. I remember the plaque in the church when I attended the NCO Academy ther in 95. I believe he was a F-4 (Phantom) pilot who augered into a mountain.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffsboys4 View Post
    Danny62, you beat me to it bro! I just posted about John Wayne and was going to get to Dino next. Dean was a great singer and had a smooth voice. I actually prefer him to Frank Sinatra. He was always the cool one of the rat pack. I loved him in Rio Bravo with John Wayne. Big time props to Dean Martin!
    Yeah I am sitting here thinking us death hags forgot Dean...that ain't gonna happen!!!!

I listen to both and I prefer frank...except as a person then Dean outclassed Frank by a mile!!!

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
    The Chapel on March AFB has a memorial to Dean Paul Martin. I remember the plaque in the church when I attended the NCO Academy ther in 95. I believe he was a F-4 (Phantom) pilot who augered into a mountain.
    I often wonder what would have happened to Dean if His son didn't die!

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan33185 View Post
    Dino was awesome, I wish I could have been around when he was in his prime. Have you heard his daughter Deana sing? She's really talented as well.
    I didn't know he had a daughter? How old is she?

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Awww I love Dino best of the Rat Pack! So smooooth and sauve.

dr2red Guest
    She was born in 1948, he had seven natural children , one adopted.
    Last edited by dr2red; 10-10-2007 at 07:03 PM.

JeffD Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
    You are correct Sir(doing my best Ed McMahon voice). He would park his Porsche in the lot at March AFB like all the rest of the guys....lol.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dr2red View Post
    She was born in 1948, he had seven natural children , one adopted.
    Really 7 kids?? I had no Idea. I thought only Dean Jr.

Man I am getting rusty in my old age.

Are they all still alive other than Dean Jr.?

dr2red Guest
    Really 7 kids?? I had no Idea. I thought only Dean Jr.

Man I am getting rusty in my old age.

Are they all still alive other than Dean Jr.?
    From Wiki

First wife: Elizabeth (Betty) Anne McDonald
    • First child: Stephen (Craig) Martin, born June 29, 1942
    • Second child: Claudia (Dean) Martin, born March 16, 1944 - died 2001 (breast cancer)
    • Third child: Barbara (Gail) Martin, born April 11, 1945
    • Fourth child: Deana (Dina) Martin, born August 19, 1948
    Second wife: Jeanne Biegger
    • Fifth child: Dean Paul Martin(Jr.), born on November 17, 1951 - died March 21, 1987 (plane crash)
    • Sixth child: Ricci James Martin, born on September 20, 1953
    • Seventh child: Gina Caroline Martin, born on December 20, 1956
    Third wife: Catherine Mae Hawn
    • Eighth child: Sasha (adopted)

ComputerGuy Guest
    What did she do?

http://deanamartin.com/

Hopefully not a Lucy Arnaz Syndrome thingie!!
    Last edited by ComputerGuy; 10-10-2007 at 07:21 PM.

Darrianne Guest
    He was a cool and handsome man! Deana looks a lot like him, too, I think.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Can't you just imagine having martinis with Dean and you're on your fourth and about to pass out and he's just getting started? Atta boy, to quote Scott.

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 01:50 AM.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dr2red View Post
    From Wiki

First wife: Elizabeth (Betty) Anne McDonald
    • First child: Stephen (Craig) Martin, born June 29, 1942
    • Second child: Claudia (Dean) Martin, born March 16, 1944 - died 2001 (breast cancer)
    • Third child: Barbara (Gail) Martin, born April 11, 1945
    • Fourth child: Deana (Dina) Martin, born August 19, 1948
    Second wife: Jeanne Biegger
    • Fifth child: Dean Paul Martin(Jr.), born on November 17, 1951 - died March 21, 1987 (plane crash)
    • Sixth child: Ricci James Martin, born on September 20, 1953
    • Seventh child: Gina Caroline Martin, born on December 20, 1956
    Third wife: Catherine Mae Hawn
    • Eighth child: Sasha (adopted)
    So my question is why did Dean's Jr's death effect him so much? I know that sounds like a dumb question because it's his son...but what about the other kids?

You think he would have been taking care of himself for them and not just give up??

That is why I was shocked he had that many kids.

candleinthewind Guest
    Dina has said in interviews what a great father he was and that he was the only member of the Rat Pack who would stand up to Frank. They all campaigned hard for JFK but Sammy was not invited to the inauguration so Dean refused to go.

I used to watch his old variety show when I was little with my dad. He had these go go dancers called the Golddiggers and he would wear his tux. Cool!

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by candleinthewind View Post
    Dina has said in interviews what a great father he was and that he was the only member of the Rat Pack who would stand up to Frank. They all campaigned hard for JFK but Sammy was not invited to the inauguration so Dean refused to go.

I used to watch his old variety show when I was little with my dad. He had these go go dancers called the Golddiggers and he would wear his tux. Cool!
    I like Frank as a singer and all but he was a total Ass in real life! Dean and Sammy had class!!

A good read is the book Frank's valet wrote about him!

He had serious issues!

I loved dino... the man was pure class... He wasnt as bad a drinker as people thought he was...he use to pretent to be drunk so he wouldnt be bullied by frank to going out for the night.
    Loved let it snow = his version is my favourite christmas tune by far...
    When i went to see the ratpack show in london 2 years ago - was disappointed by the dino singer..not a patch on the original while frank & sammy was spot on!

I heard that as well. That the whole drunk on stage thing was a act. He deserves a oscar because on some of those celebrity roast he looks toasted.

knothere Guest
    I duno if he was drunk.. ask Frank lol
    I'd say he was. Dean bot Scott a beer n of course that'l hafta go into his museum.
    Not to get off topic but didn't Johnny Carson's son drive off a cliff by accident(punny).

sgp92361 Guest
    I have the Dean Martin show DVD's, they are absolutely amazing! The stars that were on that TV show was the who's who of Hollywood, it is a must have for any Dino fan!

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hrhdiesel View Post
    I loved dino... the man was pure class... He wasnt as bad a drinker as people thought he was...he use to pretent to be drunk so he wouldnt be bullied by frank to going out for the night.
    Loved let it snow = his version is my favourite christmas tune by far...
    When i went to see the ratpack show in london 2 years ago - was disappointed by the dino singer..not a patch on the original while frank & sammy was spot on!
    I was reading in Alice Cooper's new book "golf Monster" that Dean really wasn't drinking alcohol on stage??

I mean he drank obviously but like you said he needed a smoke screen because Frank was a big party monster.

Hell he would stay up all night until 7am...and the guests were not allowed to leave until he said the party was finished!!

This book is a must:

http://www.amazon.com/Sinatra-Intima...2103514&sr=1-1

A photographer from Life followed Frank in 1965 for his 50th birthday. Time did a story on it. Anyway he took hundreds of pictures and these are a bunch that never got published. If you are a Sinatra fan check it out.
    Last edited by Danny62; 10-11-2007 at 04:55 AM.

I need to get some of "The Dean Martin Shows" on DVD.Just seeing all the guest stars on the show....that now occupy this site is kind of cool!
    You can find those on Amazon - there's a bunch of them there!

candleinthewind Guest
    Supposedly Dean was drinking Martinelli's apple cider. His daughter said Frank always wanted to play one more round of cards, one more drink, one more broad, and would party all night and wanted everybody to party with him. When it got too late Dean would leave to be with his family and Frank didn't give him a hard time about it.

onehunglow Guest

You want it? You got it! Heresssssssss Johnny!

candleinthewind Guest
    I've always loved that clip! I think those guys got a little loose before the show. I'm positive Ed used to drink before the show because more than once he seemed ripped. You'd never see anything like this with Leno on board.

Danny62 Guest
    Dean wasn't a big drinker from what I've read though. At least not to the lever Frank and Sammy were.
    Yeah I heard Frank drank all the time!

With his drinking and smoking I am surprised he lived as long as he did!

I read Frank was really into prostitutes in the late 1960's!

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 01:49 AM.

"When a big pizza pie hits you right in the eye, it's a bastard" woh woh woh woh
    "when the hairs on your ass smell like smouldering grass, your on fire" woh woh woh woh

Ya gotta love the 'ol Dino.

not to speal ill of frankie,but did anyone see the special with frankie,dino,and Judy? dino and Judy ran off and hid from him.

has anyone seen the dean martin roast with truman capote?

Ruffian Guest
    I've GOT to get the Dean Martin TV show on DVD. Does anyone know where to get them all?

IMO, he far out-classes and out-sang Sinatra. His daughter Deana said that he was home for supper every night when the kids were little. I read that his ex-wife Jeannie was always the love of his life and was there for him in the last years of his life.

Danny62 Guest
    Yeah, people talk about how he used to hire multiple prostitutes of all colors (taboo back then), and have them do stuff with each other and with him, just crazy stuff like that.
    From Kitty Kellys book Frank liked to eat Breakfast off of the prostitutes stomach!!! LOL

b57hrle Guest
    So my question is why did Dean's Jr's death effect him so much? I know that sounds like a dumb question because it's his son...but what about the other kids?

You think he would have been taking care of himself for them and not just give up??

That is why I was shocked he had that many kids.
    I don't think it would have mattered which son was killed, he loved his children and I think he would have been affected like he was regardless of which it had been... Maybe the fact that this one was his "JR" is what pushed it. I have children and their father prefers one over the other in all ways... (yes hes an AZZ and yes we are divorced!) Maybe the fact that his children are how old and he knew they'd be ok in life gave him pause to just give up... who knows...

I liked the show where Ed McMahon was drunk and this was live too and
    Johnny was trying to talk to him and he was smarting off about Johnny
    taking so many vacations. You could tell Johnny was stunned. I wish I
    could remember where to find the clip.
    Last edited by Rebekah; 10-15-2007 at 10:09 AM.

RoRo Guest
    I loved Dean Martin...always thought he was so handsome and talented. I used to love when he would be on a roast and break up laughing at someone.
    We played a Dean Martin cd at a lady's funeral ( I took care of her) and people were singing along which was kinda cool and she would have loved it!

desert hag Guest
    Loved Dino...what a voice! Christmas as a child wasn't Christmas without Let it Snow. I also loved watching the Dean Martin Variety Show. It seems that I recall reading a book about the show that stated Dean hated rehearsing for the show and didn't usually show up until taping day.

SW4 Guest

Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts

Any yoofs out there had an opportunity to see there? Classic viewing..if you want to see "Cool Cat Vegas Style" with loads of legendary celebs -- see them if at all possible

Remember laughing my arse off with Mum - it was the one show we planned to watch together.

Noelle Page Guest
    Whatever happened to the young wife, Cathy Hawn?

RigorMortis Guest
    I listen to both and I prefer frank...except as a person then Dean outclassed Frank by a mile!!!

Aman brother! I was fishing around in this thread because I wanted to see if I needed to add Dino. I'm glad someone had the forethought to get him in here.

My friends call me nutzo because I'm a metalhead but will bust out the Dean Martin at anytime and sing word for word. I have a few of them hooked too but they said they'd have to kill me if word got out.

Stuebenville where Dean was born and raised till his escape is about 2 hours from me. They have the Dean Martin festival yearly.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RigorMortis View Post
    Aman brother! I was fishing around in this thread because I wanted to see if I needed to add Dino. I'm glad someone had the forethought to get him in here.

My friends call me nutzo because I'm a metalhead but will bust out the Dean Martin at anytime and sing word for word. I have a few of them hooked too but they said they'd have to kill me if word got out.

Stuebenville where Dean was born and raised till his escape is about 2 hours from me. They have the Dean Martin festival yearly.

Yep one minute I have Black Sabbath going, the next Dean Martin!!

My wife thinks I am an odd ball!

I got to visit Dean at Westwood in Sept. I didn't know his parents are bured also at Westwood!

Ever gone to a Dean Martin Festival?

RigorMortis Guest
    No, I haven't been damn it. I only found out about it this year and I was a couple of weeks late. My brother actually went to rehab and lived in s-ville for 2 years and he told me about it this year.....again, too late.

I will be there in 08 though. I'll post pics but it'll be awhile. A few months away yet.

Noelle Page Guest
    Please, someone.... I need to know....where's Cathy Hawn?

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    Please, someone.... I need to know....where's Cathy Hawn?

This is all I can find, doesn't say what happened to her or even if she is alive though. She was much younger than Dean and Dean divorced her convinced she was after his money!

Noelle Page Guest
    It was quite the scandal in the "movie magazines" back in the day

Danny62 Guest
    It was quite the scandal in the "movie magazines" back in the day
    Now you got me wondering what happened to her. LOL

I can't find shit about her anywere on the internet!!

Noelle Page Guest
    Yoo hoo, Cathy....come out, come out.....

Danny62 Guest
    Yoo hoo, Cathy....come out, come out.....
    Well sounds like she was a Money Hag, so maybe she is a Death hag. LOL