Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12341151 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 2594

Thread: Trayvon Martin

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Minnesooooota!
    Posts
    9,876
    ABC news has a timeline of events.

    The 16 year old girl who was on the phone with Martin as Zimmerman was following him said she told Trayvon to run, she then heard pushing and the phone line went dead.

    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ine-of-events/
    Winners are losers...who got up and gave it one more try ~ Dennis Deyoung

  2. #52
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Petaluma Ca
    Posts
    4,847
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Never mind the racism here for a minute.....

    Everybody keeps saying they haven't heard Zimmermans side of the story.....

    Zimmerman is hiding out. If he had any desire to tell his side of the story he could safely do that with just one reputable news service, but he isn't doing it.
    Thank you for stating the obvious. It needed to be stated.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Near the shores of Lake Huron, Michigan
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by purplerosse View Post
    hi everyone. This is my first post but ive been reading this forum for years. This story has really been bothering me and i wanted to just give my input on my feelings....Thank you for listening. Like i said this is my first post here and i hope i didnt offend anyone her, just giving my opinion.
    Good post, Purplerosse - you brought up some good points....I've wondered if Trayvon was scared about this older man following him. If Zimmerman touched/grabbed or even approached him after Trayvon said "why are you following me?" I would think Trayvon would/should fight back like hell. That's what I would want my 15 year old son to do.
    Archer Fact: You can’t tourniquet the taint. (Source: Ray Gillette)

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,102
    Thanks for the first reasonable discussion I've seen on this issue! Although I am black, and tend to believe that Zimmerman had some preconceived racial bias (don't we all?), I don't like the way the overall media discussion is going. When we interject race into everything and project racism on everyone that doesn't look like us, it's a race to the bottom. I've heard the racism and reverse racism claims from both sides. If we could only look at people as individuals and judge them based on the content of their character, half the battle would be won. I get it, stereotyping is easy and from an evolutionary perspective, it may protect us. But let's face it, we have highly evolved brains. We have the ability to counter our tendencies to look at life from a tribal, us vs. them, perspective.

    Yes, I too would like more information. From everything I've heard, the Florida police did a horrible job. Perhaps they are under pressure to defend their "Stand Down" law and they go lightly on people using that defense. Perhaps, there is a conspiracy against all people of color. Perhaps, their brains have been sucked dry by zombies. Hell, I don't know. What I do know is that skittles are no match for a hand gun.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,141
    JVM reporting Zimmerman has lawyered up.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,141
    No autopsy?


    You gotta be kidding.

    Correction: Some guy on JVM just said one would be required.

    Hope so.
    Last edited by endsleigh03; 03-23-2012 at 04:42 PM.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,464
    I think Zimmerman has no choice but to lawyer up. And as far as why he doesn't come forth to a media source, I just don't see why he should. Why on earth would he? These people aren't his jury, he owes them no explanations. And by doing that, he'd absolutely be putting himself and his family in clear danger. That was an angry crowd, hundreds of thousands strong, and if they could find him, I absolutely think there would be trouble.

    I hope his lawyer is thinking of his safety first and not just a media opportunity. This guy has a reason to be scared, in my opinion.

    Race case, not a race case -- that's the question I'm hearing everywhere. I think they've made it a race case, although I did think Zimmerman was something other than white, definitely thought hispanic. Al Sharpton and a million hoodie march? Oh yeah, it's a race thing now. If anyone thinks there would be a million hoodie march with Al Sharpton for a blonde, blue-eyed child, just... just no. I think they made it a race case when they decided that the bleeped-out word on the 911 tape was a racial slur. Unless the shooter had been black, this was going to be a "shot him for being black" thing. If Sharpton is now "speaking for the family" oh it's a race case now. That's just my opinion but I can't see it another way.

    I'm watching his parent's lawyer on TV right now. I don't know why they have one, really, but whatever. They have no reason to fear being on these talk shows, they have tremendous support. Zimmerman isn't hiding at all, he's doing all he can do; he'd be a fool to jump onto this circus.

    And now Jesse Jackson's thoughts on this coming on Dr. Drew... no way am I going to watch that rot. An innocent, unarmed child is shot, it's an interesting discussion and case for justice. The "that's not fair, it happened because he's black" is old and tired, not unlike Sharpton and Jackson. They will ignore every issue but that of color, and that isn't fair reporting at all, that is an agenda. Enough already.

    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    18,938
    TaupinJohn, you said everything that I wanted to say perfectly and saved me a lot of typing. It is horrible that this boy is dead and I feel sympathy for his parents, but I sure don't like the direction this is heading. I think Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are two of the most racist, shit-stirring media whores that have ever polluted this planet and when they show up to stick their noses into a case, I quickly lose interest and head right out the back door. They sure didn't care to show up when Channon Christian and Chris Newsom were brutally attacked and murdered, but they don't care when white people die. They both piss me off to no end.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    TaupinJohn, you said everything that I wanted to say perfectly and saved me a lot of typing. It is horrible that this boy is dead and I feel sympathy for his parents, but I sure don't like the direction this is heading. I think Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are two of the most racist, shit-stirring media whores that have ever polluted this planet and when they show up to stick their noses into a case, I quickly lose interest and head right out the back door. They sure didn't care to show up when Channon Christian and Chris Newsom were brutally attacked and murdered, but they don't care when white people die. They both piss me off to no end.
    They don't care when black people die either. They only care about themselves, their bank accounts and being "famous."

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,464
    Gah, Mammy, I can't believe I forgot to mention that they were ridiculous attention whores, and I meant to say exactly that! Ah well, between the two of us we got it said, I suppose.

    You know, one who didn't know better (like me) might think these people were trying to start a racial war... I mean every single incident is blown out further and further -- oh it's going to happen. Because like you said, they don't mourn the Channon Christians and Chris Newsoms; they don't even pretend to be fair or right. I think they just wanted a fight.

    Know who else wanted (ultimately) a war between the races?

    Saw Obama speak on this earlier... I just heard him say, "If I had a son he would look like Trevon" -- and I don't give a rat's ass if he's the president of the PTA or the most powerful country in the world, that was a stupid thing to say. It doesn't matter what he looked like, what the hell? Way to shine there, Bo... way to hold down the national cool until this thing is resolved. Way to fail.

    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    18,938
    It pissed me off when Obama made that remark. There are thousands of people murdered every day in this country and he hasn't tossed his two cents in on them. Could it possibly be because this case is getting a huge amount of attention? What happened to this boy is tragic, but no more tragic than the thousands of other murdered people.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    479
    A couple of comments if I man - I was following this and very concerned very pissed. Then, Al Sharpton hops on board and I know it is not about right and wrong, just race. If I were the parents of this young man, I would be totally pissed that this self-serving hypocrite is using my son for glory...I am sorry but that's the way I feel..I also believe that the media has kept this going from the very beginning..I have read on news sites that the picture they are using of Trayvon is 3 years old and he is now 6'1" tall and weighed 185 pounds..I don't get it that people are still referring to him as "that child"...Another thing,while I am at it...Obama was WRONG to even comment on this..I am old enough to remember the firestorm created by Nixon when he commented on the guilt/innocence of Charles Manson which was a God-send to his attorneys...

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Minnesooooota!
    Posts
    9,876
    I dont think it matters if Trayvon was 6'1" 185 lbs or TWICE that size. He is (or was) STILL a child.

    For Gods sake his size has nothing to do with what happend.

    And just for the record, the jolly green giant would be no match for a handgun if hes unarmed.
    Winners are losers...who got up and gave it one more try ~ Dennis Deyoung

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,141
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    I dont think it matters if Trayvon was 6'1" 185 lbs or TWICE that size. He is (or was) STILL a child.

    For Gods sake his size has nothing to do with what happend.

    And just for the record, the jolly green giant would be no match for a handgun if hes unarmed.
    + 1

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    30,694
    Obama shouldnt have addressed the issue. It was way out of line for him to do so but the fact is he did and he did so with loaded language that undermines a basic premise of the American legal system and imparts undue influence on the public perception of the case.
    My personal opinion from what I've read: Zimmerman is a nut that murdered a kid who was defending himself from an unreasonable attack.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    thatta way ---->
    Posts
    5,979
    If he was shot in the head, wouldn't the shooter have to be pretty close or a REALLY good shot... Doesn't sound like he was in too highly a panicked mental state to be able to calm down and shoot precisely.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by sablegsd View Post
    They don't care when black people die either. They only care about themselves, their bank accounts and being "famous."
    ^This is exactly right. I wish people would stop focusing on who is involved about speaking out about this and focus more on the actual situation. Anyone who is over the age of 4 should know by now that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton ain't about no one but themselves. That doesn't mean the situation itself is irrelevant or blown out of proportion because those two asshats are that the forefront running their mouths.

    I get that Martin's parents want attention on this but if (God forbid) anything like this happened to a family member of mine and Sharpton and Jackson came out to "help", I'd tell them thanks but no thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Obama shouldnt have addressed the issue. It was way out of line for him to do so but the fact is he did and he did so with loaded language that undermines a basic premise of the American legal system and imparts undue influence on the public perception of the case.
    My personal opinion from what I've read: Zimmerman is a nut that murdered a kid who was defending himself from an unreasonable attack.
    Then if Obama didn't address the issue, you'd have a whole lot of people bitching that he didn't. Can't win for losing really. I do agree with your personal opinion though. Zimmerman strikes me as someone who is not playing with a full deck. He should not have been on that neighborhood watch. They should have booted him as a kook after lame 911 #30.
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,125
    welll they need to make up their minds because first they thought he said Fkn N----.. Then they said he said fkn coon and then they said it was fkn punk and none of them sound alike at all.. SO they need to make up their minds and the FBI can take that tape and tell you exatly what he said. Either way this guy was gun happy.This kid lived in a gated community so it wasn't damn gang banger that he was dealing with and because he has a hoodie on Heraldo said he shared in the blame for his own death He needs to STFU .The feds are taking this over and I am sure this moron will be arrested and tried for murder 1. Getting a conviction is the thing they need to worry about. I feel so bad for the parents of this kid but if Jesse and Al dont stay out of it I can tell you the shooter will walk and all because people in Fl hate those 2 asshats and they do not want to lose the law the gives them right to protect themselves . If you notice the cops didnt arrest this guy because he claimed self defense. If they find a nail file on that kid and this guy says the kid was waving it at him. the guy will walk because in FL you have a right to shoot and kill in self defense..now we wait and see.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Appleton, WI
    Posts
    52
    I am glad the 911 dispatcher was sensitive to the Travons needs as well as he was Zimmermans. Saying "Okay are you following him Sir? Zimmerman-"Yes I am" 911-"Okay we Don't need you to do that". Such a true professional.
    We all have an Expiration Date.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    30,694
    Quote Originally Posted by MagneticElectric View Post
    ^This is exactly right. I wish people would stop focusing on who is involved about speaking out about this and focus more on the actual situation. Anyone who is over the age of 4 should know by now that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton ain't about no one but themselves. That doesn't mean the situation itself is irrelevant or blown out of proportion because those two asshats are that the forefront running their mouths.

    I get that Martin's parents want attention on this but if (God forbid) anything like this happened to a family member of mine and Sharpton and Jackson came out to "help", I'd tell them thanks but no thanks.



    Then if Obama didn't address the issue, you'd have a whole lot of people bitching that he didn't. Can't win for losing really. I do agree with your personal opinion though. Zimmerman strikes me as someone who is not playing with a full deck. He should not have been on that neighborhood watch. They should have booted him as a kook after lame 911 #30.
    Better to be bitched at by fools for acting properly than face criticism for actual impropriety.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Johnny Cashville
    Posts
    22,611
    Quote Originally Posted by TaupinJohn View Post

    Saw Obama speak on this earlier... I just heard him say, "If I had a son he would look like Trevon" -- and I don't give a rat's ass if he's the president of the PTA or the most powerful country in the world, that was a stupid thing to say. It doesn't matter what he looked like, what the hell? Way to shine there, Bo... way to hold down the national cool until this thing is resolved. Way to fail.
    I was so shocked he said that. So shocked.

    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    I dont think it matters if Trayvon was 6'1" 185 lbs or TWICE that size. He is (or was) STILL a child.

    For Gods sake his size has nothing to do with what happend.

    And just for the record, the jolly green giant would be no match for a handgun if hes unarmed.
    true but I think she meant why show a pic of him when he was 3 when he was clearly nearing adulthood?

    You don't mess with friggin Dave Coulier click here to mess

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    30,694
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    welll they need to make up their minds because first they thought he said Fkn N----.. Then they said he said fkn coon and then they said it was fkn punk and none of them sound alike at all.. SO they need to make up their minds and the FBI can take that tape and tell you exatly what he said. Either way this guy was gun happy.This kid lived in a gated community so it wasn't damn gang banger that he was dealing with and because he has a hoodie on Heraldo said he shared in the blame for his own death He needs to STFU .The feds are taking this over and I am sure this moron will be arrested and tried for murder 1. Getting a conviction is the thing they need to worry about. I feel so bad for the parents of this kid but if Jesse and Al dont stay out of it I can tell you the shooter will walk and all because people in Fl hate those 2 asshats and they do not want to lose the law the gives them right to protect themselves . If you notice the cops didnt arrest this guy because he claimed self defense. If they find a nail file on that kid and this guy says the kid was waving it at him. the guy will walk because in FL you have a right to shoot and kill in self defense..now we wait and see.
    It would be ridiculous for any lawyer to use the so-called "Stand Your Ground" law to defend Zimmermans actions as his actions show him to be an aggressor and not a victim. Martin fits the criteria of a person presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself much more so than Zimmerman.
    http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0776/Sections/0776.013.html

    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Minnesooooota!
    Posts
    9,876
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    I was so shocked he said that. So shocked.



    true but I think she meant why show a pic of him when he was 3 when he was clearly nearing adulthood?
    The only pics I have seen of him, he looks like an average teenager. I think she was saying that the pic was three years old. But I dont know if it was or wasnt. All I am saying is he was a child. I dont have a teenager, my child is much younger, but when she is a teen, I wouldnt want an adult with a gun following my teenager no matter his or her size.
    Winners are losers...who got up and gave it one more try ~ Dennis Deyoung

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    30,694
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    I was so shocked he said that. So shocked.



    true but I think she meant why show a pic of him when he was 3 when he was clearly nearing adulthood?
    Most likely their were few pics available of the kid and I would assume most of them were provided by the family with their expressed permission of use and not subject to copyright concerns. I would also assume that the grieving mother would be quite sentimental and proffer pictures that represented her "baby" as such to others. Of course a newspaper wouldnt turn down this opportunity to pull at heartstrings by choosing to print such a photo and create interest resulting in sales
    but that doesnt negate the possibility that limited graphic options were originally available.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Minnesooooota!
    Posts
    9,876
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Most likely their were few pics available of the kid and I would assume most of them were provided by the family with their expressed permission of use and not subject to copyright concerns. I would also assume that the grieving mother would be quite sentimental and proffer pictures that represented her "baby" as such to others. Of course a newspaper wouldnt turn down this opportunity to pull at heartstrings by choosing to print such a photo and create interest resulting in sales
    but that doesnt negate the possibility that limited graphic options were originally available.
    I am sure you are correct Ichy
    Winners are losers...who got up and gave it one more try ~ Dennis Deyoung

  26. #76
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Corralitos, Cal
    Posts
    6,996
    We need to stick Rivera, Sharpton and Jackson in a pod and blast it into orbit.

  27. #77
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,567
    Here's video of the 911 call with the curse word and the supposed racial slur. I don't know about you, but I can hear it.

    http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...-zimmerman.cnn

  28. #78
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,464
    I'm not a bit surprised at Geraldo making an ass of himself over this... he's like a dumbassery magnet. And Sharpton and Jackson, hell I'd be surprised if they hadn't.
    But the president (and in an election year)? Really? Like you, Ra, shocked the hell out of me.
    I don't want to hear these people screaming about how only white kids are reported on, etc. That is blatant hypocrisy considering what's going on here. Racism cannot be cured by more racism. Pisses me off.

    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)

  29. #79
    Trayvon Martin's Facebook page ----> http://www.facebook.com/people/Trayv...tin/1353307542 For those interested.

  30. #80
    Bottomline, zimmerman was in the wrong and murdered a young man in cold blood, and should be punished. There's NO excuse for it.

  31. #81
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    The only pics I have seen of him, he looks like an average teenager. I think she was saying that the pic was three years old. But I dont know if it was or wasnt. All I am saying is he was a child. I dont have a teenager, my child is much younger, but when she is a teen, I wouldnt want an adult with a gun following my teenager no matter his or her size.
    Neither would I...

  32. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    .

    He'd just been suspended from school. Why? What did he do?

    .


    By all accounts, he was suspended due to"tardiness" and not misbehavior. This was confirmed by his own teacher.

  33. #83
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,204
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidChrissy View Post
    Here's video of the 911 call with the curse word and the supposed racial slur. I don't know about you, but I can hear it.

    http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...-zimmerman.cnn
    I definitely heard it when I listened the first time without them pointing it out. Definitely says fucking coons. At first I gave him the benefit of the doubt that maybe he said "goons" but as they played just that part/word over and over it was clear as day to me it was coons. That guy says he wouldn't testify to it in court, but honestly, with what I hear, I would.
    Last edited by atomicbettie; 03-24-2012 at 03:25 PM.


  34. #84
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27
    Its expected for people to question if Zimmerman was completely wrong. But to be honest there is an overwhelming amount of evidence that proves that Zimmerman shot and killed and unarmed person(Trayvon). The outrage is coming from the fact that he still has NOT been arrested.

    If Trayvon had shot an unarmed person, Trayvon would be in jail awaiting a trial.

    If Trayvon had been a white boy in a hoodie, Zimmerman would be in jail awaiting trial.

    STOP using the fact that Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are involved as an excuse to doubt the seriousness of this case. Do your own research and don't listen to Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson.

  35. #85
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,584
    In Trayvon Martin shooting, background of George Zimmerman can confound, confuse

    http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...nfound/1221662

    “Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.”

    Winston CXhruchill

  36. #86
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    1,146
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMysterian View Post
    In Trayvon Martin shooting, background of George Zimmerman can confound, confuse

    http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...nfound/1221662
    Been following this, but haven't commented yet. So we learn from this article that Zimmerman wanted to be a cop. That explains a lot right there. He probably thought his neighborhood watch job was practice for the big leagues.

    What's frustrating to me, is this should never have become a racial case. Zimmerman should not be "on trial" here for being racist. People -- and the law -- need to get their focus back on the real issue here: why did a grown man kill an unarmed teenager who didn't seem to be doing anything wrong? Was it self-defense? How could it be when this kid weighed 100 pounds less and had no weapon? That's all that should matter here.

  37. #87
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,141
    Quote Originally Posted by racingfan View Post
    Been following this, but haven't commented yet. So we learn from this article that Zimmerman wanted to be a cop. That explains a lot right there. He probably thought his neighborhood watch job was practice for the big leagues.

    What's frustrating to me, is this should never have become a racial case. Zimmerman should not be "on trial" here for being racist. People -- and the law -- need to get their focus back on the real issue here: why did a grown man kill an unarmed teenager who didn't seem to be doing anything wrong? Was it self-defense? How could it be when this kid weighed 100 pounds less and had no weapon? That's all that should matter here.
    Yes, exactly. The focus is all wrong.

    And add to that that some of the very first questions were about the kid who was killed...as in why was he suspended from schol, blah blah blah...when really the first attention should have been to the fact that an adult male with a gun was pursuing a child that had nothing more than tea and candy and blew him away.
    Last edited by endsleigh03; 03-24-2012 at 05:54 PM.

  38. #88
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Olivenhain, California
    Posts
    3,462
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/20...ng_things.html

    On April 22, 2011, Zimmerman called to report a black male about “7-9” years old, four feet tall, with a “skinny build” and short black hair. There is no indication in the police report of the reason for Zimmerman’s suspicion of the boy.

    GZ has a sketchy employment history and problems with the police department.
    Last edited by Giada; 03-24-2012 at 06:00 PM.
    I think gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman ... Arnold Schwarzenegger

  39. #89
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Olivenhain, California
    Posts
    3,462
    Quote Originally Posted by racingfan View Post
    Been following this, but haven't commented yet. So we learn from this article that Zimmerman wanted to be a cop. That explains a lot right there. He probably thought his neighborhood watch job was practice for the big leagues.

    What's frustrating to me, is this should never have become a racial case. Zimmerman should not be "on trial" here for being racist. People -- and the law -- need to get their focus back on the real issue here: why did a grown man kill an unarmed teenager who didn't seem to be doing anything wrong? Was it self-defense? How could it be when this kid weighed 100 pounds less and had no weapon? That's all that should matter here.
    Bias and hate are being investigated by the Justice Department in this case, and it is very much an issue. The state of Florida is investigating the case itself, and may or may not charge CZ or leave it in the hands of the Grand Jury.
    I think gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman ... Arnold Schwarzenegger

  40. #90
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    1,146
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Yes, exactly. The focus is all wrong.

    And add to that that some of the very first questions were about the kid who was killed...as in why was he suspended from schol, blah blah blah...when really the first attention should have been to the fact that an adult male with a gun was pursuing a child that had nothing more than tea and candy and blew him away.
    Good point!

  41. #91
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Olivenhain, California
    Posts
    3,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Find A Death Fan View Post
    By all accounts, he was suspended due to"tardiness" and not misbehavior. This was confirmed by his own teacher.
    Trayvon's life is clean, no disruptive behavior within his school or his community. He was an A-B student, active in sports, and loved math.
    I think gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman ... Arnold Schwarzenegger

  42. #92
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    1,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    Bias and hate are being investigated by the Justice Department in this case, and it is very much an issue. The state of Florida is investigating the case itself, and may or may not charge CZ or leave it in the hands of the Grand Jury.
    I still don't think it should be the main issue here. You can't prove this guy is a racist. His family argues that he grew up in a multiracial environment. All the evidence in that aspect is circumstantial. My point is, bringing out the Al Sharptons and Jesse Jacksons is not helping the case.

  43. #93
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Olivenhain, California
    Posts
    3,462
    I would agree racing fan, not the main focus, but certainly one that is part of the investigation.

    As to proof, one of his calls, refers to, "blacks getting away with crimes in his neighborhood." On the link I posted, three of his 911 calls were to report blacks.

    GZ's family making supportive comments would be expected, yet GZ has a history of instability, and appears to be suffering from paranoia, as well as obsessive about a volunteer position for which he was not qualified.
    I think gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman ... Arnold Schwarzenegger

  44. #94
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Olivenhain, California
    Posts
    3,462
    http://inamerica.blogs.cnn.com/2012/...-self-defense/

    Trayvon Martin was a teenaged boy who was walking home from a convenience store. He was not engaged in an unlawful activity. He was in a place where he had a right to be – near the home of his father’s fiancée. George Zimmerman followed him, even after being told by the 911 dispatcher not to. Zimmerman left his vehicle holding a loaded gun and began pursuing Martin on foot. It is plausible to infer that Zimmerman, not Martin, initiated the attack. The tapes indicate that Zimmerman may have been the aggressor in initiating contact with Martin. Assuming the published reports are true, Martin, not Zimmerman, was exercising his lawful right to “stand his ground and meet force with force” by engaging in an altercation with Zimmerman.
    I think gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman ... Arnold Schwarzenegger

  45. #95
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Disgusting state of NJ
    Posts
    3,399
    Quote Originally Posted by KCBee View Post
    Thanks for the first reasonable discussion I've seen on this issue! Although I am black, and tend to believe that Zimmerman had some preconceived racial bias (don't we all?), I don't like the way the overall media discussion is going. When we interject race into everything and project racism on everyone that doesn't look like us, it's a race to the bottom. I've heard the racism and reverse racism claims from both sides. If we could only look at people as individuals and judge them based on the content of their character, half the battle would be won. I get it, stereotyping is easy and from an evolutionary perspective, it may protect us. But let's face it, we have highly evolved brains. We have the ability to counter our tendencies to look at life from a tribal, us vs. them, perspective.

    Yes, I too would like more information. From everything I've heard, the Florida police did a horrible job. Perhaps they are under pressure to defend their "Stand Down" law and they go lightly on people using that defense. Perhaps, there is a conspiracy against all people of color. Perhaps, their brains have been sucked dry by zombies. Hell, I don't know. What I do know is that skittles are no match for a hand gun.
    I think the media is interjecting race into this because it brings in ratings. Al Sharpton will go down there for attention for himself.
    I totally agree with you about Zimmerman having preconceived racial bias and this kid was shot because he was black and wearing a hoodie.
    I think the O.J trial with Johnny Cochran as the ringmaster reignited racial bias in this country.
    Cochran did say one thing that really pertains to this and many cases since then "If you can not trust the messenger you can not trust the message."
    I wouldn't trust any lying word that comes out of Zimmermans or Sharptons mouth.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

  46. #96
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,204
    Quote Originally Posted by racingfan View Post
    Been following this, but haven't commented yet. So we learn from this article that Zimmerman wanted to be a cop. That explains a lot right there. He probably thought his neighborhood watch job was practice for the big leagues.

    What's frustrating to me, is this should never have become a racial case. Zimmerman should not be "on trial" here for being racist. People -- and the law -- need to get their focus back on the real issue here: why did a grown man kill an unarmed teenager who didn't seem to be doing anything wrong? Was it self-defense? How could it be when this kid weighed 100 pounds less and had no weapon? That's all that should matter here.
    I think this does have a lot to do with race though. Would he have been following a white kid in exactly the same situation? Would he have shot him? Would he have said "fucking white people" or "fucking cracker" or whatever derogatory word there is for white people when calling 911? Honestly, after hearing that call where he definitely says "fucking coons" he definitely had issue with the kids race and the truth of the matter is that if he didn't have a problem with it we probably wouldn't be talking about this at all because it wouldn't have happened. Just my opinion though.


  47. #97
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    681
    I honestly can't see how this isn't about race given the background of Zimmerman's previous reports. Also, where has this notion come from that racism is only something whites have towards blacks.... There is most certainly strong racism towards blacks from hispanics (and vice versa) in certain communities... Native Americans and African Americans can have rocky relationships.. It doesn't matter. There are cultural differences (as well as similarities) that give rise to these issues. Racism is not a black and white issue, in any way, shape or form.

  48. #98
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    1,146
    I guess what I'm trying to say is, this shouldn't be a Sharptom/Jackson media opportunity.

  49. #99
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,204
    Yes, that I agree with. Those two are jackasses. And I think they end up having the opposite effect they want and people take things less seriously when they hear their names attached.


  50. #100
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    448
    I have been following this case all week. I signed the petition on Change.org and if there were a rally for Trayvon Martin near me I would attend it. In my mind, the explanation that Zimmerman gave the police does not pass the common sense test. It's suspicious to me that he did not back off when the 911 dispatcher suggested it to him. He made a remark to the dispatcher about "they" getting away with everything and on the phone recording I heard on YouTube (assuming it was untampered with and legit) he made a racial remark about "fucking coons". i am sorry but that sounds pretty racial to me. I think he pursued Trayvon and acted rashly due to some preconceptions he has about black people. The focus should not be on why Trayvon was out on the street but why Zimmerman chose to pursue him. The other thing that is appalling about this case is that the police did not choose to investigate this incident when it happened. Who knows what evidence was overlooked? Everytime I think we have made progress on the racial issue, there is always some guy like Zimmerman to muck it up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •