Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Judy Garland

ZoeAnne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    My favorite pic

What a beautiful picture of her!!!.....Meet Me in St. Louis was on the other morning.....what a voice!!

leevancleef Guest
    She was a hell of a beautiful lady at her prime.
    That pic is breathtaking.

Guest Guest
    I like Judy. Still love 'The wizard of Oz' best
    Wow, 40 years eh!

i remember the 30th anniversary of her death that cable tv overflowed with specials and airings of her performances. seems like nothing,now.
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

radiojane Guest
    I can't find an audio link to it anywhere, but I have a new respect for Judy Garland (and I loved her before), after hearing some of the crap she went through on the radio guest star circuit. She was no more than 15 and there were some downright salicious jokes made at her expense. (How some of them got past the censors, I'll never know).

There's an episode of Eddie Cantor's show where he's so busy making fun of her background (like he was the crown prince of England) that you can hear her voice break when she tries to parry back. And Bob Hope's sexual innuendos were ridiculous "Give me a drag on that before you pass it around". I mean please.

She wasn't the only one, but she lasted a lot longer. This is the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the crap she and her ilk went through in their careers. No wonder so many of them end up such tragic figures.

DJ's_Hub-Hag Guest
    I haven't been logged onto the forum for awhile so I missed the June 22nd anniversary of Judy Garland's death. Famous deaths are in the forefront of the news right now. I was thinking of Judy Garland on June 22nd. I definitely remember when I heard of her death 40 years ago when I was 10 years old. I remember saying to my mother: "Oh no...Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz can't be dead!" She was only 47 (3 years younger than Michael Jackson at death).

radiojane Guest
    The last days of judy garland is on right now.. I've never seen it... God, she's so damned beautiful...

Wasn't she? It's a shame what the standards of beauty are. Then and now. I thought she was stunning!
    Say, did you guys hear those taped phone calls from her "biggest fan", Wayne Martin? What a rotten thing to do! You can hear Lorna in the background protecting her "Mama".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

tg7 Guest
    i read two of her biographies and it broke my heart to read that they thought she was ugly! i watched the wizard of oz the other night and thought she was just beautiful.

VickiLester Guest
    The fact she's still talked about 40 years after her death says it all...

"Somewhere over the rainbow"

c l p Guest
    what a talent. i wonder if she had any honest true friends? did anyone try to save her? or really love her?

Happy Birthday, Judy. I am so honored to share your special day.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Tebssis Guest
    Happy Birthday, Judy. We still miss your beauty and your voice.

PurrPurr Guest
    Happy birthday, Judy.

I can't get over how much she looks like Liza in this pic.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    ...another hearty "Happy Birthday Judy!"

opheliahardin Guest
    (donning flame retardant suit)

I can't see what the big deal is -- yeah she had a nice voice, but such unbridled enfatuation? TCM is devoting a whole day to her. Blecccch. Waste of air time.

Happy Birthday, Judy. I still miss you...
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

candleinthewind Guest
    Isabel Keating did a good job portraying Judy Garland in The Boy From Oz on Broadway. She wasn't too campy.

I've never really understood the whole "Friends of Dorothy" gay obsession with Judy and the Wizard of Oz.

doyleloyal Guest
    happy bday judy! wish I could stay home and watch the tcm marathon of her.

I've taped TCM all day!! Happy birthday, jutes!

It's been 41 years and boy, we still miss you.

Somewhere over the Rainbow....
    Last edited by salvatore1989; 12-25-2010 at 07:35 PM.

Tebssis Guest
    ^^Great pic Salvatore!

radiojane Guest
    I'm about two chapters in to "Get Happy" by Gerald Clarke (Gee whiz it's nice to have time to read again!!!). Such a fascinating (and sad) story. When I was skimming it in the bookstore, I read a paragraph about how Minelli made her look beautiful in meet me in St. Louis. That really struck me, because it was the first Judy Garland movie I saw (even before Wizard of Oz), and I thought she was the most gorgeous creature in the world. I remember saying I wanted to look like Judy Garland, especially the way she looked in that sparkling shawl singing "have yourself a merry little Christmas". My mom looked at me like I had tits growing out of my ears when I said that.

I really did want to look like this though.

Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    I'm about two chapters in to "Get Happy" by Gerald Clarke (Gee whiz it's nice to have time to read again!!!). Such a fascinating (and sad) story. When I was skimming it in the bookstore, I read a paragraph about how Minelli made her look beautiful in meet me in St. Louis. That really struck me, because it was the first Judy Garland movie I saw (even before Wizard of Oz), and I thought she was the most gorgeous creature in the world. I remember saying I wanted to look like Judy Garland, especially the way she looked in that sparkling shawl singing "have yourself a merry little Christmas". My mom looked at me like I had tits growing out of my ears when I said that.

Ordered!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Rudy's Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post

Judy looked stunning in that movie. I remember reading that after they broke up, Tyrone Power saw this movie with a friend and remarked how beautiful she was.

lmphillips2000 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by EthelMertz View Post
    Judy looked stunning in that movie. I remember reading that after they broke up, Tyrone Power saw this movie with a friend and remarked how beautiful she was.
    I don't now HOW deeply embedded this thread is but when i saw "Me and my shadows", it was so profound for me.

Judy Davis and especially Tammy Blanchard as the young Judy Garland.

There were Emmy's for this wonderful piece of work.

It was the best movie about Judy's life I've ever seen.

They even recreated the same blouse Judy wore at Carnegie Hall for this.
    It's totally authentic in so many ways.

cto69 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lmphillips2000 View Post
    I don't now HOW deeply embedded this thread is but when i saw "Me and my shadows", it was so profound for me.

It really was an exceptionally made film.Lorna Lufts choice of Judy Davis was inspired and tammy blanchard, i never would have imagined that any one on earth could have made me believe i was watching the young Judy Garland but she did.
    I went to see Lorna Lufts show songs my mother taught me when she came to Australia, i believe she is still doing it now in NY? You must try and catch it!Although i wish Lorna had been a little more spontaneous.I had a broken leg and i wouldn`t have missed it for anything, i even got her to autograph her cd for me. i couldn`t believe i actually met Judy Garlands daughter, i consider that a monumental thrill. Only one degree of seperation!

lmphillips2000 Guest
    I'm sure you did.... how great. I hope people who are Judy Garland fans see this film. It's on DVD now. I was so impessed how the recreated the "Trolly Song" for it.
    If people are at ALL a Judy Garland fan they need to rent or buy "Me and my Shadows" and put it in their library.

Quote Originally Posted by lmphillips2000 View Post

No wonder they won Emmys, both women were brilliant! Someone in direction or production was a stickler to details and it payed off handsomely.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

radiojane Guest
    Now only about two chapters LEFT in the book... It's a fairly accurate (imho) portrait of her issues. Talks about her lying to her therapists, how her most successful moments were when she was being pampered and coddled.... It's so hard to reconcile that with the bombastic Judy from the films...

Absolute favorite part is the anecdote about Bogart lipping Sid Luft off at a Rat Pack party, telling him to quit sponging off of Judy's talent. Sid lost his temper and pinned Bogart to the wall. Bogie just laughed in his face, pissing him off more.

Have to ziplist me and my shadows. Sounds like a must see.

Tebssis Guest
    Boy, I would love to be have been a fly on THAT wall! Bogie didn't take any shit!

radiojane Guest
    Happy 89th Birthday Judy. I'm watching me and my shadows, didn't know it was her birthday until I saw the date on the screen.... great timing on my part!

Happy (belated) birthday, Baby!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

RitaHayworth0208 Guest
    I hated the way Hollywood treated her!

Miss Garland died 42 years ago today. She's such a legend. RIP.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	judy_garland_01.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	30861  
    [SIGPIC]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/Zoe_Zeppelin/Zepsig1.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Judy is still breaking records!

To date nobody's life has been more celebrated, scrutinized, compiled, documented or even held as a bench mark to others as was Judy Garland's. I have an entire bookshelf dedicated to books on Judy herself. That is 12 books alone and there are at least 6 to 8 more and more are still being written. Her work is also being remastered, reworked and reissued to a still ever expanding audience of new, young fans who, like most of us saw the Wizard of Oz or another one of her films and "got it". Frank Sinatra was right. He said something to the effect that "Most of us will be forgotten. Not Judy. She'll live forever."

Lisamarie Guest
    Bless her heart...

Tebssis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoe_Zeppelin View Post
    Miss Garland died 42 years ago today. She's such a legend. RIP.
    God, she is just stunning in this picture.

in London at the mo . Went to her last home in Chelsea. looks like it is still a dump now , surrounded by million pound flats. It made me feel quite sad. I was even tempted to shout at the people walking past , do you know who died here!!! Glad I went though , she really had amazing talent.
    What 3rd world country do you live in that doesn't allow 'the gays' to marry ?

I just read that Judy was only 4'11. Wow

Such a tiny body, but she had a voice that was larger than the world itself and supreme talent.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Murphee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by p00key View Post
    in London at the mo . Went to her last home in Chelsea. looks like it is still a dump now , surrounded by million pound flats. It made me feel quite sad. I was even tempted to shout at the people walking past , do you know who died here!!! Glad I went though , she really had amazing talent.
    I have a picture of it. Isn't it in Knightsbridge though? (close to Sloane St)

Quote Originally Posted by Murphee View Post
    I have a picture of it. Isn't it in Knightsbridge though? (close to Sloane St)
    Yes we got off at the Sloan Square station .
    What 3rd world country do you live in that doesn't allow 'the gays' to marry ?

Whitdal Guest
    I absolutely love her. She was truly a gifted performer. I love watching her movies as well. I usually havemy eyes glued to TCM when they play her marathons

Love ya Judy

Quote Originally Posted by towser View Post
    This is a fascinating document of Judy at her looniest:

http://www.counterpoint-music.com/specialties/judy.html
    "YOU SONS OF BITCHES"

I wish I could hear all those

Quote Originally Posted by Whitdal View Post
    I absolutely love her. She was truly a gifted performer. I love watching her movies as well. I usually havemy eyes glued to TCM when they play her marathons

Love ya Judy
    same. no matter, what if her movies are on, I'm there

Just watched, again...her movie "A Child is Waiting" and I always wondered she thought about doing that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by PiggyTx View Post
    Just watched, again...her movie "A Child is Waiting" and I always wondered she thought about doing that movie.

Have you read (as I have) that her son is mildly retarded and it is due to the drugs she took whilst pregnant with him?
    It would certainly make that a touch film to make.

I actually have an original lobby card from this film.