Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Judy Garland

Quote Originally Posted by shipmatekate View Post
    I am recording it all!
    I absolutely love "The Harvey Girls" !

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Black View Post
    Happy Birthday Judes! We miss you.
    No-one even comes close to you, Judy. You will never be replaced or forgotten. I just wish I could've been around to buy her a drink on her birthday, plus a bunch of yellow roses.

Yes, and tell her a good dirty joke. Apparently the more obscene, the better! Here's to you Judes! <raising Coke can>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Guest Guest
    In the good old summertime is my favorite Judy Garland movie, well I just love that movie she was so cute and Van Johnson was so hot and Buster Keaton was so cute too, love that movie!

Yes! And little Liza at the very end! God, she was a talented woman. I read some book a few years ago that talked about celebrities past lives and such. Apparently, in all of Judy's lives she's been an entertainer. Just some thing to think about. It makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Yes, and tell her a good dirty joke. Apparently the more obscene, the better! Here's to you Judes! <raising Coke can>
    I remember reading a biography about Judy where she was laughing at a joke about a woman with a cucumber stuck in her vagina.

I remember reading a biography about Judy where she was laughing at a joke about a woman with a cucumber stuck in her vagina, but they used the 'c' word instead.

lisalouver Guest
    Happy belated birthday Baby Gumm.

JestersKiss Guest

JestersKiss Guest

JestersKiss Guest

JestersKiss Guest

JestersKiss Guest

JestersKiss Guest

JestersKiss Guest

JestersKiss Guest

Chunga Guest
    June 10, 1922 â?? June 22, 1969

A moment of silence please for Judy Garland, who left us 39 years ago today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	honkong2.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	6081   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1954-2.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	192.9 KB 
ID:	6083   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	judywithlornaandjoey1964.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	221.9 KB 
ID:	6084  
    Last edited by joplinfrk; 06-22-2008 at 12:20 PM.

NOVSTORM Guest
    This was a young girl that Hollywood completely destroyed by uppers and downers.
    I don't think Judy ever did a rehab and tired to get off the merry go round that they put her on. She had such talent and a great heart and was taken advantage of by just about everyone of her husbands.
    I think her body finally gave out. You have to take or and more of a drug after you become used to it. The doses she took would be lethal us but worked for her. I read somehwere that she had been fighting with Dean, as usual, I guess he was tired of being her "caretaker" and I would think that being married to her would be like a full time caretaker between the drugs and the booze and suicides threats and the suicide attempts. Her life especially in her later years had to be a living nightmare.
    I think maybe he just left her in there and she died. Maybe he was tiired of it all . I don't know but many people thought he did just that. Waited until he was sure she was gone and then called for help. I know Liza has the same problems as her mother did. Makes me wonder if Judy did all her drugs and booze while she was pregnant with her. The other 2 seem to be alright in that area.
    I have always loved listening to her sing and I like her acting too. I was sorry when she died because we lost a great talent but I think she is now resting in peace and is happy something she never seemed to be while alive.

Judy did try "rehab" back in the 40's at a place called 'the Mennenger Clinic". However, it wasn't like The Betty Ford Clinic like we have now. You have to remember that it's only come to light in the years since her passing that drug addiction is a disease and unfortunately, ALL of her children have inherited it. Liza, Lorna, Joey..they've all had their struggles with various substances. In fact, Joey was recently arrested for buying coke from an undercover cop here in the city. It's sad really. And yes, she did smoke and drink when she was pregnant but no one "knew" it was bad back then. It was thought that the baby and mother were two seperate entities. At any rate, there will NEVER be another talent like Judy and I feel slighted that she died while I was in the construction stage (I was about a week old embryo when she passed). Maybe she will put on a show when I get to the other side!

SueWahoo Guest
    Back in college, a friend of mine was a HUGE Garland fan. I liked Judy okay but wasn't a fan. She tried, she had me listen to Garland at Carnegie Hall and I thought it was good but whatever. Several years later, I was channel surfing during a bout with insomnia and I settled on A Star Is Born. I was mildly entertained until Judy sang The Man That Got Away and it was STUNNING. I've been a huge fan ever since. When I listen to her at Carnegie Hall, I "get it" now. Awesome.

Judy did try "rehab" back in the 40's at a place called 'the Mennenger Clinic". However, it wasn't like The Betty Ford Clinic like we have now. You have to remember that it's only come to light in the years since her passing that drug addiction is a disease and unfortunately, ALL of her children have inherited it. Liza, Lorna, Joey..they've all had their struggles with various substances. In fact, Joey was recently arrested for buying coke from an undercover cop here in the city. It's sad really. And yes, she did smoke and drink when she was pregnant but no one "knew" it was bad back then. It was thought that the baby and mother were two seperate entities. At any rate, there will NEVER be another talent like Judy and I feel slighted that she died while I was in the construction stage (I was about a week old embryo when she passed). Maybe she will put on a show when I get to the other side!
    That's right. I think they put her in a sanitorium. NOT a place a person wants to be ever, but especially someone as sensitive, misunderstood, used, and addicted as Judy was. She'll forever be missed and forever be loved.

23. 06-22-2008, 02:13 PM

Helby Guest

Judy Garland Birthplace

I visited the Judy Garland Birthplace on my way through Grand Rapids MN the other day. Very cool little museum with lots of memorabilia. Some donated by Judys kids some donated by people like Bob Hope. They have the original carriage from Wizard of OZ that was towed by the horse of a different color. It was originally built for Abraham Lincoln when he was president..was acquired at some point by a prop master in LA and used in many different films.

They also have props from the movie..

Sorry the photos are so big.

It is well worth the trip. I have a few more photos here. Some photos of autographed stuff fromt he whole main cast of Oz. http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t...udy%20Garland/

They do have a festival every year that some of the Muchkins used to attend..dunno if they still do. And they at one time on loan had one of the pairs of Ruby Slippers. A collector lent them to the museum for a few months and then took them back. He then contacted them again and asked if they would like to put them on display again...they did...and in the middle of the night someone broke in and stole them...never to be seen again. Sad really to think they are hidden away in someones closet or something. Boo to them! But again its a neat place go check it out if you are in the area.

fab photos - thanks for sharing .

Judy Garland, what an incredible talent.. always to be remembered and never forgotten.. R.I.P. Dear Judy
    There's more to the truth than just the facts. ~Author Unknown

Layla331 Guest
    i am such a huge fan..i think i watch meet me in st louis once a week...her singing have yourself a merry little Christmas.....kills me every time ..sigh

**Jenna** Guest
    I watched Meet Me in St Louis tonight,i haven't watched that in a long time,pretty good movie,she looked so pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by LayneStaleyFan View Post
    I watched Meet Me in St Louis tonight,i haven't watched that in a long time,pretty good movie,she looked so pretty.
    I watched that over the summer was pretty good.

MorbidMolly Guest

RoRo Guest
    I am reading a book her daughter Lorna wrote called "Me and my Shadows"...lots of info on Judy ......it is worth a reads for any fan

Watch the movie that went along after it, Judy Davis was FABULOUS!

It's so refreshing to be able to ask this and not be thought of as a ghoul: does anyone know if there there are any death pics of Judy Garland? Or Janis Joplin? When Judy sang, God spoke...sigh.
    I couldn't agree more about having this forum to come and discuss death. We are lucky to have this forum. We are in great company. Ghoulishness has never been so enjoyable...and the things I have learned here so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Btvs2678 View Post
    To Sweetsumthin : Thanks for that link. Like all of you it is nice to come here and talk about this stuff and not be thought of as crazy or morbid. I have been fasinated with celebrity death since I was little. The three things that fasinated me the most was Marilyn Monroe ( of course), HArry Houdini and the Titanic. My mom would say "What 6 year old asks these kind of questions?"
    I think what started me on the road to becoming a death hag was hearing about Jayne Mansfield's death when I was a kid. I just did some quick arithmetic, I was twelve the year that she passed.

I remember being fascinated and horrified at the same time when I learned that poor Jayne had been decapitated.

Nicki Guest

Judy Garland

I did a search on threads for Judy but could not find one with just her name! I never had the pleasure of meeting Judy. Seen Liza throughout the years several times. She always has put on a great show. But I did meet her daughter Lorna at the Castro Theater in San Francisco about 10 years or so ago. They had "A Judy Garland Christmas" with Lorna doing a talk about what life was like with her mother, sister and brother. Also had a Judy Garland Female impersonator (it is the Castro) and then they played the movie "Meet me in St. Louis" . Actually it was a great evening...lots of fun.
    So here goes:

Her Biography at Imdb:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000023/bio

Somebodys Daughter, Somebodys Son is a great documentary. They also have one on Peter Sellers and his kids.

Lorna Luft & Judy Garland, Somebodys Daughter, Somebodys Son: Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZHWX...eature=related

Somebodys Daughter, Somebodys Son: Part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxIZ_...eature=related

Somebodys Daugher, Somebodys Son: Part 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfJ-iVO7ehg

Somebodys Daughter Somebodys Son: Part 4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm4CZO0BH9A

Somebodys Daughter Somebodys Son: Part 5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDjtoIPZEaA

Somebodys Daughter Somebodys Son: Part 6
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXUE52dFtic
    Last edited by Nicki; 03-07-2009 at 10:43 PM.

djdeath-hag Guest
    Thanks for the links, Nicki!

Nicki Guest
    Thanks for hooking me up to the original thread. I did a Search and NO Judy Garland thread came up??? Not sure why that happen. Honest....I always try to be a Good Hag and do my thread search.

Cadence71 Guest
    Don't feel bad...when I saw your post, I thought for SURE there was a JG thread...I searched also, and nothing came up for me either, although I thought I remembered reading the thread before! Weird.

More Cheese Please Guest
    Judy and Barbra- Hooray For Love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Euvz1s70iQ

This is from The Judy Garland Show

Layla331 Guest
    ive actually started threads and tried to search them using the EXACT words and it wont come up..i thought it was just me and my computer ( lack of) skills lol

simon69 Guest

Judy garland "get happy" (summer stock, 1950)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U-rB...next=1&index=1 Plus a cameo at the end with Marjorie Main aka Ma Kettle

I had to bump this because I'm listening to side two of Judy at Carnegie Hall. Sigh......

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Helby View Post
    I visited the Judy Garland Birthplace on my way through Grand Rapids MN the other day. Very cool little museum with lots of memorabilia. Some donated by Judys kids some donated by people like Bob Hope. They have the original carriage from Wizard of OZ that was towed by the horse of a different color. It was originally built for Abraham Lincoln when he was president..was acquired at some point by a prop master in LA and used in many different films.

They also have props from the movie..

Sorry the photos are so big.

It is well worth the trip. I have a few more photos here. Some photos of autographed stuff fromt he whole main cast of Oz. http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t...udy%20Garland/

They do have a festival every year that some of the Muchkins used to attend..dunno if they still do. And they at one time on loan had one of the pairs of Ruby Slippers. A collector lent them to the museum for a few months and then took them back. He then contacted them again and asked if they would like to put them on display again...they did...and in the middle of the night someone broke in and stole them...never to be seen again. Sad really to think they are hidden away in someones closet or something. Boo to them! But again its a neat place go check it out if you are in the area.

Those are too cool!!!!!!

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by More Cheese Please View Post
    Judy and Barbra- Hooray For Love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Euvz1s70iQ

This is from The Judy Garland Show

What a gorgeous picture!!!!

Sam Guest

"Jack"! "2000"!

Sam Guest
    As a Gay man and at the risk of having my membership card taken away, I just have to say I just don't "Get" Judy Garland.
    I'm 54 and I really don't know anyone of my generation, or younger who thinks she's "All That".
    Sure as a child I thought "The Wizard of OZ" was pretty cool, but that wore off at about age nine.
    I've watched several things on her life and I can relate to her as a human being, and I really do feel sad for her and the life she lived. I can even tell you exactly where I was when they announced her death on the car radio when I was 14 and I was SHOCKED at her age. I thought she was about 30 years older than what she really was.
    I used to mostly date older men and they just ADORED her. So to really try and appreciate her I watched most anything I could get my hands on to see what I was missing. I rented "A Star is Born" and had to fast forward through her singing parts because I just felt embarrassed for a grown woman to be doing all that silly stuff like dancing on furniture and making a fool of herself. I told this to a guy I was dating and he never asked me out again.
    I've spoken about this for YEARS among my peers and they just shake their heads and say "I don't see what's so special either."
    I've decided she's like Woody Allen movies, some people think they're the most fantastic things ever made, while you'd have to "Hog Tie" me to make me watch another one!
    Now Barbara Streisand, Diana Ross, Donna Summer, we go berserk!

Judy Garland? Please God don't make me listen to, or watch THAT!

monroe62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    As a Gay man and at the risk of having my membership card taken away, I just have to say I just don't "Get" Judy Garland.
    I'm 54 and I really don't know anyone of my generation, or younger who thinks she's "All That".
    Sure as a child I thought "The Wizard of OZ" was pretty cool, but that wore off at about age nine.
    I've watched several things on her life and I can relate to her as a human being, and I really do feel sad for her and the life she lived. I can even tell you exactly where I was when they announced her death on the car radio when I was 14 and I was SHOCKED at her age. I thought she was about 30 years older than what she really was.
    I used to mostly date older men and they just ADORED her. So to really try and appreciate her I watched most anything I could get my hands on to see what I was missing. I rented "A Star is Born" and had to fast forward through her singing parts because I just felt embarrassed for a grown woman to be doing all that silly stuff like dancing on furniture and making a fool of herself. I told this to a guy I was dating and he never asked me out again.
    I've spoken about this for YEARS among my peers and they just shake their heads and say "I don't see what's so special either."
    I've decided she's like Woody Allen movies, some people think they're the most fantastic things ever made, while you'd have to "Hog Tie" me to make me watch another one!
    Now Barbara Streisand, Diana Ross, Donna Summer, we go berserk!

Judy Garland? Please God don't make me listen to, or watch THAT!
    Somewhere a gay man just clutched his pearls, swooned, and fainted on a divan.

My sentiments exactly..how could you, Sam? I kid, really. I LLLOOOOVVVEEEEE my Judy and seeing Liza at THE Palace this past Christmas was a dream come true.

Dane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I rented "A Star is Born" and had to fast forward through her singing parts because I just felt embarrassed for a grown woman to be doing all that silly stuff like dancing on furniture and making a fool of herself.
    What? I ... I ... Huh.

In a Sea of Sorrow Guest
    Regardless of how you feel about her...she was TOTALLY ripped off the Academy Award for "A Star is Born". If you watch that movie and disagree...well I just don't know what to say. I love, love, love her!

In a Sea of Sorrow Guest
    I had to bump this because I'm listening to side two of Judy at Carnegie Hall. Sigh......

It is truly wonderful, isn't it. I have it on the p.c. And Summer Stock's "Get Happy", too. Awesome Stuff!!