Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Judy Garland

SuckMyKiss Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KMKSouthie2001 View Post
    I believe they were referring to the fact that Judy Garland is a major icon within the Gay Community, especially because the Stonewall Riots occurred on the day of her funeral, and are believed by many to have been caused or strongly influenced by the grief of Judy's death. Therefore, I agree with 'Catherine of Siena'. Here's some additional information regarding the topic:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_2419101160
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_riots

I know all that already.

But this person is known for posting that shit on every thread she posts on, like she's obsessed with people being gay. I just chose the wrong thread to write this on as it turned out to be an appropriate comment. Haha. But trust me..she's been banned for it.

[quote=MbalmR;46043]Does anyone know if this is true? I heard or read somewhere that the song "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" is the song most re-done by the most performers/bands.

i googled most covered song,and lots of good came up,and there are several sites that concern themselves with this question.

yesterday is disputed as being the #1 cover of all time,as is commonly thought.[and it may be,just not conclusive]

i would have guessed maybe stardust.

but,Rainbow appears to be among the all time covered,by most sources.

poppie Guest
    Liza Minnelli is one hell of a woman, too, in addition to be such a great talent. She paid off all her Mother's debts, which I understand was a lot of money. I hope Liza stays off the drugs and shit and doesn't end up like her Mother. Gay icons - I have been told that Barbra Striesand and Judy Garland's sons are both gay.

Catherine of Siena Guest

When Judy Garland was Madonna's age

she had already been dead three years.

If only the names could be interchanged!

Catherine of Siena Guest

Judy Garland: accident or suicide?

Will we ever know?

Discuss!

leevancleef Guest
    Judy once wrote an article about herself where she tells some interesting things like these:

" The things i like the most are walkin in the rain, chocolate, bonfires in the beach, Christmas Eve.... the things i pretty much dislike are salted peanuts, getting telephone connections,mayonnaise and popcorn.
    "i love playing tennis, cook but i hate to clean afterwards!,[SIZE=2]Keep the radio going or records playing whenever I'm in the house.."
    "i hate to [/SIZE][SIZE=2]have my nails filed, Go home when the party's getting good, get up early and i hate it when i [/SIZE][SIZE=2]hear a baby cry and nobody do anything about it(i thought that last one is sweet).
    [/SIZE]

JdoubleL Guest
    Judy was fabulous. I mean, I do sympathize with her. Being stuffed full of uppers all day to work then loaded with barbituates to sleep, then doing it all over again. I mean, no wonder she was so messed up.

But she was still dazzling.

And it's wicked cool that they were able to locate the pairs of ruby slippers. That's one of my favorite findadeath profiles. The one for Kent Warner. Gadzooks!

<3

Catherine of Siena Guest
    evidently you never worked with bob.
    Who is "bob"?

here is a 1967 interview with Judy by Barbara Walters. Very stoned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abu0E_DoTCE

part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSh4U9RPEgc

SuburbanDeathHag Guest
    Great clip--thanks! You just gotta love Judy. That daughter can't sing! I wonder what ever became of her son?

leeny994 Guest
    in one of the bios on jackie susann they mention jackie and irving were going into their building, (hotel) where judy had an apartment at the time and she had been locked out--apparently for not paying her bill. jackie gave her a wad of cash and i believe may have cleared her bill for her. this was after judy was fired from valley--and apparently was just standing on the sidewalk in a tee and jeans disheveled and confused... i think this was closer to the end for her unfortunately... so sad and so talented....

Noelle Page Guest
    Anyone see the Rufus Wainwright reenactment of Judy's famous Carnegie Hall concert? I like Rufus, but some of what I've seen on Youtube looked disappointing.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leeny994 View Post
    in one of the bios on jackie susann they mention jackie and irving were going into their building, (hotel) where judy had an apartment at the time and she had been locked out--apparently for not paying her bill. jackie gave her a wad of cash and i believe may have cleared her bill for her. this was after judy was fired from valley--and apparently was just standing on the sidewalk in a tee and jeans disheveled and confused... i think this was closer to the end for her unfortunately... so sad and so talented....
    WOW--what a pitiful story. So sad, but how cool of Jackie to do that for her... they both died WAY too young.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by erin View Post
    this will sound really gross, but the reason marilyn looks so, saggy, is because during the autopsy, Dr. Noguchi had to examine her brain, and in order to do that, he had to peel her face down to reach the skull. it made her look so distorted. they actually had to pull the skin at the base of her neck together together to tighten her face to make her look like marilyn again.
    I have worked as an autopsy technician prior to working in death investigation and what you are speaking of is called "reflecting" the scalp. I don't know how professional things were in 1962 and the Los Angeles County Coronor's Office has had more than it's share of problems...but the brain is examined in every autospy. The scalp therefore is always reflected. I do not know what caused her to look a but saggy in the facial area but I would suspect that it had something to do with the mortician who was speaking of cutting the back of her neck to deal with the edema (something I have never heard of).

Things were quite possibly different in 1962, but I have yet to see someones face sag due to the autospy. We (as ME's and techs) do not sew back up the scalp, that is left to the mortician. We pull the scalp back over the skull cap, but the "restoration" is left to the mortuary.

Hope that helps.

lisalouver Guest
    Judy Garland was born Frances Gumm here in Minnesota in Grand Rapids. They do have a museum there and it was a few summers ago that one of the pairs of ruby red slippers (there were several) were stolen from the museum. The owner had loaned them to the museum and they have never been recovered.

Sad.

Every year Grand Rapids hosts Judy Garland days and most of the munchkins that were alive used to come along with Mickey Rooney. I have not heard who still comes. I know the munchkin that played the coroner is still alive and just wrote a book a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostWorld View Post
    Thank you! Wow.. Marilyn looks nothing like Marilyn.
    She looked like that due to the autopsy.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

cherryghost Guest
    I always say I have an interest in the Macarbe! People dont seem to be quite so defensive or judgmental when you put your interest that way!

cherryghost Guest
    Rufus Wainwright is touring a concert of Judy Garland songs. There is a clip of him backed by a great orchestra doing" Zing went the strings of my heart" Gorgous and not a poor effort! Cool to hear a gay man performing Judy's songs! Id post it if I were not so slothful!

cherryghost Guest

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dbrian View Post
    Judy was great. I heard a story after Sinatra died that she was in a hotel room one time and was being beat up by some guy. She called Frank down in Florida--instead of the NYPD. Frank got on the phone and within minutes an army of cops stormed the room. Not sure if that's true or not--but its a good story. They were good friends in RL.
    Frank seemed to often come to the rescue of Hollywood women who were being beaten up!

Noelle Page Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    Rufus Wainwright is touring a concert of Judy Garland songs. There is a clip of him backed by a great orchestra doing" Zing went the strings of my heart" Gorgous and not a poor effort! Cool to hear a gay man performing Judy's songs! Id post it if I were not so slothful!

Hmm....I love Rufus and Judy both, but I saw that clip and.....well, it was brave of Rufus anyway.

Though a friend of mine who attended did say Rufus' rendition of "The Man Who Got Away" moved him to tears.

I would love to have seen that concert, loved the whole concept of it. But I'm not sure Rufus had the vocal chops to make it really memorable.

By the way, I learned on another thread that Joey Luft was arrested not long ago for purchasing cocaine? WTF? How old must he be by now? Those poor kids.

Catherine of Siena Guest

When Judy Garland was Madonna's age

She had already been dead 5 years! What a waste!

And.yet.madonna.continues.and.continues.and............yuck

Did you guys catch the Judy Garland bio on BIO this morning? Liza was on before her, but it makes me happy that every once in awhile "they" still give props to Judy. She was the ultimate triple threat...God, I really love her and wish I was born 20 years earlier. She died as I was in utero....<sigh>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Did you guys catch the Judy Garland bio on BIO this morning? Liza was on before her, but it makes me happy that every once in awhile "they" still give props to Judy. She was the ultimate triple threat...God, I really love her and wish I was born 20 years earlier. She died as I was in utero....<sigh>
    My 4 year old just begged for me to put The Wizard of Oz on for her for the millionth time.

Another Garland fan in the making, I'm telling you!

Nuthin' wrong with that!!

raul.conchita@verizon.net Guest

Susan Hayward and Judy Garland

I PROMISE this will be my last post regarding this. Attention all you wonderful Death Hags. May I enlist your support?(or not) On You Tube, I was viewing Judy Garland I'll Plant My Own Tree posted by Jeff Miguel, and posted a comment about Miss Hayward not accepting the Helen Lawson Role in VOTD. Now I am willing (reluctantly) to admit when I am wrong, but take a look at the comments from a certain know it all in response to my story, and tell me what you think. I would appreciate it. Yours in Death Hagginess- Michael Fowler

Bake Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by raul.conchita@verizon.net View Post
    I PROMISE this will be my last post regarding this. Attention all you wonderful Death Hags. May I enlist your support?(or not) On You Tube, I was viewing Judy Garland I'll Plant My Own Tree posted by Jeff Miguel, and posted a comment about Miss Hayward not accepting the Helen Lawson Role in VOTD. Now I am willing (reluctantly) to admit when I am wrong, but take a look at the comments from a certain know it all in response to my story, and tell me what you think. I would appreciate it. Yours in Death Hagginess- Michael Fowler
    Never mind, figured it out...duh...sure looks like a p-in match going on there.

my posts are from mrfowler,opposing view is defundthe war... I think if you click view all replies you'll see-thanks for looking

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    So much going back and forth, it's just the Internet, I mean, try not to let it bother you. I've never heard of Susan meddling with Judy and demanding Judy be paid, but I wasn't there. If you HAVE to know, what I would suggest is going to Ginger's website on Susan. You can get it by asking President Bush to help you use "the Google," as he does, to find it by typing in "Ginger Susan Hayward." Anyway, Ginger is a big fan with a nice webpage for Susan and a diehard set of fans. There's a Susan-only message board, someone there might know definitively. Also, one of Susan's sons posts there from time to time and will answer questions, maybe if you post something, he will know or help. There's also some wonderful pictures of her grandchildren there, two of the girls look just like her.

Yeah, you're right... I guess I am a little too sensitive.AHAHAHAHA! Ginger's Susan Hayward Page is terrific!

Just a reminder that tomorrow, June 10th would have been Judy's 86th birthday. Lots of movies on TCM!

sunshine74137 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    My 4 year old just begged for me to put The Wizard of Oz on for her for the millionth time.

Another Garland fan in the making, I'm telling you!
    My son used to do the same thing, although the monkeys scared him, Now he's sixteen and borrowing all my clothes, go figure.

We must be the same age!!! LOL I love her biography and have seen that one several times. There was another tidbit on about her and for the life of me I can't remember where I saw it, but she apparently audiotaped herself, perhaps in preparation for her autobiography that I don't believe was ever completed, but may be wrong. Judy was PISSED!! She cursed out just about everyone she ever knew and who could blame her!!

Quote Originally Posted by NeonCandy View Post
    We must be the same age!!! LOL I love her biography and have seen that one several times. There was another tidbit on about her and for the life of me I can't remember where I saw it, but she apparently audiotaped herself, perhaps in preparation for her autobiography that I don't believe was ever completed, but may be wrong. Judy was PISSED!! She cursed out just about everyone she ever knew and who could blame her!!
    I think this was after her TV show was cancelled (?) but I'm not 100 percent sure. CRS is hitting me at the moment and I can't remember where I heard that clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    I think this was after her TV show was cancelled (?) but I'm not 100 percent sure. CRS is hitting me at the moment and I can't remember where I heard that clip.

I think you're right. It was easy to tell she was drunk, at the very least. I think, however, she meant every damn word she said. I'll see if I can dig up any info on this.

I was born in March of 1970..exactly 9 months after her death...dare I think? No, I can't sing! LOL. Those tapes are available for purchase somewhere on the net, but they are heartbreaking to hear. The meds were already warping her mind and she was VERY angry and hurt. Say, maybe tomorrow I'll boogie on over to Westchester and give her a big ol' "we love and miss you, Judy" from all of us Death Hags. She would love it; she was morbid, too!
    Also, NYC's Gay Pride celebration is on the 29th..remember, the Stonewall riots happened the night of her funeral. One of the many reason's we're known as "friends of Dorothy" and the rainbow is used as the gay flag. So, thanks Judy! The flags will fly at half mast on Fire Island for you tomorrow!
    Last edited by joplinfrk; 06-09-2008 at 07:05 PM.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine74137 View Post
    My son used to do the same thing, although the monkeys scared him, Now he's sixteen and borrowing all my clothes, go figure.
    LOL Sunshine!

Indeed!

She was indeed a triple threat, I just love her.
    Today is her birthday!

When she passed our family was on a camping trip (way out in the boonies) and one morning mom said "I had a dream Judy Garland diesd"
    When we got back to civilization a few days later, sure enough, ma was right!

Wow, that's a neat story, Kate! I love Judy and I wish I was born 20/30 years before I was (1970). I missed them all: Janis, Patsy, Elvis...Oh, well...maybe next time.

Judy

Wow, that's a neat story, Kate! I love Judy and I wish I was born 20/30 years before I was (1970). I missed them all: Janis, Patsy, Elvis...Oh, well...maybe next time.
    When I was very little I used to conduse my mom with Judy, she was the same size and had auburn hair and listened to Judy constantly!

There really isn't anyone since who measures up!

Amen to that! Are you watching TCM today? Summer Stock is on later! Right after Harvey Girls!

Amen to that! Are you watching TCM today? Summer Stock is on later! Right after Harvey Girls!
    I am recording it all!

kandykisses Guest
    I was born in March of 1970..exactly 9 months after her death...dare I think? No, I can't sing! LOL. Those tapes are available for purchase somewhere on the net, but they are heartbreaking to hear. The meds were already warping her mind and she was VERY angry and hurt. Say, maybe tomorrow I'll boogie on over to Westchester and give her a big ol' "we love and miss you, Judy" from all of us Death Hags. She would love it; she was morbid, too!
    Also, NYC's Gay Pride celebration is on the 29th..remember, the Stonewall riots happened the night of her funeral. One of the many reason's we're known as "friends of Dorothy" and the rainbow is used as the gay flag. So, thanks Judy! The flags will fly at half mast on Fire Island for you tomorrow!
    I didn't know that about the Rainbow flag. I just thought it represented people form all walks of life and races could be Gay. I learned something new today. Thanks.

My pleasure! I'm sure it has that meaning, too. Being the Judy fan that I am, I like to incorporate her in as much as I can.

kandykisses Guest
    My pleasure! I'm sure it has that meaning, too. Being the Judy fan that I am, I like to incorporate her in as much as I can.
    Did you see SITC the Movie? They have a Judy link in there. I think this could be a thread. How many things or people can be linked to Judy Garland. Kind of like the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon Game. Ex Wriggleys Chewing Gum-Her real last name was Gumm.

No, but I want to! That's great..everyone should have a little Judy in their life. The world wouldn't be so hostile!

kandykisses Guest
    No, but I want to! That's great..everyone should have a little Judy in their life. The world wouldn't be so hostile!
    Yes you hear her sing and you can't not smile.

Just a reminder that tomorrow, June 10th would have been Judy's 86th birthday. Lots of movies on TCM!
    WOW, I forgot we shared the same birthday. Thanks Jop.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

kandykisses Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    WOW, I forgot we shared the same birthday. Thanks Jop.
    happy b-day CindyT!

That's something to celebrate! I share mine with Karen Carpentar, Jon Bon Jovi, Desi Arnaz, Lou Reed and Dale Bozzio from Missing Persons!

The Harvey Girls is coming up, followed by Summer Stock!!
    Last edited by joplinfrk; 06-10-2008 at 11:56 AM.

Ms. Black Guest
    Happy Birthday Judes! We miss you.