Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Judy Garland

Happy late Birthday Judy. I loved her movies, however, I did get very tired of The Wizard of OZ, my mom, had to watch it every year it came on plus her dvd copy at least twice a week...

RIP Ms. Judy
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Highlights of Judy Garland's (never written) autobiography tapes on Howard Stern. Warning: Stern and crew laugh and joke about it. But you get hear Judy say things like "Sons of bitches!" and "...a bum! Sid Luft!" and "I'll tell the world!" with sheer rage. Totally angry, drunk and high on pills. Love it.

Last edited by Gladiolus; 08-30-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave62 View Post
    As a die hard fan of Miss Garland I have to admit it is too much to try and watch the series one episode after another. She grates on the nerves after awhile.

I can never understand what enjoyment there is in any marathon-watching of any TV series. “I Love Lucy” marathons are particularly peculiar. I mean, Christ, how much Lucy can you take ? How many times in a row can you watch Lucy scheming to break into show biz ? She's on every day in perpetual reruns, anyway.

I was in the Phila Museum of Art, one of the great US museums …. after about three hours my skin was crawling, I had to get out, how much “culture” can you take at one time ? And I didn’t get to see all I wanted to in the museum. It’s just that you can only take so much of something. Same with watching any TV series.
    Same can be said about other things in life such as music for example. Those who listen to The Beatles and ONLY the Beatles for example. Just how much one can take of John-Paul-George and Ringo ?? Dittos with amusement parks. The theme park sites are chock full of people willing to pay big bucks just to ride a roller coaster thousands of miles away from home, like say someone from Boston flying to Phoenix just to ride a roller coaster in a small amusement park outside of a dead shopping mall and chances are that roller coaster really isn't any different as to what one could find in New England within their own backyard. Oh well..to each their own. I myself don't get it.
    Last edited by choff; 08-31-2013 at 12:36 AM.

My daughter and I watched some of Easter Parade last night. She only knew Judy as "Dorothy" of course so she got a kick out of seeing her in something else even though I was informed "I only recognized her from her voice she doesnt look the same" I thought she looked the same enough to be recognized *shrug* I told her that Judy was a huge gay icon and she asked me why...I wasnt sure of the answer I just told her she was over the top and campy and fabulous and she looked at me like "in what way..." children!

this is one of the scenes we watched it was adorable! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uevi7AsLFeY
    Last edited by Gabby; 12-19-2013 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabby View Post
    My daughter and I watched some of Easter Parade last night. She only knew Judy as "Dorothy" of course so she got a kick out of seeing her in something else even though I was informed "I only recognized her from her voice she doesnt look the same" I thought she looked the same enough to be recognized *shrug* I told her that Judy was a huge gay icon and she asked me why...I wasnt sure of the answer I just told her she was over the top and campy and fabulous and she looked at me like "in what way..." children!

this is one of the scenes we watched it was adorable! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uevi7AsLFeY
    She was a gay icon because she SUPPORTED the gay community in a time when homosexuality was still whispered about. Her father and 3 of her husbands had gay proclivities too. Her mentor, Roger Edens was gay. She was a fag hag of the highest order because she liked being around artistic, sensitive, handsome, vibrant men. She knew who her audience was she loved them right back. She was accessible to her audiences and respected them. She touched hands, blew kisses. She loved applause and causing pandemonium more than any drug she ingested and she got pissed off if she saw someone in the audience who wasn't applauding. She wanted each and everyone sitting there to get their money's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by KissingJosh View Post
    She was a gay icon because she SUPPORTED the gay community in a time when homosexuality was still whispered about. Her father and 3 of her husbands had gay proclivities too. Her mentor, Roger Edens was gay. She was a fag hag of the highest order because she liked being around artistic, sensitive, handsome, vibrant men. She knew who her audience was she loved them right back. She was accessible to her audiences and respected them. She touched hands, blew kisses. She loved applause and causing pandemonium more than any drug she ingested and she got pissed off if she saw someone in the audience who wasn't applauding. She wanted each and everyone sitting there to get their money's worth.
    ty for educating me! I will be sure to tell my daughter

Quote Originally Posted by KissingJosh View Post
    Nicely said! And very true!

http://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs.../08/gross2.htm "When I die I have visions of fags singing 'Over the Rainbow' and the flag at Fire Island being flown at half mast."

Her other daughter Lorna Luft , was just on tv over here .Unfortunately , her choice of songs was dire and I read quite a few comments saying why couldn't she have chosen something a bit more cheerful .They were all very old slow ballads , that didn't do much to make you warm to her if you didn't know her. It didn't help that the other guests were gathered round the piano too with a big Xmas tree , and there was just Lorna singing sad tunes ! still , she has a good fan base Wonder if she and Liza sing together ?

Arky67 Guest
    Lorna recently had a concert on PBS to raise money for breast cancer study organizations. Liza and she performed the "Sisters" medley they had done on the Tony Awards Show several years ago. Liza's voice seemed severely diminished. I don't really know how much she performs anymore.

Judy Garland's Casket Handles

One morning I received a telephone call from a man who had looked me up on the internet. He said he had some items that had once belonged to Judy Garland that I might be interested in. He described the objects as "handles."

"What kind?" I asked "Door handles? Suitcase? Ping pong?" There was a slight pause. As I was rattling my brain for other types of handles to offer as an option, with "CB radio?" being the only other choice I could think of on the spot, he interrupted...

"They were the handles to her casket."

http://williamapercy.com/wiki/index....Casket_Handles
    Last edited by cindyt; 12-29-2013 at 12:48 PM.

13. 12-25-2013, 02:57 PM

14. 12-25-2013, 03:03 PM

i read judy's book, cmon get happy, someone once said that there was a part where she had to sing over the rainbow while giving head.
    i never came across that..anyone know what chapter that was in.?

16. 12-25-2013, 03:07 PM

17. 12-25-2013, 03:13 PM

18. 12-25-2013, 03:15 PM

19. 12-25-2013, 03:19 PM

​I thought I would post this . ...I know a long read but a lot of this stuff I had never heard..........

Wow, that was amazing MCgoul38!! Thanks for posting all of that!!
    Regards,
    Tamie
    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by tamiele View Post
    Wow, that was amazing MCgoul38!! Thanks for posting all of that!!
    ​Your so welcome Tamiele...........I had never heard any of this either ...........I know it was a long read but I really wanted everybody to get the jest of what the man was saying.......Talk about info.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

23. 12-29-2013, 02:44 AM

Quote Originally Posted by MCghoul38 View Post
    ​Your so welcome Tamiele...........I had never heard any of this either ...........I know it was a long read but I really wanted everybody to get the jest of what the man was saying.......Talk about info.....
    It was funny the fact that the ladies at the next table were listening to all of that. As a death hag - I would have been in death heaven but someone else - blah!!!! And the dry cleaner - "It's Judy Garland's dress"...."who's that??" but he still got caught up in the frenzy and finished the dress in 1 hour...covered in decomp no less. Such a great story, the whole thing.
    Regards,
    Tamie
    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

Yes it was funny and yeah as a death hag you couldn't have pried my dead cold body out of my chair, no way I would have missed that convo..........I'm amazed he got it done..........LOL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Poo Bah MCGee Guest
    "Juicey Garland"?

Quote Originally Posted by PiggyTx View Post
    i read judy's book, cmon get happy, someone once said that there was a part where she had to sing over the rainbow while giving head.
    Rubbish - if it isn't referenced it is bullshit. I know the book you're talking about - by David Shipman. He also said that she was slamming heroin. I have read over 11 books written about Judy Garland and his is worse than Mel Torme's in terms of facts.

lobosco107 Guest
    Judy died on this day - 45 years ago...

http://greatentertainersarchives.blo...y-garland.html

RIP Judy
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I'm watching TCM, and it's Judy Garland Month. Well, last day of it anyways. Watching "A Star is Born" and g***&&&amit. She was robbed of the Oscar. IMO.
    I had a really rough day. Our store was robbed, and I was involved. I'm ok, but shaken, so watching Judy's movies is relaxing me. I loved her. Wish she was treated better in HellWood.

Glad you're OK Piggy. That would be a scary thing to go through.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

thanks Clean

her corpse has been removed from NY to LA

http://pagesix.com/2017/01/27/judy-g...203.1395969249

Wonder what took the family so long to do this, and how much will Ferncliff charge for the next owner of that crypt ? "For sale, one crypt, slightly used (what's 48 years when you're talking ETERNITY), clean but has a slight smell of Judy to it". What irritates me is how the so-called journalist who wrote the article erroneously mentioned that Jayne Mansfield is also buried in H'wood (she's buried here in PA, the H'wood stone is a cenotaph) along with George Harrison (his cremains were said to be scattered in India per his religious beliefs). But then again we've entered the Era of Alternate Facts, so who knows .........

Hollywood Forever Cemetery is a much better resting place for her than some out of the way cemetery in Hartsdale, NY.

i would kill to look inside the box

Nothing much to see. People, and places in death appear differently then they did in life.

Quote Originally Posted by salvatore1989 View Post
    Nothing much to see. People, and places in death appear differently then they did in life.
    Why yes, they do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i would kill to look inside the box
    ME TOO! Is that multi-layered make up they put on her green face now a shriveled mask or is she dust?

He's prolly just being a fame whore, but, what if?
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news...cid=spartandhp
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

I just heard the sad news Judy's daughter Lorna Luft has been diagnosed with brain cancer. so sad my prayers are with her and her family. she is also a breast cancer survivor. I heard the reason they moved Judy's remains to California so her kids can be buried next to her when they pass.

Last edited by cindyt; 03-11-2018 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Add link
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Renee Zellweger as Judy Garland in â??Judyâ?? Biopic

A striking first image from “Judy” shows Renee Zellweger playing show business legend Judy Garland in a biopic from Pathé, BBC Films and Ingenious Media. Principal photography is now underway on the picture, which is being shot in London. The movie is set in the late 1960s as Garland arrives in the British capital for a run of sell-out concerts.

As well as Zellweger in the lead role, the cast includes Jessie Buckley (“War and Peace”), Finn Wittrock (“American Horror Story”) and Michael Gambon (“Harry Potter”).

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/renee-zellweger-judy-garland-2-1202729890/

GOD IS NOT DEAD

If they can make Mariel Hemingway into Dorothy Stratten Why not Renee Zellweger into Judy Garland.
    Last edited by theotherlondon; 03-22-2018 at 02:46 PM.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Anne Hathaway was slated to play her, I guess that's off. I wonder what Liza will say about Renee, she didn't want Anne portraying her mother, but thought Katie Holmes should do it. Katie Holmes ? Poor Liza , she's been out of touch with the biz too long ! LOL. Anyway, I can see Renee pulling it off.
    Last edited by Mansfield67; 03-22-2018 at 01:17 PM.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Me and some friends visited her new crypt at Hollywood Forever last weekend. Its in a really nice mausoleum they set up for her and surrounding her wall crypt are hundreds of clear glass niches all around it. Two were already taken - by Gay men! I think its going to be mostly filled by Gay men as time goes on.

I've seen some pictures of Renee Zellweiger (I know that is spelled wrong, sorry), who is portraying Judy in a film shooting now. She looks SO much like Judy in the months before her death. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

Interesting choice to play Judy. I like Renee but I NEVER would have thought of her. I could see Anne Hathaway in the role. I'll be interested in seeing this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by McCourt View Post
    I've seen some pictures of Renee Zellweiger (I know that is spelled wrong, sorry), who is portraying Judy in a film shooting now. She looks SO much like Judy in the months before her death. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Have you seen footage of her in Copenhagen (sometimes called "The Last Performance"). Clearly the woman was very ill. In the picture Rene seems to be wearing some incarnation of the "Poppy Dress" created for Judy's TV show 6 years earlier and looks like she is in her mid 40s. Judy was so thin and weakened from so many years of yo-yo dieting, uppers, downers and whatever else she could get her hands on she had to be assisted wherever she went. She looked like she was in her late 50s/eariy 60s and she was only 47.

Happy Birthday, Judy!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Happy Birthday, Judy!
    yes! I listened to her music this morning after a very stressful day at work.

She is my all -time favorite. Will watch anything with her in it.

So sad she was so troubled.

yes! I listened to her music this morning after a very stressful day at work.

She is my all -time favorite. Will watch anything with her in it.

So sad she was so troubled.
    I was born on her birthday.

It was heinous the way she was treated by her own mother and the studios during her coming of age years. Yes, she grew up and made her own choices, but they got the freaking ball rolling real fast.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Happy Birthday, Cindy and Judy.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Happy Birthday Judy and Cindy ! I have always been a fan of Judy's, the one performance that tears me up is from the Carson show in '68, she sings After The Holidays, so poignant.
    Last edited by Mansfield67; 06-10-2018 at 03:56 PM.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Thanks Jim and Mansfield!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

About a year ago I saw video of Judy online when she did Hollywood Palace from 1968. The videos were outtakes. Watching that I had feeling that she will be dead in less than a year and sadly she was. In the video Judy said...

"God damnit..this is so stupid !!"
    "I can't take this anymore" and threw down the mic.
    "I hate this shit"
    ..and while singing she threw her arms up in the air and said "..fuck it".

..and nobody on the set said anything !!

I went back and tried to see this again but the videos were deleted.

Sad, imagine today if she was alive people would
    be saying so much awful things about her online

Also her kids.
    Last edited by theotherlondon; 06-15-2018 at 03:25 PM.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.