Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Davy Jones

lisalouver Guest
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8h...?search_algo=1

His dance in here is how I will always remember him.

Thanks for the memories Davy

RaRaRamona Guest
    It just occurred to me that since he died on Leap Day....he's not really gone. Not till next Leap Day. We have another four years!

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by havoc View Post
    From CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/29/showbi...html?hpt=hp_t3

"That David has stepped beyond my view causes me the sadness that it does many of you," Nesmith posted on his Facebook page Wednesday. "I will miss him, but I won't abandon him to mortality ... David's spirit and soul live well in my heart, among all the lovely people, who remember with me the good times, and the healing times, that were created for so many, including us."

Very nice.

I saw Dolenz and Tork both made very nice statements as well. The Monkees were here in the Twin Cities last summer and I was unable to attend. So sad now that I missed it. As I mentioned earlier, I met Jones at a reunion show in Jones Beach NJ in 1986. I was 18 and acted just as Marcia had in The Brady Bunch. He was about as charming and lovely as he could be. Although I cant speak of him personally, I would say he was a class act.

Safe travels Davy

RaRaRamona Guest
    What's real deal, Bill McNeal? I read he had pains at his ranch & was rushed to the hospital, that he died in his sleep, that he had pains at home & went to hospital. What on earth?
    Last edited by RaRaRamona; 02-29-2012 at 07:55 PM.

MysticCho Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magnusdippytack View Post
    man alive, or should i say dead.
    Last night driving back from work i was channel surfing the satellite radio and pleasant valley sunday came on and i thought the "there's a '60's band (if you could call them that) in which all of the band is still around" and just a few minutes ago i heard davy jones died. Wow. I thought he would be the last to go.

David bowie had to change his name when he got started because he was born david jones

now i'll be monitoring this post for a last alive photo and a box shot.
    did not know that bout bowie
    thanks

My family saw a production of GREASE back in the early 1990s which starred Davy Jones as the sleazy "Dick Clark"- type DJ/host "Vince Fontaine", with Sally Struthers as the tipsy "Principal McGee." He was great, and their prom scene together was a hoot.
    I also looked forward to "the Monkees" night all those years ago. And to think, at age 10-11 back then, I thought age 66 was "super old."
    Now look what's happened.
    Last edited by Linnie; 02-29-2012 at 04:53 PM.

MysticCho Guest
    HIS LAST PERFORMANCE ON FEB 18TH AT THE BB KINGS BLUES CLUB IN NYC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKhmL...yer_embedded#!

Saveria Guest
    I loved both Davy Jones & Mickey Dolenz and adored them both equally! Rest in peace, Davy - you were fabulous & will be missed!

Vintage_Vixen Guest
    I haven't been around much lately, but I just had to pop in and post how sad I was to hear of Davy's passing . RIP Davy and condolences to your family.
    Davy: [reading aloud from Chic Magazine] Hey, hey, listen to this: why not take little metal bottle tops and nail them to your living room floor. It gives you the impression that you are walking upon little metal bottle tops.

Saveria Guest
    I loved both Davy Jones & Mickey Dolenz and adored them both equally! Rest in peace, Davy - you were fabulous & will be missed!

Khaos696 Guest
    RIP Davy, I also watched the monkees on Nickeloden growing up..

Mods.can.we.get.a.merge.please.I.see.that.someone.else.posted.a.thread.as.well.about. the.same.time.as.this.one.?

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    What's real deal, Bill McNeal? I read he had pains at his ranch & was rushed to the hospital, that he died in his sleep, that he had wins at home & went to hospital. What on earth?
    TMZ reporting about the ranch. the 911 call was the ranch hand? I think the died in his sleep may not be accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    Awww. What a sweetie! I wanted to marry Mickey myself but I thought Davy was just adorable.
    Guess I'll have to marry Johnny Gage now!! (shhh, don't tell my husband, what he doesn't know won't hurt him)
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

lisalouver Guest
    http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-th...230101900.html

Seems him passing away in his car while the ranch hand called 911 is most plausible - they probably took him to the hospital anyway.

qulevergrrl Guest
    OHHHH! This one made me sad! The older I get the younger 66 becomes. One of my favorite Brady Bunch episodes was the one Davy Jone's one. I love it when he's singing in the studio and HE fades out...ha haha ha ha ha! Doesn't that happen in production?!! Of course it does. Sad thing. Kinda a nice guy!

desertangel Guest
    Ah yes, the Davy Jones Dance... the one Axl Rose borrowed.

RIP Davy. The Monkees were my first also. Very sad for us, glad he didn't die a lingering death. {sob} - this makes me sad. A co-worker told me about it... I had no idea until about an hour ago. :-( Damn.

motherogod Guest
    RIP Davy. I was shocked by this, I've been watching the news to see if Peter had died. When MTV brought back the Monkees in 85 or 86 I taped and watched, then re-watched every episode and was hooked! Peter was always my favorite, but Davy was always a force in the band. Safe travels.

I like this comment from the link http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-th...230101900.html

"Too bad that the "stars" that our kids look up to don't have the same qualities that he did. He didn't do drugs, wasn't a drunk, didn't beat women, wasn't arrested on a daily basis and was an all around good guy. People from all walks of life should take a lesson from him. Rest in peace."

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post

"Too bad that the "stars" that our kids look up to don't have the same qualities that he did. He didn't do drugs, wasn't a drunk, didn't beat women, wasn't arrested on a daily basis and was an all around good guy. People from all walks of life should take a lesson from him. Rest in peace."
    That honestly about sums him up.

I had an inexplicable urge to watch Monkees videos on Youtube yesterday...the day BEFORE he died...and I hadn't thought of the Monkees in years. Must be some sort of Death Hag sense.

RIP Davy! Didn't grow up with them since they were before my time, but adored the re-runs on FOX and of course loved the music!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When life hands you tequila, make a margarita.

MissVondaKaye Guest
    Add me to the list of the brokenhearted. I had the biggest crush on him. I think he is the reason a British accent makes me go weak in the knees.

RIP Davy, and thank you for being a happy part of my childhood.

When Davey sang "I Want Too Be Free," it made me cry as a teenager. RIP Davey

My very first concert was The Monkees reunion tour when I was four. This news made me very very sad RIP Davy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity. ~Edvard Munch

OMG I am so shocked by this!! I had such a massive crush on him when I was growing up. Since I never got to meet and marry Paul McCartney, I decided it must be because Davy was the one for me. I'm so saddened by his passing. I did get to meet him about 20 years ago, which was a thrill for me. RIP Davy. You played a mean tambourine.
    I never wanted to see anybody die, but there are a few obituary notices I have read with pleasure. ~ Clarence Darrow

I just watched the footage of his show on the 18th and it made me realize that a heart could cause an otherwise healthy man to just drop dead. That is an obvious statement, but what I mean by it is that Davy shows no symptoms of a man who would be dead in a fortnight. Being a clean liver he probably thought he had at least another ten years. Hell, we all thought that.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

PurrPurr Guest
    Guy seemed to age well, but damn, a heart attack. You just never know, do you?
    RIP Davy.

His Monkees audition:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnO3u...ature=youtu.be

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    TMZ reporting about the ranch. the 911 call was the ranch hand? I think the died in his sleep may not be accurate?
    Oh dear I'm pretty sure he didn't have wins. I meant pains. Yikes!

Soxmeup Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8h...?search_algo=1

His dance in here is how I will always remember him.

Thanks for the memories Davy
    OK I was holding up fine until I clicked on this...

I was 5 when the Monkees were cancelled and had a mad crush on Davy. My BF saw him years ago, said he was nice enough but refused to sign autographs. I got one through the mail though less than a year ago.

Anybody else have the Dolenz Jones Boyce & Hart album from 1976? I wore it out.

Conflicting reports as to what happened but in any event it sounds like (like my dad) he was going about his life as usual and had no idea it was coming. RIP Davy.

MysticCho Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    I like this comment from the link http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-th...230101900.html

AGREED VERY WELL SAID HUN

Pryncis Guest
    I would race home from the bus stop after school to watch them on Nickelodeon. The show would come on at 4:30pm, just after You Can't Do That on Television. I always thhought Davy was so handsome and was totally bummed when my mom told me what I was watching was 20 years old. That's how I learned what a rerun was. RIP Davy...

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    Oh dear I'm pretty sure he didn't have wins. I meant pains. Yikes!
    Its ok Ra. I know its just from the heartache of losing Davy

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    I just watched the footage of his show on the 18th and it made me realize that a heart could cause an otherwise healthy man to just drop dead. That is an obvious statement, but what I mean by it is that Davy shows no symptoms of a man who would be dead in a fortnight. Being a clean liver he probably thought he had at least another ten years. Hell, we all thought that.
    Who would have thought the youngest would be the first to go?

Surfer Joe Guest
    Here's what kind of guy he was. This little girl from Arizona was struck by a truck while holding a Monkees record, on her way to the repair shop to retrieve her record player. She lost a leg. Either her father or the doctor asked her idol, Davy Jones, to write her a letter of encouragement, but he immediately flew to her side instead with an armload of gifts, and stayed with the family. Outside of this picture he didn't allow any further publicity, and he stayed in touch with her. Wonder where she is now...or, to quote Boyce and Hart, I wonder what she's doing tonight.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19433717@N00/5147339672/

http://keepupwithjones.davyjones.net/?p=1376

Quote Originally Posted by ppepper View Post
    When Davey sang "I Want Too Be Free," it made me cry as a teenager. RIP Davey
    A

Actually heard it twice tonight on the way to work. Loved both him and Micky as much as my little 8 year old heart could. I watched the reruns every night before supper

Rest in peace sweet man.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfer Joe View Post
    Here's what kind of guy he was. This little girl from Arizona was struck by a truck while holding a Monkees record, on her way to the repair shop to retrieve her record player. She lost a leg. Either her father or the doctor asked her idol, Davy Jones, to write her a letter of encouragement, but he immediately flew to her side instead with an armload of gifts, and stayed with the family. Outside of this picture he didn't allow any further publicity, and he stayed in touch with her. Wonder where she is now...or, to quote Boyce and Hart, I wonder what she's doing tonight.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19433717@N00/5147339672/

http://keepupwithjones.davyjones.net/?p=1376
    Thanks for this Joe. I never knew this

NOVSTORM Guest
    They were such a clean cut group for that era lol and I never realized how short he was !!~!

Rhonda Guest
    My walls were adorned with Tiger Beat pin-ups of Davy, David Cassidy, Donny Osmond, and Bobby Sherman. To this day if people ask me is I play a musical instrument, I tell them I do: the tambourine - just like Davy Jones RIP, my childhood friend.

Starstruck Guest
    I loooovvveeddd Davy

Quote Originally Posted by Pryncis View Post
    I would race home from the bus stop after school to watch them on Nickelodeon. The show would come on at 4:30pm, just after You Can't Do That on Television. I always thhought Davy was so handsome and was totally bummed when my mom told me what I was watching was 20 years old. That's how I learned what a rerun was. RIP Davy...
    Same here. I thought Davy was beyond dreamy when I was a kid and was just confused as all hell when my mom told me that The Monkees were older than her and the show was from the 60s! The show still comes on Antenna TV here on the weekends. Don't like it much now but the music is still great.

Funny, I was just thinking of Davy a few weeks ago and looked him up on YouTube, etc. Seems like all the people I liked as a kid are just dying off.
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

I remember Davy and the whole Milli Vanilli-type scandal broke out during the show's heyday. Davy really could sing but other musicians were really playing and backing him up. Such a big deal that was. Seems kinda stupid now considering they were put out as a tv novelty act in the first place.

The show was fun and i used to watch it every week. RIP Davy.

hallowbones Guest
    I got into the Monkees only a few years ago, when (for shame) I was playing singstar one Christmas with my siblings and "Daydream Believer" was one of the songs. I watched Davy do his little dance and remarked to my brother "that mofo Axl stole his moves!"

R.I.P Davy. Didn't think I'd wake up and see you on TMZ this morning.. such a great guy.

Oogie Boogie Guest
    C'mon everyone, add a line...

Here we come, walking down the street...

Quote Originally Posted by Oogie Boogie View Post
    C'mon everyone, add a line...

Here we come, walking down the street...
    We get the funniest looks from everyone we meet.

Quote Originally Posted by racingfan View Post
    We get the funniest looks from everyone we meet.
    Hey, hey! We're the Monkees!
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    I remember Davy and the whole Milli Vanilli-type scandal broke out during the show's heyday. Davy really could sing but other musicians were really playing and backing him up. Such a big deal that was. Seems kinda stupid now considering they were put out as a tv novelty act in the first place.

The show was fun and i used to watch it every week. RIP Davy.
    Davy won a Tony award for his role in Oliver before the Monkees were conceived. By his own admission, he was not the greatest singer at the time, but he took lessons and became quite good. Contrary to popular belief, Dolenz did the most singing of the quartet.

The band did play the instruments themselves on tour, but in the studio not so much. Their backing band, Candy Store Prophets played all the instrumental solos.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Stevil Guest

My fav, written by Harry Nilsson

Micky Dolenz said Harry wrote this about a gang bang he was involved in.

The song is called Cuddly Toy, (youtube won't allow it)
    Last edited by Stevil; 07-28-2013 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Video no longer existed

People say we 'Monkee' around??? (Is that right)

I read somewhere many years ago.... that whenever the Monkee's toured the UK, the opening act was none other than Jimi Hendrix who was Booed yeah BOOED off the stage by all the teenage girls screaming for the Monkees.
    I don't know if this is true or not maybe someone from across the pond can confirm.
    "There are two things you gotta learn how to say in life, thank you, and fuck you."-John Rzeznik

PurrPurr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Demgirl View Post
    .When Davy gets to Heaven, my dad will roll his eyes and my mom will tell him to "turn down the volume, please". RIP Davy, thanks for all the good times.
    My parents are probably nagging him to get a haircut.