Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jim Henson

Jim Henson

After watching Muppet Christmas Carol, searched for a thread and didn't see one for him.

Birth: Sep. 24, 1936Death: May 16, 1990
    Entertainer. He is best known as the creator of the "Muppets". He began his career on a Washington, DC television station on a five-minute program called "Sam and Friends." The appearance of Muppets on the show "Sesame Street" (1969) catapulted Henson to nationwide popularity. His subsequent television shows ("The Muppet Show" in 1976, and "Fraggle Rock" in 1983) and films--The Muppet Movie (1979), The Great Muppet Caper (1981), The Muppets Take Manhattan (1984)-gained international recognition. His characters include such well-known figures as Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Big Bird, the Cookie Monster, and Snuffleupagus. He co-directed motion picture "The Dark Crystal" (1981) and directed "Labyrinth" (1986), two films that did not include the use of Muppets.

Cause of death: Pneumonia

The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

GrinReaper Guest
    Another one of those "I can't believe he died."
    Seems like he went away too soon and too young.

Wasn't there another famous celeb. who died on or near the same day?
    Was it Sammy Davis Jr.?

SuckMyKiss Guest
    Jim Henson was born on the same day as me. Not the same year, obviously, just wanna point that out.
    He was cool. It was touching that they had Kermit, or one of the puppets on his coffin at the funeral, with a sign round his neck saying ''I've lost my voice''.

lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post
    Another one of those "I can't believe he died."
    Seems like he went away too soon and too young.

Wasn't there another famous celeb. who died on or near the same day?
    Was it Sammy Davis Jr.?
    Yeah, Sammy died the same day as Jim. Two great unforgettable voices in one day, very sad.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SuckMyKiss View Post
    Jim Henson was born on the same day as me. Not the same year, obviously, just wanna point that out.
    He was cool. It was touching that they had Kermit, or one of the puppets on his coffin at the funeral, with a sign round his neck saying ''I've lost my voice''.
    I don't know, sounds kind of creepy to me they did that??

Kathyf Guest
    It was such a shock when he died so fast.

DarkePriz Guest
    I still miss the talented, gentle, funny Jim Henson.......he and the Muppets were the source of many hours of joy for me

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    I don't know, sounds kind of creepy to me they did that??
    I think it's sweet and very sad

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    It was such a shock when he died so fast.
    I thought I remembered reading a long time ago that if he had just come to the hospital a few hours earlier, he probably wouldn't have died?

Kathyf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    I thought I remembered reading a long time ago that if he had just come to the hospital a few hours earlier, he probably wouldn't have died?
    Me too this is why.
    Bacteria typically enter the lung with inhalation, though they can reach the lung through the bloodstream if other parts of the body are infected. Often, bacteria live in parts of the upper respiratory tract and are continually being inhaled into the alveoli. Once inside the alveoli, bacteria travel into the spaces between the cells and also between adjacent alveoli through connecting pores. This invasion triggers the immune system to respond by sending white blood cells responsible for attacking microorganisms (neutrophils) to the lungs. The neutrophils engulf and kill the offending organisms but also release cytokines which result in a general activation of the immune system. This results in the fever, chills, and fatigue common in bacterial and fungal pneumonia. The neutrophils, bacteria, and fluid leaked from surrounding blood vessels fill the alveoli and result in impaired oxygen transportation.
    Bacteria often travel from the lung into the blood stream and can result in serious illness such as septic shock, in which there is low blood pressure leading to damage in multiple parts of the body including the brain, kidney, and heart. They can also travel to the area between the lungs and the chest wall, called the pleural cavity.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Me too this is why.
    Bacteria typically enter the lung with inhalation, though they can reach the lung through the bloodstream if other parts of the body are infected. Often, bacteria live in parts of the upper respiratory tract and are continually being inhaled into the alveoli. Once inside the alveoli, bacteria travel into the spaces between the cells and also between adjacent alveoli through connecting pores. This invasion triggers the immune system to respond by sending white blood cells responsible for attacking microorganisms (neutrophils) to the lungs. The neutrophils engulf and kill the offending organisms but also release cytokines which result in a general activation of the immune system. This results in the fever, chills, and fatigue common in bacterial and fungal pneumonia. The neutrophils, bacteria, and fluid leaked from surrounding blood vessels fill the alveoli and result in impaired oxygen transportation.
    Bacteria often travel from the lung into the blood stream and can result in serious illness such as septic shock, in which there is low blood pressure leading to damage in multiple parts of the body including the brain, kidney, and heart. They can also travel to the area between the lungs and the chest wall, called the pleural cavity.
    Makes me want to wear a mask.

donetodeath Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkePriz View Post
    I still miss the talented, gentle, funny Jim Henson.......he and the Muppets were the source of many hours of joy for me
    My brother use to take me to the movies nearly every saturday to watch the muppet movie when it was showing,i loved him for it!

Kathyf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Makes me want to wear a mask.
    Me too . My sons friend who is 22 just came out of a 3 week comma from something like this it was so scary They don't even know how he got it.

God, I love the muppets! When I was a little girl until I graduated from college, my bedroom was decorated in a Miss Piggy theme. I still have all my muppet sheet sets and my kids fight over them now. Another treasure is the Swedish Chef's cookbook. It tells you how to make Fillet of Sole using old Tennis Shoes, with an asterisk at the bottom saying that you can substitute fish for the shoes if you really want to.

I am so happy the Muppet Show is now available on DVD. But the DVDs are part of Mom's collection, I don't want them to get scratched! Just watched the one with Elton John where he plays Crocodile Rock and is attacked by the Crocodiles at the end.

When Jim Henson died, I couldn't believe it, he's in one of those categories like Princess Diana that I could have never imagined would have died in a million years.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

djdeath-hag Guest
    I remember a poingnant "cartoon" in the paper the following morning...it depicted Sammy Davis Jr. & Kermit bowing towards each other amid clouds. It made me sad.

Kathyf Guest

love this

SanDiegodeathhag19 Guest
    anyone got a pic of the casket?

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegodeathhag19 View Post
    anyone got a pic of the casket?
    Sandiego luv, you cracked me up! Here everyone's waxing poetic, perhaps shedding a tear for a beloved man, and up pops a true death hag, asking to see the goodies! baw haw haw!

SanDiegodeathhag19 Guest
    well.. i do want to see it!! im a death hag what can i say lol!

and just for good measure...

he was loved by all who knew him..

Loved Jim & the muppets... The shows & movies still crack me up! Im like a little kid when i go to disney land & see muppets 3d!

endsleigh03 Guest

love this
    Awwwwwwwwww....

Elizabeth Guest

Smile This Time Of Year

I miss Jim Henson and John Denver so much this time of year.....they made my favorite Christmas CD "John Denver & The Muppets".....John and Jim were very good friends, and worked together a lot.....

And I think "The Muppets Christmas Carol" is one of the best "Scrooge" movies ever made....very sweet and touching....

Jazbabee Guest
    Jim Henson was absolutely wonderful....I remember being shocked by his death. But, I seem to recall that his pneumonia was actually a complication stemming from something else. Does anyone remember hearing this from that time, or am I just confusing him with someone else ??

Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    Jim Henson was absolutely wonderful....I remember being shocked by his death. But, I seem to recall that his pneumonia was actually a complication stemming from something else. Does anyone remember hearing this from that time, or am I just confusing him with someone else ??
    From what I remember, he originally had a bad cold that somehow turned into the flu, and then turned into pneumonia within a few hours. He didn't go to the hospital sooner because he just thought he had a bad cold that would get better on its own.

A little googling returned this on the subject of Jim Henson's funeral. Sorry SanDiegoDeathHag, no pictures of the casket as of yet!

Part 1 of 3:

Saying "Goodbye" to Jim

JHM guest columnist Chris Barry continues his series about working at the Jim Henson Company by recalling a particularly sad occassion: The Muppet master's memorial service.

There's nothing quite like the sound of a huge church pipe organ.
    There's also nothing quite like hearing that huge church pipe organ playing "The Rainbow Connection."
    Sitting in the Cathedral of St. John the Divine awaiting the start of the Jim Henson memorial service hearing that familiar song being played in such an unfamiliar way, I knew I was in for a memorable experience. It was only five days ago that I received the early morning call from my best friend Dawn alerting me to Jim's passing. Only nine days earlier I had sat across a desk from my hero and gained, if possible, an even greater appreciation for him. It had been a rough few days for everyone who appreciated Henson's gifts to the world. Now the Jim Henson Company had organized one heck of a send off for their beloved leader.
    The cathedral, a national treasure itself, was decorated with large photos of Jim and his various creations hanging on the massive columns that line the walls. There were collections of company and family photographs arranged on boards in the back of the cathedral as you entered. Hundreds of small foam butterflies attached to a metal puppeteers rod were handed out to be "performed" by everyone at a later point in the service. I still have mine. The foam is barely holding together.
    At Jane Henson's request there were flowers everywhere. As per Jim's own instructions, people were to refrain from wearing black. There were celebrities in attendance. George Lucas, Darryl Hannah, Rick Moranis, Frank Wells, and Michael Eisner himself were all spotted. More importantly, the service was open to the public and the seats and aisles were filled with fans. The most touching thing to me was to see so many parents holding small children who were in turn clutching their Ernies or Kermits in their little arms.
    As the organ music came to a stop, the Henson family, the Muppet performers and several clergy were led in by The Dirty Dozen Brass Band playing a somber New Orleans style funeral march.
    As the service began Muppeteer Richard Hunt (Scooter, Janis and countless others) took the stage and read letters from children who had grown up on Sesame Street and how the loss of Jim had affected them. He told us that we would laugh and cry today but we would also "breathe in Jim's air...one last time."
    Long time Muppet writer Jerry Juhl spoke, Muppeteers Jerry Nelson and Louise Gold sang. Harry Belafonte performed a song he had performed years earlier on "The Muppet show." During this performance everyone began fluttering the butterfly puppets. The sight of hundreds of multicolored butterflies coming to life as Belafonte sang "Turn the World Around" was a sight I'll never forget.
    Last edited by geekygirl; 12-01-2007 at 11:38 AM.

Part 2 of 3:

Next up was Frank Oz (Bert, Fozzie, Miss Piggy, etc.). Frank's close relationship and love for Jim was apparent as he told a wonderful story about a particular Christmas present that Jim had made for him. In their Saturday Night Live days, Jim asked Frank to go into his dressing room, take off all his clothes, hold his hands over his genitals, and look into the lens of a camera with a shocked expression as Jim took a photo. Frank cautiously but happily obliged. As Christmas approached Jim gave Frank his gift. It was a sculpture of sorts, consisting of a large Bert holding a shelf of little Bert's all looking back at the big Bert. Jim had taken pictures of all the Creature shop people responsible for making Bert. He cut each face out and glued them onto the shelf. He then cut out the pupils of big Bert's eyes and replaced them each with the photos of Frank naked.
    As Frank finished his story, he went on to say how this gift was so representative of Jim. The detail, the textures, the generosity of the time it took to make, were all so indicative of Jim's personality. He then left the stage in tears. The tears were infectious as Kermit's signature song "The Rainbow Connection" began playing. Nobody was on stage. Only the sound of Henson singing as Kermit filled the air in the cathedral as more butterflies fluttered and we all cried.
    After a short heartfelt speech by Sesame writer/director John Stone, the soft sounds of a piano were heard. As we wondered what or who was next, we saw Big Bird gently, almost elegantly, stroll out onto the stage. He was wearing a Kermit green bow tie. The tears flowed as Bird began to sing, "Bein' Green." You could hear Carrol Spinney's voice struggling to get through the poignant song as he finished, looked up at heaven and said, "Thank you Kermit." I tear up just thinking about it, all these years later.

A few more speakers followed; Bernie Brillstein, Jim's longtime manager and Michael Frith, Henson's Head of Design each spoke eloquently about the loss of their dear friend. Original Muppeteer Jerry Nelson spoke as his character Floyd and read a poem entitled, "Fearless Leader." Several priests then read from different religious texts at the Henson family's request.
    Then the family themselves took the stage. Jane introduced the five children, spoke for awhile and then let son Brian and daughter Cheryl read from letters that Jim had left for them. Henson had written about his thoughts on his own death four years earlier. He expressed his curiosity about the afterlife, his love for his kids and his wishes for his service. Cheryl read that he was hoping to leave this world a little bit better than it was when he got here. I hope he realized just how successful he was in that respect.
    Perhaps the most special part of the service took place next as the core Muppet performers, Richard Hunt, Jerry Nelson, Frank Oz, Dave Goelz, Kevin Clash and Steve Whitmire (dressed in a Kermit green three piece suit, shirt, tie, and shoes, perhaps foreshadowing the fact that he would take Jim's place as Kermit) took the stage and sang what they referred to as some of Jim's favorite songs. "The Cutest Little Baby Face," (sung in Muppet chickens' voices) "Lydia, the Tattooed Lady" (sung by Clash in Elmo's voice), "You Are My Sunshine," "I'm Going to Go Back There Someday" (sung by Goelz in Gonzo's voice) were among some of the treasures performed by the Muppet troupe. The final song, "Just One Person" was begun by Richard Hunt performing with Scooter, his most famous character. As each verse progressed, each Muppeteer joined in with their own Muppets until the stage was filled with all the Muppet performers and their beloved characters. The audience rose to their feet and applauded and cried out loud. It was an extremely moving moment and a fitting way to end the service.
    The bishop closed the ceremony and The Dirty Dozen Brass Band led us all out with a rousing rendition of "When the Saints Go Marching In."This was what Jim Henson had requested. Maybe some of the performers could sing a little. Maybe some of his friends could tell some stories. Maybe a Dixieland band could play "Saints." His wishes were granted happily by his beloved family and friends.

The words he left behind for his kids, which were printed in the program, summed up the day's emotions:
    "Please watch out for each other and love and forgive everybody. It's a good life, enjoy it."
    Once again, even in his passing Jim Henson taught us all a valuable and treasured lesson.
    Last edited by geekygirl; 12-01-2007 at 11:39 AM.

Part 3 of 3:

Other Google Links:
    Jim Hensonâ??s Memorial Service
    On The Road With David (a Muppet-Inspired Circus performer)â??s page about watching the CNN News footage Jim Hensonâ??s Funeral on television http://www.ontheroadwithdavid.com/OnTheRoad/Henson.htm (includes some pictures from the service, including one of the 16 puppeteers singing at the alter rail â?? spot Steve Whitmire and Louise Gold in their bright clothing)
    Muppet Musiqueâ??spage for the service (gives a slightly fuller description then the others): http://www.mystacor.com/muppet_musique/jhms/jhms.html
    TVDVD Reviews.com: http://www.tvdvdreviews.com/muppet2.html
    Muppet Central Thread http://forum.muppetcentral.com/archive/index.php/t-13024.html (it clarifies a few points concerning the fact that the public service should be referred to as a â??Jim Hensonâ??s Memorial Serviceâ??, rather than â??Jim Hensonâ??s Funeral serviceâ??.).
    Newsgroup Thread citing Chris Barryâ??s excellent account of the service: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.tv.sesame-street/browse_thread/thread/b3d5b9a7511740c6/4aedad8db8dd6571?lnk=st&q=&rnum=5&hl=en#4aedad8db8dd6571
    rec.arts.henson+muppet Threads (the ones that managed to referred to Mike Quinn as performing a â??Geriatric Penguinâ?: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.arts.henson+muppets/browse_thread/thread/2f01ecf71fe75601/b0d55ff922443028?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1&hl=en#b0d55ff922443028 and http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.arts.henson+muppets/browse_thread/thread/e51e36e5c493077b/fec069901d2241f3?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1&hl=en#fec069901d2241f3 (The earlier link includes a list of who 15 of the 16 puppeteers doing Just One Person were)
    Muppet Wiki, section for the New York Memorial service: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Jim_Henson%27s_Memorial
    Muppet Wiki, picture of some of the puppeteers taking part in the service: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Memorialmuppets.jpg
    Muppet Wiki, picture of Jerry and Louise singing as themselves at the service http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Jerrylouisememorial.jpg

From www.findagrave.com, Jim was cremated and his ashes were scattered at his ranch outside Santa Fe, NM.

For SanDiegoDeathHag, since he died on Wednesday, May 16 and the memorial wasn't until Monday, May 21, maybe there was no casket?

Elizabeth Guest

Question Question

I recall reading when he died that he was actually separated from Jane, and living with another woman (and had been for some time).....does anyone else remember this??

Still absolutely does not take away from my appreciation (who am I kidding, the *love*) of Jim Henson and his utter genius and love of life.....

epicentre Guest
    Those Muppet Show music albums were the first real music that I remember listening to as a kid. When I was about 3 or 4 I'd visit my grandma every Thursday and all I wanted to do was listen again and again to those albums end to end. Not really relevant, but my grandma had this painting hanging in the same room and not much else, so whenever I hear those albums or see the painting I think of the other. They're like revisiting my childhood each time - priceless. If that's not a lasting tribute to the man's accomplishments I don't know what is.

Still have the vinyls to this day, battered and full of retro cackle, but still playable.

My favourite Muppets episode has to be the Star Wars one with Mark Hamill & co. My other obsession as a kid!

So it all started with a 5 minute spot on TV. Now that is making the most of an opportunity!
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Geekygirl, thanks so much for all that research! That was a great read.

Quote Originally Posted by herekittykitty View Post
    Geekygirl, thanks so much for all that research! That was a great read.
    No problem, my dear friend Herekittykitty, it was actually fun to search for and get the information. God, how did we ever survive before the internet?

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nytkrew View Post
    After watching Muppet Christmas Carol, searched for a thread and didn't see one for him.

Birth: Sep. 24, 1936Death: May 16, 1990
    Entertainer. He is best known as the creator of the "Muppets". He began his career on a Washington, DC television station on a five-minute program called "Sam and Friends." The appearance of Muppets on the show "Sesame Street" (1969) catapulted Henson to nationwide popularity. His subsequent television shows ("The Muppet Show" in 1976, and "Fraggle Rock" in 1983) and films--The Muppet Movie (1979), The Great Muppet Caper (1981), The Muppets Take Manhattan (1984)-gained international recognition. His characters include such well-known figures as Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Big Bird, the Cookie Monster, and Snuffleupagus. He co-directed motion picture "The Dark Crystal" (1981) and directed "Labyrinth" (1986), two films that did not include the use of Muppets.

Cause of death: Pneumonia

Didn't he have cancer at the time of his death? I thought I heard a story that he had cancer and refused (for one reason or another) to treat it. Maybe I have my info wrong?

kelbons Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    I miss Jim Henson and John Denver so much this time of year.....they made my favorite Christmas CD "John Denver & The Muppets".....John and Jim were very good friends, and worked together a lot.....

And I think "The Muppets Christmas Carol" is one of the best "Scrooge" movies ever made....very sweet and touching....
    I agree on both points.

I can't believe he's been gone this long!! I was at Disney World just after his death and they had been working on a Muppet project at MGM... it was so neat to see how they staged the filming, but so sad at the same time...

I don't get weepy easily, but I got all teary reading the account of his memorial service geekygirl! An amazing tribute for a guy who left a big space. For some reason, the image of all the children at the service with their stuffed Kermits and Ernies particularly got me. Thanks for sharing the information! He was a big part of my childhood and the Muppets are one of the few enthusiasms that the next generation in my family likes as much as we did.

Red face

love this

that is terrific! thanks for sharing!
    pull the string!

Death Hag Chris Guest
    I can't think of anyone who didn't like Jim Henson. he was a one in a million. VERY sad that my kid's won't be influenced by his magic the way I way as a kid. A kind soul taken way too soon.

SistaSara Guest

epicentre Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by epicentre View Post
    Those Muppet Show music albums were the first real music that I remember listening to as a kid. When I was about 3 or 4 I'd visit my grandma every Thursday and all I wanted to do was listen again and again to those albums end to end. Not really relevant, but my grandma had this painting hanging in the same room and not much else, so whenever I hear those albums or see the painting I think of the other. They're like revisiting my childhood each time - priceless. If that's not a lasting tribute to the man's accomplishments I don't know what is.

Still have the vinyls to this day, battered and full of retro cackle, but still playable.

My favourite Muppets episode has to be the Star Wars one with Mark Hamill & co. My other obsession as a kid!
    ... stumbled on those vinyls clearing through some stuff tonight and got talking with my 3 yr old son about the characters on the sleeves. He already knew Kermit but thought the others were a hoot. He asked if I had any episodes by chance I found the Star Wars one and we watched it together, laughing and dancing as it went along.

It's all gone full circle

He is the only celebrity that I actually cried over. I loved the Muppet show. What a sweet man.

JdoubleL Guest
    The first obit I ever wrote was in class about Jim Henson. The book gave us a handful of info and we had to pick and choose what to include. It was fun.

Someone where I worked had visited Jim the week before he died. Then she also got very sick. She was a high level executive. Nobody really liked her, and secretly we hoped she would also die. But, unfortunately, it was Jim who died. We always thouht it was the sight of her that did him in.

tuesdays_jupiter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Radiohead View Post
    Didn't he have cancer at the time of his death? I thought I heard a story that he had cancer and refused (for one reason or another) to treat it. Maybe I have my info wrong?
    I remember (vaguely) hearing that he had AIDS and died from complications (pneumonia)...Anyone, can you help me out on this?

leeny994 Guest
    i believe he had cancer and it was inoperable or something of that nature and then the pneumonia set in and... well... it is just such a loss. I adore the Muppet Show

I watched a documentary on PBS a few years ago about Sesame Street, and how it all started. An interesting fact that came up during the doc was that Jim Henson actually started out making "adult" puppets, that were anatomically correct. Obviously not for Sesame Street, but that was what he was doing when he was asked to start making the muppets for the show. At least the creators of the show had an open mind at the time! Some people may have not wanted him to do the puppets because of his earlier ones.

When I was little I had the eight track version of "Sesame Street Fever", which included such classics as "Doin the pigeon".

I love Jim and his muppets.

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    I liked this song Kermit did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpiIWMWWVco

miss him he was great

RIP Heath Ledger 1979-2008
    Last edited by suzycreamcheese1; 05-26-2012 at 01:41 PM.

queenofthedamned Guest
    Thought he died of complications of pneumonia...strep or septic shock

chopper Guest

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by queenofthedamned View Post
    Thought he died of complications of pneumonia...strep or septic shock
    hmmmm! I do believe that is what has been said in page 1!