Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott Smith (Loverboy)

Scott Smith (Loverboy)

Donald Scott Smith (13 February 195530 November 2000), born in Vancouver, British Columbia, was the original bassist for the Canadian rock band Loverboy, who are best known for the 1982 hit single "Working for the Weekend", although their U.S. Top Ten hits were "Lovin' Every Minute of It" in 1985 and "This Could Be the Night" in 1986.
    Scott Smith was the original bassist for the Canadian rock band Loverboy. On November 30, 2000, he was sailing with two friends about four miles off the coast of San Francisco near the Golden Gate Bridge when a freak 26-foot wave swept him overboard in heavily shark infested waters. His friends recall that the wave was so strong that it broke the ship's steering wheel. A private search was conducted lasting in excess of four hours, but he was not able to be found. Experts say that Smith could have only survived approximately two and a half hours in waters that cold. Given the population of sharks in the area it was noted that he likely would not have survived more than 10 minutes of a shark attack. Sources speculate that this was a more probable cause of death. Smith was 45 at the time of his death. The band began a tour in his memory the following year.

Man, what a way to go - as shark chum...

Shark Shit fer sure.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Cataroo Guest
    I remember being shocked when I heard about his death. he was an AMAZING bass player!

Kathyf Guest
    Horrible way to die.

cachluv Guest
    Loverboy was the jam back in the day I still have their albums and I have several CD's that I listen to. They are ipod'ed too

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataroo View Post
    I remember being shocked when I heard about his death. he was an AMAZING bass player!
    sad to bhear about his death. but to call him an AMAZING bass player is a far stretch. he was in LOVERBOY for Pete's sake.

Danny62 Guest
    Him and John Denver, Fish food! I wonder how much it would have went for if they could have sold them as fish food??

Loverboy was okay, nothing to write home about though!

Loverboy was awesome. Evertime I hear "Loving every minute of it" , I want to get my Levi jacket out, put it on and flick the collar up.

Zombiegirl Guest
    Wow, I must have slept through the news that day. I didn't know he was gone, how sad. I too had my Loverboy moments

Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    Loverboy was awesome. Evertime I hear "Loving every minute of it" , I want to get my Levi jacket out, put it on and flick the collar up.
    I heard that song on the radio today and remembered about Scott - which is why I made a thread about him.

I really liked their song "You take me to the top".

I have their greatest hits on CD - some good tunes.

RaRaRamona Guest
    My first concert was Loverboy/Dokken. I saw them in an old barn in Texarcana. I never heard about his death either.

As a long time FAD fan and first time poster, having read every thread but never taking the time to register, I wondered briefly if I should pick my favorite person to use as my all important first post; but then I decided that since shark attack is on my list of greatest fears I should just jump on in.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    would that be the stone washed one?

knothere Guest
    my friend had tickets given to her
    so loverboy and brian adams was my first concert

knothere Guest
    what a tragic death i didnt know he died

Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    would that be the stone washed one?
    Stone washed was for the glam rockers. I remember those. Grey and blue stone washed denim jackets from Guess?. HAHA. Mine was a Levi one. Plain blue that ended up with the sleeves cut off and coverd with patches and buttons from bands like, The Sub-Humans, Crass, Government Issue, Black Flag, DK, Rudametary Peni. I still have it.

knothere Guest
    my friend still has his denim jacket made into a deep purple vest
    i saw that n nearly peed my pants laffing
    i got rid of my neon, mesh, too short shorts 80's garb

stinkythejokedog Guest
    Sorry bout his death...but the WORST rock group ever...

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Stone washed was for the glam rockers. I remember those. Grey and blue stone washed denim jackets from Guess?. HAHA. Mine was a Levi one. Plain blue that ended up with the sleeves cut off and coverd with patches and buttons from bands like, The Sub-Humans, Crass, Government Issue, Black Flag, DK, Rudametary Peni. I still have it.
    NICE!!! my mom bought me a stone washed jean jacket one year for my birthday in I think '89. and I told her I refused to wear that in public. she ended up giving it to my little sister. I would have gotten my ass handed to me if I would have wore THAT. it was bad enough I was into the punk scene when it WASN'T cool to be into that. but to wear a stone washed jacket would have been a sure fire way of getting an ass beating every day.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkythejokedog View Post
    Sorry bout his death...but the WORST rock group ever...
    There are much worse...Starlight vocal band, ring a bell?

stinkythejokedog Guest

Okay....the second worse...then comes Firefall and Pablo Cruise

I like Firefall, Air Supply, Ambrosia, Gerry Rafferty, Robert John, Marty Balin, Exile, Firefall, Bread, Christopher Cross, Dr. Hook, Little River Band, Player. Don't talk smack about my AM radio heros!!

I like Firefall, Air Supply, Ambrosia, Gerry Rafferty, Robert John, Marty Balin, Exile, Firefall, Bread, Christopher Cross, Dr. Hook, Little River Band, Player. Don't talk smack about my AM radio heros!!
    All right! I like all of those too. I can also see you are a Dead Kennedys fan - based on your signature avator. That's their record company logo!

stinkythejokedog Guest
    Too bad they couldn't do some kind of reunion tour...like out on a boat in icy shark infested waters....I keed...I keed....well, maybe not

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    All right! I like all of those too. I can also see you are a Dead Kennedys fan - based on your signature avator. That's their record company logo!
    well, you KNOW Too Drunk To Fuck was written as a tribute to Afternoon Delight.

Aries I listen to everything except rap and hip hop. DK is one of my favorites though.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Aries I listen to everything except rap and hip hop. DK is one of my favorites though.
    what did you think of Brandon from Dr. Know singing with them a few years ago instead of Jello?

I would so go to that show. The Monster's of Easy listening! Ill see you in the pit!

Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    what did you think of Brandon from Dr. Know singing with them a few years ago instead of Jello?
    That was garbage. East bay Ray and Klause just wanting a paycheck.The Jello stuff with the Melvins I really like. Have you heard it?

Death Hag Chris Guest
    they playd Riot Fest here in Chicago 3 years ago, along with the new line up of The Germs. but I didn't go. and then Brandon left not long after. looking back, it would have been a cool show. I met Jello about 10 years ago, and he was a super cool guy. and he had nothing bad to say about the other DK guy's, except that he felt like shit about the whole lawsuit for royalties. such a shame that money had to destroy a once great band.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    That was garbage. East bay Ray and Klause just wanting a paycheck.The Jello stuff with the Melvins I really like. Have you heard it?
    WHOA!!! i had no idea Jello did anything with Melvins. I gotta check that out.

Hell yeah.

We have the same taste in music - since I too listen to everything but crap and shit-hop.

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    Donald Scott Smith (13 February 1955 â?? 30 November 2000), born in Vancouver, British Columbia, was the original bassist for the Canadian rock band Loverboy, who are best known for the 1982 hit single "Working for the Weekend", although their U.S. Top Ten hits were "Lovin' Every Minute of It" in 1985 and "This Could Be the Night" in 1986.
    Scott Smith was the original bassist for the Canadian rock band Loverboy. On November 30, 2000, he was sailing with two friends about four miles off the coast of San Francisco near the Golden Gate Bridge when a freak 26-foot wave swept him overboard in heavily shark infested waters. His friends recall that the wave was so strong that it broke the ship's steering wheel. A private search was conducted lasting in excess of four hours, but he was not able to be found. Experts say that Smith could have only survived approximately two and a half hours in waters that cold. Given the population of sharks in the area it was noted that he likely would not have survived more than 10 minutes of a shark attack. Sources speculate that this was a more probable cause of death. Smith was 45 at the time of his death. The band began a tour in his memory the following year.

Man, what a way to go - as shark chum...
    I didn't know he died!

lisalouver Guest
    OMG! I love these bands! I saw Ambrosia last year and I see Little River Band every year when they come to town! Good music!

Back on Loverboy...I remember when this happened. Tragic.

I always liked their music, saw them in concert once, circa 1984. They were really good. All the girls LOVED Mike Reno.

I always wondered if that was really his ass in the red leather pants on front of the albulm cover with his fingers crossed? Was that the Get Lucky cover? It was a great ass, whoever it belonged to!

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    I always wondered if that was really his ass in the red leather pants on front of the albulm cover with his fingers crossed? Was that the Get Lucky cover? It was a great ass, whoever it belonged to!
    If you've seen Mike Reno lately - you'd know he couldn't fit back into those red leather pants! Altho he still wears the headband on occaision!

I saw an autographed "Lovin' Every Minute" album on eBay - signed by both Mike and Scott - just in case anyone was interested.

lisalouver Guest
    If you've seen Mike Reno lately - you'd know he couldn't fit back into those red leather pants! Altho he still wears the headband on occaision!

I saw an autographed "Lovin' Every Minute" album on eBay - signed by both Mike and Scott - just in case anyone was interested.
    LMAO, I have not seen him lately, he must have put on a pound or two?

Get Lucky!!!

OMG!! I am digging through cassettes as we speak! Gotta jam "Gangs in the Street" & "When It's Over" - as cheesey as it may seem, Loverboy was the shit back in the day and Mike Reno had an awesome 80's era voice. He has put on a few, but dang that was over 20 years ago - he's supposed to! =) I'd still lick his eyeballs if I saw him!
    My Posse's On Broadway

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post
    OMG!! I am digging through cassettes as we speak! Gotta jam "Gangs in the Street" & "When It's Over" - as cheesey as it may seem, Loverboy was the shit back in the day and Mike Reno had an awesome 80's era voice. He has put on a few, but dang that was over 20 years ago - he's supposed to! =) I'd still lick his eyeballs if I saw him!
    LOL!

"Every time he's out with you, he tries to tell you what to do....you don't need it that way..."

I remember when he did the duet with Ann Wilson on Almost Paradise for the movie Footloose. Great song.

I'm with you though, just to grab that ass, even if it is bigger and most likely saggy now!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loverboy.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	2754

"Hot Girls In Love"!!!
    My Posse's On Broadway

Forever-27 Guest
    Well except for Workin for the Weekend which was catchy, I never really got into Loverboy much. I saw them back when they were hot. Back in the day when Forigner , Pat Benatar , and brian adams ruled the radio air waves. I still listen to pat Benatar from time to time but as for Loverboy .... well I havent liked anything they did enough to buy an album by them. They come here every year to play the fair circuit. I almost wished I had seem them now sort of in more recent times. Last time was with Grand Funk Railroad but I was buying cigarettes and food when Loverboy was on stage

lisalouver Guest
    I have not seen them in years, but I did see them twice in the 80's and they were hot, hot, HOT!

I loved them then and I would see them again in a heasrtbeat if they came to town.

lisalouver Guest
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loverboy.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	2754

"Hot Girls In Love"!!!

Great pic! Thank you!

crimson and clover Guest
    Wow...........swept off a boat and eaten by sharks........you sure he was not the drummer for Spinal Tap?

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    One of my very first live shows was to see Loverboy.

sheri Guest
    Air Supply? Did you say you like Air Supply? *rubs her eyes to make sure shes reading right* OMFG!!! And i got shit for making my Air Supply related thread on here...now i don't feel so alone....

Now where were we...oh yeah...sucked the Scott died like that...

dailyvault Guest
    Three words, Jefe... Bay City Rollers

Or how about The New Seekers?

(ducks behind monitor to avoid records, beer bottles being thrown at head)

RaRaRamona Guest
    OMG!! I am digging through cassettes as we speak! Gotta jam "Gangs in the Street" & "When It's Over" -
    Oooooh now I need to go to Amazon.

::tries to block out eyeball licking comment::

I think the best album to have by Loverboy is their "Classics" Album. It's their "best of" and has all the good ones on it.

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Great pic! Thank you!
    Not a problem! I'm at work - I am supposed to surf the web for current 80's bands pic right? Actually after seeing that, I might close my eyes before I start the "eyeball licking" !
    My Posse's On Broadway

lisalouver Guest
    Not a problem! I'm at work - I am supposed to surf the web for current 80's bands pic right? Actually after seeing that, I might close my eyes before I start the "eyeball licking" !
    LMAO, yea, I dunno...Mike has not held up well....but I'm sure his voice is the same. We could close our eyes while he sings Hot girls in love and pretend, right?