Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 2396

Thread: Former President Barack Obama

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wolfsschanze
    Posts
    7,886
    Of course he is going to have more flexibility after the election. Congress has a 11% approval rating. He will have more leverage.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    Posts
    18,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulination View Post
    Bush supported the OVERALL program. Hell, I support it as well. The problem is not the program but the Obama administrations approval of the Solyndra loan in the face of overwhelming evidence and predictions by his own administration that it would fail, costing the taxpayers 535 Million dollars. He leveraged the risk for political gain and failed. He can't run from that and trying to redirect the issue back on to Bush won't help either.
    I agree with most of what you are saying in respect to the Solyndra loan. My only point of difference is where you state "evidence and predictions by his own administration that it would fail." From what I read they pretty much didn't do any due diligence at all.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,085
    "Obama seemed to question the court’s very right to review laws, ordered the Justice Department to submit a three-page explanation of what role the administration believes the courts
    have."

    Really?? Thats what they are freakin there for. They are the ultimate interpreters of the constitution and the constitutionality of law in this country and their very sole purpose, their absolute purpose is to make sure there is not an abuse of power or a miscarriage of legislative power given a misguided majority whether we are speaking about republicans or democrats. I dug up my notes from school on this, dated the ninth grade.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...EwS_story.html

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wolfsschanze
    Posts
    7,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulination View Post
    "Obama seemed to question the court’s very right to review laws, ordered the Justice Department to submit a three-page explanation of what role the administration believes the courts
    have."

    Really?? Thats what they are freakin there for. They are the ultimate interpreters of the constitution and the constitutionality of law in this country and their very sole purpose, their absolute purpose is to make sure there is not an abuse of power or a miscarriage of legislative power given a misguided majority whether we are speaking about republicans or democrats. I dug up my notes from school on this, dated the ninth grade.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...EwS_story.html
    Abuse of Power? Like the Kochs having Alito and Thomas in their pocket?

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/20/us...pagewanted=all

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_769843.html

    Is this any different than when a conservative harps about "activist judges"?

    Newt "activist judges should be arrested.

    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...d-be-arrested/

    Rep. Denny Rehberg (R-Mont.)

    When I first heard of this decision, like many of you I wanted to take immediate action," Rehberg said, according to the Helena Independent Record. "I asked: How can we put some of these judicial activists on the endangered species list?"


    Last edited by JefeStone; 04-05-2012 at 02:56 PM.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wolfsschanze
    Posts
    7,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulination View Post
    Bush supported the OVERALL program. Hell, I support it as well. The problem is not the program but the Obama administrations approval of the Solyndra loan in the face of overwhelming evidence and predictions by his own administration that it would fail, costing the taxpayers 535 Million dollars. He leveraged the risk for political gain and failed. He can't run from that and trying to redirect the issue back on to Bush won't help either.


    Speaking of politcal gain, how about this recent nugget.

    "On all these issues, but particularly missile defense, this can be solved," Obama said. "But it's important for him to give me space.

    "This is my last election. After my election I have more flexibility."

    "I understand," Medvedev responded. "I will transmit this information to Vladimir."



    This is the bartering of national security based on a timeline that is preferable to his election asperations. Same thing with Solyndra, the timing was everything.

    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,1479756.story
    Bullshit.

    ; Bush’s political appointees tried to rush the loan out the door before they left office in January 2009—which was perfectly appropriate—but a “credit committee” of career civil servants said more analysis was needed. The same committee unanimously approved the loan two months later.

    Read more: http://swampland.time.com/2011/09/19...#ixzz1r9dWqsh8

  6. #106
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Petaluma Ca
    Posts
    4,847
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    Bullshit.

    ; Bush’s political appointees tried to rush the loan out the door before they left office in January 2009—which was perfectly appropriate—but a “credit committee” of career civil servants said more analysis was needed. The same committee unanimously approved the loan two months later.

    Read more: http://swampland.time.com/2011/09/19...#ixzz1r9dWqsh8
    Thanks Jefe

    I recall you posted this earlier and it was completely ignored.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Petaluma Ca
    Posts
    4,847
    See what I mean?

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,085
    Quote Originally Posted by shipmatekate View Post
    See what I mean?
    I don't see what you mean, you haven't said anything. Jefe, we can probably have dueling posts on this all day long......

    http://nation.foxnews.com/solyndra/2...-solyndra-loan

    but all of the scrutiny and e-mails saying don't do it came on Obama's watch. "Swampland" really???

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    Posts
    18,395
    I heard on the BBC World Service today that Obama is 18 points ahead or Romney in respect to the female vote.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    I heard on the BBC World Service today that Obama is 18 points ahead or Romney in respect to the female vote.
    I hadnt heard that statistic, but this mentions that Romney is going to start going after the female vote now that he is "unofficially" the nominee

    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...-women-voters/

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    4,737
    Ummmmm, good luck with THAT Mittens.


    Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bulldog Town
    Posts
    36,275
    The Secret Service involved with prostitution--naaaw! say it ain't so. It is. http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world...t-1416642.html

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wolfsschanze
    Posts
    7,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulination View Post
    I don't see what you mean, you haven't said anything. Jefe, we can probably have dueling posts on this all day long......

    http://nation.foxnews.com/solyndra/2...-solyndra-loan

    but all of the scrutiny and e-mails saying don't do it came on Obama's watch. "Swampland" really???
    That is TIME MAGAZINE's blog

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,085
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    That is TIME MAGAZINE's blog
    I could tell that by the extension on the link but that doesn't change the fact that I find it humorous.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,023
    President Barack Obama's appearance on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon this week was undeniably funny. But was it presidential?
    Last night, Jon Stewart made crystal clear just where he fell on the issue.
    Beginning with the following critique: "What the…?"
    Stewart's problem wasn't that the commander-in-chief paid a visit to the late (late) night show as a guest, but rather that he joined in on one of Fallon's signature scored comedy bits.
    "The president's slow-jamming the news on late-night?" he rhetorically asked on The Daily Show Wednesday night.
    "Oh wait a minute, normally Brian Williams slow jams the news…Obama's running to replace Brian Williams. And Brian Williams wants my job…This has to end!" he said. Somebody's got to be an adult around here. Mr. President, you're the president, you don't have to do this s--t anymore."

    Read more: http://www.eonline.com/news/jon_stew...#ixzz1tAjGGTRpThis link has the video http://www.eonline.com/news/jon_stew...low-jam/311768
    Last edited by coconn04; 04-26-2012 at 11:23 AM.
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

    Edna St. Vincent Millay

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    SE Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    8,804
    You know what? (and this is just my opinion of course, which along with a toonie, will get you a small cup of coffee), Obama needs to be commended for his marketing savvy. Because all evidence seems to point to the voter base caring more about what the president's wife wears, what the president eats on vacation and what the president's opinion on the Masters golf tournament is, rather than the president's actual ability to lead the nation. So it makes sense to do late night tv. That'll win him the election for sure.

    It's really a sad, sad commentary about the intelligence and political involvement of the nation as a whole.
    You can't "nu uh" death. That's bad debating.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Petaluma Ca
    Posts
    4,847
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    You know what? (and this is just my opinion of course, which along with a toonie, will get you a small cup of coffee), Obama needs to be commended for his marketing savvy. Because all evidence seems to point to the voter base caring more about what the president's wife wears, what the president eats on vacation and what the president's opinion on the Masters golf tournament is, rather than the president's actual ability to lead the nation. So it makes sense to do late night tv. That'll win him the election for sure.

    It's really a sad, sad commentary about the intelligence and political involvement of the nation as a whole.

    And what is sad (my opinon of course) are the people who continually flog the same dead horse(s)
    around these issues. Never say anything worthwhile or informative, just tabloid trash talk.
    And in my opinion only, certain people here just want to stir up trouble.

    And the same people are horribly offended when one of their "heroes" gets shown in their true light.

    Pathetic

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,023
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    You know what? (and this is just my opinion of course, which along with a toonie, will get you a small cup of coffee), Obama needs to be commended for his marketing savvy. Because all evidence seems to point to the voter base caring more about what the president's wife wears, what the president eats on vacation and what the president's opinion on the Masters golf tournament is, rather than the president's actual ability to lead the nation. So it makes sense to do late night tv. That'll win him the election for sure.

    It's really a sad, sad commentary about the intelligence and political involvement of the nation as a whole.
    The point that I agree with Stewart is not that Obama was on a talk show is was that Obama was doing a comedy bit. It is kind of like fiddling while Rome is burning. The only thing Obama ever did well was campaigning so he never stopped doing it. If he does win a second term I don't see the need for him to do all this but he will.
    Last edited by coconn04; 04-26-2012 at 12:28 PM.
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

    Edna St. Vincent Millay

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    469
    The whole student loan mess is what is rather serious just as of this week or so.

    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...38be9d31574b66

    Snip

    House Speaker John Boehner said Thursday that President Barack Obama was acting "beneath the dignity of the White House" when he traveled around the country this week to pressure Republicans to help keep federal student loan costs from ballooning. Boehner said Obama should reimburse taxpayers for the trips' costs.

    The Ohio Republican spoke a day after Obama wrapped up visits to three college campuses in North Carolina, Colorado and Iowa. At each stop, he gave campaign-like speeches lambasting the GOP and talking up election-year efforts by Democrats to keep subsidized Stafford loan interest rates from doubling in July, an increase that would affect 7.4 million students.

    "For the president to make a campaign issue and then to travel to three battleground states and go to three large college campuses on taxpayers' money to try to make this some political issue is pathetic," Boehner told reporters. "And his campaign ought to be reimbursing the Treasury for the cost of this trip."

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    SE Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    8,804
    Quote Originally Posted by coconn04 View Post
    The point that I agree with Stewart is not that Obama was on a talk show is was that Obama was doing a comedy bit. It is kind of like fiddling while Rome is burning. The only thing Obama ever did well was campaigning so he never stopped doing it. If he does win a second term I don't see the need for him to do all this but he will.
    You're very right. Unfortunately very few people see that. He's doing what he has to do to win himself the election. It reflects badly on Obama, and it reflects badly on the populace, which was the point I was making.


    Quote Originally Posted by philbert_wormly View Post
    The whole student loan mess is what is rather serious just as of this week or so.

    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...38be9d31574b66

    Snip

    The student loan thing is getting very bad very fast. It's going to be a repeat of the home loan fiasco. It's laughable though that Boehner's upset about it. Incumbents often end up passing on the majority of the bill for second term campaigning to the tax payer.
    You can't "nu uh" death. That's bad debating.

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,023
    Its is kind of interesting because Senator Dick Lugar just lost his primary election
    Nation!

    What the hell happened last night? North Carolina and Indiana voters, apparently so desperate to avoid a Mitt Romney–dominated news cycle this week, cast ballots in favor of the most peculiar things. North Carolina voted, by a margin of 20 percentage points, to ban gay marriage.http://www.vanityfair.com/online/dai...ll-Not-Out-Out

    Now with a good chance of the Republicans taking over the Senate Obama decides her is changing is mind on gay marriage. He couldn't do this when he had a Democratic Senate and Congress. I think he is playing with people because he need some people's vote to get re-elected.
    http://www.vanityfair.com/online/dai...s-gay-marriage


    Huzzah: President Obama, taking a cue from his right-hand man, has officially, unequivocally endorsed same-sex marriage. In a surprise, last-minute interview with ABC’s Robin Roberts earlier this afternoon at the White House, the president, who’s waffled on the issue since the dawn of time, said
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

    Edna St. Vincent Millay

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    SE Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    8,804
    We may actually be in agreement. I think he's purely pandering for votes. Saying "I'm for it, but it's a state issue" is ass covering 101.
    You can't "nu uh" death. That's bad debating.

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,085

    Obama loses 40% of vote to West Virginia inmate

    Talk about the "anyone but Obama" vote. Geez.

    http://www.businessweek.com/articles...e-to-an-inmate

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,584
    Not surprising considering his stance on the coal industry!


    "So if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can. It's just that it will bankrupt them because they’re going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that's being emitted."CNN: [SIZE=2](November 2, 2008)[/SIZE]

    “Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.”

    Winston CXhruchill

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,110
    shocked. Shocked i am...that west virginia, a state with 95% white population, 3.5% black, and whose largest employer in the state is wal-mart (literally), followed closely by the west virginia healthcare system... Whose educated population consists of 18% who never finished high school, 42% who only finished high school, 25% percent finishing some college, and the remaining 15% who finished college...yes, i am completely shocked. Not that the west virginians voted for a convicted felon locked away in the state of texas who isn't even a resident of west virginia, but that they were able to actually able to find the place on the ballot to place the "x" mark.


    lol.
    http://www.findadeath.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16814&dateline=1337859949
    "Death has come to your little town, Sheriff."

  26. #126
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,023
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    We may actually be in agreement. I think he's purely pandering for votes. Saying "I'm for it, but it's a state issue" is ass covering 101.
    I can't believe the way people are reacting to this over the Internet. This is an empty endorsement. Obama has no plan to to get this into legislation. I can't imagine this kind of pandering will work.
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

    Edna St. Vincent Millay

  27. #127
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bone Orchard, Mass.
    Posts
    1,273
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    lol.[/font][/color][/left]
    West Virginia is this way because it has been dominated by the Democrat party since its entry into the Union.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

  28. #128
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    SE Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    8,804
    Quote Originally Posted by coconn04 View Post
    I can't believe the way people are reacting to this over the Internet.

    I agree. First, I can't believe that people don't see right through it, and secondly, there is so much other more important shit that needs to be done.

    I don't mean to sound condescending. I'm not gay. I can't imagine not having the right to marry. But if I was facing never being able to retire, watching everyone around me lose their house, if my children were so poorly educated that they thought Titanic was only a movie..... Then I think I'd be content knowing my union was blessed by a higher power if not on paper.
    You can't "nu uh" death. That's bad debating.

  29. #129
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,141
    I think we need to stop here and remember that while we have been having a hell of a time of it the past few years this is still a great country.

    What? We aren't allowed to ever have serious problems? That is reserved only for other countries? Never us?

    Problems and all, we will, at some point, come up and out of this.

  30. #130
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    22,468
    I was flipping through the channels just now and hey, he's on The View discussing gay marriage. And regardless of how the spin doctors will have a go at that, I'm glad the importance of gay marriage rights is being discussed. For example:

    Two of my best friends are a gay couple who've been together for 25+ years. I see no reason why they shouldn't be able to make it 'official' if they choose and get the benefits of traditional marriage when they do - regardless of how gay marriage as a reality comes about or whoever brings the issue to the forefront so that mainstream America can stop treating it like something to be afraid of.
    Last edited by SomeChick; 05-15-2012 at 10:18 AM.

  31. #131
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,023
    The polls on gay marriage go from around 30% approve and 50% disapprove. Most people say the most important issue is the economy.
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

    Edna St. Vincent Millay

  32. #132
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,932
    I'm gay, and the most important issue should definitely be on our Economy, getting our boys and girls home, making great American products to be proud of again.

  33. #133
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    22,468
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post
    I'm gay, and the most important issue should definitely be on our Economy, getting our boys and girls home, making great American products to be proud of again.
    I think all of those are important too. I'm just glad that gay marriage is being discussed more and in a positive light instead of the boogeyman it was treated as not all that long ago.

  34. #134
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    SE Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    8,804
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post
    I'm gay, and the most important issue should definitely be on our Economy, getting our boys and girls home, making great American products to be proud of again.
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    I think all of those are important too. I'm just glad that gay marriage is being discussed more and in a positive light instead of the boogeyman it was treated as not all that long ago.
    Both excellent points.

    I don't knock anyone who is passionate about that cause, or any other for that matter. Every battle needs warriors. I just don't like when a hot button social issue is used to deflect blame or win an election.
    You can't "nu uh" death. That's bad debating.

  35. #135
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    22,468
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    Both excellent points.

    I don't knock anyone who is passionate about that cause, or any other for that matter. Every battle needs warriors. I just don't like when a hot button social issue is used to deflect blame or win an election.
    I can see why you wouldn't. But if I look past that when it comes to my own views on things like that, I feel it is beneficial that it's being brought to the forefront at all. And so whether Barack is using it that way or if he is sincere, either works for me because either gets people talking about the issue in a mostly positive and productive way. This is how strongly I believe that my friends and other gay people deserve to decide for themselves whether they wish to be married or not. Just as we straight folks can.

  36. #136
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    SE Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    8,804
    Agreed. Anything that instigates healthy discussion is a great thing indeed.
    You can't "nu uh" death. That's bad debating.

  37. #137
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Near the shores of Lake Huron, Michigan
    Posts
    498
    I know a lot of people have complained that the U.S. has more pressing issues than gay marriage, but I want to chime in my opinion that we can't be distracted from the evolution of civil rights. Think back to the 1960s - In 1965 the first combat troops arrive in Vietnam, Marines land in the Dominican Republic; still Johnson addresses a joint session of Congress with what is known as the Voting Rights Act Address. This is on the heels of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
    It begins -"I speak tonight for the dignity of man and the destiny of democracy...."

    Back then, many Americans were appalled that Johnson would spend so much effort on ensuring voter rights for Negro (sic) citizens.
    Archer Fact: You can’t tourniquet the taint. (Source: Ray Gillette)

  38. #138
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,023
    Obama is no Lyndon Johson. The black community is not for gay marriage on the whole and they don't like the civil rights comparison. The black community voted in wide numbers to keep the traditional marriage during the Prop 8 arguments. Even now when Obama said he changed his mind. The black community are still against gay marriage.
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

    Edna St. Vincent Millay

  39. #139
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,110
    ^^ So remember kids, minorities can be bigots, too!
    http://www.findadeath.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16814&dateline=1337859949
    "Death has come to your little town, Sheriff."

  40. #140
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    SE Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    8,804
    I have to apologize because I keep forgetting that it's more than a piece of paper in the states. You're actually refused rights like decision making and health benefits etc. It's easy to jump to the conclusion that "you can't compare having the right to VOTE to getting married" but when you think about what it actually means in the US, the lack of rights thing is a very apt comparison. It just wasn't as polarizing or as limiting an issue here (and in no way am I downplaying what Canadian gays went through, but in comparison they were very lucky), and so I have to remind myself how bound the hands of the gays in the US are.


    It isn't surprising that there are black voters take insult to the comparison; Homophobes come in many colors, and even those that harbor no particular ill will to the theory of homosexuality still sometimes wrong headedly see it as a "choice" and thus it's unreasonable to them to have oppression brought on by the color of their skin compared to "choosing" to be gay.

    Of course this isn't logic I agree with, but it's an attitude I've come across a few times, and it doesn't surprise me that it's widespread.

    ETA: I was in the middle of this big long rant when Beep summed it up in like 5 words. Rant stands though.
    Last edited by radiojane; 05-15-2012 at 03:38 PM.
    You can't "nu uh" death. That's bad debating.

  41. #141
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Near the shores of Lake Huron, Michigan
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by coconn04 View Post
    Obama is no Lyndon Johson. The black community is not for gay marriage on the whole and they don't like the civil rights comparison. The black community voted in wide numbers to keep the traditional marriage during the Prop 8 arguments. Even now when Obama said he changed his mind. The black community are still against gay marriage.
    I don't speak for the entire "black community" as others might, and that really wasn't the point. The point of my post was to counter the idea that this country has too many problems for the President to be concerned with gay marriage. I believe same sex marriage is a civil rights issue and, as history shows, the President can take a leadership position to allow civil rights to evolve...even during stressful times.
    Archer Fact: You can’t tourniquet the taint. (Source: Ray Gillette)

  42. #142
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    22,468
    All of these are important issues and I'm glad we're all able to discuss them like adults, calmly and with real interest in other members' opinions as opposed to posting merely to push anyone's own agenda or just to annoy other members who've exhibited opposite viewpoints to one's own.

    And remember. No one has to explain their opinion if they don't feel like it, if another member misinterprets it either purposely or through sheer misinterpretation in how they process another's opinion, etc. In other words, if you say something and someone quotes it and turns it into something you did not mean at all, there is no need to clarify yourself. It's apparent to all thread participants what was said by whom and everyone here generally understands others' intent, even if we don't post comstant comment on all aspects of the conversation.

    So my advice when that happens? Let it go. Misinterpretation by another is no reflection on any member's original post. It rests solely on the person who made the misinterpretation and should be viewed as nothing more than that. Not responded to to clarify one's opinion, not to get in some big shitpile of an argument or an infintessimally nitpicky one (can you folks tell I could do that shit all day but choose not to as it's a waste of time?). Just pass these posts by. You'll (as in, the collective 'you') be happier in any forum discussion anywhere if you do that. <--- Saying this while wearing my 'ask me, I know after almost 20 years as a member of various forums' button.

    I love this stupid forum. I really do. It's one of the best I've ever been a member of or modded at. And I want it to stay that way. Everyone participating and treating the other person as they wish to be treated is ideal. So thank you to those of you who also want these conversations here to stay that way.
    Last edited by SomeChick; 05-15-2012 at 06:18 PM.

  43. #143
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    Posts
    18,395
    Quote Originally Posted by coconn04 View Post
    Obama is no Lyndon Johson. The black community is not for gay marriage on the whole and they don't like the civil rights comparison. The black community voted in wide numbers to keep the traditional marriage during the Prop 8 arguments. Even now when Obama said he changed his mind. The black community are still against gay marriage.
    I gather you are African-American? Got anything to back up your 'facts'? Links perhaps?
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

  44. #144
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Holy Land (Texas)
    Posts
    5,096
    I didn't know where else to post this, aside from B.O. signing the NDAA last December, but a NY federal judge has ruled against the federal government's indefinite detention of U.S. citizens, which was written into the National Defense Authorization Act by Congress then signed by Obama. The judge ruled that language in the Act was too vague re who could be arrested or detained:
    http://news.yahoo.com/federal-judge-...233222966.html
    The Strange Case Of The Missing Corpse
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-GmH8eFJFU

    Mrs. Peel (commenting on Steed's sword): "That looks a bit droopy." Steed: "Wait until it's challenged."

  45. #145
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    22,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    I didn't know where else to post this, aside from B.O. signing the NDAA last December, but a NY federal judge has ruled against the federal government's indefinite detention of U.S. citizens, which was written into the National Defense Authorization Act by Congress then signed by Obama. The judge ruled that language in the Act was too vague re who could be arrested or detained:
    http://news.yahoo.com/federal-judge-...233222966.html
    I'm glad that was done even though some people out there will probably find a way to spin it into we're being too lax. I've never liked the fact that the government could just yank people out of their lives and put them in that situation. Because mistakes do happen. Then the person would have a helluva time proving they're not a terrorist.

    And "terrorist" is a pretty broad term. It could be invoked for the wrong reason and used against someone who is a vocal political activist, has non-mainstream religious beliefs and a host of other things that so-and-so may not like or be afraid of and so spin their beliefs or things associated with them into being terrorism. Sounds far-fetched but it happens. Like people put to death and they find out later they had the wrong person.

    The government really needs to do it's homework before snatching people up and ruining their lives.

    I'm glad we have the right to criticize our government in this country, regardless of who the POTUS is when we do it. Because all of that I said there could be seen as a reason to put me to death in other countries. And regardless of how we are all treated sometimes due to the actions of the people who carried out 9/11 or dumbass shoe bombers, et al, I'm glad I still have the right to say it without being snatched up Brazil (the movie) style. I feel that we in the US really do live in the best country in the world like that.

  46. #146
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    SE Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    8,804
    You have no idea how close you came. The power of those anti terrorism laws was way too broad. 9/11 was a tragedy and it needed to be dealt with, but it sent common sense right out the window in way too many cases. Hopefully now cooler heads will prevail and citizens can be protected without having their rights violated.
    You can't "nu uh" death. That's bad debating.

  47. #147
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bone Orchard, Mass.
    Posts
    1,273
    President Obama has always been for gay marriage but was a political phony to be honest about it lest it costs him a vote. All the Obama zombies are now heaping praise on him for his "Evolution". What they are failing to mention is that Obama still insists gay marriage is a "states rights" issue. What a fucking worm "Barack" is. States Rights was the justification of Jim Crow laws in the early to mid 20th century. Obama is done. Millions of people voted for him in 2008 just so they could have the opportunity to vote for a black person. They also had a good point that he couldn't be worse than President Bush. Well President Obama is worse than Bush by miles and those well intentioned whites won't vote for him again who voted to make themselves feel hip by voting for a so called "black" man.

    What makes President Obama even more wormy is that he portrays himself as a black man when he is just as much white. He is reinforcing the racist tenet that any amount of black in your genealogy makes you black. He ran as black to get more votes. He lacked the intellectual honesty to run as a United States citizen, the wretch had to make his race the cornerstone of his identity. He is not descended from American slaves but yet he wants to ride in on that hubris. When he is defeated in November I will bake a cake but I will throw it up when I realize another big government turd, Romney, is president.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

  48. #148
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    22,468
    Marriage IS largely governed by state laws. But I think we also need something like this to ensure gay marriage rights first. That way states can't keep playing three-card monty with gay marriage the way they are now:

    http://marriagelaw.cua.edu/law/states/fed/fed.cfm
    .

    Life goes on.

  49. #149
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    Posts
    18,395
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    I'm glad that was done even though some people out there will probably find a way to spin it into we're being too lax. I've never liked the fact that the government could just yank people out of their lives and put them in that situation. Because mistakes do happen. Then the person would have a helluva time proving they're not a terrorist.

    And "terrorist" is a pretty broad term. It could be invoked for the wrong reason and used against someone who is a vocal political activist, has non-mainstream religious beliefs and a host of other things that so-and-so may not like or be afraid of and so spin their beliefs or things associated with them into being terrorism. Sounds far-fetched but it happens. Like people put to death and they find out later they had the wrong person.

    The government really needs to do it's homework before snatching people up and ruining their lives.

    I'm glad we have the right to criticize our government in this country, regardless of who the POTUS is when we do it. Because all of that I said there could be seen as a reason to put me to death in other countries. And regardless of how we are all treated sometimes due to the actions of the people who carried out 9/11 or dumbass shoe bombers, et al, I'm glad I still have the right to say it without being snatched up Brazil (the movie) style. I feel that we in the US really do live in the best country in the world like that.
    One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

  50. #150
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Holy Land (Texas)
    Posts
    5,096
    Today the House voted to defy a federal judge's ruling that indefinite detention of U.S. citizens by federal authorities is unconstitutional:
    http://rt.com/usa/news/detention-ame...-ndaa-rep-599/
    The Strange Case Of The Missing Corpse
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-GmH8eFJFU

    Mrs. Peel (commenting on Steed's sword): "That looks a bit droopy." Steed: "Wait until it's challenged."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •