Page 1 of 48 12310 ... LastLast

Thread: Former President Barack Obama

Former President Barack Obama

The old thread was over 5,000 posts. As many of you know, threads of that size bog down the server when they're opened because every post is queued up in the background at the time.

And because there appears to be some confusion about what is and is not against the rules here, here's a reminder:

It's not against the rules to make disparaging remarks about politicians, political parties or political organizations here.

It is against the rules to make disparaging remarks about other members.

Examples:

Not against the forum rules:

I think the Republicans/Democrats (etc.) are nuts for rallying behind Newt/Obama.

Warning, infraction and possibly time-out worthy (depending on your history of breaking forum rule 4):

You/your beliefs are ignorant!

Everyone here has the right to believe what they want. But no one has the right to be hostile toward another member because of their beliefs, just like no one here has the right to be hostile toward anyone else here just in general. Doing so is a violation of forum rule four.

Now what should you do if someone breaks that rule? Well, you have a few options (most of these are covered in the FAQ which can be viewed by hitting the FAQ link at the top of any page):

1. Report the post by hitting the triangle with the exclamation point located in the post. All mods and admin will be notified of the reported post and we'll take action as our real lives allow.
    Once you do that or if you'd just rather move on entirely...

2. Ignore the hostile post. That's right. You always have the option to not acknowledge another member's hostile post or engage that member at all. And how do you do that? Scroll past the post or...

3. Put the member making hostile posts on ignore. All you have to do to accomplish that is hit the Settings link at the top of any page and then choose Edit Ignore List in the column on the left side of the page. Enter the member name in the box that calls for it and hit the OK button.

What should you not do, regardless of who the hostile post is directed toward/which side of any political fence you're on? Quote the offending post for any reason. Not to argue with it, not to shoot back, not to agree with it, not to back it up, not to laugh with or at it. Not at all. Why? Because no matter your intention for quoting a hostile or rule-breaking post, doing so perpetuates the arguement and often creates needless grudges here.

Here's a tip I'd just like to offer in general:

There is a difference between forum rule 7 (the rule on how to properly post copyrighted material here) and posting links here for other reasons.

If anyone acts as if you have to post links to support your opinion, guess what? You don't have to. It's your opinion, regardless of what you've seen, heard, read, etc., that helped you form that opinion. Anyone posting here also has access to the internet and it's plethora of search engines and can look for themselves. No one here is obligated to 'fetch' any information for anyone else. And not providing links to support your opinion does not make it any less valid. Period.

And please remember that at the end of the day, we are all just ordinary people who are members of an internet forum. There are no superheros, supersleuths or supervillains here. Just people who choose to spend some of our time talking about subjects that interest us on a forum created for fun, conversation and sharing our interests as well as supporting Scott's business, findadeath.com.

Comments or questions? Check out that FAQ link I mentioned. Need further help with anything provided there? PM any moderator or Nick.

Thanks.

I suspect there will be another 5000 lol.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

TheMysterian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    I suspect there will be another 5000 lol.
    I suspect your right!

Bidmor Guest
    Blame it on inflation.

BTW, Mysterian, I love your signature.

Obama Fundraisers

A list came out today of his largest "Bundlers" and the list reads as you might expect. One guy that stands out is Steve Spinner, a former Energy Dept adviser who continually pushed for the Solyndra loan because " I have the OVP [Office of the Vice President] and WH [White House] breathing down my neck on this."

http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...ig-fundraisers

6. 02-03-2012, 03:08 PM

Bidmor Guest

Oh this is a corker!

B.O. says that Jesus would support higher taxes on "the wealthy". Sickening.
    http://www.wtam.com/cc-common/news/s...rticle=9702720

But I guess he can get away with saying more crap like this now that his admin has done more creative math in order to lower the unemployment rate again as of today. Folks we're getting setup for B.O.'s re-election (in addition to running against Rockefeller Republican Romney), then afterward...Katy bar the door...we ain't seen nothin' yet!

This just seems wrong to me. I heard a sound bite on a right wing radio talk show that played a sound bite that had Obama promoting "African Americans for Obama" and I thought it must be some kind of smear. Lo and behold, he has a portal on his website that singles out African Americans. The constituency that elected him went above and beyond his own race so why would he create a portal just for them? What if Romney had a portal that said "White People for Romney"? Would that be OK?

http://www.barackobama.com/african-americans/

The Dow reached a 4 year high today and the Nasdaq reached a 11 year high after the U.S labor depts job report. You guys should send them the link to your right wing blogs and tell them they are making a mistake. I'm sure they have better qualified economic forecasters than Wall st. does.
    Last edited by JefeStone; 02-03-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulination View Post
    This just seems wrong to me. I heard a sound bite on a right wing radio talk show that played a sound bite that had Obama promoting "African Americans for Obama" and I thought it must be some kind of smear. Lo and behold, he has a portal on his website that singles out African Americans. The constituency that elected him went above and beyond his own race so why would he create a portal just for them? What if Romney had a portal that said "White People for Romney"? Would that be OK?

http://www.barackobama.com/african-americans/
    Because they are generally worse off than the rest of you. They dominate the stats, especially the bad stats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Because they are generally worse off than the rest of you. They dominate the stats, especially the bad stats.
    Why are they generally worse off? It can't be a racism thing given the POTUS?

Why are they generally worse off? It can't be a racism thing given the POTUS?
    You mean you are really totally unaware of the inequalities in your own society? That is pretty sad Pauli.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

He has portals for many groups not just african americans. Theres not one for the average white joe though. Gingrich has portals for various groups as well, such as one for conservative religious people (and curiously enough one for naturalized immigrants). Guess they are appealing to their constituency. Makes sense to me. I guess it could be considered exclusionary. I dont think its an issue though.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

You mean you are really totally unaware of the inequalities in your own society? That is pretty sad Pauli.
    So a black man or women is not capable of the same accomplishments as a white person? I believe that they are and that makes me the sad one? So be it.

So a black man or women is not capable of the same accomplishments as a white person? I believe that they are and that makes me the sad one? So be it.
    It's not about their potential accomplishments, it's about their available resources. In America, a high number of black children (since a high number of blacks are in the lower class) do not have access to the same resources as the (generally) richer white children. They start with a handicap in that sense.

And as Ich said, Obama "singles out" many groups, either by race, age bracket, and/or sex. He did the same thing in 2008. There were stickers/buttons/areas/etc on his site for "Mamas for Obama", "African Americans for Obama," "Pacific Islanders for Obama," "Students for Obama," etc. I don't necessarily agree with doing it like that, but it's not in any way a new development for him.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    B.O. says that Jesus would support higher taxes on "the wealthy". Sickening.
    http://www.wtam.com/cc-common/news/s...rticle=9702720

But I guess he can get away with saying more crap like this now that his admin has done more creative math in order to lower the unemployment rate again as of today. Folks we're getting setup for B.O.'s re-election (in addition to running against Rockefeller Republican Romney), then afterward...Katy bar the door...we ain't seen nothin' yet!
    Why is this sickening?

The big JC was very much into redistribution of wealth.
    Remember the bit about how it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God?

As far as Obama's re-election prospects go - from your mouth to God's ear. I've been waiting for almost four years for him to finally unleash his inner liberal.

Its really sad that there are Americans that seem mad that the economy has signs of improving. What the hell is wrong with them?

Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    Its really sad that there are Americans that seem mad that the economy has signs of improving. What the hell is wrong with them?
    WTF??? What a negative state of mind. Wow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

19. 02-04-2012, 02:12 AM

I have no idea. I could understand trying to rationalize the improvement (it's temporary, etc), but I can't understand why some people are like that. On the flip side, I know some people who were almost happy when more and more bad news was coming out about Iraq. It justified and reinforced their hatred of Bush or something. People like that really confuse me.

Forever-27 Guest
    Whats sad is that so many people buy into the Obama Propaganda Machines lies about unemployment. So for those of you that donâ??t do research, the unemployment rate that the news gives us is called U3, which includes those people who are on unemployment. This does not include those who have run out of unemployment or those who are working part time due to economic reasons. The U6 version of the unemployment does cover this demographic. Back when the U3 unemployment was at 9.0, U6 was at 16.2. When U3 was at 8.6, U6 was at 15.6. Now that the media is telling us that the U3 unemployment rate is 8.3 (conveniently during election time) we can assume that the real unemployment rate is in fact U6 15.3.
    While the state controled Obama Mania media will tell you that the drop in unemployment is due to an increase in jobs, this is only a half truth. Many of the jobs that were once a part of the United States have now been outsourced to other countries (meaning theyâ??re not here anymore). This decreases the size of the United Statesâ?? economy and makes available jobs more scarce .
    Finally, let us not forget that the U3 unemployment rate was 7.8% when Obama took office (thatâ??s U6 14.1%). Its amazing and sad what this flop of a President will do in order to be relected.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    Whats sad is that so many people buy into the Obama Propaganda Machines lies about unemployment. So for those of you that don’t do research, the unemployment rate that the news gives us is called U3, which includes those people who are on unemployment. This does not include those who have run out of unemployment or those who are working part time due to economic reasons. The U6 version of the unemployment does cover this demographic. Back when the U3 unemployment was at 9.0, U6 was at 16.2. When U3 was at 8.6, U6 was at 15.6. Now that the media is telling us that the U3 unemployment rate is 8.3 (conveniently during election time) we can assume that the real unemployment rate is in fact U6 15.3.
    While the state controled Obama Mania media will tell you that the drop in unemployment is due to an increase in jobs, this is only a half truth. Many of the jobs that were once a part of the United States have now been outsourced to other countries (meaning they’re not here anymore). This decreases the size of the United States’ economy and makes available jobs more scarce .
    Finally, let us not forget that the U3 unemployment rate was 7.8% when Obama took office (that’s U6 14.1%). Its amazing and sad what this flop of a President will do in order to be relected.
    Link please. I would like to check your numbers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forever-27 Guest
    Heres what I was able to slap together for you to see Neil

http://portalseven.com/employment/un...mp;toYear=2012
    Last edited by Forever-27; 02-04-2012 at 08:48 AM.

Whats sad is that so many people buy into the Obama Propaganda Machines lies about unemployment. So for those of you that don’t do research, the unemployment rate that the news gives us is called U3, which includes those people who are on unemployment. This does not include those who have run out of unemployment or those who are working part time due to economic reasons. The U6 version of the unemployment does cover this demographic. Back when the U3 unemployment was at 9.0, U6 was at 16.2. When U3 was at 8.6, U6 was at 15.6. Now that the media is telling us that the U3 unemployment rate is 8.3 (conveniently during election time) we can assume that the real unemployment rate is in fact U6 15.3.
    While the state controled Obama Mania media will tell you that the drop in unemployment is due to an increase in jobs, this is only a half truth. Many of the jobs that were once a part of the United States have now been outsourced to other countries (meaning they’re not here anymore). This decreases the size of the United States’ economy and makes available jobs more scarce .
    Finally, let us not forget that the U3 unemployment rate was 7.8% when Obama took office (that’s U6 14.1%). Its amazing and sad what this flop of a President will do in order to be relected.
    The U3 that the news gives us is in fact the official unemployment rate as issued by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This is a Federal body independent of both the Dems and the GOP. All parties use the U3 as it gives a better number, let us not delude ourselves to anything different. As I have noted lots of times, both parties spin the numbers up or down depending on whether they are in power or not.

I think the 8.3 number is a reflection of the new highs in the Dow Jones, NASDEQ etc due to higher demand in the economy which has stimulated employment. As I mentioned to Pauli earlier today, it is yet to be seen as to whether it is a spike in the numbers or part of the continuing trend downwards (hopefully).

One critical piece of news that you have failed to report in your analysis. Obama was inaugurated on 20th Jan 2009. To correlate Obama's election with a slump in the economy is a falsehood. He was elected whilst the American economy was still in free-fall. Sure you can cite the U3 or U6 unemployment numbers from the time of his election until now. However, you should also chart these numbers for the year prior to his election and you will see that he gained office in the middle of a downward trend.

So, lets look at the U6 chart you linked us to:

Unemployment was chugging along at between 7.9 and 8.4 for the majority of George W's Presidency. From December 2007 the upward trend began, beginning at 8.8 % to September 2008, to 11.1% when Lehmans filed for bankruptcy, and the numbers accelerated from 11.1% to 14.2% in the four months until Obama's inauguration. It then grew further to @16.5% half way through 2009. From then until October last year the rate varied between 16% to 17.2%. Obviously this is the inevitable trough and hopefully the worst of it. From Feb 2011 the unemployment rate has trended downwards from @16.2% (with the odd spike) down to the low 15% range. This months figures to me represent a continuation of the downward trend of the unemployment rate.

http://www-management.wharton.upenn....mato_nuevo.pdf

Heres what I was able to slap together for you to see Neil

http://portalseven.com/employment/un...mp;toYear=2012
    Thank you for that, it helped me articulate my argument above.
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 02-04-2012 at 09:39 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forever-27 Guest
    I was extreamly critical of George Bush and his poor handling of the economy from the onslaught of the great collapse in late 2007 until he left office. I was never a Bush fan by any means, so I do agree with you, Obama was handed a bad economy, my point is he took a resession and has made it a full blown depression. He said to the people on world Tv that if his stimulas passed the rate wouldnt go below 8%. The dems had total control of the the house and senate so as expected the stimmies all passed. The rate continued to rise anyways , the only thing the plans did was dig the country into deeper debt.
    My biggest gripe about this is that we were promised that his administration would be the absolute most transparent and open of any president ever. I see him churching up the unoffical rate as him taking advantage of the people, meaning most of the people do not know about the U3 rate, which to me at least is the true calculation of the unemployeed. Bush did this also, however Bush has been out of office for going on 4 years. Its Obamas economy now. Not Bush's. Bush himself did inherit a bad economy from Bill Clinton due to the dot com bust and the terror attacks in 2001.

26. 02-04-2012, 10:02 AM

I was extreamly critical of George Bush and his poor handling of the economy from the onslaught of the great collapse in late 2007 until he left office. I was never a Bush fan by any means, so I do agree with you, Obama was handed a bad economy, my point is he took a resession and has made it a full blown depression. He said to the people on world Tv that if his stimulas passed the rate wouldnt go below 8%. The dems had total control of the the house and senate so as expected the stimmies all passed. The rate continued to rise anyways , the only thing the plans did was dig the country into deeper debt.
    My biggest gripe about this is that we were promised that his administration would be the absolute most transparent and open of any president ever. I see him churching up the unoffical rate as him taking advantage of the people, meaning most of the people do not know about the U6 rate, which to me at least is the true calculation of the unemployeed. Bush did this also, however Bush has been out of office for going on 4 years. Its Obamas economy now. Not Bush's. Bush himself did inherit a bad economy from Bill Clinton due to the dot com bust and the terror attacks in 2001.
    George W had about as much control over the economy after the sub-prime fiasco broke as a driver on a run-away train. I have never blamed him for it because it was the collective decisions of previous administrations before him. Allowing savings banks to act as brokerages, de-regulation of the banking industry, day trading etc. This created a perfect storm of bad banking policy and dodgy lending practices.

So, how do you invigorate an economy? Lets look at the GDP again. Four key elements, Consumer demand (spending), Investment, Government spending and Imports minus exports.

Firstly, your balance of trade figures were and are in the shit. You were importing more than you were exporting because the cost of manufacturing in America was (and is) too expensive. There was an emerging trend of manufacturing being exported to China. Clinton et al tied to arrest this when signing in NAFTA. This gave American (and Canadian) manufacturers the opportunity to exploit cheap labour in Mexico, and since this manufacturing was on continental America, low logistical cost (truck being cheaper than a ship). However, China's siren call of cheap labour, combined with tax breaks (and loopholes), cheap land etc was too much to resist. So manufacturing and exporting was not going to save you.

The second way is to stimulate investment. For this fiscal and monetary policy are used. This didn't work.

Thirdly, the traditional view is that government spending on infrastructure projects will help the economy. Government pays companies, companies pay workers and the workers spread the money around paying bills and buying stuff.

Lastly, the government gives the population money to spend paying bills and buying stuff in the hope that will stimulate the economy, hence the stimulus package.

These follow traditional Keynesian economic theory that every President in the 20th century has followed; NAFTA, Hoover Dam etc. Interestingly, Obama was not Robinson Crusoe in respect to his stimulus package, most developed western economies did this. I would like to see the specific speech where he explicitly stated that the unemployment rate would go below 8%. I think you will find that he would have nominated that rate as a goal.

If the general population is blissfully ignorant of the U6 unemployment figures, that isn't Obama's fault, those numbers have been around since 1974 or so if memory serves. I cannot recall any President in any administration citing the U6 unemployment rate, so if Obama is to be held in contempt for not raising the U6, then so should Reagan, George H.W., George W etc.

The U6 may be the true unemployment in you eyes, but the official unemployment rate is the U3, and that is by the FED, BLS, the Dems and The GOP. They both rise and fall relative to one another.

Yes, it is Obama's economy now, and the unemployment rate is trending downwards.

Clinton overtook George H.W. Bush as president and inherited an economy in recession (if in doubt, refer to the U6 chart you posted earlier). He left George W with a surplus. I know more about your history than you, and I'm Australian....

The Largest Surplus in History:
    • The $123 billion surplus in 1999 is the largest dollar surplus in history, even after adjusting for inflation;
    • The surplus, expected to be about 1.4% of GDP, is the largest surplus as a share of the economy since 1951;
    • 1999 is the second year in a row of surplus, marking the first back-to-back surpluses since 1956-57;
    • This is the first time in U.S. history that we've experienced seven years in a row of fiscal improvement.
    The Largest Debt Reduction in History:
    • Over the last two years, America has paid down $140 billion in public debt, the largest debt pay-down ever;
    • The debt held by the public is $1.7 trillion lower than was projected when President Clinton took office;
    • As a result, in 1999 alone, interest payments on the debt were $91 billion lower than projected.
    What Debt Reduction Means for Americans. Paying down the debt means:
    • Lower interest rates cut mortgage payments by $2,000 for families with a $100,000 mortgage;
    • Lower interest rates cut car payments by $200 for families with a car loan;
    • Lower interest rates cut student loan payments by $200 for a person with a typical student loan;
    • Businesses have more funds for productive investment;
    • Rising investment has contributed to an increase in productivity.
    President's Budget Pays off Debt in 15 Years. Under President Clinton's budget plan, the publicly held debt would be paid off by 2015, resulting in:
    • elimination of interest payments on the debt;
    • more funds available for increased Social Security and Medicare costs for baby boomers;
    • more funds available for investment;
    • lower interest rates;
    • increased worker productivity and income.
    http://clinton3.nara.gov/WH/Work/102899.html
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 02-04-2012 at 10:43 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lemmy17 View Post
    It's not about their potential accomplishments, it's about their available resources. In America, a high number of black children (since a high number of blacks are in the lower class) do not have access to the same resources as the (generally) richer white children. They start with a handicap in that sense.

And as Ich said, Obama "singles out" many groups, either by race, age bracket, and/or sex. He did the same thing in 2008. There were stickers/buttons/areas/etc on his site for "Mamas for Obama", "African Americans for Obama," "Pacific Islanders for Obama," "Students for Obama," etc. I don't necessarily agree with doing it like that, but it's not in any way a new development for him.
    This first paragraph really rings true.

It makes no sense at all. And perfect sense.

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    The big JC was very much into redistribution of wealth.
    Remember the bit about how it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God?
    Mark 10:25 KJV:
    "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."

Christ used this illustration more than once in order to drive home His teaching that wealth can be the greatest temptation to stray from God's will for one's life and money can become one's god if a wealthy person permits. It's the mortal disposition within us that the wealthier we become, the greedier we become. A paradox to be sure but how many stories have you read about the death of unreasonably frugal millionaire? Christ was saying that wealthy people must especially seek God's strength and guidance in remaining in a right relationship with Him and not let his or her wealth become an obsession much less their idol or god.

Christ's point about the immense temptation of wealth has nothing to do with Obama taking the scripture out of context in order to promote more government confiscation of one's reward for hard work in the form of wealth. BTW, Christ did not specify or define what constitutes someone being wealthy. Are we to?

Remember the trials of Lot and how God rewarded him for remaining faithful...God restored Lot's wealth and more.

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."

Christ used this illustration more than once in order to drive home His teaching that wealth can be the greatest temptation to stray from God's will for one's life and money can become one's god if a wealthy person permits. It's the mortal disposition within us that the wealthier we become, the greedier we become. A paradox to be sure but how many stories have you read about the death of unreasonably frugal millionaire? Christ was saying that wealthy people must especially seek God's strength and guidance in remaining in a right relationship with Him and not let his or her wealth become an obsession much less their idol or god.

Christ's point about the immense temptation of wealth has nothing to do with Obama taking the scripture out of context in order to promote more government confiscation of one's reward for hard work in the form of wealth. BTW, Christ did not specify or define what constitutes someone being wealthy. Are we to?

Remember the trials of Lot and how God rewarded him for remaining faithful...God restored Lot's wealth and more.
    One suspects this does not apply to atheist heathens like myself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Great points, but it was Job. The only think Lot got was a move to a new country and a pillar of salt for a wife...
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Rosebud666 Guest

Did Obama actually cite Mark 10:25 somewhere? That was just the first thing that came to me off the top of my head.

Now see what I've gotten myself into - I'm gonna have to get my Bible and my concordance down from the shelf and do some studying.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post
    Great points, but it was Job. The only think Lot got was a move to a new country and a pillar of salt for a wife...
    LOL and don't forget he also got to have his daughters get him drunk and have sex with him so that his lineage would continue.

34. 02-05-2012, 06:21 PM

Richard Cranium Guest

Three years and no budget

Lets be honest, this is complete B.S. Democrats had a super majority for two years, no budget, and now again for a third year, no budget under the Obama administration. Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
    Lets be honest, this is complete B.S. Democrats had a super majority for two years, no budget, and now again for a third year, no budget under the Obama administration. Why not?
    A little hard to have a budget when you spend more then you recieve.

Bidmor Guest
    Doh! Brain fart. Yes it was Job whom God permitted Satan to try his faith. Lot's family got mixed up in the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Obama didn't quote Mark 10:25...the scripture quote he used was the second part of Luke 12:48, which he took out of context. Luke 12:35-48 provides what Christ was talking about i.e. the return of Christ to earth:
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...48&version=KJV

LOL and don't forget he also got to have his daughters get him drunk and have sex with him so that his lineage would continue.
    That was Noah.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Bidmor Guest
    If this keeps up, we're gonna have to start a Bible study thread.

That was Noah.
    Nope, it was Lot.
    "When you rob Peter to pay Paul.....Paul will vote for you EVERY time!"

- Democratic Party platform for 80+ years & counting...

Richard Cranium Guest
    Two American brothers of a Mexican casino magnate who fled drug and fraud charges in the United States and has been seeking a pardon enabling him to return have emerged as major fund-raisers and donors for
    President Obama
    ’s re-election campaign.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/07/us...tive.html?_r=1

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Taylor View Post
    Nope, it was Lot.
    Noah just got drunk, no incest

Those two stories are pretty close together. They get conflated a lot.

Glad you guys know what you are chatting about. So who was it that was quoted?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

As we say in Asia, 'No money, no honey'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seems like the November campaign is off to an early start.

Clint's Super Bowl ad doesn't make everyone's day

Forget making his day, Clint Eastwood has been accused of making Obama's year.
    Eastwood voiced an advertisement for Chrysler which aired during the Super Bowl, the highest rating program on US television.
    “It's half time. Both teams are in their locker rooms discussing what they can do to win this game in the second half,” Eastwood growls in the ad.
    Advertisement: Story continues below
    “It's half time in America, too. Detroit's showing us it can be done. This country can't be knocked out with one punch."
    Then came the corker.
    "Yeah, it's half time America. And, our second half is about to begin."
    Conservative US commentators jumped on the half time ad as meddlesome, and an endorsement of Obama's leadership.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/clints-s...#ixzz1lfqx3Tpj

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rosebud666 Guest

Eastwood voiced an advertisement for Chrysler which aired during the Super Bowl, the highest rating program on US television.
    “It's half time. Both teams are in their locker rooms discussing what they can do to win this game in the second half,” Eastwood growls in the ad.
    “It's half time in America, too. Detroit's showing us it can be done. This country can't be knocked out with one punch."
    Then came the corker.
    Conservative US commentators jumped on the half time ad as meddlesome, and an endorsement of Obama's leadership.

That's laughable, although the ad is really good. His Serene Ruggedness is about as liberal as Ronald Reagan or Charleton Heston. He was a supporter of Eisenhower and Nixon and endorsed McCain in 2008. He has enough money. If he hadn't wanted to do the ad, he would have told them where they could stick it.

Oh and anyway - wasn't it the conservatives who taught us that corporations are people and have a right to free speech?
    Oh, snap.
    Last edited by Rosebud666; 02-07-2012 at 08:57 AM.

Rosebud666 Guest
    If this keeps up, we're gonna have to start a Bible study thread.
    There is one, of sorts, search on "What do you believe"

Of course, if anyone really wants to start a DeathHag Bible Study thread, I'll go there.

I'm still working on my reply to you. I'm still stuck in the outline stage.

I do stand properly chastized for my off-hand reference to Mark, although not for the exact reasons you mentioned.

Mark 10:25 has to be seen as part of a whole unit that tells the story of the rich man who asked what he had to do to be saved. So it's not really a general prescription of any kind, but refers to this specific man.

I rarely cite chapter and verse because: a) unlike Ned Flanders, I had a lousy Sunday School education, b) I'm sadistic and like to make people look these things up themselves, and c) I tend to think more in terms of narrative and don't spend much time memorizing "proof texts".
    Last edited by Rosebud666; 02-07-2012 at 02:07 AM.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Glad you guys know what you are chatting about. So who was it that was quoted?
    We're just blathering on about the Bible, Neil. You can go back to sleep now if you like.

A little hard to have a budget when you spend more then you recieve.
    Seriously? So Bush's wars, drug plan and tax cuts were paid for?
    Last edited by JefeStone; 02-07-2012 at 05:39 AM.

We're just blathering on about the Bible, Neil. You can go back to sleep now if you like.
    LOL, I gots to know, just in case it comes up in a pub quiz.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seriously? So Bush's wars, drug plan and tax cuts were paid for?
    So history negates the truthfulness of my statement in 2012 or you want to make it a Republican v Democrat thing even though my statement was absolutely neutral.

So history negates the truthfulness of my statement in 2012 or you want to make it a Republican v Democrat thing even though my statement was absolutely neutral.
    Well since the Pubs insist on giving the rich the beiggest breaks, yes

Then came the corker.

The reason I think the add is inappropriate is because it was paid for by Chrysler (I believe I read 14million +), a company that was bailed out, then filed for bankruptcy screwing the american taxpayer and the sold partially to an Italian company whose interest grew to over 58%.
    It is portayed as a successful comeback for detroit. The company was bailed out, then bankrupt, the sold the majority interest to an Italian company. Thats a success story? It is sad when the population knows so little about business to realize the real winner here isn't even american.

On top of that it was political. The whole "second half" reference was obviously pro-Obama second term. You shouldn't take money from the taxpayers. screw them with bankruptcy, and then have the audacity to spend 14 million on a political ad. Am I overthinking this?

Quote Originally Posted by shipmatekate View Post
    Well since the Pubs insist on giving the rich the beiggest breaks, yes
    So the statement "You can't balance a budget when you spend more than you recieve" is not a true statement? Whether we are talking your household, you state or your country. I'll bite. How do you balance your checkbook when your deposits are less than your expenses?