Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Italian Cruise Ship Runs Aground, Keels Over

Giada Guest
    In fairness to the passengers I think the references to the Titanic were appropriate. I believe they were referencing the film, and it was dark with tables, chairs, furniture, crashing all around them, fearful enough that more than one person died of a heart attack.

Costa Cruise Lines has been useless to it's passengers, refusing to offer clean, dry clothes for the trip home, failing to return passports, stating the, "crew was well trained." A well trained captain does not leave his ship.

Giada Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by snowblindburd View Post
    Yeah I had a hunch that there should be some pictures from inside, etc. Thankfully my hunch was correct. I wish I could be there as part of the rescue effort. I absolutely love ships.
    I love ships, catamaran's, dive boats, sail boats ....

I've been on several wreck dives and they've been great, eerily serene.

Giada Guest
    Captain charged with manslaughter and abandonment.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...assengers.html

RogerV Guest
    The Captain is in deep shit. Even if he stays out of prison, he will never command anything bigger than a rowboat again. People are also in for a nasty shock about some very archaic provisions of maritime law that severely limit the shipping companies' liabilities. I haven't heard much about the conduct of the rest of he crew, either. Did the Executive Officer take over in the Captain's absence, or was it just total chaos with nobody in charge?

To be brutally honest, I don't think that modern ships are all that much safer than the Titanic. They are built bigger and higher, cram more and more people in them, and all the state of the art navigation equipment still won't bail you out of all situations.

It will be interesting to hear the verdict of the Board of Inquiry. It might be discovered that there was some flaw in the ship's design, which will send ships scrambling back to the shipyards to have the defects fixed. Even so, it doesn't excuse the captain.

The recording is full of background noises such as radio static, beeps and background noise of people and confusion.
    As translated by Reuters, the entire conversation went as follows:
    Coast Guard: Hello.
    Captain: Good evening, chief.
    Coast Guard: Listen, this is De Falco from Livorno. Am I speaking with the captain?
    Captain: Good evening, Chief De Falco.
    Coast Guard: Tell me your name, please.
    Captain: I am Captain Schettino, chief.
    Coast Guard: Schettino?
    Captain: Yes.
    Coast Guard: Listen, Schettino. There are people trapped on board. Now, you go with your lifeboat. Under the bow of the ship, on the right side, there is a ladder. You climb on that ladder and go on board the ship. Go on board the ship and get back to me and tell me how many people are there. Is that clear. I am recording this conversation, Captain Schettino.
    (Captain tries to speak but Coast Guard can't hear him clearly. Voices in the Coast Guard room.)
    Coast Guard: Speak up! (captain tries to speak) Captain, put your hand over the microphone and speak in a louder voice!
    Captain: At this moment the ship is listing.
    Coast Guard: There are people who are coming down the ladder on the bow. Go back in the opposite direction, get back on the ship, and tell me how many people there are and what they have on board. Tell me if there are children, women and what type of help they need. And you tell me the number of each of these categories. Is that clear?
    Listen Schettino, perhaps you have saved yourself from the sea but I will make you look very bad. I will make you pay for this. Dammit, go back on board!
    (Noise can be heard in the background. Apparently other Coast Guard officers are shouting to each other in the same room about "the ship, the ship")
    Captain: Please ...
    Coast Guard: There is no 'please' about it. Get back on board. Assure me you are going back on board!
    Captain: I'm in a lifeboat, I am under here. I am not going anywhere. I am here.
    Coast Guard: What are you doing, captain?
    Captain: I am here to coordinate the rescue...
    Coast Guard (interrupting): What are you coordinating there! Get on board! Coordinate the rescue from on board! Are you refusing?
    Captain: No, I am not refusing.
    Coast Guard: Are you refusing to go aboard, captain? Tell me the reason why you are not going back on board.
    Captain: (inaudible)... there is a another lifeboat...
    Coast Guard (interrupting, yelling): You get back on board! That is an order! There is nothing else for you to consider. You have sounded the "Abandon Ship." Now I am giving the orders. Get back on board. Is that clear? Don't you hear me?
    Captain: I am going aboard.
    Coast Guard: Go! Call me immediately when you are on board. My rescue people are in front of the bow.
    Captain: Where is your rescue craft?
    Coast Guard: My rescue craft is at the bow. Go! There are already bodies, Schettino. Go!
    Captain: How many bodies are there?
    Coast Guard: I don't know! ... Christ, you should be the one telling me that!
    Captain: Do you realize that it is dark and we can't see anything?
    Coast Guard: So, what do you want to do, to go home, Schettino?! It's dark and you want to go home? Go to the bow of the ship where the ladder is and tell me what needs to be done, how many people there are, and what they need! Now!
    Captain: My second in command is here with me.
    Coast Guard: Then both of you go! Both of you! What is the name of your second in command?
    Captain: His name is Dmitri (static)"
    Coast Guard: What is the rest of his name? (static) You and your second in command get on board now! Is that clear?
    Captain: Look, chief, I want to go aboard but the other lifeboat here has stopped and is drifting. I have called ...
    Coast Guard (interrupting): You have been telling me this for an hour! Now, go aboard! Get on board, and tell me immediately how many people there are!
    Captain: OK, chief.
    Coast Guard: Go! Immediately!

http://news.yahoo.com/coast-guard-or...124134509.html
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Quote Originally Posted by RogerV View Post

It will be interesting to hear the verdict of the Board of Inquiry. It might be discovered that there was some flaw in the ship's design, which will send ships scrambling back to the shipyards to have the defects fixed. Even so, it doesn't excuse the captain.
    I highly doubt they will find anything wrong with the ship. I think the fact it hasn't spilled any fuel and hasn't fallen apart shows it is doing exactly what it was built to do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    The recording is full of background noises such as radio static, beeps and background noise of people and confusion.
    As translated by Reuters, the entire conversation went as follows:

http://news.yahoo.com/coast-guard-or...124134509.html
    This is unbelievable. WTH?????

That was like speaking to a belligerent child.

This is my favorite part.

"Listen Schettino, perhaps you have saved yourself from the sea but I will make you look very bad. I will make you pay for this. Dammit, go back on board!"

And then Doph Lundgren says "I will break you."

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    This is unbelievable. WTH?????

That was like speaking to a belligerent child.

This is my favorite part.

"Listen Schettino, perhaps you have saved yourself from the sea but I will make you look very bad. I will make you pay for this. Dammit, go back on board!"

And then Doph Lundgren says "I will break you."

He is so screwed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RogerV Guest
    He is so screwed.
    Like I said, he will never command anything bigger than a rowboat again.

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    I highly doubt they will find anything wrong with the ship. I think the fact it hasn't spilled any fuel and hasn't fallen apart shows it is doing exactly what it was built to do.
    It's already been established that there was a massive electric power failure which plunged the entire ship into darkness. Power failures seem to be increasingly common in modern cruise ships. TheTitanic's lights stayed on until the very end. There is also concern that these huge ships are becoming increasingly top heavy.

Giada Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerV View Post
    It's already been established that there was a massive electric power failure which plunged the entire ship into darkness. Power failures seem to be increasingly common in modern cruise ships. TheTitanic's lights stayed on until the very end. There is also concern that these huge ships are becoming increasingly top heavy.
    The only claims to a power failure were made by Captain Schettino, after he struck the reef bed. This may well be a lie, the same one he told the crew who then relayed this to the passengers.

He appears to have turned the ship around attempting to maneuver it closer to the island when the list became greater. He then called to abandon the ship and promptly departed.

Djen Guest
    Coast Guard: My rescue craft is at the bow. Go! There are already bodies, Schettino. Go!
    Captain: How many bodies are there?
    Coast Guard: I don't know! ... Christ, you should be the one telling me that!
    ^^^ My favorite part of the exchange.

A little news story explaining salvage operations. I found it interesting: http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t1#...-scrap-dnt.cnn

Somewhere twixt San Antonio & Corpus Christi
    My brother made this
    Attachment 41089
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

American Progress

Rosebud666 Guest
    Call him Captain Crunch, because he's toast now.

Going forward, he'll be lucky if he gets to command the dinghy between his legs in the bathtub.

Of course, there is this (interview with an expert in maritime law):

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...expected-to-do

Executive summary:
    The captain has never been expected to be the last to leave. That's a romantic notion.
    Once local authorities have taken control the captain is required to respond to their orders.
    The captain shouldn't be blamed for the crew's poor training, if that emerges to be a factor in the disaster. That responsibility lies with the cruise line.
    If he knew his crew was poorly trained, he was responsible for reporting this to the cruise line.
    There is lots and lots of blame to go around. A lot of people did a lot of things wrong.
    Last edited by Rosebud666; 01-17-2012 at 11:06 PM.

^Indeed. I would guess that they never would have expected something like this even though they "train" for it and have drills (or not..). It just "would never happen to them."

On that note, the ship, which is resting near a drop off in the sea bed, is now starting to slip more. Sadly, if anyone trapped in her is still alive, I don't think they have much of a chance. Hopefully it does not sink fully and cause a much worse problem than what they're currently facing.

This still reminds me a lot of the S.S. American Star. Except this ship is in much better condition.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/18/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1

Somewhere twixt San Antonio & Corpus Christi

A little news story explaining salvage operations. I found it interesting: http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t1#...-scrap-dnt.cnn
    I wondered what they would do with the ship.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Thinking about someone still trpped in there is horrible.

Giada Guest
    Three more officers of the Costa Concordia are expected to be arrested today. Salvage operations have begun with the extraction of fuel.

Schettino was known for his, "showboating," before the passengers, machismo Italian crowd pleaser!

Let the damage control begin. A former ship's office plays hero in the media. Per the American passengers who have been interviewed the passengers helped each other.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Schettino.html

BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16606405

According to Italian media, Capt Schettino told investigators he had left the ship accidentally after tripping and falling into a rescue craft.
    Last edited by Giada; 01-18-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Nelliebean Guest
    Captain Schitt is in big trouble! There's plenty of witnesses to his behavior.

Giada Guest
    LA Times ...

http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-...tory?track=rss

On Monday, the International Maritime Organization, through its Secretary-General Koji Sekimizu, said the IMO needs to "seriously consider the lessons to be learnt [from the accident] and, if necessary, re-reexamine the requirements on the safety of large passenger ships." The IMO, a United Nations agency, monitors standards set by the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS), which have been continually revised since being established in 1914 in response to the 1912 sinking of the Titanic. (Although ships of U.S. registry must comply with Coast Guard safety standards and pass annual inspection, the Italian-flagged Concordia, part of the Carnival fleet, is not underU.S. Coast Guard jurisdiction if not embarking passengers at U.S. ports.

And therein lies one of the reasons we opted out of a Mediterreanean cruise with Costa Cruise Lines.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post

. . . According to Italian media, Capt Schettino told investigators he had left the ship accidentally after tripping and falling into a rescue craft.
    "Yeah, that's it ... that's the ticket! Tripped and fell into the rescue craft I did, yesiree!"

Geez, he should at least have used the Goebbels Strategy: if you lie, lie big. For he stands a better chance of convincing us that he was involuntarilly catapaulted from the bridge as the first Japanese bombs exploded.

Or perhaps he fell victim to a band of 14th century ill-tempered French mercenaries with a Captain-flinging catapault. "Now bugger off, you silly Italian types, or we shall fling your captain yet again!"

Somalian pirates?

Marauding Vikings?

Space aliens?

A very small and inappropriately named Bermuda Triangle?

His next experience in water may be a post-coital soak in a prison bathtub.
    Last edited by Rosebud666; 01-18-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Djen Guest
    The Coast Guard captain has become a national hero, and they're making T-shirts based on one of his comments.

http://news.yahoo.com/italy-enthrall...133527443.html

"Listen Schettino, perhaps you have saved yourself from the sea but I will make you look very bad. I will make you pay for this. Go on board (Expletive!)" De Falco yelled at Schettino during a 4-minute radio exchange made public on Tuesday.

The Italian word De Falco used, "cazzo" in Italian, is slang for the male sexual organ but it is commonly used to emphasize something, equivalent to "Go on board, damn it."

The imperative phrase in Italian -- "Vada a bordo, cazzo!" -- was already on T-shirts by Wednesday morning.

RogerV Guest
    What I would like to know is exactly how many lifeboats made it ashore, and who was in them. An aerial photo shows twenty (they're bright orange) neatly tied up at a quay. Of course, there may be others elsewhere, and it's important to remember that many lifeboats couldn't be launched because of the ship's list. Things were probably chaotic ashore as well, with a mix of emergency personnel from different agencies as well as voulunteer island residents who responded of their own accord. I suspect that the investigation will probably involve interviews with survivors in numerous countries to get an accurate picture of exactly what happened.

Giada Guest
    The latest from Captain Courageous ...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...icle-1.1008000

The passengers were crowding the decks, storming the boats,” Capt. Francesco Schettino told a closed-door inquest, according to La Repubblica newspaper.
    “I didn’t even have a life jacket because I gave it to one of the passengers. I was trying to get them into the boats in orderly fashion. Suddenly, because the ship was tilted 60-70 degrees, I stumbled and ended up in one of the lifeboats. That’s why I was there,” he said.
    The newspaper called it a “curious explanation,” noting Schettino was in a lifeboat with his computer — and two second mates. “Did they trip too?” La Repubblica wondered.

RogerV Guest
    Even if this extremely "fishy" story is true, the correct action would have been to take the passengers aboard the lifeboat directly to shore, and then return immediately to the ship. Next, he'll probably say he couldn't see the shorline... the one with a LIGHTHOUSE on it!

Giada Guest
    Unfortunately, Captain Schettino has a list of lies that can be corroborated. When the ship struck the reef bed, he reported to the Coast Guard he had an electrical problem, and they asked, "Is this an emergency?" Schettino replied, "No, I have everything under control."

Schettino proceeded to circle the ship back to the island of Giglio, which was both against company protocol and brought additional water on board creating an increase on the list of the ship.

Had Schettino stopped the ship immediately, declared an emergency and lowered the lifeboats, it's highly likely, not one life would have been lost.

I wonder if it's problematic with this specific cruise line or the industry, that there does not appear to be bridge management, wherein everyone has ultimate responsibility for input into decsisions made on the bridge.

Unfortunately, Captain Schettino has a list of lies that can be corroborated. When the ship struck the reef bed, he reported to the Coast Guard he had an electrical problem, and they asked, "Is this an emergency?" Schettino replied, "No, I have everything under control."

Schettino proceeded to circle the ship back to the island of Giglio, which was both against company protocol and brought additional water on board creating an increase on the list of the ship.

Had Schettino stopped the ship immediately, declared an emergency and lowered the lifeboats, it's highly likely, not one life would have been lost.

I wonder if it's problematic with this specific cruise line or the industry, that there does not appear to be bridge management, wherein everyone has ultimate responsibility for input into decsisions made on the bridge.
    You can't run a ship via a committee. There is one captain and he runs the show, for better or worse. I would be more critical of the employment policies and procedures of the company. As I mentioned earlier, I bet Costa was doing their own thing under the Carnival flag.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rosebud666 Guest
    This kind of reminds me of Joseph Conrad's "Lord Jim". Maybe Captain Crunch will end up as a chandler's clerk in some exotic port.

deanfan Guest
    He says he "tripped" and fell into a lifeboat. Who the hell does he thinks going to believe that, how lame.

RaRaRamona Guest
    hahaha As sad & tragic as this situation is, his excuses are freaking hilairous.

Giada Guest
    You can't run a ship via a committee. There is one captain and he runs the show, for better or worse. I would be more critical of the employment policies and procedures of the company. As I mentioned earlier, I bet Costa was doing their own thing under the Carnival flag.
    Neil, there is a difference between rule by committee and cooperative team work. At some point the airline industry shifted from the captain having sole responsibility and, "cockpit managment, team work," being the guiding behavior. Captain Sully spoke of this as did, Al Haynes, Flight 232.

If Schettino had had a strong team on the bridge who were able to question his decisions and contribute to the afermath the outcome would be different.

(Sorry, I don't usually use this word, but fuck Costas, they used the flag of Genoa for legal protection, same can be said of Carnival.)
    Last edited by Giada; 01-18-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Neil, there is a difference between rule by committee and cooperative team work. At some point the airline industry shifted from the captain having sole responsibility and, "cockpit managment, team work," being the guiding behavior. Captain Sully spoke of this as did, Al Haynes, Flight 232.

If Schettino had had a strong team on the bridge who were able to question his decisions and contribute to the afermath the outcome would be different.

(Sorry, I don't usually use this word, but fuck Costas, they used the flag of Genoa for legal protection, same can be said of Carnival.)

I see your point. My frame of reference is the military. It could work on a civilian ship though.

Panama is another flag they use, though to be honest I haven't looked into the reasons why. I bet they are dodgy though lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Djen View Post
    The Coast Guard captain has become a national hero, and they're making T-shirts based on one of his comments.

http://news.yahoo.com/italy-enthrall...133527443.html

When I listened to the tapes, the anger & frustration of the Coast Guard Captain was incredible. As well as it should be. Seemed obvious to me of how stupid this cruise line Captain really was. The Italian Coast Guard and it's Captain did an incredible job, no thanks to Captain Schettino.

Three more officers of the Costa Concordia are expected to be arrested today. Salvage operations have begun with the extraction of fuel.

Schettino was known for his, "showboating," before the passengers, machismo Italian crowd pleaser!

Let the damage control begin. A former ship's office plays hero in the media. Per the American passengers who have been interviewed the passengers helped each other.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Schettino.html

BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16606405

According to Italian media, Capt Schettino told investigators he had left the ship accidentally after tripping and falling into a rescue craft.
    Tripped? Schettino's stories just get more pathetic every time he open's his mouth.
    Cindy

If this is true, they will surely scrap the ship.

Israeli-American owners of Carnival Cruises lose half a billion on Italy shipwreck

JERUSALEM — A little-discussed factoid of the Costa Concordia calamity off the Tuscan coast: Carnival Cruises, the cruise ship’s parent company, is owned by one of Israel’s richest families.

Carnival Cruises is owned by the Israeli-American Arison clan. The shipping company was founded by its Tel Aviv-born patriarch, the late Ted Arison, and its CEO is Micky Arison, his Miami-based son. His daughter, Shari Arison is Israel’s richest woman.
    The disaster has already claimed 11 lives, and 23 passengers of the 4,000 aboard when the luxury cruise liner ran into coastal reefs remain missing.

Blame for the shipwreck is increasingly being laid at the side of Captain Francesco Schettino, who abandoned ship with hundreds of passengers still on board and refused Coast Guard orders to re-board and coordinate the rescue, saying that “it is dark” and he couldn’t see. According to Italian media, he now faces up to 15 years in jail.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches...ipwreck-arison
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Djen Guest
    I totally tripped once and fell into a bank vault. I had no choice but to take all the money I could carry...

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Terrible story!

Giada Guest
    Ship Captain to Port ... "It was just a blackout."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...be437df79bbf27

ROME (AP) — A new audiotape emerged Thursday of the first contact between Livorno port officials and the Costa Concordia — and the captain is heard insisting that his cruise ship only had a blackout a full 30 minutes after it had rammed into a reef.

Giada Guest
    Decision to be made soon on change from Rescue to Recovery

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/19/world/...ain/?hpt=hp_t3

Captains Brother

The brother-in-law of the captain who has been arrested over the shipwreck defended him in an Italian newspaper Thursday.
    Capt. Francesco Schettino "managed to avoid a tragedy -- it could have been worse," Maurilio Russo said in Corrierre della Sera.
    And he denied that the captain had abandoned ship.
    "He was not running away, he came down (from the ship) to survey the damage," Russo said.
    Russo also said the route the captain took was not out of the ordinary.
    ''It is a usual procedure, the owners are well aware of it, it is useless to pretend otherwise," he said. "Passengers pay to see something and skirting very close to the shore is part of the show."

Link is provided to court documents.

Giada Guest
    Concordia at high risk of sinking ...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...l-missing.html

The Costa Concordia cruise ship that ran aground on Italy’s Giglio island is at “high risk” of sinking, threatening Europe’s biggest marine park as a storm heads toward the area.
    “It very much depends on the change in weather conditions,” Environment Minister Corrado Clini said in Parliament in Rome. The government plans to declare a state of emergency for the area at a Cabinet meeting tomorrow, as well as approve a measure that would restrict cruise ships from access to sensitive coastal regions.

Idiots ... why did they allow ships within the marine park.

(I have made many dives off Catalina Island in California, and there is a marine sanctuary in Avalon. Neither divers nor boats are allowed within.)

Quote Originally Posted by Djen View Post
    I totally tripped once and fell into a bank vault. I had no choice but to take all the money I could carry...
    I got a great laugh out of this! However, you owe me a new laptop as it came outta my nose as I read it.
    In Loving Memory of Timothy Houdek, October 22, 1969 - January 8, 2013

My awesome dad: Harry Houdek, September 8, 1933 - November 20, 2013

Words can't convey how much I miss you both. RIP with love.

Your laptop came out of your nose? OUCH! =P

Also, some more stories and video footage of dives:
    http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/19...ter/?hpt=hp_t2

Giada Guest
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...esco-schettino

The Corriere della Sera newspaper reported that investigators had established that Captain Francesco Schettino spoke on three occasions to the ship's operator, Costa Cruises, via its emergency unit before the evacuation began.
    Investigators wanted to know whether the 68-minute period that elapsed during the course of these calls was because Schettino had underplayed or underestimated the gravity of the damage sustained by the liner, or because Costa Cruises, a subsidiary of Miami-based Carnival, had been reluctant to sanction a decision to evacuate that might cost it millions of euros in compensation, the paper said.

Foschi said that the company, and the Italian authorities, had known of and agreed to an earlier nighttime "salute" of Giglio in August last year. He said the firm had reviewed in advance the captain's intended course and that the vessel passed "not closer than 500 metres from the island".
    But his assertion has been called into question by the London maritime daily Lloyds List, which published a map based on Lloyds List Intelligence tracking data. This indicated that the earlier course took the Costa Concordia within 230 metres of land, close to the point at which the ship hit the rocks last Friday.

Your laptop came out of your nose? OUCH! =P

Ack... missing one phrase. Drinking pop and it came out of my nose.
    In Loving Memory of Timothy Houdek, October 22, 1969 - January 8, 2013

My awesome dad: Harry Houdek, September 8, 1933 - November 20, 2013

Words can't convey how much I miss you both. RIP with love.

Haha, I figured there was more to your story!

And wow, seems this incident could have happened many times before.

Captain ordered dinner after the crash:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/19/world/...ook/index.html
    Cindy

Water coming into the Costa Concordia:

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t3#...amid-chaos.cnn